Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

DJCobol posted:

I max out my Roth and my HSA. I don't max out the 401(k) though because I dont like the options I have through my employer's plan. It's just in a target year fund, but the ER is twice as much as my Vanguard options in my Roth.

Tax benefits and the ability to roll it over to Vanguard when you move companies probably still make it worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

It's also worth checking craigslist for grills. I got one several years ago for $40, and while it is rusting a bit now, can't argue with <$10/yr running costs. It worked great for burgers and such. I'm sure a new one is better, but for what I used it for, I didn't notice a difference.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Drunk Tomato posted:

I was thinking based on the name that this was some joke website that was nothing but a blank screen. Imagine my surprise!

I'm annoyed I didn't buy the domain first to do that very thing.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

What do people have their homeowners deductible at? I'm a first time home buyer (spoiler alert to the 2017 goals thread), trying to decide what to set it at.

I have a 6 month efund and save about 60% of my income, so I'm thinking we can afford a good high deductible. The default I was quoted was $1500. Does $5000 seem ok? The difference is about $150/year, which doesn't seem like that much, but even the $1500 deductible is only $550/yr, so that's a pretty big savings percentage wise.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Any opinions on interior paint brands to buy? I know to avoid cheap stuff, but that's about all I know.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Besides, it's not like Menards is any better.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

TheManWithNoName posted:

Where can I get the best bang for my buck to replace all the doorknobs and hinges in my house?

Congratulations on your awesome house that has so few problems you're replacing doorknobs. I want to be you.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I've been reading this thread for a while, since I recently bought my first house. I now have my first plumbing project. What is that series of books people always bring up here about electrical and plumbing work? Black & Decker? Alternately, recommendations on how-to plumbing books?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

I finally managed to find a manual that could properly explain the control lock on my dishwasher. More importantly, I removed the arm and cleaned the filter. (I couldn't open the blade casing because I don't have a torx drive.)

After cleaning out some disgusting solid wads of bacteria, a rubber cap, a loose screw, and some cherry pits and corn kernels, it seems to be running a normal wash cycle without any problems.

Related to this, is there a good dishwasher maintenance guide somewhere? Not fixing stuff, just cleaning stuff like this. Our house came with an older Bosch that's filthy, but I've never opened one up before and wouldn't know where to start.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

We're hosting an outdoor party in an area that recently flooded. Do any of the area of effect anti-mosquito products work? Is there something we can spray, or have out that will keep them away?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

I'd say this is a good point: it's not so much whether it works for me, but rather that it works on the varieties fo mosquitoes in this general area. I don't know anything about breeds and differences, but I came across this stuff because it's what the professional applicators are using in this particular area. So looking into what they use in your area is likely a good starting point for anyone looking for this type of solution.

Thanks for all the advice.

So I got the stuff and a sprayer. Where all do I spray it? Just around the yard in general? Never done anything like this before.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Someone in this thread had a recommended toilet (Motronic?) but I can't find the post. Mind reposting it please?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Thanks for the suggestions (and I found the original post, it was for the American Standard Champion 4 Max Tall).

After spending more time than is healthy looking at toilets today, I apparently want the unicorn of toilets. Round, standard height, but not the bargain basement parts and flush that those choices seem to imply. If I wanted a $50 toilet with those options, I'd be spoiled for choice, but decent parts apparently mandate tall elongated toilets.

As long as I'm dreaming, it being available at Menard's where I have a gift card, would be icing.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 28, 2018

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Any recommendations for the most useful/best value of those extra tools assuming starting from scratch?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Motronic posted:

Bosch 800 series.

I needed a dishwasher, knew this, and bought a nice floor model from another brand instead, and have regretted it ever since.

Bosch 800 series.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Hello thread! In my continuing quest to gross out my very traditional mother in law, we have asked for a bidet for Christmas (after getting a toilet from her 2 years ago). She has obliged on the condition that we shop for it and pick it out, so she only has to give us some money.

I recall there being someone in this thread who has done extensive research, but I can't find it anymore. Anyone have recommendations? We have a small bathroom, so it definitely can't be a separate unit, and we're not looking to replace the toilet, so it'll have to be a standalone nozzle (or maybe seat I guess?). Hit me up poo goons!

EDIT: Of course just after posting I found it. What's the advantage to the seat ones over just a nozzle? Do they heat water or something?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Dec 31, 2020

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Plumbing question:

My washer drains into my utility sink. I've noticed the sink's drain is slow lately, allowing the water to back up 3/4 of the way up the sink when draining. I'm planning on cleaning out the drain, but there's no obvious way to put an auger down there, so I've been lazy about it.

Today I went down as a load was finishing (so the sink was full) and noticed a lot of water on the ground coming from where the drain attaches to the main drain line. It is leaking from a cast iron pipe that leads into the concrete floor. I'm definitely calling a plumber here, as this is well out of my league, but I guess my question is, am I hosed or am I turbo hosed?

Album: https://imgur.com/a/v0Bt7iy

The pipe joint only seems to be leaking water there when the sink is backed up, and dries out after it is drained. Not sure what to make of that.

