Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've owned a house for 4 days and already have tired of it. So much little poo poo to do.

Also good news is.. when the power company turned off the power somehow my 60 year old furnaces pilot light went out. So now hopefully furnace replacement is considered essential work for contractors so I can get it done before moving in. Totally going to not be anywhere near or around the house whole they work etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Look up the model of the furnace, you must surely be able to find something online that tells you where to stick your lit match.

No.. you don't understand it's not working... If it's working it can't be replaced until my states regulations are lifted. If it's not working it's essential.

I mean I guess I can look up how to light pilot on a 1962 ac Delco oil furnace converted to natural gas.. but right now it's not working...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'll probably try and light it tomorrow. A few of the companies said they'd come out and give quotes so I'll have to be at the house for a bit. Even then the temps aren't going to be too low and I'm not living there so not a huge deal.eithrt way.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Cormack posted:

At the bare minimum, watch whoever does it so if it goes out in the future you know how to relight it yourself.

yeah I've re-lit several boilers / furnaces but nothing this ancient, and nothing that's been oil converted to natural gas.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'm not calling ones to relight the pilot. I'm calling ones to quote a replacement and adding AC in an empty house that I will be moving into in a bit. So far 1 has come over, 1 had me take pictures and measurements, 1 is coming tomorrow.

For the guy today I unlocked the house and opened the door then said go do your thing while I unload my van into the garage. When he was done I locked up, hand sanitized and then he called me with his questions on what I wanted.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Not sure what my states regulations on home improvements are. One company said they'd only do it as an emergency, the others didn't ask.

If 3 of the 4 companies in getting quotes from aren't really having qualms about doing it then I'll let them do it at their discretion. When I was there yesterday I relight the light.

Sorry for causing everyone so much stress.

edit:
1. I looked into lighting the furnace today, there's no thermocouple / safety features to prevent gas from flowing if pilot is out.
2. Guy doing a quote today confirmed and said if we're not in the house to verify it's heating occasionally, he'd highly recommend not lighting the pilot as it's potentially unsafe if the pilot goes out again. When he reviewed everything he said that a lack of power should not have caused the pilot to become unlit so without knowing why it's out it's best to keep gas shut off to the furnace.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 8, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I'd only buy a steam / condensation dryer if it was the only choice. 3hrs a load is insane I do like 3-4 loads a day on my work from home day.. couldn't imagine 12hrs for drying. My brother has one and he mentioned 2-3 hrs to dry a load of towels.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So a thing I found in my new house. There was this thing (a 70s ish make your own plug) plugged into the basement but I didn't know what it could possibly be. So I traced this mystery wire and it went like 8ft to the wall and up.. hmm weird let's unplug it and figure out what's not on.

So I unplug it and flip the switch that turns on the garage light and the outdoor light by the door and none of that turns on.

First few weeks of homeownership has been a magical puzzle solving experience of hmm what's this.. oh that's a really interesting (read hosed up) way to do that thing.

One owner homes aren't great when the previous owner knew enough to really do some weird rear end poo poo. And or did a quick patch job and then forgot to like finish it because it worked.

edited because I forgot words.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 21, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

resolved I thought I had that part finished but instead I didn't. Mayybe the house has infected me.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yay homeownership..

My stairwell may not fit my dryer.. let's.hope it does when I move Monday.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Why's this sink leaking around the drain underneath Oh probably because they didn't use any putty around the drain.

Well kinda, but I also summize they tried to tighten the poo poo out of it because they didn't have a good seal around the top of the drain and it leaked or knocked it with something like a bit wrench because they wanted it tight and chipped the part the rubber seals to so it just leaks like a fucker...

gently caress. Homeownership blows after living here kinda for a week all the patchwork and neglect is really starting to show.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I have a shark cordless stick vac that I use in the regular. It seems to work well. My big canister just sits in the closet now. You can usually find them ~$100 on Groupon as refurbished units.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Talked to a handyman, who told me that removing the old dishwasher and installing the new one would be a 6 to 8 hour job. That feels excessive, though I have no real basis for comparison.

Oh gently caress no uless he's charging <$10/hr. it should take Joe schmoe 6-8hrs if you include looking at what tools you need buying them removing the old one, seeing you need something else, going to the store then coming back and finishing up.

Here's the steps
1. Cut power a
2. Remove that trim piece or just cut it because it's stupid
3. Unscre the top 2 screws that hold the washer in places.
4. Pull out old one and disconnect wires and the plumbing (shut off the the water too)
5. Do the opposite of 4 on this one. And probably run to the store because the supply for this one is different for whatever stupid reason.
Turn on power and water and make sure there are no leaks.
6. Slide it in hole
7. Level it with the little screw feet
8. Attach 2 screws that hold it in
9. Done.

