Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Does anyone have recommendations for painting a concrete basement floor? Paint types in particular. I'm not married to any brand but I've used Sherwin Williams for the rest of the house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

For my TV I bought some raceway, painted it the color of the wall and mounted it to run from behind my TV to below the top of the stand below it. It works great and changing out cables (not that this happens often) is very easy.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I bought a handful of these from jcpenny's site (both darkening and light-filtering variety) for a pretty good price as they're literally always on sale: http://www.jcpenney.com/p/jcpenney-...D1noxajZ1z140zj

The size I needed came out to about $40 per window. They install super easy and they seem to be of pretty good quality, coming from someone who has purchased blinds exactly one time.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

What does everyone use for grass seed? I live in Maryland and my backyard is fenced in with a dog, so it gets a lot of heavy use. Looking for something potentially durable. I've been looking at some rye grass since I've heard they have high traffic tolerance but in all actuality I have no idea what to look for.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

New roof o’clock! Does anyone have any input on the cost/performance benefits of asphalt shingles vs a metal roof? I have a little cape cod style house so the roofline is nothing crazy.

I’m in the process of getting some quotes as well.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

qmark posted:

I was raking out some of the winter kill this weekend and I encountered this on the trunk of a rhododendron that is next to my house:

Scattered on the ground was what looked like sawdust:

I didn't see any insects anywhere. When I pulled on trunk with just a little pressure it seemed like it was ready to snap.

Nothing on google (searching for wood boring insects and pests) seems to match what I'm seeing here.

Has anyone ever encountered this before? Do I need to bring in somebody to look at this?

Some type of woodpecker? Seems odd to be on a bush though.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

Do I need a special part for that?

My main concern is the washer hookup is on the other side of the washer room so I'd need to run it across the place, and one could accidentally trip over it or otherwise damage it (it's also a storage room).

I have a newer Samsung dryer with that feature, the dryer actually came with a 'Y' connector and a hose to use for the cold water hookup.

It also amazing, I've only had to iron a handful of shirts/pants in the last 12 months that were particularly wrinkled.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Does anyone have any opinion of roofing shingle brands/product lines?

Most quotes I'm getting are either Timberline HD or Certainteed Landmark, a lot of posts on reddit poo poo all over Timberline due to a supposed drop in quality in recent years, but that could just be reddit.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I'm patching some broken/chipped/missing parging on my block foundation this weekend.

After some research I picked out a mix, got some bonding agent and all the other necessary supplies. Aside from cleaning the surface well prior to application, anything else I should be on the lookout for? I've been studying youtube videos of guys doing this for the past week so I feel at least somewhat confident I can manage this task.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Ashcans posted:

It's not ok to just saw along the property line because that can potentially injure or kill a tree, and you don't get to freely destroy property just because it impinged on yours.

Get an agreement with you neighbor or consult a lawyer. Or really both.

Yeah check with the neighbor first but a lot of places have laws that state you can trim whatever the hell crosses your property line, if the neighbor refuses to do anything about it. Check ur laws before you...wreck ur saws.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Droo posted:

How weird would it be if you hired a professional to do some work and they showed up with a plug-in drill or something.

My grandfather (who was a general sort of handyman/property maintenance guy) used the same Makita 6012HD (9.6v) drills for as long as I can remember. Once he retired he went out and bought one of those full DeWalt sets, no idea why he waited that long!

And the old IT service company I used to work for literally had a huge corded driver they sent out with cable guys because they couldn't be hosed to buy proper tools.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

We're having some asbestos pipe-wrap insulation removed from our basement. It's currently covering all of our hot-water radiator pipes. Would something like this (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-1-in-Fiberglass-Plumbing-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation/3131255) work as a good replacement once its all out? Or is there some better alternative?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

Why not foam? It's super easy to install and doesn't fill your lungs with glass.

I saw foam in my search results looking for pipe wrap insulation, I just assumed it wasn’t intended for use with pipes that would get hot. I think the furnace has a peak temp of 145F or something like that.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

On the topic of floors, I ripped up some old carpet to reveal the beautiful pine floors underneath.

I’d like to keep the color while refreshing them a little, are there any good heavy duty cleaners I can use before having someone come by and do a buff and coat? I’d like to avoid a full refinish if possible.

See worst spots: https://imgur.com/a/8CpY8FN

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Potrzebie posted:

Murphy's oil soap seems fine and appropriate.

I have heard that depending on the finish of your hardwood, oil soap can be very bad. I would just use Bona with a microfiber mop.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Moved into a house with a gas dryer (previous dryer was electric so we left it behind) and it is super efficient. The only thing I miss is the steam function for getting out wrinkles.