EDIT: Second question: The utility sink itself has seen better days and probably needs a new drain kit. I can't seem to find one at any place locally (Home Depot/Menards, hardware stores), and the manufacturer charges $50 shipped for a replacement. Googling "plumbing supply" seems to be a bunch of places that only serve plumbers directly. Is there some other store I should be looking at? Failing that, we have a double laundry tub, I could get a single tub for about the same as the drain kit, and I basically never use the fact that we have 2 tubs, is there any reason I shouldn't just buy a single?

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jan 18, 2021

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Tezer posted:

If you're balking at the $50 drain part, you're going to be in trouble here. It's not going to be a very expensive fix but if $50 makes you start bargain hunting you're in trouble.

Haha, no, just was complaining about paying 50% of the part's cost in shipping and was hoping there was some class of store that would stock that sort of thing locally.

Thanks for the evaluation on the main issue. It does seem to my uneducated eye that it is at its end of life. I guess what I was wondering is how can that even be replaced? I assume it will involve bashing up the concrete or is there some joint there I'm not seeing where a new one can be attached?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

but always having an extra basin is great.

See, I'm not doubting you at all, but why?? I don't think I've ever used it, besides dumping some stuff down the drain.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Any strong opinions on water softeners? We live in a very hard water area, and our current one just isn't doing the trick anymore. Any brands/features I should be looking for? Approximate price installed?

I know some people lease them, but I assume it makes more sense to just buy it, or am I missing something?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Just how hard is the water (if you don't know an appx location is fine) and is your water municipal or from a well?

You probably covered this with your extensive post (thanks!) but just in case it matters, it's municipal water in southern Wisconsin. Haven't gotten it tested here, but the water utility says it averages 24.5 grains or 420 mg/l.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

skipdogg posted:

Wow, that's pretty hard, we have similar hardness levels around San Antonio, and we pull our water straight out of a limestone aquifer

assuming you're around Madison, this is who I would call. Clack valve, solid local small business. No idea about pricing but reviews say its fair. https://www.foxwater.com/

Was quoted $1000 for a 32000 grain high efficiency softener, clack valve, installed. We use around 3000 gal/mo according to the water utility and have between 25-33 grain water, depending on which well is servicing us.

That capacity seems ok to me, based on a web calculator I found it would mean regenerating every 7-10 days, which feels about right.

Price wise, looking at a couple of other places, that cost seems lower than the other independents, higher than the big box, and it's below what your expected range was (although with fewer people), so I think I'm going to go with it. Thanks for the help!

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I'm an idiot and don't know anything, but I seem to remember hearing that solar doesn't work as a backup to grid power because if it were allowed to work, it would feed energy back into the grid during blackouts and potentially injure line workers expecting a dead wire. (Or is that only if you have net metering set up?). Writing it out this doesn't really make sense, since the same would be true for generators, so I must be missing something.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Hadlock posted:

The 42k btu will be cheaper to run if your wife likes to take long extended scalding hot showers in the depths of winter in like, Wisconsin

If you live in Texas or Arizona I doubt there's any functional difference, particularly in the summer

Keep my wife's name out of your motherfucking mouth.

And Madison is a beautiful city.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Does anyone have recommendations for an outdoor couch or decent brands of outdoor furniture? Looking to add something to the deck. I don't have budget in mind yet, but I'm definitely looking to spend enough to get something that won't immediately fall apart (but also until I'm sure this is a thing we'll use a lot, I'd probably also avoid anything crazy expensive).

I can be more specific with dimensions and such if it helps, but I'm looking for brand recommendations as much as anything. I'm in Wisconsin, property is shaded.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

PainterofCrap posted:

My neighbors beside me & across the street have exactly the same homes (my block was allegedly built by the WPA to provide low-income housing for homeless squatters on the Woodbury Creek during the Depression); they have both shelled their interiors and thus installed multiple-level registers and returns, and their HVAC does a far better job of cooling their homes into the 60s.

I have basically this same problem. What is "shell[ing] their interior?" I'm assuming just some sort of wall insulation, but I couldn't find anything googling (just a lot of results for how to use seashells as decor).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

My cousin once told me he 'didn't have time to learn how to apply silicon'. My dude, the time it would take you to watch a 4 minute youtube video and just do it is going to be a tiny fraction of the net time spent trying to hire someone to do it for you. And yeah, your first go with silicon is probably going to suck, but so what - that's the journey. I still have my very first silicon job in my bathroom and it's kinda a loving mess, but it seals poo poo and I learned, and I got better. It took me all of 3 or 4 more attempts before I got way better and the costs is $12 and literally under 15 minutes per job.

I think the biggest help for me (and to be clear, I'm very much the computer toucher can't do poo poo with my hands type, but I'm learning!) was years ago when my wife and I did silicon on our tub liner, and were so scared of making the job look terrible that we got one of those smoother tools (highly recommended, it looks great) and spent a long time on it until it was perfect.

Then we had a guy in to fix something that involved having to redo the silicon. He said he could reapply it for some small amount (~$20?) or leave it and let us redo it. It was a small enough amount that we just paid and then his job was way worse than ours. It was a good reminder to us that, especially on simple jobs, giving a poo poo is like 90% of the job.