A pro who does this day in day out should be able to do a dishwasher in like 2hrs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah just cut the trim and have BB do their install...

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yuk sorry dude. Can't you just delete the cabinet it's in?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I feel like there needs to be a :PO: smiley this poo poo is infuriating and happens a lot, there's so much in my house that just gets to 90% and then welp.. that last 10% sure sucks to have to redo all 100% to get it right.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Dearest wife decided to climb on top of the counter right on the part over the dishwasher. The counter ceded by about a third of an inch. The counter is still level and looks fine, so it might just be some settling street whatever work the previous owners handy man did. Or it might be that the whole thing is about to collapse. Called the good handyman over, so I'll find out next week...

More and more it looks like the money we saved for the stuff we wanted to do is going to go to the stuff we need to do. Still a bargain given the price we paid, but i just want the surprises to be done.

Welcome to home ownership, owned this house for a month and keep finding things that I go and write down on the fix this poo poo eventually once I can make runs to Lowe's on the regular. And a list of fix this poo poo sooner rather than later.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

the only thing people aren't dying to sell is chest freezers.. in the US pretty much everyone is 2-6 months backordered

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

this 100% looks like a boob light that's missing somehthing

If you turn the light off and look straight up there's probably a hole where you can put a threaded tube in and put the "boob" back on the light you can probably get replacement glass / tube from the interents especially if you can read the sticker to see who made it

Edit: took a picture with my glass off.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 12, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

call maintinence / landlord to check it out or kill the breaker and undo the like 2 screws that attach it to the wall and then attach it to the fixture and check out why you released the blue smoke.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just get a new 'old work box' for the fan and hang it between the ceiling joist. I'm going to assume I'll have to do this when I replace the fans in my house and will most certainly buy one with the first fan and keep 1 on stock as I replace them. They're like 7 bux.

Or is this a fan on floor 1 with a floor 2 above it? If so just get one of those ugly rear end fan medallions to cover up the hole ya gotta make.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Nah an 80s house is good and I don't think I've ever heard of drywall with asbestos. Mostly it was time and insulation / wrapped around furnace ducts..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My HVAC system is original to the house (1981) and every year the inspector says "this thing still works and looks fine but like... it's not supposed to last this long... definitely replace it this year"

I should really do that BEFORE it dies

But also I have double pane aluminum windows so there's barely any point to having an HVAC system until I replace those

Just maybe get some replacement quotes for replcaement and stick money in the budget for a replacement so when it dies you're ready.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

reminds me that I need to get one of those for my garage.. I've got an auto door and it's the only way to enter the garage.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Def grab like 3-4 of the 5 gal Lowes/home depot buckets.. they're great.. quick demo garbage cans. quick bucket for carrying water / cleaning etc. They're like $3 each and are very useful.. even just as a seat flipped usidedown while you work on poo poo

Harbor freight has an okay bag for like 6bux. I have 1 okay quality lowes open one for when I stick my drills in em. it's nice to have bags with different needs. Right now I have an electric one (Wire nuts, stripper, circuit tester, non contact tester), a wrenches one / plumbing (wrenches, putty, teflon tape). and the my lowes one is general construction. Knife, measuring tape, drill bits, driver bits, small level, a 10 pack of #2 bits that work in both drill and impact.

I've found that trying to go all in sucks though.. you're not going to get everything you need in one go.. just know where the poo poo is.. don your mask and gloves and run in / out. My lowes in store pickup is a few hours.. my home depot is a day or 2, Ive' actually gone in and picked my own order and brought it back to the desk because there was 1 of something I needed left and I didn't want it to get nabbed off the shelf.

I tried to list all the poo poo I've bought comign from a similar situation of losing all my tools after a divorce.

General:
Screwdriver set
Socket/ wrench set
I think the Kobalt 129ish or so tool kit is a decent start for the above
level: one 3-6' and one 12 inch
Speed square
Regular square
Some twine
3-6 of the lowes folding utility knives (and not that 45° to slide blade out poo poo) and a 50 pack of blades. it's nice to have a knife within a 30 second search
Sandpaper and poo poo

Plumbing:
Channel locks
10" pipe wrench (a second would be nice)
Teflon tape
Plumbers putty

Power tools:
Drill / driver set (ryobi has 2 3AH battery and free 79 dollar or les tool) for 99 bux it's a good deal if you want to go green.
Second drill is nice if it's in your budget.
freestanding light
Impact driver
Saw of some kind to cut poo poo (corded circular saw is most versatile)
Shop vac
Extras: orbital cutting tool and Recip saw
Miter saw and stand also a very nice to have if you're planning on cutting lumber.. but that can be bought when you realize you have a lumber project. The metabo / hitachi one is low cost and has served me well.. Sliding is nice but basic compound works in most situations.

