Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I have a Samsung heat pump dryer and can attest it. It does take longer than a typical vented dryer (usually about 1.5 hours for a pretty full load), but it's absurdly efficient. It costs less to run than my washer in electricity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I just put my house into Mint so it periodically checks the redfin estimated value, without having to actually see the other houses I might have missed out on.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

It depends on how much air flow there is between the rooms. You will, objectively, get a better more consistent experience if you put air conditioners in each room. But that's obviously more expensive up front and will cause more cold air to leak out from the gaps between the windows you have in each room.

You can also look into mini splits. They will be significantly more efficient than air con units mounted in the windows. It can also work as heaters in the winter time. They do, of course, have significantly higher upfront costs however. They are the most affordable permanent solution for air conditioning for a house that isn't already set up for it I would say.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Femtosecond posted:

This house has ducting and a furnace that is apparently compatible with being hooked up to AC so I suppose if I wanted to pay for it that would be the most ideal setup, though like, I'm really not sure whether I need to spend the several thousands of dollars on that when Vancouver is only really obnoxiously hot for like two weeks.

My interest in AC is kind of more of a band-aid to get me through a summer of working from home in this hot second floor office.

Sounds like you can start with one window unit for your foyer there and test to see if it gets you what you want. If it doesn't you can always go out and get more.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

My one and a half year old roof is leaking and the original installer is just absolutely refusing to pick up the phone to honor their warranty so I have to get someone else to come out and fix it before it causes more damage. I've had a couple of contractors come out to give quotes on what is needed to fix it. they both found ponding water on my flat roof for my row house in Philadelphia that likely needs to get fixed one way or the other. One said that it would be $800 to just fix the immediate leak but that the ponding will need to get fixed as well sooner rather than later and that would be about $5,000. The other contractor that came out said that they could spray down a silicone roof coating to cover the whole flat part of the roof which would both fix the immediate leak and be resistance to the ponding issue. That would give me a 5-year warranty for about $3,000 however I would have to have them come out once a year for about $175 to perform yearly maintenance to maintain that warranty.

It seems like the silicone approach would be the better one. Since my previous installer is refusing to pick up the phone and honor their warranty I effectively have no warranty at all for the roof. So paying $3,000 to get essentially a new roof for the flat part of it as well as get a warranty that would actually be honored, judging by the reviews that they have gotten that I've seen online, seems like a better deal than $5,000.

Does that seem right and make sense?

I've contacted my home insurance provider and I'm having them come out to provide their own estimate so hopefully they will cover at least some of the cost of the roof repair that's needed. But as of yet they haven't made it out. I would assume that the insurance company will probably try to say that the roof workmanship was subpar and that they are not responsible for the damage.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

That was basically what they said, that the ponding won't matter since silicone doesn't break down in the presence of standing water.

The ponding isn't super deep so I don't think it would be a danger in terms of causing the roof to collapse from the weight.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Spikes32 posted:

Are they not picking up the phone at all, or just not for you? Are they completely out of business? You could try calling from a new phone number if they're still in business. Maybe take them to small claims court? Or see if your insurance company will try and take them to court?

They picked up once and said they would send someone over, then never showed up, never called to confirm and didn't pick up again when I tried calling a half dozen times.

Other people online have complained about these folks not picking up.

I can't go through the whole small claims process while I wait for this leaking roof to get fixed. It needs to be done soon.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

skipdogg posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't be filing a HO claim for 3K. Homeowners is for serious major claims only. The rate increase from filing a claim will cost more than just covering it out of pocket. I'm not sure what roofing deductibles are like where you are, but I know mine is 1% of the home value.

My deductible is $1,000. Now if they're only covering damage to the drywall on the ceiling inside of the house then I will just drop the claim.

If they'll cover the roof though and it may be worth it if the deductible is $1,000 and it costs me between $3,000 and $5,000 to fix it.

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Is it an installer's warranty or a manufacturer's warranty? Rather, is the warranty through the roofing company or through the maker of the roofing materials? If the latter, find the instructions on your warranty certificate and forward the manufacturer the quotes from the other roofers. The manufacturer will usually then cover repairs and then will follow up with the roofers to give them poo poo about making them pay out a warranty claim.

If it's through the roofers then 1)LOL, and 2) leave them reviews on Yelp, Homeadvisor, Google, everywhere you can giving specific complaints and a time table of them not covering their warranty. This MIGHT make them hurry up to get you to take those reviews down. Or they might ignore it, but at least you are then one more data point against that company when someone looks them up later.

