Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Happy Mother’s Day, Rowdy Ringsports! To celebrate, let’s watch 290-pound factory-produced steroid monsters kick the poo poo out of each other in Rotterdam with UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs. Arlovski,2 p.m. ET Sunday, May 8 on Fox Sports 1! Thankfully this is a TV card so you can DVR the fights and watch after you’re done spending time with the woman who raised you, you ungrateful shits :colbert:

While it might seem to the casual viewer that the UFC is full of big surly macho men who are too busy bleedin’ to care about their mamas, nothing could be further from the truth. Each and every slugger on this card has a very special relationship with that very special woman in their life, so let’s take a look at the fighters this weekend!

Heavyweight

Alistair Overeem

vs.

Andrei “Pitbull” Arlovski

Alistair Overeem is a street-tough Dutch kickboxer, but that doesn’t mean he can’t take time out for his mom. In fact, when he was training for his long-anticipated UFC debut against Brock Lesnar, he changed up his training camp entirely so he could return to Holland and take care of his mother as she battled cancer. And even though he proved he was powerful enough to knee the former champ’s surgically-repaired guts into their natural state of unprocessed venison, he proved you never get too big to need your mom after: when the mysterious pee collector reared his ugly head, Overeem jumped right in the ocean and swam all the way back to Holland that very night to hide behind Clair Overeem’s skirt.

Arlovski’s second title aspirations have tragically been squandered at the hands of Stipe Miocic, but he has looked very impressive exactly half the time in his current UFC run. The most noteworthy performance of his came against former BFF Travis Browne, with whom he had the goon-consensus round of the year in 2015. He also said beating his buddy up like that “felt like punching his mother or father,” which implies that while he might not like it, he would totally beat up his mom for a paycheck. Happy mother’s day, Mrs. Arlovski!

Heavyweight

Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva

vs.

Stefan “Skyscraper” Struve

Bigfoot Silva remembers his mom holding him on the day he was created like it was only yesterday. Her white squiggly shocks of hair on prominent display as the the Rio humidity caused her to frizz. The delicate stitching of her neck. Her gentle crooning lullaby warning him of the dangers of fire. And while it was the mad scientist Dr. Marcio Tannure who stitched Bigfoot back into one piece following his KO loss to Mark Hunt in Australia, it was Mama Bigfoot who nursed him back to health by stealing berries and soups from local blind hermits who mistook her foreboding presence for that of a gentle mute’s.

Stefan Struve has also learned a great deal from his mother over the years. In fact, his mother was considered as something of a nurturing mother to his entire sleepy hamlet of Beverwijk. She could easily pick the sweetest lingonberries that grew atop the hills without anyone having to climb them, and the villagers all knew that if they saw Mrs. Struve start to scramble and run away, there was some nearby threat to the other livestock that they themselves could not yet see. Many a sheep have been spared from wolfpacks thanks to her constant vigilance. And due to the Ahoy Rotterdam’s retractable roof design, Mrs. Struve can now see her son fight for the first time in his career!

Welterweight

Albert “Einstein” Tumenov

vs.

Gunnar “Gunni” Nelson

Albert Tumenov never saw much of his mother as she spent every waking moment out in the fields, harvesting grain for the motherland. But in between beatings and the beratings that he couldn’t be as productive of a textile manufacturer as his little sister Asiyat, Albert knew that his mother’s hard, calloused hands truly caressed his cheeks with love. It was that strong Balkar upbringing that has made Tumenov a 5-1 UFC welterweight prospect at just 24 years of age. Lot off the heels of a competitive bout with Lorenz Larkin, Tumenov hopes to be on a six-fight winning streak against Gunnar Nelson.

Nelson’s upbringing was also considerably rough. An untrained artist and actress, Mrs. Nelson wed Gunnar’s father at just 18 in a shotgun wedding. She and Gunnar’s father appeared together on television and a film or two before she gave birth to Gunnar and his brother a few years later. Gunnar’s parents drifted apart before she kicked his dad out of the house and divorced him following an affair with two Rams cheerleaders. Sadly her career never took off again and she developed a substance abuse problem, setting off a custody dispute over Gunnar’s younger sibling with her brother and — aw gently caress I read the wrong goddamn wikipedia again didn’t I?

Women’s Bantamweight

Germaine de Randamie

vs.

