Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

FastestGunAlive posted:

drat, was hoping to be able to run around with a bolt action rifle as an assault. Dropping fools with higher rof weapons, getting them pubbies tears like back my DoD days

Yeah mildly sad, I miss my KAR98 from DoD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
So when can we expect the beta keys to be mailed out? And do you think you'll be able to pre-load the beta?

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Digirat posted:

The best experience in bad company 2 was putting just a red dot sight on the .50 caliber bolt action sniper rifle and charging into the front lines, blasting people with your ridiculous elephant gun from 5 meters away

aah yes, the 50-calibre assault shotgun :D

beedeebee posted:

So when can we expect the beta keys to be mailed out? And do you think you'll be able to pre-load the beta?

iirc it was end-of-month, which is next week. don't quote me on that though

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

after 5 posts every couple days for ages you guys can't put up this many posts and only give me levelcap whinging. IVE BEEN HAD!

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So is there any actual incentive to be a dumbass and preorder? I'll probably end up getting it and all the dlc anyway, so if it's cheaper I might as well. But if it's just skins or something I don't really care myself.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
It depends, if youre going to get it from cdkeys.com or gmg or whatever then you might save a bit as i notice they seem to be cheaper there the earlier you buy them. Bf1 was 29.99 on cdkeys.com when it first came on there, and now its 35. I imagine it might go up more by release. If youre buying direct from origin, you can sign up for EA access for 5 bucks whenever you like and then buy the game and dlc for like 15 bucks off

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Aug 25, 2016

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Seems like just skins and maybe some battle packs (lol)? I'm tempted because seems like the Harlem Hell fighter skins could inspire some nice hate mail but I dunno

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

I'm just buying the cheap versions because I have no interest in additional skins.

I'm a turbo nerd and I want the season pass immediately.

Do we know if the mexican vpn trick still works? I can't find any recent posts about it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

sbaldrick posted:

My favorite thing about this is he is one of the douchebags that is always crying that people don't play the point and everyone only goes for kills. DICE changes the game to make it so you have to cap points and he bitches about it.

I like that he's bitching about cap points overbalanced while tankwhoring every point on the map with his crew of like five keeping him alive.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

pnutz posted:

iirc it was end-of-month, which is next week. don't quote me on that though

Thanks. I won't :)

EDIT: woops

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

beedeebee posted:

Thanks. I won't :)

:golfclap:

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

I had Premium day 1 for both BF3 and BF4. These are the two main games that I have been playing since October 2011, and I'm still playing five years later. So that's 200 bucks for five years and 928+1009 hours of playtime.

Levelcap pissing his pants over it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHM0hMJNz_Q

"If you wanna maximize your points all you have to do, is get on the flag, and capture that point." ~ Levelcap

How exactly is this a bad thing.

His argument seems to be that people will just swarm the flag instead of trying to remove people from the flag since its often times easier to just get as many dudes as possible on target.

To me its one less thing that Joe "Call of Duty" has to think about. If they're on the objective and still refusing to give me a god drat medic bag I'm going to be way less mad than if they were off loving about and also not giving me a medic bag.

TLDR: This change forces objective play, what is Levelcap smoking?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

IceOrb posted:

TLDR: This change forces objective play, what is Levelcap smoking?

RAGHARAHGHA MAH KILLSZ

He's angry he can't roll around and kill people to rack up a massive score in any game mode, he will be relegated to his TDM to rack up SICK 1337 kill scores

MF_James fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 25, 2016

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

IceOrb posted:

"If you wanna maximize your points all you have to do, is get on the flag, and capture that point." ~ Levelcap

How exactly is this a bad thing.

His argument seems to be that people will just swarm the flag instead of trying to remove people from the flag since its often times easier to just get as many dudes as possible on target.

I mean I can totally see where this could be a problem. If you put too much of an emphasis on capturing points people are going to be less likely to want to defend them. A similar situation happened in Planetside 2, and that wound up with giant balls of players roaming the map capturing points completely unopposed. That was sort of already normal behavior, but it was way worse than normal.

