Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Any suggestions on where I can get some sconces and ceiling lights? I'm mostly interested in finding a couple brands that will have something well-built. I've found a couple that have entire catalogs that belong in the lobby of a hotel/office building. I also am not interested in "old timey candle holder". I'm still looking for what I do want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hey some of them are all 3! I'm facing choice fatigue at this point.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You can get an ice-maker that just fills up a bin in the freezer. Not sure if you can get a thru-the-door ice dispenser without the water dispenser part. Or maybe that's what you meant.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

aDecentCupOfTea posted:

Through a liberal amount of both WD40 & wiggling, the pop up plug in my bathroom sink has popped back up!
We can’t figure out how to get the whole thing out (assuming it is being held in by gunk at this point) but as soon as we can remove it, it’s getting replaced with a normal plug- pop up ones make me think of cheap hotel bathrooms & I figure less moving parts= less faff.

Mine just unscrews. I have to clean it out periodically, but at least it's been easy to get it out to do the cleaning.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
There's a Makita tool case in my attic, sitting on one of the soffit boards and just out of reach. One of the roofers must have set it there and then put the sheathing right over it. Someday I'll have to get a fishing hook or something to try to grab it. I assume it's empty, but maybe I'll get lucky.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Sirotan posted:

-Had a carbon monoxide detector go off this morning, and for a brief moment the thought that I'd need an emergency hot water replacement flashed before my eyes. Was probably just humidity from my shower though, maybe lol

This seems concerning. Does your alarm have the numbers on it to show the level?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Are they paying to install it as well? It looks like something that would replace your main water shutoff, or go immediately downstream of it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
What do your closing documents say? My HOA tried to say I had to pay some stuff that was already paid at closing. Thankfully it just took a single email to clear that up, but I was pulling out my docs to show that payment.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My condo association is replacing the roof, siding, and gutters on all buildings in our complex. My building is on the end of the list, so I've only been hearing horror stories about balcony railings not being reattached properly (apparently one was held on with just tape? Or maybe they mean there was some caution tape put up) and A/C and cable lines being cut.

I don't have a balcony, so I'm unlikely to die, but I'm wondering what other things should I be looking for, that maybe aren't as apparent. Something that would result in a leak later on.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I bought this to replace the existing kerf weatherstipping in my front door: https://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-Platinum-1-in-x-81-in-Brown-Door-Weatherstrip-Replacement-43347/311533184 Turns out it's too thick and my door no longer closes when it's installed. (I also was dumb and only ordered one piece instead of the three I'd need for the whole door, but that worked out in my favor) I managed to put the old stripping back in while I figure out what to get instead.

I didn't figure out what the measurement is to say how thick it is when compressed. Do I need to go to the store and just look at a few and figure one looks about right?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

NotNut posted:

Yeah, she owns her home. The commercial just convinced her that cyber thieves or glib phone tricksters are going to steal her title if she doesn't get insurance.

Title insurance covers issues things that cause the existing deed to be invalid. Undiscovered liens or unfiled deeds for example. Sometimes it covers fraudulent deeds. Basically it covers a situation where your purchase doesn't result in you actually owning your property at the moment you signed the papers.

It doesn't cover any future activity.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
We bought some West Elm dining chairs. They were fine for the price, but the construction was questionable. Like 3/4 had screws, and 1/4 had nails. Also one had some holes drilled in the wrong spot and filled by dowels and redrilled. Nothing visible but top quality either.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
If it's dying you might have to take whatever is in stock.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
That reminds me, the door to my attic is a hollow core interior door. I'd like to have at least something insulated. Do I want an "exterior" door to replace it? It's kind of a small door, not a typical entry door size. Is there someplace I can special order from?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The Hangin' with Mr. Cooper site is full of ads, love to click through multiple interstitials to get my statement or whatever. They decided that we immediately had a shortage in our escrow which is lame, but I don't think specific to them.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Replaced a ripped window screen. Replaced the plungers that hold the frame in while it was taken out. It was pretty easy, cheap, and I'm happy with the results. My ideal project.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I know that the claimed low temperature limits on a heat pump are not at full capacity. Of course, the lower the temperature outside, the more capacity you need. Is there a calculator anywhere to figure out the btu available at the lower temperature?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Maybe you should get a professionally monitored alarm system for both sides of the duplex, and you and your mother can be mutual contacts for the other. That can lead to a "I've fallen and can't get up" alarm for mom.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Anyone have lightning rod on their roof? A home in my area recently went up in a huge fire started by a lightning strike and all the neighbors are getting on the lightning rod train.

Statistically I know the risk of strikes is minimal, but the memory of 15 foot flames taking over the roof is hard to get out of my head.