Also the washer here is old as gently caress and has an agitator but it still runs great and does full loads in like 15 minutes. Aside from energy savings, is there any reason to upgrade this thing before it dies?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Medullah posted:

I've never had a sump pump before, so I apologize for the extremely dumb question.

I have a dehumidifier for the basement - it has a built in pump on it. Am I better off using the pump, attaching it to a hose and running it to the sink by the washer/dryer, or is it okay to dump it right into the sump pump well?

At my previous house I dumped into the pump, no issues. If it gets full enough it will simply do its job and pump it out.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Can anyone recommend any products for cleaning old hand gunk off of a bannister? Probably 60 years worth of poo poo, I don’t care if it strips the finish as well.

Same goes for hardwood, I have some that was under carpet and while the floor is in good shape, it’s just covered in grime in spots. Elbow grease?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Fun discoveries: started breaking up floor tile for the bathroom reno and discovered it was installed over old floor tile, which was subsequently installed directly over the hardwood floor.

Once all this crap is removed and I’m left with the bare hardwood, what’s the best backer for installing floor, that I can just easily install over the hardwood?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

skipdogg posted:

What are you putting down? Tile?

Yeah, forgot to mention that. I intend to put down some mosaic tile for the floor.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

StormDrain posted:

What condition is the hardwood floor and subfloor beneath? Tile floors need a strong base that doesn't deflect much. Rotten moisture damaged flooring will cause your grout joints to crack and pop. The old flooring was probably higher than the floor outside, right? If so, now is a good time to cut out the hardwood and put new subflooring in, and tile backer. It'll probably end up level with the flooring adjacent as an added bonus.

If it looks great and you don't identify with what I had above, I like Hardiebacker. Install instructions are online and easy to follow. I put it beneath a washer and dryer and no issues so far, it's been a year of unbalanced loads.

The hardwood is the subfloor (aka no subfloor), the house was built in 1920 (or before). I am hoping I can just scrape up the original tile & mastic (still sticky!) and have everything else come up with it. Any floor seriously damaged can be cut out replaced with OSB, but I was mostly wondering what to do on top of that. Hardiebacker does seem like a good option.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"Hardwood" means wood from certain species of tree. It's possible that your subfloor is made out of some kind of hardwood, but if you just mean subfloor then say subfloor. "Hardwood" makes me think that you're talking about a nicely-laid-out hardwood floor which is itself resting on a subfloor.

Subfloors were commonly made from solid wood before cheap sheet materials were a thing -- my house built in the 50's has a solid wood subfloor on the second floor, for example.

My house is heart pine (not technically a hardwood but beautiful flooring nonetheless) directly over the joists throughout the entire first and second floor. My previous house (built in the 50's) was oak flooring directly over joists on the main floor, and rough-er pine boards over the joists in the upstairs (as a proper subfloor).

The only time this current floor is acting as a subfloor was when dipshit previous owners put down carpet or laminate as 'updates', which have since been ripped up.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

does the amount they're putting down really matter to you? I've never sold a house but how does that even make a difference ultimately?

Doesn't that play into the type of financing they're using, thus making the whole process faster/slower?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

We out this on one wall in our daughters room at our previous house. I would do it again.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I conveyed my previous washer/dryer set (Samsung units about 5~ years old) and got stuck with what the sellers left behind at the new place, a Whirlpool sub-brand gas dryer and an ancient kenmore washing machine with an agitator. They both work excellent, with the exception of the washing having an issue draining fully once or twice due to the size of the load I crammed in.

The one thing I miss 100% and the only thing that makes we want to replace them is the steam option on my old dryer. It was amazing never having to iron clothes. Throw the wrinkliest linen in there and it would come out flat in 15 minutes.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

MJP posted:

We ented up with Starmark - lots of reasons but they came out on top in terms of price by a little, plus the dealer was willing to work with us on a package deal on the countertop. They had a remnant we liked which might just do the trick

Another big question series - posted this in A/T and got no traction; if there's a home decor/design thread that's a better place to post, please let me know.

We're going with these doors in a honey stain, the appliances will all be slate gray (we aren't fans of stainless steel or white), and we'll be using this countertop .

I have a few questions about where we should proceed on a few colors - specifically, elements of the backsplash, the floor tile, and the paint for the walls.

