Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

deep web creep posted:

Plumbing budget question for a master bath I'm taking down to the studs. I'm looking to get the plumbing for:
- the toilet moved about 4 feet
- the shower moved about 10
- a tub added off of the shower

sight unseen, how Insanely Owned am I gonna get on this? This sort of stuff qualifies as real rear end plumbing to me and not something I'm willing to gently caress with as a DIY project

Is the floor below your bath unfinished? If not, you’re going to have to rip up at least part of your floor and possibly part of your ceiling to run the sanitary and vent back to the stacks. Water lines might be ok if you’re running them in the same wall, those can be offset sideways in the wall. This is all insanely easier if you have an open ceiling below.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

z0331 posted:

Now that it's spring I see all these wonderful flowering trees and kind of wish we had one...then I see the giant mess they make on the property once all the pedals start falling and decide it's best to enjoy them when they're someone else's problem.

Plant a Magnolia tree and eat the flowers, or eat the flowers of almost every flowering tree, flowers are normally edible and taste good. Also use them to decorate your house and make it smell nice.

I do have a Magnolia tree in my backyard that needs to be removed, old owners planted it like 3' from our deck and 5' from the house. It's already gotten to the point where it is extremely annoying to deal with.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

You should check your plumbing code for what kind of backflow preventer you need. Some places might require a dual check valve, like this one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-Lead-Free-Brass-MPT-Dual-Check-Valve-LF7U2-2-3-4/203473940

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Etrips posted:

Two questions pertaining to a house I just purchased.

1) who do I contact in order to get potholes in a gravel road repaired? It’s a private street kind of curious to see how much it would be to fix some of the bigger holes.

2) currently have a gravel driveway but want to get it asphalted. But also want to build another garage. Which comes first?

Since it's a private drive, you'll have to call a contractor for that. Any driveway paving or excavator can deliver some gravel and fill some holes. If it's small though, you can look into just getting some stone delivered and you wheelbarrow/shovel it to the spots you need and fill it. You can usually find some gravel suppliers in your area, but they likely have a minimum amount required to order, like 2-3 yards.

Do the garage first. That way the machines coming in to build your garage don't ruin your new driveway. Then the paver can just run a new driveway up to your new garage after it's all done. If you have that much work, you could look into getting a general contractor to build the garage and redo the driveway in one package.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Etrips posted:

Isn’t there a more involved process of actually doing something to the hole other than just filling it with more gravel? ie: if I just fill it with gravel it will only be a very short temporary fix.

Probably, I'm not really a gravel road guy, but you're also talking about putting in an asphalt drive, so why would you do anything more than a temporary fix?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

enraged_camel posted:

I need to buy a fridge for the kitchen. My budget is about $1500. Any recommendations?

Do I just go to Best Buy or whatever and just shop for something, or is there a better "process"?

Triple check the space you have to put the fridge first. Second, do you have a water line there already to hook up for ice makers/water dispenser? If not, can you run one easily?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

Does anyone know what asbestos looks like? Is this asbestos?

https://imgur.com/O37mKHJ

E: I didn't touch the pipes or insulation. They were like that when I removed the sheetrock.

That almost looks like canvas wrapped around it, unless I'm looking at the wrong thing. Chances of that containing asbestos I think are pretty low, but asbestos has shown up in some weird places. If you don't need to remove it, leave it be. Other people are correct, asbestos is only dangerous once it becomes airborne, so if you don't touch it, you'll be fine.

Other things that often have asbestos - old mastic for VCT tiles. If you see 9"x9" VCT, the glue very likely has asbestos in it. I've also run into asbestos in glue for some ceiling tiles that were glued to the concrete.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

deep web creep posted:

The temperature jumped up here early last week. The Friday before Memorial Day was going to hit the mid-90s, so hey good a time as any to turn on the air conditioner that the inspector said was "totally fine, just old". Set the thermostat and air started blowing out of the vents. An hour later I'm still sweaty and gross. I look outside and the A/C unit's fan isn't moving.
Called 4 repair services before someone told me they could come out that day (most said not until the next Wednesday. One was booked up for two weeks.). The repair guy comes out that afternoon and we go to take a look at the unit. He removes the side cover and like a dozen loving mice spring out. Little fuckers had been living in there for years, pissing all over everything and corroding it to hell.
Ran me about $400 to get it fixed well enough to limp along to this fall, when I'll be able to replace the whole HVAC system.

