Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

I thought I'd share photos of my pistol collection. I've shared all these photos before but not all in one place. I did not include long arms and I think this is mostly complete with respect to pistols but I may have forgotten some.

S&W Pre-14 K-38 Heavy Masterpiece

S&W Performance Center 3566 (SAO) .356TSW and 9mm and
S&W Performance Center 5906 IDPA (DA/SA) 9mm

Manurhin MR73 Sport (on order from Chapuis - image is stock image)

Korth Sport Revolver .357 Magnum

Korth Sport Revolver Triple Lock .357 Magnum (in import process)

Korriphila HSP 701

Hammerli Sig P240

Sig Arms P210-5 Heavy Frame

Sig Sauer Legend Super Target 9mm

Sig Sauer X5E Classic 9mm

H&K USP 9mm (tuned by Gray Guns) and
H&K USP Tactical .45 ACP

H&K USP Compact 9mm

H&K USP Expert 9mm

H&K P9 Sport Group I 9mm

H&K P9S Target 9mm

H&K P9S Sport Group III .45 ACP

Pardini GT45 II 9mm

Pardini SP Bullseye

Benelli MP3S 9mm (in import process)

Tanfoglio Gold Match Xtreme 9mm

CZ CZ75 Champion .40S&W

Beretta 96 Combat .40S&W

Beretta 92FS Centennial 9mm

Pistol Dynamics Scout 1911 .45 (ordered and being built - image is stock image)

Chambers Custom 1911 9mm (ordered and being built - no representative image since completely custom)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

I'll take the P240 and the 96 Combat, TIA.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 6, 2009

click clack POW, officer down

some okay guns i guess

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I wish I had your kind of money, Yuns. Even if my spending habits are far more lowbrow than yours.

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

Fuckin' A.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Well i fold

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

To be honest I am not jealous of most of those except for the Korth revolvers. Those things are loving beautiful. And the custom 1911s, too; even though I don't actually love the 1911 platform I do still intend on buying a few semi customs and customs once I am out of my obscenely long training pipeline.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Basticle posted:

Well i fold

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"

Hot drat those are all beautiful. Came across this GB seller last night and thought of you, Yuns.

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?IncludeSellers=341801&PageSize=30

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

That seller is Michael Zeleny who is a serious collector of pistols. His collection is far far nicer than mine. My collection is pretty small and incoherent compared to the serious collectors. beetle and Sixgun are far more serious collectors than me. I am more of an accumulator. I just buy nice target pistols that I want to shoot and I like excellent craftsmanship.

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

To be honest I am not jealous of most of those except for the Korth revolvers. Those things are loving beautiful. And the custom 1911s, too; even though I don't actually love the 1911 platform I do still intend on buying a few semi customs and customs once I am out of my obscenely long training pipeline.

I suspect that basically everything in this post is something all of us would crank up the jealousy dial on if you got to shoot it.

There's a lot of guns that just don't register well without having handled them and shot them. The thing about this collection is that Yuns has a collection of the modern versions of what I collect. Really special, high quality, target guns. I know that I can't really explain much of my collection so someone without putting it in their hand at the range.

Yuns posted:

That seller is Michael Zeleny who is a serious collector of pistols. His collection is far far nicer than mine. My collection is pretty small and incoherent compared to the serious collectors. beetle and Sixgun are far more serious collectors than me. I am more of an accumulator. I just buy nice target pistols that I want to shoot and I like excellent craftsmanship.

Hah, Beetle may be, but I'm just a more prolific accumulator with luck, who has fortunately found some pretty good mentors to direct my tastes the proper directions.

I'm *trying* to be a better collector.

Also, that Korth Triple Lock? I've said it before and I will likely say it again and again. That thing is amazingly special.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

If anyone wants detail shots or more information about any of these pistols, please let me know and I'll post them here. In addition, we're having our semi-annual Glocktalk General Firearms range day in eastern PA on May 14th if anyone is interested in coming out and shooting lots of interesting pistols.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 7, 2016

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I still admire your collection greatly Sixgun. I agree that it's hard to communicate craftsmanship until you actually view and handle these firearms in person.