Anna Elmose

5-3 Dutch kickboxer Germaine de Randamie really loves her mom! Check out what she wrote about her one week ago on Instagram: Happy Birthday to the most amazing woman in this universe my MOM. This amazing woman made me who I am today, I would not been the person that I am without you. Thank you mama for all you love and support your lessons and most importantly for being you and being my mom❤️ I love you with every piece of my heart and soul and I wish you nothing but the very best!! May all your beautiful dreams come true🙏🏻 to many more happy and healthy years to come where we create so many more beautiful memories. I love you mama ❤️ #mom #birthday #utrecht #netherlands #love #family #prouddaughter #teamgermaine :allears:

I don’t know enough about Anna Elmose’s mom to even make anything up. Hell, she may BE a mom. The 3-0 Dane is making her UFC debut and hopes to make a name for herself off of a big win over a middling but durable name like de Randamie. She is also apparently a real estate sales coordinator for her day job. Good luck, Anna!

Light Heavyweight

Nikita “Miner” Krylov

vs.

Francimar Barroso

Nikita Krylov has a renewed dedication to his motherland of Ukraine. The breadbasket of the Eastern bloc has nurtured him with its rolling hills of grain, its abandoned nuclear disaster towns and, of course, it’s dark and dangerous coal mines. In a show of solitarity for Ukraine in its difficult time of bloody civil war and political strife, Krylov has changed his nickname to “Miner,” stating “In MMA we have dentist, cowboy but we don't have a miner.”

Francimar Barroso was separated from his family as a baby by a plane crash in the Amazon rainforest, where he was raised by eels who gave him his incredible powers of electricity and grunting. He hopes to be reunited with his long-lost mother after winning the tournament.

Women’s Strawweight

Karolina Kowalkiewicz

vs.

Heather Jo Clark

Undefeated Karolina Kowalkiewicz beat my crush Randa Markos in a fight but that’s ok, she seems pretty nice. I hope her mom is proud of her.

Heather Jo Clark looks like an airbrushed semi-erotic glamour shot of your mom from 1983 you accidentally found in a photo album tucked away in your closet and can never unsee.

OTHER poo poo TO WATCH

Fox Sports 1 Prelims, Noon ET
Lightweight Rustam Khabilov vs. Chris Wade
Middleweight Magnus Cedenblad vs. Garreth McLellan
Lightweight Josh Emmett vs. Jon Tuck
Lightweight Yan Cabral vs. Reza Madadi

Fight Pass Prelims, 10:30 a.m. ET
:siren: Flyweight Kyoji Horiguchi vs. Neil Seery :siren:
Welterweight Leon Edwards vs. Dominic Waters
Flyweight Ulka Sasaki vs. Willie Gates

Official Weighins, 11:30 a.m. ET Saturday, May 7
http://www.ufc.com/media/fight-night-rotterdam-official-weigh-in

Official MMA Snack Rating: Creamy Strawberry Crepes served to your mom for breakfast in bed :3:

Ingredients
3 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
4 cups sliced strawberries

Directions
Place the eggs, milk, water, melted butter, flour, and salt in the pitcher of a blender; blend until smooth.

Blend the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth. Gently fold in the whipped cream.

Heat a lightly oiled griddle or non-stick skillet over medium heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 2 tablespoons for each crepe. Tip and rotate pan to spread batter as thinly as possible. Flip over when the batter is set and the edges are beginning to brown. Cook until the other side begins to brown. Stack finished crepes on a plate, cover with a damp towel and set aside.

To serve, fill each crepe with 1/4 cup sliced strawberries and 1/3 cup of the cream cheese filling, roll up and top with a small dollop of the cream cheese filling and more sliced strawberries.

And don’t forget to make your picks in Goonweight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genderfluid and beautiful
Feb 1, 2005

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
If you ever leave for greener pastures, I have no idea what we'll do for GDTs. I'll bet your mum is very proud.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

what a nerd I bet that dude gets beat up all the time

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Bluedeanie posted:

Heather Jo Clark looks like an airbrushed semi-erotic glamour shot of your mom from 1983 you accidentally found in a photo album tucked away in your closet and can never unsee.