Outdoor:
Mower / Trimmer / hedge trimmer
shovel
Garden rake if you plan on doing outside bush removal / dirt laying etc.

Electrical:
2-6 GFCI Outlets if you don't have GFCI breakers..
several regular outlets
Wire nuts
Wire strippers
non contact tester
Extension cords (like 1 6' and one 50')
a few surge protector / 6 outlet powerplugs

Painting: someoen has a good list above.

Everything else is going to be project based I feel.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 28, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The Dave posted:

It took me way way WAY too long in life to understand that I need to own both a drill and an impact driver.

Wait till you try 2 drills and impact driver. After hanging something like 15 blinds I enjoyed the extra took and not having to switch bits. An impact driver would have been Overkill

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I'd get more quotes for that furnace and AC as well as calling someone else on the repair..

If everything else works a fan is a pretty cheap replacement.. they just want to sell you poo poo or don't want to be bothered spending an hour replacing the fan.

2.5k for the water heater also seems high unless it's a power vent. I got a 40 gal Power vent one installed for like 2k..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

have you called any dedicated plumbing places for WH replacement? I know a lot of places are HVAC+Plumbing but might we worth calling a local plumbing only place. It also depends on .
In terms of repair vs replace.. all depends on your budget an dwaht you feel like doing. 800bux to get a a little more time out of it before you replace it may be what you need, or maybe you've got it in your budget to rip the bandaid and get it all done.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DrPossum posted:

Hello. I have purchased a house.

A moment of silence for any money you had. it belongs to the house now.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

Fuuuuck.

Woke up to water stains/dripping water right in my dining room, right below our shower.

Is this a start-by-calling your home owner's insurance thing?

Probably not a call your homeowners insurance thing because generally homeowners insurance doesn't cover "something in my house broke please fix it" usually it's acts of god or
people tripping on your sidewalk, a sudden water leak spraying your valuable book collection. They might cover your drywall if it's bad enough but if it's just a stain you can cover with some kilz probably not

Sounds like one of your pipes might be leaking (drain or supply). Do you have an access hole to get to your plumbing from the backside in a closet or something? shutt off the water supply to that shower and either poke around or call someone to poke around.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 13, 2020

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Looks to me like a tamper resistant outlet hence the TR you need to push both prongs in at the same time to use it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

sewer repairs are $$$.. got anyone else coming plumbing varies a LOT.

What's wrong with yours?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Sirotan posted:

I got this one, and also bought the HEPA filter plus the vacuum bags and have been very satisfied with it: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-12-Gal-5-0-Peak-HP-NXT-Wet-Dry-Shop-Vacuum-with-Filter-Hose-and-Accessories-HD1200/304006023 Probably my most used tool since thus far.

The hepa filters are nice I have the standard and sanding dust just goes right through it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

You should buy him lunch and if he refused send him a gift card or whatever yo something he likes. This way he'll keep wanting to help you. I do mechanic work for my friends and the ones that are like thanks man and gimme a handshake I really only want to do easy stuff for. The ones that hand me a gift card I'll work on more bullshit stuff for. A $50 gift card is a drop in the bucket compared to the extra $400 a shop will charge you to do brakes and it's a nice gesture.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's mostly an occasional thing probably less than it'd be to get a DD at a hundred bux then gently caress around sticking it on a bucket.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

It's true. Instead just hire an unlicensed electrician to install your new welder dryer EV charger combo unit

Probably wouldn't be covered..

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

It's like you're getting free blown-in insulation every time you run the dryer

Free, extra-flammable, blown-in insulation.

Speaking of

I just dropped 870 US dollars to get 400sq ft of blow in insulation and a vent for my attic fan to get it to blow outside instead of into the attic.
Room is already a bit more comfortable.. next steps is walls and the 60s era windows. but that'll be awhile.

I'll recommend this guy to anyone now. He was one of the few that actually wanted to do the job. And didn't' give me a stupid "gently caress you" quote.. or recommend they cut a hole in the ceiling / roof to get the insulation in. Most of my quotes were in the 2k range.

Note: the attic is above an addition.. has a max of 16" from bottom of ceiling joist to roof.. it's 400sq ft. and previously had oh I dunno like 6" of insulation. so the room was generally 5-7° warmer than the rest of the house. So far best 870 I've spent. poo poo it would have cost me somewhere around $500 to get the insulation @ home depot.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hawkeye posted:

This was supposed to be a quick victory stuff to get the ball rolling but yikes.

Hi homeowner, welcome to owning a home, every project may be 1 trip to home depot or 8 it may be 15 min fix, it may be 8 hrs.. no one knows.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

SpartanIvy posted:

And each fix reveals 1D6 additional projects.

i think a D10 would be more accurate.. used as 0-9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

My real estate agent has a lexus with a vanity plate "REFRALS"

This is probably bad.. that means every service they recommend is due to kickbacks.