Homeownership, y'all.

You can potentially go back to the inspector for missing things that they should have found. Normally limited to the cost of the inspection, but it's something. I don't know anyone who is done this, and it likely isn't worth the time, but that's something.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Queen Victorian posted:

We bought a Fiskars push reel mower because we have a small flat lot with not very much lawn, and the gas-powered mowers in the $200 price range were pieces of poo poo that generally tended to fail within a year or so. I really like having a mower that is not noisy and smelly, but my fiancé whines about how it doesn't do well with some weeds and those hard grass seed stem things (we let the lawn get out of control before we got the mower and are still dealing with the repercussions - haven't moved in yet so we're not over there all the time) so we're going to get an electric weed whacker for overgrown lawn mitigation and edging and stuff, which I think is a nice compromise.

I don't know much about lawn mowers, but I think the push reel mower is nice for small flat lawns. Also we can mow whenever the gently caress we want because it's quiet.

There was a gas mower that came with the house, but we couldn't get it started due to the choke line (?) and some other cables/tubes having had disintegrated while the thing was sitting outside in the harsh PA winter.

This is exactly me except in IL. Got a gas mower with the house, but it took me 10 tries to start every time. Went and got a Fiskar push reel and it's great. All push reels have issues with tough weeds and grass, but I need a weed wacker for the edges anyway and it's like an extra minute to clip the things the mower didn't get. Way lighter, quieter and cheaper than a gas mower.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Motronic posted:

My dude, I would like to introduce you to something........

https://www.amazon.com/Orbit-58543-Telescoping-Cleaning-Ratcheting/dp/B00CLOG5MK

That's just the first result.....there are much longer ones available that easily get to a second story gutter, they're just more cumbersome to deal with because of the weight.

I made something very similar to this out of pvc fittings. Actually made it for my dad like 8 years ago, and then he gave it back to me when he sold his house. Generally works great, only issue is that you still need to climb up and look in the gutter to make sure it's cleared out. Well, you don't really have to do that I guess. My gutters actually stay pretty clear, I think because I live in the city, and my gutters are pretty high up, so just less tree leaves all around that can get in there.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Maybe he wants to hold football or soccer tournaments in his backyard. If I did my math right, that's enough for at least 4 football fields.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congratulations! You get to buy a new water heater!

The most expensive purchase which you'll never get to show off to anyone.

I would think a new roof is your most expensive purchase you don't get to show off. Water heaters are like $500-$1,000 depending on the size, and fairly easy to replace.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I have had a fairly cursed 6 weeks or so, although nothing was major. First, the toilet in my first floor bathroom started leaking, so I had to replace the wax seal. Luckily, the toilet was above my unfinished portion of the basement, and replacing a wax seal was $10 and a couple hours of time.

Then my furnace stopped working, so I called a guy out for that. Bad sensor on my induction motor, not the typical flame sensor.

Around the same time, my roof decided to start leaking. I just had a roofer out, and we both believed it was leaking around the plumbing vent penetration, so that got resealed.

Just last week, my garbage disposal broke. I was able to replace that myself, so that wasn't too bad either.

Of course, me posting this means that when I get home, there will be yet another thing busted. I love home ownership.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

IT BURNS posted:

Bought a slightly older (1992) house that has been very well-maintained and was an absolute steal for the location, price, and amount of space (2865 sqft). few things as we begin some minor updates/renovations:

1. The hot water heater is on the other side of the house, so it takes a while for hot water to get to the master and guest baths. Is a timed recirculating pump an effective solution or is it snake oil? Does it gently caress with the plumbing (the house has copper, not PEX) to have hot water in there more frequently? I'll admit that I know comparatively little about plumbing, so whatevs.

2. The formal dining has some pretty ugly wallpaper. Remove, reprint, and retexture, or just prime and paint over it? My handyman said that if you remove the wallpaper, it might reveal imperfections in the drywall and necessitate more repairs, so it's risky either way.