The warranty is through the roofers unfortunately. The previous owner of the house is the one who got the new roof. They just passed along the warranty to me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Shockingly, I managed to get a hold of the roofers who originally installed my roof and they said they would come by and fix it Monday or Tuesday of this week. It shouldn't surprise me of course that they never showed up never called and never alerted me to reschedule or anything. They have a one-star rating on Yelp and an f rating in the BBB. I looked up their address as well and it's just the dude's house. So while I could physically drive over there it probably would not be the best idea. So at this point I'm going to give up on them get another contractor to do the roof either with a complete redo to fix a standing water or with the silicone coating that should be unaffected by standing water. Does anyone else here have experience with a silicone covering on the roof does it hold up well over time? That is the cheaper option that I've been quoted and the materials they are using seem to be a common one.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

H110Hawk posted:

Get it done and sue them. Stop playing games and don't threaten them further. Talk to an attorney about the specifics but it's likely small claims sized. Remember time is of the essence to repair a roof. Save all correspondence (print it out) and write a log of what happened, what was promised, and what then didn't happen.

That's the plan. My insurance said they would cover a tarp over the roof while I'm waiting for proper roofers to come and fix it. So I'm going to see if I can get someone to do that ASAP.

Anyone have any opinions about silicone versus traditional roofs?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

This roof thing is being a real nightmare. My insurance company asked me to get someone to put up a tarp and I did, it cost me $450. That goes toward my deductible I suppose. The leak is around the exhaust fan for the bathroom so as one does they tarred up the border with the tarp and the roof since it's a flat roof. If they just laid it down it would get water underneath it as soon as it rained. Then they sent out someone to inspect the roof and they didn't have any tar with them to lift it up and then replace it. And now they want me to have another contractor come out to remove the tarp then they will have another inspector come around and then I need to have the contractor come out a third time to replace the tarp.

Insurance company knew it's a flat roof and I told the inspector the day before that it was a flat roof and that had been tarred around the edges of the tarp to ensure that it was water tight.

Just absolute loving morons.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well to update on my roof, I had someone out to finally put down the latex covering to fix the issue. They finished only a few hours before we started a good five days of rain. It dumped a few inches overnight and no leaking so far so that's taken a lot of stress off of me now.

Now to just deal with my insurance company and try to get them to pay out. I'm for sure sending them the warranty that I had with the original installer so that they can seek to recover their losses against the previous contractor because gently caress that guy.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

EwokEntourage posted:

On time experts wants to do this whole shebang with cleaning our hvac unit, cleaning the outside compressor, adding a drip pan, etc. it’s like $1000 quoted for just the cleaning and like $4000 for everything they recommended we do. It’s obviously a sales pitch but is there any validity to getting your hvac unit cleaned? It’s relatively new and seems to work fine but they claim we can lower our energy bill significantly and prolong the life of the unit

We do have a bunch of pets if that Matters

Cleaning your HVAC unit can definitely help, but honestly all you probably need to do is take some dish soap and drizzle it inside through the fan grate and then take a hose and spray it in there as hard as you can until the soap stops coming out of the bottom. The unit is designed to be rained on so you won’t hurt it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I would look at a heat pump water heater if you need to replace it at this point. It does double duty of being your basement dehumidifier and your water heater and will cost half as much to run as an electric water heater.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Like the dinosaurs in Jurassic park, water always finds a way.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Just make your own call on what your risk level you're comfortable with is. I live in a remodeled rowhouse in Philly originally built in the early 1900's with a finished basement. But I also live on the top of a hill (more or less) making the water table WAAAAAAY far below my house and reducing the likelyhood of water intrusion due to a heavy storm.

I still only use my basement for exercise equipment, laundry stuff, and storage though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Highbrow Slick posted:

Speaking of water getting into houses - during last night's rain I awoke to discover a steady drip of water leaking down through my bathroom vent fan. Yay. Now I get to spend some of today finding out whether the HOA may cover it (unlikely unless it is roof-related) and then probably calling...idk who even would look at that. HVAC?

This happened to me over the summer and it was a roof issue. I obviously don’t know your exact set up but that would be where I personally start.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Hubis posted:

Glad I put that qualifier. That's been my experience this far, but maybe it actually is just regional? I might also not know what I am talking about of course.

Are you in a place that requires flood insurance?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I’ve been hearing some scampering in the ceiling and the other day I saw a field mouse on my first floor. I assume they are trying to set up shop in my walls. Is there a no kill trap I can use to capture them or should I just call a animal control company to take care of it?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

KS posted:

I've used https://www.amazon.com/Authenzo-2018-Upgrade-Version-HumaneMouseTrap/dp/B07BMTWQCY/ or the many others like it and they work pretty well. Note it's pretty inhumane if you forget to check it every day :(

The bucket flip traps work really well for mass infestation and there's no mess like snap traps.

I'll give these a shot. I want to avoid killing it if I can.

