Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
My dog just died minutes ago.

About an hour ago everything was normal, he was fine one moment, the next he made vomiting noises but when I checked, nothing had came out, and he got restless. I noticed his stomach had bloated, and he kept lying down one place, only to get up and go lie down somewhere else, rinse and repeat. He'd had done this before and it was always just diarhea, but in the back of my mind I kept wondering if I should call the vet. His stomach hadn't got quite that big the other times. He had no signs of fever, but sometimes he spaced out and I had a difficult time getting him to look at me. He kept panting (it is very hot around here tonight, as is normal this time of the year), and sometimes I got him to react, but I mostly thought his behavior was normal for the rare occasions he got sick like this. I -very foolishly, in retrospect- decided to wait to see if he managed to push it all out and geot better as it usually happened, and call the vet if he showed no signs of doing so.

We got him to go outside to the backyard, in case he finally excreted and to help him cool down, but instead he lied down. I kept rubbing his stomach, thinking he was holding it in (having diarhea scared him in previous occasions and he always tried to hold it in for as long as he could) so, although I was worried, I kept hoping the urge to poop or pee or whatever would win out. I even got some wet paper towels and rubbed his anus with it hoping that would do the trick.

I stepped inside for a moment because I really had to pee myself, and as I was washing my hands my Mom went out to check on him, came back inside, gave me a worried look in passing, went to get my Dad, and after a moment came back inside in tears and told me he had passed away.

We checked his pulse, tried to get him to react, but he really was dead.

He's still outside, lying under a blanket.

My Dad is trying to get a hold of some funeral pet services or the vet, who doesn't seem to have his cell phone on, or at least get contact info for tomorrow morning (it's past 1 am here), and I'm sitting here in a state somewhere between shock (I only managed to cry a little so far) and trying not to think about it at all, and wondering if we could have done something if I'd called the vet an hour ago like my instincts told me, or if it was already too late.

I feel like an awful person. I'm more sad and regretful over myself not doing something, not being there when he passed away, not realizing that he would die tonight, than over him dying.

There was nothing out of the ordinary today, he ate normally, drank water normally, pooped and peed just normally at his regular times, it simply happened abruptly.

gently caress.

He was old for his breed (Fila Brasileiro, he was an indoors dog but we have a big yard, it's not illegal to have them here), a little past 11 years old, when that breed's lifespan is usually 8 to 10 years old, and he was in pretty good health, not fat, no bad hips, his eyesight and hearing were only deteriorating slightly, which I attributed to his old age, he was still active, and he was very obedient and intelligent and he was a very, very good dog, and I wish I'd told him that at least once tonight. I usually do it every day, several times a day.

I keep feeling that I didn't do enough. I miss him already, but I think it won't really hit me until tomorrow when I wake up and he's not there.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I'm doing this right, I've never posted in this subforum before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isasphere
Mar 7, 2013
Thanks. It means a lot to me to hear that. I went into a crying spree starting last night and into this morning, but it's finally starting to feel like the world isn't ending after all. I still keep looking for him when I hear noises, but now it hurts less to remember he's gone.

Things were arranged this morning and he's now on his way to being buried somewhere nice with lots of trees, out of town. :unsmith:

• Locked thread