Just adding a pump doesn't do anything, you also need to install a recirc line for that pump to go on. If you already have a recirc line, then adding a pump is generally fine. If not, you're looking at running a 1/2" pipe from your furthest (or close to furthest) fixture back to your water heater. Also keep in mind that your energy costs are going to go up. First you'll be paying to energize the pump, and you might experience additional heat loss in your pipe, meaning more work for your heater. Are all of your HW pipes insulated? That would be a higher priority than adding a pump.

Having water flowing all the time is really no issue for the pipes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I had a similar issue in two bedrooms after I removed the carpet and had the hardwood restored. I just put in a 1.5" bull nose trim that covers the gap and matched the existing baseboard trim. You could also use quarter round depending on how big the gap is at its biggest point.

Yes, did the exact same thing a year ago. Just get some 1/4 round or bull nose that's tall enough to cover your largest gap.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yep, the inspection passed with flying colors other than a crawlspace water intrusion issue, which was fixed on the seller's dime.

It ended up being a simple fix. Roto-rooter snaked the yard irrigation system and blasted a TON of old plant matter out, and now my drainage works like a charm!

I had a similar thing happen. I'm surprised you have roots getting into your pipes if they're PVC though, or does it switch to something else?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Poldarn posted:

Earlier in this thread I posted about having pipes that run along an outside wall that freeze when it gets really cold outside. The room below them is unheated, and so far my fix has been to run a space heater non-stop in that room when it gets cold. Last week I had an HVAC guy come over to give me a quote for running an additional duct into that room. He said that the way my ducts are set up I'd have to demo a large part of the ceiling in my basement and it would cost a lot. He recommended instead that I save my money and just get an electric baseboard with a rheostat (thermostat?) for that room.

I priced some out and there seems to be a large variety. Does anyone recommend a certain brand or model for a room? I assume it would cost less than running that space heater, but I don't know for sure.

Also, the room in question is a storage room we keep closed so the cats don't destroy the things in there, or poo poo all over the place, and it can be months at a time between when we go in it. I intend on checking on the room every couple of days if I'm running an electric baseboard heater or space heater in there non-stop over the winter, but does anyone have any horror stories about un-accessed rooms to scare me into making sure I keep checking on it?

Is there no way to heat trace the pipes? It's essentially electric heat the applies directly to the pipe. You'll need to get it insulated since it doesn't work without insulation. I could have sworn I saw some at Home Depot once, but I can't find anything on their website. An electrician would probably need to install it, if you're looking to put a lot in. Would be more efficient than heating a whole room just to keep some pipes warm, but that depends on how many pipes I guess.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

Family friends bought a house 18 months ago in the neighborhood across from us. Unfinished basement that they were planning on finishing. Until we started getting these massive rainstorms with flash flooding, and their basement flooded a little bit every storm mostly due to runoff. During one particularly bad storm the wife calls 911 to help them get pumped out in a few inches of standing water. Someone from the township comes by to file a report and comments that, unaware there were new owners, he thought she would've fixed the drainage issues by now. To which she is floored because the purchase disclosure said zero flooding issues. She asks the neighbors who report that the prior owner was outside screaming at 911 one day that they had to pump out her house because she needed to sell it. They hire a lawyer who files a right to know for all the records on the house. Turns out someone from the town took cell phone video during the prior owner's call to document the degree of flooding since it was so impressive, which looked like a full 2" deep stream on their side yard going right toward their garage and basement. I am hoping the prior owner gets turbofucked for lying on disclosure. It seems that PA has some decent buyer protections.

Buyer loving beware

Yea, the previous owner is about to have a real bad time. Why are people calling 911 to get their basement pumped out? Is that a thing? I would think my local emergency responders would not be happy with me calling about something like that.

Also, if they're really having that much flooding problems, time to get a back up sump or something to help pump it out.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

Since we’re in year X of a financial boom everyone has plenty of work and is unavailable, even the lovely contractors.