I think it would be better if they gave players a score income for capturing and holding points, rather than just a base bonus for capturing a point. That'd give some incentive to go back and defend instead of a constant ring around the rosey.

On the other hand, snowballs are pretty great for pubstomping since you have a reliable way of finding people to shoot.

IceOrb
Sep 10, 2006

AGENT NAHMAN JAYDEN, FBI.
Take the bad with the good I suppose.

Personally I'd rather a group of pubs mindlessly play the objective because at least then you know they are doing something useful.

Might lead to an end of the pub sniper chillin off on the far edges of the map. (hahahahhaha yeah no.)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
If a specific flag grants an extra tank or some such to your team, then there's your incentive to defend it.

And if you're pointwhoring, then I'm sure you'll get plenty of defence points for killing enemies on your point. But yeah. It's a sad day for those wanting to boast that their K/D rate alone gave them victory.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
So is this looking like it will play more like BF4 or Battlefront? With vehicles being power ups rather than tactical options.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
So let me get this straight
-France and Russia are DLC and America is one of the main base factions
-tanks act exactly like APCs in BF4
-Recon is the only class that has bolt action rifles and every other class has automatic weapons that were either failed prototypes or nonexistent
-every gun still has a jillion ugly useless attachments
-these 'ultra vehicles' or whatever that are just stationary turrets like the ATATs in the new Battlefront
-biplanes have high power anti-infantry/tank weapons
-gas and artillery is just a minor gameplay aspect
-no Commander
-they're going to do that loving 'just a handful of different maps chopped up into segments for different modes' thing from Battlefront
-dying and respawning doesn't affect tickets
-everyone has walkie talkies
I wasn't expecting a DICE take on Verdun, or even much realism at all, but it looks to me like the WWI setting everyone is hyped up for is actually just useless window dressing that doesn't affect the gameplay at all, and the game is just shaping up to be BF4 with even less maps and features. Really good poo poo 👏👏👏

epoch.
Jul 24, 2007

When people say there is too much violence in my books, what they are saying is there is too much reality in life.

Tab8715 posted:

Was I the only one whom thoroughly enjoyed the obliteration game mode in BF4?

This is from a couple pages back, but hell no. Obliteration is one of my favorite game modes of any game. I played it about a third of the time (surprised it wasn't more tbh, just going off of Battelog). Obliteration is just like american football. I wish it was in BF1 (or something very like it).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Lumpy the Cook posted:

-Recon is the only class that has bolt action rifles and every other class has automatic weapons that were either failed prototypes or nonexistent
-these 'ultra vehicles' or whatever that are just stationary turrets like the ATATs in the new Battlefront
-no Commander
-they're going to do that loving 'just a handful of different maps chopped up into segments for different modes' thing from Battlefront
I wasn't expecting a DICE take on Verdun, or even much realism at all, but it looks to me like the WWI setting everyone is hyped up for is actually just useless window dressing that doesn't affect the gameplay at all, and the game is just shaping up to be BF4 with even less maps and features. Really good poo poo 👏👏👏

Where on Reddit was this gem posted?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

SquadronROE posted:

So is this looking like it will play more like BF4 or Battlefront? With vehicles being power ups rather than tactical options.
Vehicles aren't power ups any more than they were in battlefield. The only difference there is that you actually spawn as a vehicle with a driver instead of BF4 where you just spawn into one. There's also pickups that make you into a special class (flamethrower, heavy gunner), but those again behave like the special weapon/drone pickups in BF4.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

-no Commander

Source your quotes.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Honestly all I needed to know was "There is a new Battlefield game coming out."

Can't loving wait.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
How DARE you make a list of things about this game that aren't what people were/are pretending it would be. It will be totally perfect in every way, an absolute masterpiece and the last game I will ever need to buy.

until two weeks after it actually comes out, and then the same goons will pretend they always knew it was going to be a disappointment in a bunch of ways

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I just want a new BF1942 and this is the closest I'm getting, I don't even care if it's a BF4 reskin.