There no description of Heather Jo Clark more accurate than this one.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
1. Bluedeanie deserves a raise

2. Mousasi :3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C9lI0t8iec

3. Elmose is the fighter that did a curtsey after winning https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03XGNLtIm98

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Elmose is the fighter that did a curtsey after winning

She looks loving tiny next to Germaine. I suspect she'll move down to flyweight once that division gets going

https://twitter.com/UFCEurope/status/728975899769470978

Skjorte
Jul 5, 2010
I really, really dislike that fight for Elmose. She's had 3 pro MMA fights against similarly inexperienced European fighters, and while De Randamie's MMA record isn't all that, she's undefeated with like two dozen wins in muay thai. Plus she's like a head taller and a foot longer. I hope she gets through the fight okay and gets to stick around, especially if they'll actually commit to making a flyweight division in the near future.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012
I love deflated Overeem.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C9lI0t8iec&hd=1

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

afatwhiteloaf posted:

I love deflated Overeem.

Reasonable Reem

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
hmmm yeah

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Overeem is in better shape than me, obviously, but it's a shame he's no longer pantastic.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
speaking of which https://vimeo.com/165676287

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

Wait, why does Overeem have a long running well produced documentary series about himself?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Le Saboteur posted:

Wait, why does Overeem have a long running well produced documentary series about himself?

it rules - watch them all

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
If you're only going to watch one thing from The Reem, make it this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wKjP2Niu6o

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I keep forgetting that there's tons of people who haven't seen pantastic body or Bas' defense videos, or Travis Fulton's fight library.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

I keep forgetting that there's tons of people who haven't seen pantastic body or Bas' defense videos, or Travis Fulton's fight library.

You have no idea how upset I am that the black-and-white version of Kongo/Yvel set to old-timey french music appears to have disappeared from the internet.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul
Alistair Overeem's mom is a white guy?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Sure, dude

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Centripetal Horse posted:

Alistair Overeem's mom is a white guy?

Edgy

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Alistair Overeem's mother has had it too easy for too long.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Dr. Abysmal posted:

If you're only going to watch one thing from The Reem, make it this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wKjP2Niu6o

Please enjoy my higher quality version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDT1r55vwjM

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Just goes to show what my pa always used to say; there's a Hassy for everyone out there.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

fatherdog posted:

You have no idea how upset I am that the black-and-white version of Kongo/Yvel set to old-timey french music appears to have disappeared from the internet.

This forum has probably collectively spent more time looking for that video than OJ did the Real Killer, or anyone for Bobby Fisher

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
So like three or four hours I guess

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Genuine first impression.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Don't forget your goonweight picks for this weird card from a far off land.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3766591&pagenumber=3#post459525004

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

maffew buildings posted:

This forum has probably collectively spent more time looking for that video than OJ did the Real Killer, or anyone for Bobby Fisher

It was made originally by a goon iirc

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
What happened to the 'interesting ways to cool your dog' video?

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

origami posted:

What happened to the 'interesting ways to cool your dog' video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d98FVQuOGjA

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Overeem training with Wim Hof is insanely... weird? interesting? Like Wim's done a lot of reproducible stuff so I don't think he's a charlatan, but I don't know that whatever he's doing is actually going to be helpful in a fight context.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

thank you

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Snowman_McK posted:

If you ever leave for greener pastures, I have no idea what we'll do for GDTs. I'll bet your mum is very proud.

seriously. i never cared for ops that were anything more than a bare list of fights and where to watch (except for maybe one or two written by funny pro posters for special cards) but bleadeanie's are consistently good.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

fatherdog posted:

Overeem training with Wim Hof is insanely... weird? interesting? Like Wim's done a lot of reproducible stuff so I don't think he's a charlatan, but I don't know that whatever he's doing is actually going to be helpful in a fight context.

I have to admit I don't know anything about Wim Hof other than he sits in ice a lot. It sounded like a lot of what he was saying was about pH (you can ignore anyone talking about pH in a health context 100% of the time) which is really easy to manipulate by hyperventilating. However I was interested when he mentioned the hypothalamus and saw that basically all he does is breathing exercises and reinforcing an "in the present" narrative.