I think it was GGGC who said that lawn changes are slow. Good changes are slow. Bad ones happen real fast when you gently caress em up real good with an excavator:

Area drain in the corner of my asphalt court running through 6” pipe to the street. Removed giant rocks from the soil in the process. Excavator dude just piled the loose rubble on top, and now I get to hire a landscaper to fix it! At least my sons got to ride the machine for a bit.

If that doesn’t stop the floods next year I’m building a wall :smugdon:

Shouldn't that cleanout be looking up and stubbed up to ground level so you can actually get at it without digging up your lawn?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

howdoesishotweb posted:

Not sure what you mean. He left the dig area as a small ridge cause it would settle and collapse a bit with the rain, but mostly I’m assuming because he didn’t want to clear it all away

I mean this part of the sewer line I circled.

That white cap on the end is a cleanout. You use it to rod out your sewer line in case of blockages. They are usually required at every bend for underground lines. The issue is that this needs to be point up and flush with your grade. Otherwise, once you backfill over that pipe, how are you going to get to that cleanout without digging up your yard? Google yard cleanout.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sirotan posted:

That condo doesn't really have much storage space to begin with, getting rid of one closet and reducing another by 50% just to gain 2ft of living room space (which you're going to do what with? sit even farther back from your TV?) seems counterproductive to me.

I must be living in bizarro world because to me, that condo has excessive storage space. There are 3! walk-in closets, with two other regular closets. That is an insane amount of storage space for a condo. Plus a lot of condos come with a separate storage space in a garage or basement somewhere.

Also, LOL at 2 people 3 days for that job. Even 3 weeks I think would be pushing it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Sirotan posted:

I'm sure I'm looking at it from the view of a person that has too much goddamn stuff, but I mean that kitchen doesn't even have a pantry. I make no assumptions to the existence of any additional non-pictured storage options, but even if there were, seems like in a condo you'd generally wish to increase your storage options and not reduce them.

Either way I still don't think taking out two closets just to make the living room 2ft wider is a good idea.

If there is absolutely no other storage available, then it’s not a crazy amount of storage. I lived in a condo roughly that size for a long time and managed to do it with 2 less walk-in closets without issue. I would rather have more living space than storage space.

Agreed that plan is not worth it at all though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

kw0134 posted:

Right now rates are hosed because the entire credit market is freezing up in ways that have not been seen since the 2008 financial crisis. Mortgages definitely, but bonds and debt across the entire spectrum are in this bizarre limbo where there's no liquidity for anything.

You can't make loans if there's no one willing to give you cash for it; people are pulling it out of all sorts of markets and sticking it into the equivalent of their mattress. And that's even before we get into the reason the markets are all-a-panic. I'm in the process of trying to refi but the bank wants an appraisal and lord only knows when he'll be able to do that.

Can I ask what rates you're getting for your refi? I just started the process, did an online application through Guaranteed Rate (same guy I got my mortgage from), and the rates they quoted me were higher than my current rate of 3.75. I figured rates would be lower from when I bought in 2016. My credit score is drat near perfect, so I know that's not an issue.

Waiting for another place to call me back, and I'll see what they tell me. My rate is pretty good already, so it may not be worth it to refi, but I have 26 years to go, so I figured if I could get it down to 3% it would be worth it in the long run. I'm not planning on moving for a long time.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

At 3 hours you might as well hang it on a line.

I get that’s not an option most of the time but drat that is a brutally long wait.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Running gas in flex hose is fine, if you use the correct hose. Stainless flex tubing, like Gastite has been used to run gas for entire buildings. The 1/2" line is maybe fine, pipe sizing for gas lines is determined on pressure and distance you're running, so it really depends on how far away that propane tank is.

You're right to move to electric though. It's really pointless to keep buying propane for one appliance.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

How much hot water will you use a day? Generally, the downside to tankless is they can’t keep up if you have high demand. They are more efficient if you aren’t a big hot water user though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Drywall gives off lots of white dust yes. Or does she have a secret coke habit?

But seriously, asbestos stopped being used in drywall in 1980 from what I looked up, so you should be fine.

