Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
yay horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

So I guess Florida was the true showing of Mohaymen. I want to see Exaggerator at Belmont.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
If Destin had moved his rear end into fourth I'd have nailed the superfecta. gently caress.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Well I don't want to say I told you so but oh wait I did in the OP. :smug:

I have no idea if there's going to be a Preakness thread and there probably won't be a Belmont thread unless we have a shot at another Triple Crown dood. This one went okay! But the Preakness doesn't exactly scream MUST WATCH EVENT sooo.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Also I kind of want to do horse racing GDTs for major events (like Breeders Cup) but I'm not sure there's enough interest in non-famous races. :justpost: and all but if there's like four pages of Chokesposting with the occasional interruption then meh. :)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

You could turn this into the Horse Racing GDT and maybe get Hand Knit to change the title.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CBJSprague24 posted:

You could turn this into the Horse Racing GDT and maybe get Hand Knit to change the title.

It might not be a bad idea but the major events are several weeks apart and I'd want to redo the OP for each. The other issue is that there's only four major televised events, and Breeders Cup is pushing it.

I think if I put a lot more effort into it then "hey here's four races at the end of the card" it'll attract more people, but I also get the feeling there's like six people on the forums who play the ponies and two of them are doing it ironically

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Hey, sorry I missed this! I made out pretty well on Nyquist because I took advantage of a double-deal with TVG: deposited $100 with a 1st deposit match offer, then bet $50 to win on both Nyquist and Mohaymen in the Florida Derby to get a 3x Kentucky Derby odds deal on the winner (Nyquist). Worked out well!

Anyway, hell of a race by Nyquist to stay that close to such a hot pace and hold on. You'd like to think Exaggerator would be the big danger in the Belmont, though to be fair he had close to a perfect trip for his running style, and closing hard in the Derby doesn't always translate to the same deal in the Belmont.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Chokes McGee posted:

Also I kind of want to do horse racing GDTs for major events (like Breeders Cup) but I'm not sure there's enough interest in non-famous races. :justpost: and all but if there's like four pages of Chokesposting with the occasional interruption then meh. :)
What about 4 pages of just numbers and bet results all from one poster? Or was that you?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Chokes McGee posted:

It might not be a bad idea but the major events are several weeks apart and I'd want to redo the OP for each. The other issue is that there's only four major televised events, and Breeders Cup is pushing it.

I think if I put a lot more effort into it then "hey here's four races at the end of the card" it'll attract more people, but I also get the feeling there's like six people on the forums who play the ponies and two of them are doing it ironically

I might occasionally post in such a thread, but mainly only because my grandfather used to take me to OTB and I have fond memories of old Italians and Jamaicans arguing with each other

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

CannonFodder posted:

What about 4 pages of just numbers and bet results all from one poster? Or was that you?

That was Mr. Trifecta, he basically ran a racing thread to pimp his handicapping service.

forward pass
Dec 9, 2005

Y'all get back now.
Is this the Preakness thread now? If it is I still want Nyquist to win.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I hope the result puts a smile on one of the blue blood's faces, they deserve it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Well, that Triple Crown run for Nyquist went about as well as his namesake's playoff run.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

Nyquist more like Chokequist

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Now we get to hear about how the conditions did him in.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

haha I guess it's two brothers that hate each other that rode and owned Exaggerator. "I haven't thought about my brother one time" when asked if he thought about his brother riding the horse to win lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Eltoasto posted:

haha I guess it's two brothers that hate each other that rode and owned Exaggerator. "I haven't thought about my brother one time" when asked if he thought about his brother riding the horse to win lmao.

There's actually kind of a sad story there. Here's an article from a few years ago on the brother's relationship.
http://www.drf.com/news/desormeaux-conflicting-views-his-struggles

quote:

Like most jockeys, Kent Desormeaux does not eat like a normal human being. Except for maybe an occasional Snickers bar, he will avoid food all morning and afternoon. In the evening, it’s “maybe a steak and a glass or two of wine,” he said.

It is well documented that many jockeys punish themselves to make an acceptable weight. Desormeaux admits he has flipped, or vomited, some of his meals. His natural weight probably would be about 135 pounds, maybe more, if he did not resort to such drastic measures. The long-term implications of such self-inflicted torture can be dire, with the kidney, liver, and other critical organs affected. It is the complicit trade-off that many riders accept for their shot at a lucrative living. Asked how often he thinks of food, he plainly stated: “All jockeys think about food all the time.”

Keith Desormeaux strongly believes that the years of this abuse, combined with the way Kent drinks alcohol, has spiraled Kent into the danger zone. Yes, Kent has lived his life the same way all these years, but he is no longer a kid. Even the body of a world-class athlete has limitations in what it can tolerate.

“To me, it’s been cumulative,” said Keith. “It’s physiological. After a while, your muscles and organs just can’t take all the abuse. Kent might say he’s okay because he doesn’t drink before he rides, but honestly, I believe it’s affecting his entire being.”

To no avail, the family has attempted an intervention with Kent and tried to line up one of those exclusive rehabilitation facilities for him. “Money hasn’t been the issue,” said Keith.

But Kent is adamant that as long as alcohol is not anywhere near the workplace, he is on safe ground – and besides, he said, many of his riding colleagues do the same thing.

“One drink doesn’t make you a drunk,” he said. “Every jock but maybe a couple, when they leave that room after a hard day of riding, the first thing they do is go grab a cold beer. There’s no colder beer than that first one after you’ve ridden six or seven.”

After the Woodbine incident, Desormeaux successfully completed an alcohol counseling program in New York. He also attended Alcoholics Anonymous meetings but feels he got little out of them “except for maybe having 3,000 new best friends,” he said with sarcasm. “I had people calling from all over, asking, ‘Need help? Anything I can do for you, buddy?’ I’m like, no, thanks, I’m fine.”

The situation hasn't really gotten better since then. Keith Desormeaux is one of a handful trainers still willing to let Kent ride his horses, and they've teamed up for a couple stakes wins now. Exaggerator is the best horse Kent's ridden in many years.

• Locked thread