Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
What row are you up to in the dorfing sheet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I really really love this bard.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I'm a big fan of that handheld harpsichord.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Danny Glands posted:

What row are you up to in the dorfing sheet?

Unless I've miscalculated we've now dwarfed up to 46. Next post will be a big dorfing post and not much else (sorry, I had a job interview to prepare for)

E: if anyone further down the list wants to be a human mercenary rather than a dwarf, I will let the first two claimants jump the queue. Doing Interesting Things not guaranteed.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 16:13 on May 13, 2016

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Maugrim posted:

E: if anyone further down the list wants to be a human mercenary rather than a dwarf, I will let the first two claimants jump the queue. Doing Interesting Things not guaranteed.

Dibs. I'm like row 180 or some poo poo.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Maugrim posted:

Unless I've miscalculated we've now dwarfed up to 46. Next post will be a big dorfing post and not much else (sorry, I had a job interview to prepare for)

Sure, why not.

I'm at 197

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Edit: Nertz.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I should be in that migrant wave, now I just get to wait and find out if I made the cut for bookkeeper.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

21st Granite, 251
Hoooo boy that sure was a lotta dwarves but a bards gotta do what a bards gotta do

My pal DG even asked for my thoughts on the new arrivals, which I am hereby notin below using my amazin JUDGMENT OF INTENT skillz

Most of em are married couples for some reason, here goes

MBOOT is married to Sad King Billy

MBOOT is a grate musician & a p good poet & macedwarf, seems calm & easygoin & just wants to mace some ppl in the head
INTENT: MACEDWARF

Sad King Billy is a sorta rubbish cheesemaker but he likes chickens so I fink it is time for a career change
INTENT: POULTRY FARMER

Organ Grinder is married to Anchors

Organ Grinder likes music, poetry and fallin in love but we already have a bard so its a good think he can shoot eh
INTENT: HUNTER

Anchors has no sense of humor & is a lye maker, sez shes a hammerdwarf but thats deffo a lye cos I can tell she likes axes rly
INTENT: AXEDWARF

Astus is married to SpanishMatlock

Astus is a crappy woodworker but she shure does love to party
INTENT: PARTY ORGANIZER

SpanishMatlock is ded lazy & dont talk much so I guess he can keep bein a weaver
INTENT: WEAVER

Beekeeper is married to Luneshot

Beekeeper is old as gently caress, incurbaly romantic, smells like fish but he swears hes a beekeeper & who am I a humble bard to tell him otherwise
INTENT: KEEPER OF BEES

Luneshot ermmmm srsly these guys look like theyll keel over any second, how did they even walk here, all I know is she likes ducks so
INTENT: FARMER I guess

Carillon is married to Sky Shadowing

Carillon hmmm these guys are p elderly too but shes got all her marbles alrite, super literate & can handle a sword
INTENT: BADASS LIBRARIAN

Sky Shadowing likes cats & I guess cats like him cos he sure smells of fish
INTENT: FISHERY WORKER

ColonelMuttonchops is married to Harvest

ColonelMuttonchops can turn a hand to bookbindin but her REEL strenght is trackin & hammerin, truely a lady of many facets
INTENT: HAMMERDWARF

Harvest brought own axe & immediately went to clear trees for my tavern which makes him AOK in my book
INTENT: CARPENTER

Dominenamine is married to Lawman0

Dominenamine sez shes a gelder, had a funny look in her eye so I dam well took her at her word there
INTENT: GELDER

Lawman0 loves FISTICUFFS and SHEEP and OBEYING THE LAW, demands to be a miner but I reckon hes a shoo in for sheriff later
INTENT: MINER

Habituallyred is married to Sgt Crunch

Habituallyred scares me a bit, he is truely a DWARF ON THE EDGE, also good w/ a crossbow so
INTENT: CROSSBOWDWARF

Sgt Crunch wants to be a bookkeeper, has 0 relevant skills but with her husband glowering @ me I wasnt fuckin sayin no
INTENT: BOOKKEEPER

SubNat is married to Wolfechu

SubNat seems friendly but is infact incapable of experiencing emotion so not sure how she got married
INTENT: POTTER

Wolfechu on the other hand is p normal, decent herbalist so she can carry on doin that
INTENT: HERBALIST