There are a lot of classic American revolvers that I intend to eventually collect but haven't been as much of a priority as my weirdo European stuff. On my list to eventually acquire are:
King sighted Registered Magnum
shooter grade Non-registered Magnum
S&W Triple Lock Target
S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman
Colt Python (1955-1957 model and full checkered grips)

And even some more modern revolvers on the list:
S&W 29 DX
S&W 610

wontondestruction
Dec 3, 2012

I'm a piece of human waste who supports a culture of using gendered slurs, that leads to 78.1% of women in STEM fields experiencing sexual harassment

Awesome collection, man. Love the Korths, but for some reason the Benelli speaks to me.

Not Nipsy Russell
Oct 6, 2004

Failure is always an option.

Please tell me everything about this.

Everything

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

That is my H&K P9S Sport Group III. It is one of the last P9S ever made and it has a KE date code (1994). It appears to be a special order since general production of the P9S series ended in the 80s.

The P9/P9S series was the pinnacle of the H&K target pistols. The pistol was designed as a combat pistol with hybrid polymer and metal frame and an unusual roller delay mechanism and fixed barrel. The fixed barrel made for both an excellent suppressor host and exceptional accuracy and a handful made it into the inventory of the SEAL teams as a silenced pistol.

There are a number of different P9S models but the major ones are the standard P9S also commonly called the P9S Combat, the P9S Sport and the P9S Target. All came in .45 and 9mm. The .45 models (~8.462 made) are rarer than the 9mm models (~41,372 made). There is also the SAO predecessor P9 that is very rare (485 production models made in 9mm).

The standard P9S is sometimes called the P9S Combat and is a DA/SA pistol with 4" barrel, fixed sights, non-adjustable trigger and a plastic grip. Very early models are blued but most are matte phosphate finished.

The P9S Target has a tall front sight paired with an adjustable target rear sight, an adjustable swing up overtravel stop (use of the overtravel stop makes the gun effectively SAO), an adjustable trigger (adjusts only for sear engagement). In theory the adjustment screw only adjusts sear engagement and changes crispness of the trigger pull but in reality the screw changes both trigger weight and crispness. The target model has the standard 4" barrel and is SA/DA.

The P9S Sport came in Sport Group I, Sport Group II and Sport Group III. This is almost the same as the Target. It has the target sights, overtravel stop and adjustable target trigger of the target model but came with a Nills made ergonomic target grip as well as the regular plastic grip and with a 5.5 inch barrel with a weight on the end.

The Sport Group I was based on the original SAO P9 so you'll rarely if ever one. I have only ever seen 2 others in the U.S. besides mine.
The Sport Group II only came with the one 5.5" barrel with the weight.
The early Sport Group III came with one slide and a 4" standard barrel and the 5.5" extended barrel with the weight on it. The front sight is on the slide.
Later Sport Group III came with 2 slides: one was the standard 4" barrel slide with fixed sights and the second was the slide with the 5.5" barrel, the barrel weight and adjustable sights. The front sight is on the barrel weight of these later SGIII models.

I have only ever seen about 12 or so P9S Sport Group III in .45 online. There is one very rare Sport Group model of which I have only ever known of 4. This model comes with 2 slides both with 5.5" barrels and barrel weights. One slide is .45 and one is 9mm and it comes with 4 magazines. 2 .45 and 2 9mm.

The adjustable trigger of the 9mm and .45 models are slightly different. The .45 has a shorter reset and the 9mm a lighter trigger.

My P9S SG III has a SA trigger pull of 3.8 lbs and the trigger pull and reset are each less than 1mm. The break is extremely crisp and the trigger resets right back at the "wall" of the second stage resulting in a less than 1mm reset. The break and reset are better than my Ed Brown 1911 although it has take up which my Ed Brown didn't.

Test target pictured is around 1.1 inch center to center at 25 meters.

Even though this pistol competed with the P210-5 and -6 series as a target pistol, in a way it was the diametric opposite. While the P210 asked the question, "how finely can we machine and make a service pistol?", the P9S Sport Group series asked "how accurate can we make a pistol using stampings and polymer?"

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 7, 2016

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Heh, yeah, 'round here I call myself The Enabler. I suspect pretty much everyone wishes they could be me -- I'm kind of a big deal, you see.

Yuns posted:

I still admire your collection greatly Sixgun. I agree that it's hard to communicate craftsmanship until you actually view and handle these firearms in person.