For some reason I thought we were still talking about stoves, and I considered if I should have a lightning rod for my stove. I mean if lightning struck my stove somehow, it would probably explode I guess?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Some A/C units, usually the thermostat, have a start delay to avoid short cycling the compressor.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm looking for a new bathroom vanity. The plumbing there is special, with the supply coming out of the floor, and the waste exiting to the left. I've been looking online a bit, and I can look at the photo and know if I could make it work or not. But are there any sites that have filters that could exclude stuff that doesn't work for me? If I could at least exclude the floating wall mounted and open shelving bottoms that would help.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

NomNomNom posted:

I think you want a pretty standard cabinet vanity then. You typically cut holes in the back/bottom/side as needed to fit your plumbing. Nothing off the shelf is going to have a hole in the right place.

Yeah, I keep having to go through pages of stuff with drawers in the way. Why do so many cabinets have a drawer on the bottom?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My condo association requires a professional dryer duct cleaning every two years. Good to know my neighbors won't be burning the building down, but I hate paying so much for something I could do myself. Also, my vent run is 20 feet or so, it seems to be hindering performance even when freshly cleaned.

I keep considering a ventless heat pump dryer. I wouldn't have to clean the vent and the stupid long duct wouldn't matter. Are they any good, would I hate it just as much?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Arkanomen posted:

Home Ownership: It may be a money put, but its my money pit

All the stuff that would not be fixed at all if I was renting.

Struensee posted:

We've had our Samsung for 3 or 4 years and it's been fine. It destroys clothes over time, partially because of all the buttons on my kids' clothes, I think, but it's not different from any other dryer I'd assume. Takes 3 hours and 15 mins to dry a load of laundry, about as long as it takes to do the same load of laundry.

I'm guessing you have a front-loading washer? I think that might be a necessary upgrade for me as well, I think they tend to extract more water from the clothes than a top loader.

BonerGhost posted:

We had a washer/ventless dryer combo when we were overseas (so some of this may not apply to North American machines) and I liked it a lot because I could just put certain of my clothes in before bed and have them washed and dried when I got up.

They take a really long time to dry clothes though, and the one we had would not clear lint off the clothes. We bought new towels and they kept that new towel fuzz for several washes which was pretty annoying. With ours, you couldn't really dry on low heat the way you can with a vented dryer, you were basically just choosing how wet you wanted your clothes at the end of the cycle. For a lot of my clothes that meant line drying because they couldn't take higher heat.

I think the control on my current dryer is busted, the "low" heat seems to be the same as the "high" heat. So I wouldn't be losing anything, but good to know about.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Uh, if you're actually getting 3 amps current flowing between the frame and a ground wire that is a dangerous situation. Or you don't know how to use your meter then that's maybe dangerous in a different way.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I think I cried a little when the first coat of primer went up and hid the dark purple accent wall in the master bedroom.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Ayudo posted:

Continuing freeze chat: I'm currently protecting my exterior faucets with hard styrofoam caps and loosely wrapped dishrags. I assume they capture radiant energy from inside the house and do just enough to keep the outside spigots from freezing.

Are these really more effective than just dripping the exterior faucets? They've worked so far, but I'm a little nervous about the extended hard freeze we'll be in over the next day.

My faucet has a shutoff inside the house and I drain the water out of the line.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Does anyone else get builder's remorse? Cousin of buyer's remorse? Like why did I start this project? Now I have to finish it. Or why did I open this up and reveal this concealed bullshit?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Are those actual reads or estimated reads? Your bill should have the meter read on it. Does it make sense? Are within (last read + last month usage) today?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Yeah, I used blinds.com for one set so far, with another on the way. I bought their brand of aluminum mini blinds. They seem fine, nicer than the set that was there before.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Hot surface ignitor?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
You could FedEx the check to the co-owner and have them endorse, cash, and send you the proceeds. You're out the $$ to send it but at least your policy is in force.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Missing a drip leg on the gas line?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Your fittings took the pressure long enough, once all your neighbor's weaker poo poo blew the pressure would have presumably been relieved enough for you to escape unscathed.

So a "you don't have to outrun the bear" situation. I wonder if the water authority would appreciate having a pressure relief valve installed upstream of the meter. Probably not.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Is their insurance still valid?

I don't know how much a homeowners policy covers the workers or damage from their accidents to start with, but how much of that continues if you allow a group of known fuckups to keep working on your property.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

SpartanIvy posted:

If you have gas in your house you should do yourself a favor and install these near your gas appliances.

https://www.amazon.com/Nighthawk-Mo...s%2C118&sr=8-10

Any suggested battery powered models? My utility closet doesn't have any outlets.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I'm Hank Hillio. I need LP for my gas hole.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I don't get my CO alarms calibrated, but I also only trust them to have two states. Good, and Bad. I take it radon detection isn't even at that level to trust for 10 years?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
My township has weekly large item pickup. It's effectively unlimited for condo dwellers. For single family homes it's a total of 5 items per week, any combination of trash cans, bags, or large items. I don't know about a limitation in masonry, but no "contractor generated" stuff, diy only. Not sure how they determine that. I guess if you have a building permit? The guy putting poo poo on the curb isn't getting a permit either.

We also have appliance pickup by appointment, monthly e-waste drop off at the town hall, and weekly paint drop off.

I'm in a disposal utopia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Mr Cooper got hacked and sent a link to the very trustworthy domain mrcooper info.com