The mouse, I think it's only one but who knows, is pretty bold. It popped out from behind the cushions on the couch right next to me while I was sitting there, so hopefully it won't be afraid to take a nibble from the trap.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

tater_salad posted:

Sadly no kill traps are kind of an issue becuase well.. where do the mice go after they've been captured.. are you going to take them in your car and drive them out to the country to go live on a farm? Are you going to trap them, then release them in your backyard for them to be like.. Oh okay back into the house again?

I mean, my plan is to just drive out a couple of miles and let it go. It's not like their range is that far.

Edit: oh hey it worked

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 12, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Drove him to a local park about 5 minutes away.

Bye bye little guy.

I guess I'll clean reset and rebait the traps in case there's more.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I just cleaned my Frigidaire yesterday and it wasn't bad

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I think my mouse problem has been solved. I caught a total of 2, and saw a third, but after that one I followed it to where it ran off to and discovered a hole in the floor where the gas line enters the house to go into the oven. I shoved some steel wool in the hole there and despite having the traps out for a couple of weeks, I've not caught anymore, and perhaps more importantly, haven't heard any skittering in the walls.

There were never any droppings or eaten food around, so I don't think they every really entered the house except to explore that hole, so it seems to be fixed.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Sk8ers4Christ posted:

Nope, and I just combed through them last night and this morning. The only mention of the HOA is on the deed and closing costs paperwork (estoppel and transfer fees).

I posted on Nextdoor as well. So far no one has any information.

This is weird. I mean, if an HOA wants to stay out of people's business, that's awesome, but I have a feeling that's not what's going here.

Talk to your neighbors. What might take hours and hours of research they might be able to point you to in a few seconds. They are all presumably aware of what they owe and how they know it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure Tesla uses pretty bog standard off the shelf equipment for their solar line outside of the solar roof brand.

They did get sued by Walmart for some of their flat top installs catching fire. But honestly Tesla doesn't install them themselves they use local contractors to do that so in terms of what Tesla does themselves it's designing the system and sourcing the parts. The actual install itself is done by local folks who could be of varying quality.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Zone to a different type of zone or upzoning?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Neat, water is pooling in my finished basement.

At least it only happens when it really pours. So I should have time to get 2-3 quotes for remediation.

First quote is for 2.7k for demo and remediation, no repair to studs damaged by work. 3.3k for fixing everything up to but not including drywall.

I believe they were pitching a trench along the side is the basement with the ponding with a drain/pump to sewer line.

That seem reasonable? The basement has a pretty big slope between the back of the house and the front and ponding only in the lowest point.

Would just a sump pump in the front with no trenches be sufficient instead?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

Do you currently have a sump pump? If no, how/why/who finished that basement? Did you buy it that way? Was it premitted?

No I don't currently have a sump pump.

It was a remodel of a Philly row home that's over 100 years old.

Yes I bought it that way. My inspector did not flag it as an issue.

As far as I know it had the necessary permits.

Assuming no catastrophic issues like a broken foundation, would a simple sump pump with no trenching be sufficient?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

It could be, it could not be. If this hasn't ever happened before and suddenly started happen it could be something completely different like broken gutters/downspout. A neighbor that regraded. A neighbor's broken downspout, etc.

You need people that can actually look at the whole thing, not just "we do perimeter drains in basement so this is what I'm here to sell you."

It's definitely had moisture there before. Don't think pooling before, but we did have the reminents of a tropical storm roll through last night.

The neighbors essentially have no gutters so I presume their water on their roof just has a nice 12 ft fall to the ground.

My gutters are in good working order and I have a tube that takes it away from the foundation.

No other grading work near me.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

Yeah, that's not great.

Also I'm like 20 miles north of you. And the skylight in my master bath leaked. I feel your pain.

Ah yeah, fun times. Last year when the tropical storm rolled through the vent in my bathroom started leaking and after having someone come out and look at it they discovered ponding on my flat roof. I ended up having to get an entirely new roof because the algae that was growing up there was wrecking it, despite the roof being only 2 years old.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Inner Light posted:

Was this homeowners insurance claim territory or no?

I did reach out to them, but they said they would not cover it because the ponding wasn't due to a sharp event like a storm, but instead a slow degradation of the roof.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Some stuff you can do for cheap is:

1: Get the stuff off the floor. Get shelving so that if you do get water in the basement, it has to get up at least 6 inches or so before it starts damaging stuff.
2: Get a dehumidifier to keep the baseline humidity down

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

My city at least has been trying to push people to install garbage disposals to reduce food waste that ends up in trash

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

B-Nasty posted:

That's odd, because it's usually the reverse.

Sewage treatment plants are expensive to run and maintain, and adding anything solid that isn't poop and toilet paper costs extra money to filter out. It either gets caught by the initial bar filter or settles in the clarifier, but either way, it has to be thrown out anyway.