1. We want to do one row of this tile, with two rows each of a less vibrant color above and below. Two rows neutral, one row the blue linked tile, two rows neutral. Something like this.What sort of color should we be looking at for the neutral?
2. We were initially looking at a neutral bisque or warm white slate look porcelain tile for the floor. With the countertop, it may be too much neutral. Would a taupe tile like this be a good pick that doesn't blend too closely with the slate appliances?
3. We were thinking of a light gray paint with a mild blue tint that helps bring the blue flecks in the countertop and the backsplash tile together, while complementing the cabinet color. Is that a good idea? Or should we be thinking of some other color?

I almost went with the Slate grey variant of my GE stove (https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-5-3-...UknQPeVw6RTY0g0) but it amounted to a $300 price difference at the time so gently caress that. Looks like it's only an extra $100 now.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Looking at refinancing, got a rate of 2.875 on a 30 yr from a local-ish credit union, no points.

I know rates have been low and essentially change daily, does this seem like an okay rate? I have great credit and will probably get another refi offer from another institution, just wanted to see if anyone here has done it recently.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

devmd01 posted:

IMO yes. We just did a refi a few months ago to exactly that rate and dropped a whole 2% from our rate, which is gonna end up saving us a stupid amount of money on top of being able to pay it off in 20 years by attacking the principal with the savings difference.

Yeah I bought in early 2019 with a rate of 4.5% so I’m just looking to drop the rate.

The calculation from the loan officer said I would be saving about $260 a month which is great.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Sharkbite has a kit specifically for replacing those vampire taps, I’ve been meaning to do that for a while now.

But also yeah, ice makers are great. gently caress filling trays and accidentally spilling water in your freezer.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Evil Robot posted:

Hello thread,

What kind of wood finish is this? I've got some termite holes to fill with putty / scratches to use a marker on. Any thoughts?

(other than "crappy and left by the previous owner", yes I already know :))

It’s hard to tell from here but is that bamboo? The grain pattern was throwing me off for a minute.

I’m not sure what they finish bamboo with but it’s probably whatever came from the factory if I had to guess.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Seriously considering buying an outdoor camera if only to catch the shithead that keeps leaving their dog poo poo in the hell strip out front of my house.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I guess I knew this would happen, but goddamn: 30 seconds after I hit submit on Ally's site to look at refinancing rates, I got two phone calls, two texts, and one email from them asking me if I wanted to discuss and lock in my rate.

In my younger and more vulnerable years, I put my contact info into LendingTree. Think whatever you got from Ally x100.

Do not do this.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

What are some good places to get patio furniture (online?). Local options seem to only be the usual Lowe’s/HD.

It’s for a large covered front porch so no real direct element exposure aside from temps and maybe a little rain. I feel like I keep seeing the same 5 sets rebranded online.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Just put some Terro traps by the area they come in.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I bet if you showed that to a local fence company they could do it for you. Some 4x4s with 2x4 stretchers and the wire just looks like it’s sandwiched between 1x2s.

A lot of fences are certainly just premade panels nailed into 4x4s, but it just depends on what you want. I had a 3-board fence installed a few years ago with a wire mesh backer in it, not unlike the one you posted.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll take a look at both, and get some quotes.

Is getting a request for quote with pictures and a statement of work from a homeowner weird? I'm including some rough powerpoint drawings laid over photos of the property but should I require they prepare actual drawings?

I mean I would expect them to want to come out and measure for any kind of quote. I don’t know much about fence construction but they would probably need to calculate number of posts and the measurements of the material making up the ‘panels’. But it wouldn’t hurt to include photos in the initial contact especially since you have an idea picked out.

My fence job was for one that went around the property line so they gave me a map of the property with where the fence was going for the permit process.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

hobbez posted:

This LED panel just started blinking when it's on. Full on strobe mode:

Pulling the light down reveals:

Really uncomfortable with electric and know nothing about LED panels so not really sure how to trouble shoot this, especially since everything seems kinda hard wired in. Does the panel need replacing?

I put one of those things in the hallway at my old house, I think it was like $30 so nothing crazy. It started doing the same thing when powered on.

I replaced it and it went away. This was a few years ago and now they have a lot of ‘nicer’ slimmer led lights that avoid the need for the little screw nipple in the middle.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Could be a ‘defect’ tool that didn’t pass QC that someone bought up en mass and is reselling on Amazon, as if they give a poo poo about the products you buy. I would return it and pick up something local, even ordering on Home Depot/Lowe’s website for in-store pickup.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

Any light fixture or fan you put there will 100% cover up those rough edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

I got one of those snakes you hook a drill onto for like $25 at Walmart one distraught evening, 50ft length I think. Harbor Freight and other big box stores likely sell identical models with their own branding.