Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

ˇCenk-o de Mayo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

And yes, I know the joke only works if you mispronounce it. You're just cealous you didn't think of it first.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Idgi but I appreciate the effort.

Hail Satan

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
he really undermines his whole "liberal outrage guy" by denying one of the better documented genocides out there, but we all have our blindspots I guess.

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
So I've heard this many times, but can you give the articles or interviews where he does this? Like literally shoot me the info on this, not being a dick or anything.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Hilario Baldness posted:

So I've heard this many times, but can you give the articles or interviews where he does this? Like literally shoot me the info on this, not being a dick or anything.

Oh poo poo. On my way to research this I discovered that he just retracted his decades-old denial, but still stops short of acknowledging it, like a coward, probably because he named his program after the perpetrators:

https://www.tytnetwork.com/2016/04/22/rescinding-daily-pennsylvanian-article/

quote:

Rescinding The Statements In My Daily Pennsylvanian Article

In TYTBlog by Cenk UygurApril 22, 2016

Today, I rescind the statements I made in my Daily Pennsylvanian article from 1991 entitled, “Historical Fact of Falsehood? When I wrote that piece, I was a 21 year-old kid, who had a lot of opinions that I have since changed. Back then I had many political positions that were not well researched. For example, back in those days I held a pro-war rally for the Persian Gulf War. Anyone who knows me now knows that I am a very different person today.

I also rescind the statements I made in a letter to the editor I wrote in 1999 on the same issue. Back then I had a very different perspective and there were many things that I did not give due weight. On this issue, I should have been far, far more respectful of so many people who had lost family members. Their pain is heart-wrenching and should be acknowledged by all.

My mistake at the time was confusing myself for a scholar of history, which I most certainly am not. I don’t want to make the same mistake again, so I am going to refrain from commenting on the topic of the Armenian Genocide, which I do not know nearly enough about.

Thank you for being patient with me on this issue, though I might not have always merited it.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

may the fifth be with you

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Welcome back to The Young Turks

and remember

The Armenian genocide NEVER HAPPENED

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenk_Uygur

for people like me who don't have the first idea what the gently caress is going on in this thread

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost
I just unintentionally outed myself as old and out of touch didn't i

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the overwatch open beta, prolly

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich

rabble rabble posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cenk_Uygur

for people like me who don't have the first idea what the gently caress is going on in this thread

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I was extremely skeptical of TYT for this reason, but I love Ana and she's OK with it so I can be too. He still seems to be kind of a dick about it, but I doubt Ana would associate herself with them if they were really genocide deniers. I mean naming it the young Turks is pretty loving cringe worthy, but I'm willing to beleive it's not intentional in that way since one of his main cohosts is loving Armenian. Seeing an Armenian and Turk be friends and coworkers is pretty heartwarming tbh, the racial tension between those groups is unreal even in the wonderful u.s.of.a. And that's my post on poo poo no one cares about.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
larry lessig

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I think what's really important on this day is that Azerbaijan has all the oil.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

So who's fighting the Genolies for Justice and Development today?

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

Goobish posted:

but I'm willing to beleive it's not intentional in that way since one of his main cohosts is loving Armenian.

Hahaha a literal "my best friend is a black guy" defense

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
sounds like he has kurds in his way

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Hilario Baldness posted:

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Goobish posted:

I was extremely skeptical of TYT for this reason, but I love Ana and she's OK with it so I can be too. He still seems to be kind of a dick about it, but I doubt Ana would associate herself with them if they were really genocide deniers. I mean naming it the young Turks is pretty loving cringe worthy, but I'm willing to beleive it's not intentional in that way since one of his main cohosts is loving Armenian. Seeing an Armenian and Turk be friends and coworkers is pretty heartwarming tbh, the racial tension between those groups is unreal even in the wonderful u.s.of.a. And that's my post on poo poo no one cares about.

It's a bullshit defense. The show is named after a group which participated in mass genocide; that alone should've been enough for liberals to endlessly bludgeon him on.

My theory on why he refuses to acknowledge the Armenian Genocide is because he's afraid that Erdogan's government in retaliation will persecute his remaining family in the country if he does. He's still a piece a poo poo for the previous reason though. If you ever watch TYT enough, you'll notice that Cenk has some sort of insecure sense of pride. He never admits he's wrong (or doesn't like to), even on the most trivial of bullshit.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
TYT is good, I'm glad it exists, but Anna is the only good host.