There are a lot of classic American revolvers that I intend to eventually collect but haven't been as much of a priority as my weirdo European stuff. On my list to eventually acquire are:
King sighted Registered Magnum
shooter grade Non-registered Magnum
S&W Triple Lock Target
S&W 38/44 Outdoorsman
Colt Python (1955-1957 model and full checkered grips)

And even some more modern revolvers on the list:
S&W 29 DX
S&W 610

You should add a King Super Target Colt Officer's Model complete with Ropers to your list. Preferably non-thumb rest that fit your hands. Having it side by side with the early Python would be something I think you would really appreciate.

Additionally, a pre-war Colt Woodsman Match Target would fit very very nicely into your collection.

The other 3 to look at that I think you would find you liked more then you suspect would be a Colt Camp Perry Model, a S&W Straight Line, and an H&R USRA.

I have a lot of guns that I love, but there one that stands out at the range is my Colt Camp Perry. It gets the most range time of all my guns and is so viscerally satisfying to shoot. I will say that the good Ropers and King sights on it are to my way of thinking, a necessity. The original sights were bad, and the original grips were terrible. With the right stocks and sights however the thing is a laser gun with a ridiculous trigger, great balance, and a solid bank vaulty, mechanical perfection feel to it that just makes the whole experience excellent. Being single shot also makes it super relaxing.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Sixgun Strumpet posted:

You should add a King Super Target Colt Officer's Model complete with Ropers to your list. Preferably non-thumb rest that fit your hands. Having it side by side with the early Python would be something I think you would really appreciate.

Additionally, a pre-war Colt Woodsman Match Target would fit very very nicely into your collection.

The other 3 to look at that I think you would find you liked more then you suspect would be a Colt Camp Perry Model, a S&W Straight Line, and an H&R USRA.

I have a lot of guns that I love, but there one that stands out at the range is my Colt Camp Perry. It gets the most range time of all my guns and is so viscerally satisfying to shoot. I will say that the good Ropers and King sights on it are to my way of thinking, a necessity. The original sights were bad, and the original grips were terrible. With the right stocks and sights however the thing is a laser gun with a ridiculous trigger, great balance, and a solid bank vaulty, mechanical perfection feel to it that just makes the whole experience excellent. Being single shot also makes it super relaxing.
Thanks for the recommendations. I had forgotten about the Colt OM and the Woodsman. The Camp Perry looks super interesting.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 7, 2016

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I hate you I love you I hate you.

I want an MR73 so bad.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Yes, yes, yes, yes, would, yes, would, yes, yes, yes, yes, goddam, yes, would yes, yes, yes.

Capn Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Enter the woods, find a friend!

Yuns posted:

Korth Sport Revolver Triple Lock .357 Magnum (in import process)

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Yuns posted:

Korth Sport Revolver .357 Magnum

Dat wood

Sixgun Strumpet
Feb 16, 2009

Yuns posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. I had forgotten about the Colt OM and the Woodsman. The Camp Perry looks super interesting.

If you can get a copy of it "Pistol and Revolver Shooting" by Walter Roper is a book you would really really like. He goes through all of the target shooting pistols from before the war, even talks about European guns from time to time, even though the book is primarily about American guns. I think you would love his explanations of pre-war target guns and shooting, including the development and advances.

Here's a bit about a gun he keeps gushing over that I need to look into:

Walter Roper posted:

...the Swiss Weber Pistol - an arm so fine that it was little short of perfection...

Which I would guess has to be this thing: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?350562-Adolph-Weber-22-Match-Pistol

Seeing as apparently Weber would make the...GUN? to fit your hand?

In any case, it's a new white whale for me.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Hey yuns http://www.gunbroker.com/item/564976639

JRay88
Jan 4, 2013

Do you have kids? If not, I volunteer to be beneficiary of your will. That is a seriously fine collection of pistols you got there. The Manuhrin and Korth revolvers are some of the finest looking guns in my opinion. Do they shoot as well as they look?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

You missed a very good opportunity for arranging your four USPs. It should be obvious.

phuzzylodgik
Oct 20, 2005

Fuck this filter shit.