TRUMPeter is married to Tunicate

TRUMPeter just kept ranting about YUUUGE GOLD so I told her she could have it if he wanted
INTENT: METALWORKER

Tunicate is a fishery worker who wants to be a hammerlord but trained in maces??? Go figure that one out
INTENT: MACEDWARF

Thats all the couples phew now for the solos

frankenfreak is a jealous greedy melancohlic llama lover, also an ok engineer so
INTENT: SIEGE ENGINEER

Grey Hunter is p bad at farmin but great at dancin & can handle a spear, with a name like that Im sayin
INTENT: SPEARDWARF

hihohe is good at music & hammers but what she REALLY wants is to be an engraver, cant deny a fellow mucisian
INTENT: ENGRAVER

Neurion is a shepherd but shes rly bad at it & likes helpin others so
INTENT: NURSE

LordHattigan dint bring his wife or any of his 7 children & swears blind he is a noble, he is clearly bonkers & best suited to a harmless job like farming
INTENT: SIEGE ENGINEER

Oh also Wisho & Gil got nicknames Spermy Smurf and Gene (I will never understand dwavres)

Thats it, back to yer regularly scheduleude drunken updates tomorrow, laters diary

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 19, 2016

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Hopefully I will not only engrave great art but I will also play music in my downtime.

GET ME TO WORK ON THOSE TEMPLES! !

Ill probably draw my character and the overseers after work

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
21st Granite, 251

Dearest Diary,

At long last, after an exhausting journey, I have arrived at my demesne. Or rather, what will become my demesne. I'll not recount the journey here; I would just as soon forget it (and its damnable rats). No, for now I must look forward, towards claiming what is rightfully mine. Unfortunately, much like my family name, it is in a pretty sorry state right now. The previous overseers have set down its layout as a large series of squares, and while I can appreciate the utilitarianism of such a measure, and understand the need to strike stone rather than the clay that plagues the area, I cannot avoid finding the aesthetics to be lacking.

More to the point, the current overseer of the fortress is a human. A perpetually drunk human. Far be it from me to criticize somebody for needing a drink, but if you cannot at least hold your liquor, then you ought not to be in a position of such power. She refused to so much as look as the extensive proofs of my lineage which I brought along, instead declaring me to be a siege engineer (and appointing somebody with no skills and no head for numbers as bookkeeper). This is not a problem, exactly--I am familiar with the trade, after all. But it does introduce some difficulties into my plan to press my claim. But on this point, I shall persevere. There may be a great many things that I have abandoned too soon, but this is far too important for me to leave behind. That title shall be mine, and nothing shall stop me.

For now, though, I bide my time. The mountainhome wasn't built in a day, after all. I will prove my worthiness in this fort, and reap my just rewards. All things in their time.

--Lord Hattigan

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
I love that I spawned as a woodcutter.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I'm technically a noble now! :toot:

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Am I the 68 year old guy or the 76 year old girl?

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Maugrim posted:

21st Granite, 251
My pal DG even asked for my thoughts on the new arrivals, which I am hereby notin below using my amazin JUDGMENT OF INTENT skillz

Maugrim is the best argument for why charisma is not a dump stat.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Spermy Smurf posted:

Am I the 68 year old guy or the 76 year old girl?

I'm assuming the names are given respective to who said it first, which makes me the 76-year old and you the other one.

(If you want to be the old woman instead, I'm cool with whatever.)

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

GeneX posted:

I'm assuming the names are given respective to who said it first, which makes me the 76-year old and you the other one.

(If you want to be the old woman instead, I'm cool with whatever.)

Correct. Spermy = Wisho, the bloke.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

GeneX posted:

which makes me the 76-year old and you the other one.

We are going to bang.

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I would like to be a cheesemaker, everyone likes cheese, even dwarfs.

Sadly as a farmer I'm going to end up getting murdered by troglodytes or plump helmet men!

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Spermy Smurf posted:

We are going to bang.

:chanpop:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Yaaay my first dwarf. She even likes gold, as is proper. My husband and I love Githa but I don't seem them on the gods list? Are we worshiping a foreign god? That seems very suspect. I don't think TRUMPeter likes foreign things very much . . .