Controversial? You decide.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

TYT is a low budget progressive Fox News hosted by rejects.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Is it really genocide when the Armenians had it coming?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Immortan posted:

It's a bullshit defense. The show is named after a group which participated in mass genocide; that alone should've been enough for liberals to endlessly bludgeon him on.

So basically it's like calling your show Hitler youth?

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

ˇCenk-o de Mayo!

Cenk-o-deny-o

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

tsa posted:

So basically it's like calling your show Hitler youth?

Sure, except the Young Turks achieved the most successful ethnic cleansing in modern history while the Hitler Jugend ended up crushed to death by IS-2s.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

an american youtube "news" program called The General George Armstrong Custers

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

an american youtube "news" program called The General George Armstrong Custers

The Old Hickories

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Narciss posted:

Hahaha a literal "my best friend is a black guy" defense

Ana is definitely my favorite, so I'll take it. She did mention she lost relatives in the genocide, so I mean, am I naive to trust her judgement here? I don't get the impression that she'd ever sell herself out in any type of way regarding her work. I've only been watching TYT for a few months though so I'm not ruling out the naive thing. I'm happy whenever I see an alive Armenian person tbh.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Goobish posted:

Ana is definitely my favorite, so I'll take it. She did mention she lost relatives in the genocide, so I mean, am I naive to trust her judgement here? I don't get the impression that she'd ever sell herself out in any type of way regarding her work. I've only been watching TYT for a few months though so I'm not ruling out the naive thing. I'm happy whenever I see an alive Armenian person tbh.

You're watching a show where the owner refuses to publicly acknowledge the Armenian Genocide. How you do sleep at night?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Does the US gov even acknowledge it?

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nope

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
bernie gets the presidency and his first act is to acknowledge and denounce the armenian genocide. cenk explodes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

logikv9 posted:

bernie gets the presidency and his first act is to acknowledge and denounce the armenian genocide. cenk explodes.

A Just World indeed.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Obama doesn't want to be called racist.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

tsa posted:

Cenk-o-deny-o

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Reagan called it a genocide as President, and Carter more or less did, but there's no law officially recognizing it. Hillary's been one of the most outspoken active politicians on the issue, having co-sponsored a resolution recognizing it in the Senate, but she had to walk some of it back after she attended a memorial in Armenia as Secretary of State. She's resumed personal recognition since she left the Obama Administration, but it's hard to say what her position would be as President since many others have suddenly decided recognition was a bad idea after taking office, including Obama.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Kingfish posted:

TYT is a low budget progressive Fox News hosted by rejects.
:agreed:

tsa posted:

Cenk-o-deny-o

beaten at my own game

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Sinteres posted:

Reagan called it a genocide as President, and Carter more or less did, but there's no law officially recognizing it. Hillary's been one of the most outspoken active politicians on the issue, having co-sponsored a resolution recognizing it in the Senate, but she had to walk some of it back after she attended a memorial in Armenia as Secretary of State. She's resumed personal recognition since she left the Obama Administration, but it's hard to say what her position would be as President since many others have suddenly decided recognition was a bad idea after taking office, including Obama.

Ah, so this must be why Cenk hates Hillary so much!

redcrosse
May 8, 2016

All is troublesome
in this earthly kingdom,
the turn of events changes
the world under the heavens.
Here money is fleeting,
here friend is fleeting,
here man is fleeting,
here kinsman is fleeting,
all the foundation of this world
turns to waste!

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

Oh poo poo. On my way to research this I discovered that he just retracted his decades-old denial, but still stops short of acknowledging it, like a coward, probably because he named his program after the perpetrators:

He deserves some credit, if only because of how ingrained those kinds of bad politics and revisionism can be in a family's cultural memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

redcrosse posted:

He deserves some credit, if only because of how ingrained those kinds of bad politics and revisionism can be in a family's cultural memory.

He had 25 years to educate himself on the subject, and the best he could do is Marco Rubio's "don't ask me, I'm not a scientist" defense. gently caress him.

• Locked thread