That Performance Center 3566 makes me feel kinda funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

That S&W 3566 is really interesting. I have handled a lot of the newer Performance Center guns and they are all extremely nice pistols and revolvers. I have also handled a lot of the 35** series pistols and while they are interesting guns, and I like them, but they have had some negatives for me, one of which was that they feel kind of cheaply made. How do you like the Performance Center version? I'd love to handle that more than anything on that list other than the P210-5.

The P210 Legends are good guns but I don't care for them compared to the originals, build quality wise, especially at the same price basically. The ergonomic bonus of the beavertail and the button release is hard to quantify as the trade off for the lesser build quality, as it depends on what discipline you plan on shooting. What's your thoughts on your Legend compared with the P210 after having owned it for a while?

If the idea of selling that P210-5 ever crosses your mind please contact me, I can supply you with my email if you'd like to have it for future reference.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

JRay88 posted:

Do you have kids? If not, I volunteer to be beneficiary of your will. That is a seriously fine collection of pistols you got there. The Manuhrin and Korth revolvers are some of the finest looking guns in my opinion. Do they shoot as well as they look?
They are both extremely accurate. I shot a full cylinder out of the Korth at 25 yards into a 1.3" group.

Thanks. I stuck that on my watch list.

mikerock posted:

That S&W 3566 is really interesting. I have handled a lot of the newer Performance Center guns and they are all extremely nice pistols and revolvers. I have also handled a lot of the 35** series pistols and while they are interesting guns, and I like them, but they have had some negatives for me, one of which was that they feel kind of cheaply made. How do you like the Performance Center version? I'd love to handle that more than anything on that list other than the P210-5.

The P210 Legends are good guns but I don't care for them compared to the originals, build quality wise, especially at the same price basically. The ergonomic bonus of the beavertail and the button release is hard to quantify as the trade off for the lesser build quality, as it depends on what discipline you plan on shooting. What's your thoughts on your Legend compared with the P210 after having owned it for a while?

If the idea of selling that P210-5 ever crosses your mind please contact me, I can supply you with my email if you'd like to have it for future reference.
The 3566 Limited is extremely well made and is up to the 952/PPC9 build standards. I really like mine since it also came with a 9mm barrel fitted by the Performance Center so I can switch between calibers.

The Legend is not quite as well made as the Swiss versions but its still well made and it is a very accurate pistol. As noted the ergos are a big improvement. If I had to get rid of one, I would keep the Swiss one and sell the Legend but I really like having both. The Legend is a great shooter. I'm not ready to sell the P210-5 yet but I'll keep you in mind if I ever do.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Thanks, I know it might be hard to remember my offer at the time you decide to sell it, what with your presumed advanced stage of dementia or other crippling brain disease, but here's hoping!

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Yuns posted:

S&W Performance Center 3566 (SAO) .356TSW and 9mm and
S&W Performance Center 5906 IDPA (DA/SA) 9mm

Did they ever make a 5904TSW or PPC gun with an alloy frame?

I got a 5904 but its got the square trigger guard made in 1990.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

Yuns posted:

H&K P9 Sport Group I 9mm

I always immediately think of the show Hunter when you post pictures of the P9S.

It's such a neat yet relatively forgotten handgun. I had no idea that Walther even made a .45ACP variant.

Hennig
Jan 4, 2014

Just FYI this is a ridiculous collection of firearms. Love it.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks. I really like shooting high quality pistols and somewhat accidentally became a collector of them.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

another one for you yuns http://www.gunbroker.com/item/564274446

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

just gonna keep posting weird poo poo like this here

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/571381730

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Thanks Basticle for the links. By the way, I did a bunch of accuracy testing this weekend, 7 hours of shooting 11 different pistols. Working on an article but in the mean time check out this X-Five 25 yard target I shot (click for bigger).

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Lmao i couldnt pull that off at 10 yards

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

My soup has malfunctioned?

Yah, I can just about manage the upper left group at 10m with a dedicated target pistol using good ammo on a good day. Was that rested shooting? If so, what kind of rest do you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Yes it was rested. But not a fancy rest. I have a caldwell sandbag meant for rifle shooting. I just hold the pistol as I normally would but rest the bottom of my hands on top of the sandbag.

One of these:
http://www.btibrands.com/product/deadshot-boxed-combo-front-rear-bag-filled/

Yuns fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 18, 2016

• Locked thread