Bird in a Blender fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 20, 2020

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Hadlock posted:

My experiences with traveling to ultra poor countries/regions (I think north of 40 now), is that they all use the tankless water heaters. This could be two reasons

1. cheaper to manufacturer/ship/total profit margin for store
2. way way way more efficient, mandated by government

Either way, very interesting that like 70% of the developing world uses tankless, very rare to see tank heaters abroad in my experience. My guess would be that as the end user, you want the cheapest total cost of ownership which for whatever reason ends up being tankless, or at least, 3+ billion people have been very convincingly lied to

Tankless also take up way less space. So if you’re living in some two room apartment where the shower is in your kitchen, you don’t have room for a 40 gallon tank.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

My roof, siding, and windows will all be "ready" to replace in about 3 years (as in, nothing has outright failed but they'll be living on borrowed time).

Does it reduce the total cost to do all 3 as one single project? I'm guessing It'd be better to work with a GC rather than a company that advertises doing exterior renovations?

You can definitely find companies that will do windows and siding together. You should get a discount doing both at the same time. There may be companies that do that plus the roof, but roofing companies tend to do just that and not other stuff.

There’s really no reason to get a GC. It’s two companies and you don’t have to do the roof at the same time anyway. You’re just going to pay for extra management for not much gain.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I would add a support near the sprinkler head. If that thing went off, it's going to bounce around a lot since you don't have anything holding it in place for at least 7'.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

ScooterMcTiny posted:

I have an idea, let’s put a gas line into our kitchen so we can replace the 40 year old electric cooktop. Oh what’s that there’s multiple gas leaks in the existing piping? Ah yes let’s just replace it all.

Do. Never. Buy.

Should have gone with induction. Still electric, and more energy efficient.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

When you say stopped the hot water from working, do you mean you have zero water, or the water just doesn’t get hot?

If it’s the latter, and your stove stopped working, then the guy did something to your gas line or the gas was just shut off. Any other gas appliances that still work?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I have not tried shims, but I’ll say absolutely do not nail the boards down from the top. It probably won’t fix your squeak, and it will make your life hell if you ever want to refinish.

If it’s any consolation, your kid will eventually be able to sleep on their own and squeaky floors won’t be a concern. I went through the same thing two years ago.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I have one big rear end sink and it's great because you can actually lay a whole sheet pan flat it in that thing. Can't do that with a double basin. I actually do my dishes nearly immediately, and I'm married with a kid. It takes way less time to just loving clean it immediately than to let it sit and pile up, exceptions only for things that really need to soak. I also have a dishwasher though, so over half my dishes go straight into that.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's next? F-f-FOUR basins?!

https://www.theonion.com/gently caress-everything-were-doing-five-blades-1819584036

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

StormDrain posted:

First off what's a bike shed.

Second, you wait until next year when lumber is reasonably priced if you can.

I’m not convinced that lumber prices are going to come down that fast. I’m actually worried they’ll be stuck here for a long time.

Climate change has allowed beetles to infest and kill off huge chunks of Canadian forest. Supply is way down because of it, and that’s not something you can make more of quickly.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

My experience with home alarm systems is they're a waste of money, but insurance companies will give you a discount on your home insurance if you have one, so definitely tell your insurance. I still have an alarm, but I managed to talk them down to $15 per month for fire and three door alarms. Insurance offsets about $7 per month, so I figured paying $8 a month is not really costing me a whole lot.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I get wanting to have fire coverage, and it's the only reason I still have my alarm. I personally don't consider that worth a lot though, I wouldn't pay it if it was costing me like $25/month or so. The chances of you experiencing a fire that requires the fire department is 1 in 4 over your entire life time, and that number is even lower for fires that happen when you aren't home to make a call yourself. So I'd say measure how much risk you're willing take with that vs. how much it costs to keep paying the alarm company to possibly save your house.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Your mileage may vary, but I got a pretty steep discount when I told my company to just cancel my service. I was paying like $35/mo and when I called they asked what it would take to keep me on. I told them $15/mo and they did it. This is with Brinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Copper, steel, and plastic pipe has gone up as well, but nowhere near the extent lumber has. The real issue, as mentioned, is lead times for everything have been going up.