Disposals should be used for the little bits left on dishes that didn't get scraped off into the trash can, not for crap like potato peels and huge amounts of food... unless you like having a plumber on speed dial.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-12/philadelphia-building-code-now-requires-garbage-disposals-in-new-construction

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MJP posted:

Yeah, they proposed a mini split - or at least a mini split looks like what they described.

We have dampers in the ducts in the basement. I can futz with those a bit but given the heat levels on the 2nd floor, they'd have to be one heck of a damper. We do have an attic fan, but it's only maybe 12" across, I think. Is there such a thing as having two attic fans, one at each end of the attic?

The noise is actually a fair point - we don't mind the sounds of our ACs, but my wife plays and records her clarinet in her office. The window unit of course has to be turned off while recording, and that's an invitation to instantly heat up.

They are, but if it's a question of inefficient window ACs costing $100-$150 extra per month for 4-5 months vs. efficient mini splits costing $50-$75 extra per month for those 4-5 months, and a $7000/$8000 upfront installation for the splits, it's a way long break-even time period.

I got this window unit for my house's second story which was having issues with a poor return in the main AC and and would frequently get up to 10-15 degrees F above the temp on the first floor. It's VERY efficient and VERY quiet. You can't hear the compressor at all, just the fan, which is all you'd hear with a minisplit system as well. It comes with some high density foam and a bunch of adhesive foam you cut to size for your window to keep it well sealed. It's the most efficient window unit on the market.

If you can live with loosing a bit of the view from a single window it's a much more affordable solution. It doesn't have a reversible valve though, so no heating in the winter.

https://www.amazon.com/Midea-Inverter-Conditioner-Flexibility-Installation/dp/B08677DCKN

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MJP posted:

So it's basically permanently installed in the window? Or do we still take it out/put it back when it gets warm?

We did try keeping the fan on at all times (at least during the day) and it didn't really help. Our ductwork in the basement coming from the central furnace is always cold and condensating when the AC is going, so I'm guessing maybe it's just old, inefficient ductwork as well? Is that a thing? It's still a bad idea to wrap or insulate the ducts in the basement, right?

You can take it out when it gets cold, but you'd have to undo some screws. The high density foam insulation they provide with the unit to seal up the bottom of the window should be at least the same R value as the window itself, so you're honestly probably improving the insulation of the home by leaving it in place over the winter.

Edit:
Here's a video of it in operation and how it's mounted. I also open the window so you can see the difference in the sound with it closed. It's about as loud as a ceiling fan with the window closed.

https://youtu.be/GtLa86EcE8o

Also some pictures

Here's some decibel readings on my phone all while the window is closed. The first is 1.5 feet away from it. Where I recorded the video.

The second is 9 feet away

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 31, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Well, in the middle of the remnants of the hurricane rolling on through the Mid Atlantic near Philly I finally saw in person where the basement water issue was. Got a half inch of water in the very front 10% of my basement from the water collecting there. Spent the better part of 1.5 hours bailing out the lowest point to try and keep up with it. I mostly did. Probably moved at least 100-150 gallons of water in 20-30 5-gallon buckets over that time

Didn't get any pics when it was at its worst since I was too busy bailing it out.

I did keep the water to the area that the foundation guy said he'd need to tear up anyway to put in the french drains and sump pump, so hey that's good. Glad I already made the call to have that put in and that I was home for this to do that bailing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Motronic posted:

Ugh, I feel you.

I lost the battle of keeping the barn from flooding, but at least it's no longer flooding any worse or anymore.

I'm going to have to do a lot of grading when things dry out. This is all gonna be a huge mess.

Oof. Hope nothing important got damaged.

On the plus side for me, I stuck my head back behind the drywall in the basement and actually saw where the water was entering through the foundation. Got a video and placed one of those hand fishing tools to point to it so the foundation guys can fix that up when doing the drain and pump.

Also, I can highly recommend a good head lamp as an essential home tool. I'm a fan of the Nitecore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

MJP posted:

Goons, my basement has 3" of water. Hopefully we won't get more than another 2-3" tonight. We've removed anything important and gotten everything else that we might want a shot at keeping above 6".

What do we do first? Call someone to pump it out? Call Servpro or Roto Rooter?

Needless to say a call to basement waterproofers is also in order - I saw where two of the leaks came in, through painted concrete/cinder block/whatever the hell a 1949 basement wall is made of. What else does one do in minor flood/basement-water recovery assuming there's no electrical, chemical, or plumbing hazard?

If it's not finished you can probably bail it out or pump it out and then have foundation folks come out to fix it up.

Do you have a drain and/or sump pump?