Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Sure the Lord of the Rings series is a modern classic that may never be surpassed, but every high fantasy novel published since has been, in one way or another, a pale imitation of Tolkien's seminal work.

If LotR had never been published, would we possibly see a fantasy genre that is more diverse and creative, or do you think that if it hadn't been LotR, every fantasy novel would be copying some other, inferior work, and the genre would be even worse off?

My favorite fantasy series is Conan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
the only fantasy I have .... is your mom :grin:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
my favorite is d&d i have a dark elf halfling paladin

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

definitely

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

what an interesting and intriguing question!!!! can't wait to see what lively discussion it brings about in our beloved gbs

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Why did you stop with the robot titties thread?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
My favorite fantasy series is none of them because they are all garbage written by conservative nutcases whose work belongs in the trash.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

was liv tyler's character supposed to be retarded

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dont think that fantasy novels ape lotr so much as they do the popular conception of lotr. no one actually wants to read about a wizard that never uses magic much less all of those dumb songs. but a vaguely medieval setting with demihumans and magic, sure. plenty of stuff you can do with that tool set.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sci-fi > fantasy

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Believe it or not GRRM only started writing because he loved comic books so much. He would sit and read comics and watch a harbor with all the boats coming and going and wonder about all the different places in the world they had gone. His first published work was in a letter to the editor in Fantastic Four #20.

So I guess what I am saying is that we have Reed Richards to thank for Game of Thrones, not Tolkien. Of course LOTR is essential to the fantasy genre even existing what kind of dumb question is this?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
would the jews be better off without hitler? 5 facts that will make you think

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Windows 98 posted:

Believe it or not GRRM only started writing because he loved comic books so much. He would sit and read comics and watch a harbor with all the boats coming and going and wonder about all the different places in the world they had gone. His first published work was in a letter to the editor in Fantastic Four #20.

So I guess what I am saying is that we have Reed Richards to thank for Game of Thrones, not Tolkien. Of course LOTR is essential to the fantasy genre even existing what kind of dumb question is this?

Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein at 19, just mentioning

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Why did you stop with the robot titties thread?

Cuz even though I got my internet hooked up in my new house last night, my wife has threatened to wallop me with a rolling pin if I draw anything while there's still boxes to unpack.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Falun Bong Refugee posted:

Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein at 19, just mentioning

Yes, during a storm and "scary story" contest with some friends while on vacation and bored because it was like 1818 and what else are you gonna do.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Windows 98 posted:

Yes, during a storm and "scary story" contest with some friends while on vacation and bored because it was like 1818 and what else are you gonna do.

Tell you what I wish we still did stuff like that.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
1818 was boring and gay what did those idiots who couldnt write do? Die of the pox or something because they didnt have internet

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Windows 98 posted:

What I meant was by 19 Shelley was reading Plutarch's lives and Prometheus unbound while GRRM was reading THE GREATEST COMIC MAGAZINE IN THE WORLD, and that's why he's a hack.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

a woman could never write frankenstein

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I think we'd be better off without Western fantasy existing in the first place, if you ask me :mad:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

frankenstein was written by christopher marlowe

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
lol do you think when he was making the monster he looked extra hard to find a huge monster sized wang to sew onto it?

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What I meant was by 19 Shelley was reading Plutarch's lives and Prometheus unbound while GRRM was reading THE GREATEST COMIC MAGAZINE IN THE WORLD, and that's why he's a hack.

Old books are retarded and use overly complex language because there was nothing to do so may as well spend eight hours reading a chapter

Also shakespeare was the old time version of seth macfarlane

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Applewhite posted:

Sure the Lord of the Rings series is a modern classic that may never be surpassed, but every high fantasy novel published since has been, in one way or another, a pale imitation of Tolkien's seminal work.

If LotR had never been published, would we possibly see a fantasy genre that is more diverse and creative, or do you think that if it hadn't been LotR, every fantasy novel would be copying some other, inferior work, and the genre would be even worse off?

My favorite fantasy series is Conan.

shut the gently caress up

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Frankenstein was accidentally written by Lord Byron's dick as it blindly flopped around trying to gently caress Mary Shelley.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Skeleton Ape posted:

I think we'd be better off without Western fantasy existing in the first place, if you ask me :mad:

Yeah who needs western fantasy when you can have all the superior Nipponese animes!

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

a woman could never write frankenstein

Actually it was called "Frankenstein's Monster." :smug: :smug: :smug:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
if I was dr frankkenstien I'd probably have given the monster a huge cool dick, but then again it might make you feel inadequate so maybe he gave the monster a tiny little micropeen so he could be like "oh yeah, you may be super strong but look at my big cool weener its way bigger than yours lol"

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

Old books are retarded and use overly complex language because there was nothing to do so may as well spend eight hours reading a chapter

Also shakespeare was the old time version of seth macfarlane

I'm sorry they didn't teach you how to read in school. If you think Shelley was hard I bet you would have a fit trying to read Faulkner.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I tried listening to an audiobook of lord of the rings and after an 8 hour shift they still hadn't left frodo's shire or whatever. No idea how people could get through that much exposition

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

signalnoise posted:

I tried listening to an audiobook of lord of the rings and after an 8 hour shift they still hadn't left frodo's shire or whatever. No idea how people could get through that much exposition

maybe it was the voice of the audio book voice actor, did you consider asking your mom to read it for you instead? idiot btich

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I'm sorry they didn't teach you how to read in school. If you think Shelley was hard I bet you would have a fit trying to read Faulkner.

I didnt say it was hard, i was implying that anyone with a hardon for classics is a dumb idiot bitch trying to look smart

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Applewhite posted:

Actually it was called "Frankenstein's Monster." :smug: :smug: :smug:

No it's called Frankenstein. It's about Dr. Frankenstein, his monster is just a character in it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

extra stout posted:

maybe it was the voice of the audio book voice actor, did you consider asking your mom to read it for you instead? idiot btich

yeah

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

No it's called Frankenstein. It's about Dr. Frankenstein, his monster is just a character in it.

yeah, see what i mean about being a dumb idiot bitch trying to look smart?

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Robo Reagan posted:

yeah, see what i mean about being a dumb idiot bitch trying to look smart?

I don't have to try to look smart.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

He was 15 when the letter was published and he wrote it at the age of 14. Give him a break, man.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I don't have to try to look smart.

i like you, you're a swell guy, but your a dumbidiot bitch

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Here's my favorite work of fantasy, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Instead of breakthrough gay characters like Frodo and Gamgee, and iconic wizard such as Gandalf, we'd have some gay Jesus lion.

• Locked thread