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

DannyGlands' Private Journal

I have forgotten how much more potent dwarven alcohol is to a human body. Our resident human bard, once the paragon of eloquence, is now reduced to using language more suitable for pump operators in her poetry. She has been going around issuing orders to the mining corps to dig out the temporary dormitories and turn them into a "proper tavern." As if that wasn't hard enough, during the last migrant wave she declared a dwarf with no bookkeeping skills to be the new bookkeeper -- We seriously need to get the water purification project going.

Also, one of the new migrants claims to be a lord, but I have my doubts. I have no recollection of the Hattigan line.

I will continue to try and keep the human from turning this place into a ghost town.

Danny Glands fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 14, 2016

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Danny Glands posted:

I took part in singing a goblin melody in our dining hall, which we call the "Syrups of Fierceness". It was ok, but we really needed instruments. (Note in margin: Look up how to assemble instruments for greater morale)

I can't help but notice that the part of the performance this dwarf is doing is "Simulate Alum." Does that mean the dwarf is just making loud noises similar to whatever the gently caress a goblin instrument called an alum does?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I can't help but notice that the part of the performance this dwarf is doing is "Simulate Alum." Does that mean the dwarf is just making loud noises similar to whatever the gently caress a goblin instrument called an alum does?

Yup! Adventure mode is so much richer now that you can assemble an impromptu a capella group at any tavern.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Beatboxing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Albinator posted:

Checking in to say hi

Same. I keep up with the thread (particularly during my breaks throughout the day), but have nothing to contribute so far.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

hihohe's Journal

You have no idea how hard it is to be a hill dwarf artist. How are you supposed to carve in dirt loving walls

Finally, I'm in on the ground floor of a New fortress.

I will make sure all know the history of Stonewealth. And maybe play some music down by the tavern. Hope this is a Dwarven Wine Fort.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Hihohe posted:

hihohe's Journal

You have no idea how hard it is to be a hill dwarf artist. How are you supposed to carve in dirt loving walls

Finally, I'm in on the ground floor of a New fortress.

I will make sure all know the history of Stonewealth. And maybe play some music down by the tavern. Hope this is a Dwarven Wine Fort.

Yay fan art!

By the way I seem to remember Gemclod and Bronzestabbed having overseer post / journal entry header banners. Has anyone still got them stored somewhere? They would be useful again here.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

I still have Fogwall's.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

22nd Granite, 251
Hey diary u know wot

All these new dewarves standing around with their fingers up thier asses r a rite headache

See DannyGlands was tellin me all about it, like military dorfs need squads n weapns n poo poo (I know all about militry stuff obvs my surname is Grandlancer) & u gotta make sure theres enuff bedrooms n chairs & then you appoint a sheriff & he gives himself airs & wants a big posh office etectra.

I sure am glad Im not the one in charge of all that

Im just gonna keep rite on buildin my tavern but mebbe Ill drop by & give ol DG a THUMBSUP now and then so he knows hes doin a good job

24th Granite, 251
I reckon DannyGlands took my reocmnednations to heart cos he showed me his militry plans today & it looks like this

HIT SQUAD - melee & metal armour
StrangeAeon (Militia Commander) - Axe
Anchors - Axe
Grey Hunter - Spear
Carillion - Short Sword
MBOOT - Mace
necrotic - Axe
AfroSquirrel - Hammer
Trundel - Axe
ColonelMuttonchops - Hammer
Tunicate - Hammer

SHOOT SQUAD - crossbows & leather armour
Torran (Militia Captain)
Spermy Smurf (human, prefers bows but if u serve with the dwarves u use dwarfy weapons dammit)
Organ Grinder
NINJEW
IAmTheRad
Habituallyred
Gene (human)

N.B. the squad names which I sugested myself & are much more awesome than random bonkers dwarf crap liek the Angry Gears of Shafting etc

Off course there is a small thing we do not have any metal to make armour & weaps & this seems to upset dear DG a lot

I gave him a hug & told him he culd have Eighty Airconswitch M_Gargantua & Lawman0 for more minery exploration as my tavern excavatings r nearly done anyway

He sed thank u very much I am so very grateful so that is my good deed 4 the day

7th Slate, 251
Happy day! The first beardling has come to Stonewealth!