It's the fact that it's not modern war that tickles my nethers.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

1942 and later 2142 were some of the best times gaming with friends that I've ever had, but I'm anxiously awaiting a Vietnam remake. If they don't include the option of blasting Surfin' Bird from your scooter while weaving through the streets of a Vietnamese city as your buddy takes pot shots at tanks with his AK from the backseat then I won't want to live on this planet anymore.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Is there a level where I can shoot a machine gun off the back a biplane at a spooky Egyptian sand storm face?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
A supernatural superweapons expansion is something they should actually do.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I just kind of treat it like a period shooter :shrug:. I'm iffy on the fact that 3/4 of the classes use auto/semi weapons, but it's a chance for a game to use weapons that we haven't seen a million times in every other game. I want to pop people with a Model 8 and you're going to have to fight me to take it away.

What I want to see is an early Cold War Battlefield, set around post-WW2 up to maybe the early '60s. Would like to handle guns like the EM-2/AR-10/SPIW and drive around M103s and Conquerors, or wilder tanks like the Object 279 while still having 1940s/'50s aesthetics.

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Need one game that has all time periods in it. That would justify a $130 price tag.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

afkmacro posted:

Need one game that has all time periods in it.

I think you essentially summed up the war for the French.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d61zvfK72po

How many blood clots do you need in your brain to consider this fun. Good lord. I would sincerely rather play No Man's Sky than this.

I hope they announce the release date for M&B Bannerlord soon so we can get actual GOOD horse combat.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

It's entirely likely that Battlefield 4 will end up being the best game developed by DICE this decade and the thought of that makes me mother loving sick. How on earth did they lose their talent?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d61zvfK72po

How many blood clots do you need in your brain to consider this fun. Good lord. I would sincerely rather play No Man's Sky than this.

I hope they announce the release date for M&B Bannerlord soon so we can get actual GOOD horse combat.

3/10

Lumpy the Cook posted:

It's entirely likely that Battlefield 4 will end up being the best game developed by DICE this decade and the thought of that makes me mother loving sick. How on earth did they lose their talent?

2/10

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Lumpy the Cook posted:

-no Commander

unironically yes

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Stop exaggerating. Bc2 then bf3 then maybe bf4.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Battlefield hardline was not made by DICE. So "losing their talent" in this case would just mean the game they made right after the one you consider their best one was not as good, which is hardly damning

However I agree with most of your list. It feels like the game could be anywhere between fantastic and awful, and I do not like the way they are forcing a ton of automatic weapons back in the game because there was a scribble of some silly-looking assault rifle-like thing in somebody's notebook that was dubiously dated 1918.

Although it wouldn't be the first time they've done something similar. In battlefield 2, US army soldiers could deploy with a shotgun that was never actually produced and IIRC had like 30 janky prototypes ever made. that one didn't really bother me though because it wasn't losing a chance to make the most of the setting, unlike BF1's silly prototype guns.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 26, 2016

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fish Fry Andy posted:

I mean I can totally see where this could be a problem. If you put too much of an emphasis on capturing points people are going to be less likely to want to defend them. A similar situation happened in Planetside 2, and that wound up with giant balls of players roaming the map capturing points completely unopposed. That was sort of already normal behavior, but it was way worse than normal.

I think it would be better if they gave players a score income for capturing and holding points, rather than just a base bonus for capturing a point. That'd give some incentive to go back and defend instead of a constant ring around the rosey.

It may be a problem but they way it's being approached by LevelCap is entirely wrong. JackFrag's mentioned too that it may result in big groups of players continually going from Point-to-Point but never or never encountering each other. Not exactly a Battlefield.

Personally, I don't see a need to give points to defenders - it's not like the entire team should be roaming. I do feel teams should lose points for being reckless when throwing away spawns carelessly.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

so let me get this straight you'd rather every game everyone have a bolt-action rifle and sit in a trench for hours?

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Tab8715 posted:

so let me get this straight you'd rather every game everyone have a bolt-action rifle and sit in a trench for hours?

Man that'd be awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Missing the part where he said he wants to sit in a trench for hours?

• Locked thread