What he's doing is essentially mindfulness training. The variability of your heart rate is one of the biofeedback mechanisms (via the vagus nerve) to the brain regulating a whole lot of things, but at its most basic, you have very basic evolutionary brain functions that work much faster than the larger neocortex involved in higher processing. However you still need to react to things like deadly situations fast, so sensory feedback is "split" to the faster part of the brain (the limbic system/"lizard brain") and the neocortex. If the limbic system says "oh poo poo" and perceives the stimulus, rightly or wrongly, to be dangerous, the HPA axis gets activated and your mind quite literally constricts, and you get more neurons firing in the fast part than the slow part. Most of you have probably experienced this during a time of stress when you said something without thinking that made you sound like a huge rear end in a top hat, and only have a realisation momentarily afterwards and apologise.

So you can't directly control your heart rate, but you can control your breathing rate, which is linked to your heart rate, and thus control your vagal tone. Here's where it gets important, by having more control over your response to stress, you can help with things like recovery from exercise (cortisol increases proteolysis (muscle breakdown essentially) and opposes the action of insulin) but from a neuroscience perspective, the "fight or flight" response is a bit reductive, because we have a third response: to freeze and play dead, which Overeem does constantly when under pressure (danger stimulus). The immediate response to hearing that is to think well that's all well and good when you're sitting in some kook's pool but it's not going to have much effect on a fight, and to a large extent that's true. There's still going to be a huge adrenaline response during a fight (though the more you do something stressful the more blunted the cortisol response gets, I learned this from a guy who repeatedly threw people out of planes and tested their cortisol response) but you can actually alter the density of certain brain regions with even a few weeks of training.

The long and short of it is it can help out with recovery, if he's got the presence of mind to use it during round breaks it might help him absorb cornering instructions, and in the best case scenario might make him freeze up less. I did a 10 week course with a guy who uses mindfulness techniques to influence vagal tone in people with things like chronic diseases or mental disorders/addictions for a bunch of feasibility studies, it was really eye opening.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
That was a cool post, thank you

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

So that's probably where 'take a deep breath' when responding to something too emotionally comes from... I can see how that would actually really help a fighter if he could use it between rounds.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I have to admit I don't know anything about Wim Hof other than he sits in ice a lot. It sounded like a lot of what he was saying was about pH (you can ignore anyone talking about pH in a health context 100% of the time) which is really easy to manipulate by hyperventilating. However I was interested when he mentioned the hypothalamus and saw that basically all he does is breathing exercises and reinforcing an "in the present" narrative.

What he's doing is essentially mindfulness training. The variability of your heart rate is one of the biofeedback mechanisms (via the vagus nerve) to the brain regulating a whole lot of things, but at its most basic, you have very basic evolutionary brain functions that work much faster than the larger neocortex involved in higher processing. However you still need to react to things like deadly situations fast, so sensory feedback is "split" to the faster part of the brain (the limbic system/"lizard brain") and the neocortex. If the limbic system says "oh poo poo" and perceives the stimulus, rightly or wrongly, to be dangerous, the HPA axis gets activated and your mind quite literally constricts, and you get more neurons firing in the fast part than the slow part. Most of you have probably experienced this during a time of stress when you said something without thinking that made you sound like a huge rear end in a top hat, and only have a realisation momentarily afterwards and apologise.

So you can't directly control your heart rate, but you can control your breathing rate, which is linked to your heart rate, and thus control your vagal tone. Here's where it gets important, by having more control over your response to stress, you can help with things like recovery from exercise (cortisol increases proteolysis (muscle breakdown essentially) and opposes the action of insulin) but from a neuroscience perspective, the "fight or flight" response is a bit reductive, because we have a third response: to freeze and play dead, which Overeem does constantly when under pressure (danger stimulus). The immediate response to hearing that is to think well that's all well and good when you're sitting in some kook's pool but it's not going to have much effect on a fight, and to a large extent that's true. There's still going to be a huge adrenaline response during a fight (though the more you do something stressful the more blunted the cortisol response gets, I learned this from a guy who repeatedly threw people out of planes and tested their cortisol response) but you can actually alter the density of certain brain regions with even a few weeks of training.

The long and short of it is it can help out with recovery, if he's got the presence of mind to use it during round breaks it might help him absorb cornering instructions, and in the best case scenario might make him freeze up less. I did a 10 week course with a guy who uses mindfulness techniques to influence vagal tone in people with things like chronic diseases or mental disorders/addictions for a bunch of feasibility studies, it was really eye opening.

please don't ever stop posting here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

henkman posted:

That was a cool post, thank you

:agreed:

• Locked thread