Poistra was born to DuckAerobics and Fudon Amsanomo & will brigten up the place no end, I will teach him the ways of the bard as soon as his tiny grubby fingers can hold a fone

Also I was prayin to Alle & noticed the temple was a mess so Ive asked hihohe to do some smoothin on the secret, shhh dont tell DG

8th Slate, 251
Ok so hihohe came back & said part of the temple is clay & cant be smoothed & SOMEONE namin no names was an idiot 2 build it there

Hmm

Hmmmmm ok got an idea

Lets carve out a new temple & use the old one as a SECRET VAULT for the many treasuers we will create it is a genius plan & Im sure Dannyboy wont mind me borrowin his miners 4 a sec

9th Slate, 251
Another birth! Its like beardling christmas round here

Zore is the dauthger of M_Gargantua n Big Daddy, they r very proud but it does mean we have 1 less miner

Wait hold on she carried rite on mining while carryin the baby

Dorfs are badass I guess

18th Slate, 251
Well the elves finally packed up & left after we bought 4 instroments & ignored them for a month, sorry elves

More impotrantly a goblin bard has come to visit! If I wasnt so constitutionally opposed 2 learnin Im sure I could learn a lot

Hes carryin a book, I can see the title is "A World of the Goblin" but he wont let me read it, nuts :(

Never mind its prob just poetry. Gobbo poetry is clever but a bit 2 cruel imo, if u remember my applucation 2 join Stonewealth there was a example

Dwarf poetry is more kinda straigntforward lemme find an example

O yeh I wrote this one down when Trundel recited it way back before I got super drunked

Skull and the Wicked Illness

A traditional dwarven poem concerning Tirist Tailorb, sometimes called The Skull Lady, the second dwarf to worship Zefon, He-Who-Is-Death-Incarnate

quote:

In 31, Tirist became the mayor of The Wise Paper.
In 40, midspring, (15th of Slate) Tirist became obsessed with her own mortality and sought to extend her life by any means.
In 49, late summer, (22nd of Galena) Tirist began worshipping the dwarf deity Zefon.

Exploring every secret,
I bring you now this bleak writ:
The tale of Tirist Tailorb.

An adequate law-shaper,
She founded The Wise Paper,
And ruled it well and fairly.

Of gods she hadn't any,
Of friends she hadn't many,
And yet she ruled there fairly.

But one by one they perished:
Disease took those she cherished,
The friends she valued dearly -

When fear and sadness hit her
Her ruling grew more bitter
And she sought life forever.

She's dead now. Such is Zefon.

"Skull and the Wicked Illness" was composed in 162 by the great Roasted Salve poet, Urvad Minelashes.
This is his first well-known work and is not considered his best.
It is considered heretical by some devout followers of Zefon, merely misguided by others.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 19, 2016

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Danny Glands posted:

I still have Fogwall's.

Ah yeah, I keep getting Fogwall and Bronzestabbed confused.

If they're not branded then please can you add them to the OP? If they are branded then I guess someone'll need to create some new ones...

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Yay! I am going to be a victim of war!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Starting speardwarf? Time to either die without notice or become a hero.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

This is an engraving of a dwarf and a dwarf baby by Hihohe. The dwarf is making a plaintive gesture. The dwarf baby is dead.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Well my mom is a miner which means I (probably) won't end up as a baby shield fighting some forsaken beast.

How long does it take dorf kids to develop in .42?

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Here are the headers:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

You're a monster

Why would you do this to me

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Zore posted:

Well my mom is a miner which means I (probably) won't end up as a baby shield fighting some forsaken beast.

How long does it take dorf kids to develop in .42?

I haven't played in ages, but I assume miners are still the go-to emergency backup militia, because they're buff as hell and picks make decent weapons. So don't fret -- you might still die a baby on the battlefield!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
If I was a more envious dwarf I would rob these worthless merchants. Fortunately I am content with this fine door.

(Seriously, this dwarf has no patience, is quick to anger, and does not handle stress well. And he has a crossbow at all times.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
What the gently caress is up with the culture our humans come from?

Apparently, like other members of their culture, they "strongly value tranquility and quiet, believe war is preferable to peace in general". :psyduck:

• Locked thread