Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Priscilla Franciselle/Silver, the Rogue

You know, I've been thinking. Why do superheroes exist? Because of supervillains. Why do supervillains exist? To that answer, I found two questions. There's two kinds of supervillains: Those that take it all way to seriously... and those that just want to have a blast. Metaphorically, of course. Or, maybe not? Who knows...

The first kind of supervillain is what creates superheroes. Which, in turn, means that superheroes take it all way too seriously, as a rule.

Just think about it. They could fix the world if only they followed this simple idea:

Stop taking it all so seriously.

quote:

Where did you get your powers?

Space Rocks. No. Nuclear Waste. Be real. A nice guy in a suit? Come on, now you're not even trying.

... Fine. I got them because of my utter boredom! Indirectly. It's... kinda... awkward. See, I'm the only daughter of the Leopold Franciselle. Yeah, that rich bastard. But let me tell you something: That is boring as hell. It's very clear he wants a successor and not a daughter. Constant, endless studies, violin practice, all this boring rich people stuff. And then it happened.

One day, I was alone in the mansion. And then this supervillain, Shadowcloak, comes to rob the place! I hid, but he ended up hearing me over my whimpering. It... kind of threw off his plans. See, the place was supposed to be empty. Anyway, he actually ended up kidnapping me for ransom. Tried to anyway. It... kind of did not go according to plan. See, once he had me in his hideout, we... kinda started talking. See, I, uhm, somehow ended up telling him that this has been the most exciting thing to happen to me in months.

For some reason, we just ended up bonding over that! See, he actually started opening up too. Apparently, he was in much of the same situation when he was younger. He ended up running away, and became a villain. Would you believe he actually had videogames in his hideout? We... kind of ended up playing videogames all day, waiting for the ransom to be transferred. Yes, I realize the situation was strange as hell. But I didn't mind. I was having fun! For once in my goddamn lifetime!

I really wanted this moment to last forever. Well, turns out... it was pretty close to it! Apparently, from shock, or willpower, of whatever, I managed to learn how to control time. We somehow played for what felt like three days, in the span of three hours.

quote:

When were you first betrayed?

Well, look at that! You really got me talking.

... Would you believe it was my own father? See, after I got back, I told him I had a superpower. Wanted to be a hero with it. He told me to go and get the entry tests done if I really wanted to.

Somehow, I failed every single one of them. It had to be bullshit. Of course it was bullshit. Did he seriously think I wouldn't check? He paid them off, to make me fail. All because he wanted his 'fragile flower of a daughter' to remain locked up to become a second him. Gah.

quote:

Who, outside your peers, do you actually trust?

In a rather ironic twist - I ended up following in Shadowcloak's footsteps instead. Ended up meeting him again in his hideout. Told him everything. About my new powers, that I wanted out of this boring existence, all that. He ended up letting me hang out, and even set up this whole MADD thing for me. Once you get to know him, he's actually a pretty nice guy! He just wants that adrenaline rush only supervillainy can give.

Just like me.

quote:

Why do think the others keep you around?

Who knows what goes on in their heads? Not much, granted, but it's probably got to do with how useful my powers are. Or maybe it's the fact I can provide safe houses thanks to Shadowcloak sharing them with me.

Hell, I might even fun to be around! Did you ever consider that part?

quote:

Why do you suffer the others?

They amuse me. Or rather, they are instruments of my amusement. They work so hard for money, power, whatever. They don't get what really matters.

Having fun.

But if they don't want to laugh with me, I suppose I'll have to laugh at them instead.

quote:

Please insult me with your most villainous, overblown invective.
... Why are you asking this? Is... that ... nevermind... I'm sorry, I'll have to refuse. I am not into that.

That, and I do think actions speak louder than words. Which, incidentally, is why I put that giant sign stating 'likes to be insulted by teenage girls' on your back and secured it withtape it across your entire body. Have fun getting that off! Anyway, I'll be going now. Ciao!

quote:

Please describe a comic book cover featuring your character and a misleading narrative. See any Superdickery cover for what I mean. This is for yourself as much as me, to see what kind of tone of humor you want to approach this with.

Silver, in a waitress outfit, brings a stuffed turkey to a group of heroes celebrating their latest victory. She wishes them 'Bon appétit!'... as the panel moving to the side reveals a stick of dynamite inside the stuffed turkey!

quote:

Look:
Woman, White, bright eyes, garish costume, fashionable clothing

Abilities
Time control, luck manipulation

Labels
Freak 0
Danger -1
Trouble +1
Superior 0
Menace +3

Assets
Safehouses, a suitcase of cash

Moves

Known Unknown
Whenever someone tries to pierce your mask, provoke you or tell you who you are or how the world works, roll +Menace. On a hit, they take -2 to their roll, if applicable. On a 10+, choose two. On a 7-9, choose one, and you open yourself to retribution, suspicion, or judgment.
take Influence over them
clear a condition
clear their Influence on you.

Fate is a Fickle Mistress
Whenever you roll a 6 or 9, you may mark a condition to take +1 on the roll. Whenever you roll a 7 or a 10, you may choose to take -1 on the roll.

Agenda
You’re always working towards some secret Agenda, that may not always be at odds with your peers, but certainly isn’t their focus. After a Caper has been decided on, write down a single line agenda, like “get the files to Home Office” or “give Statesman a kiss”. It can really be anything, but it’s best if it’s something that is sideways to what the alliance is getting at with the Caper. Once you’ve written it down, give it to the MC in secret. You may take +1 to any roll to pursue your Agenda (your call), though you want to be careful not to overplay your hand. At any time during a Caper, if one of your peers accuses you of having a secret agenda, ask them what they think it is. You can admit it, or deny it, your choice. The MC will not reveal the true Agenda until later.

At the end of a Caper, the truth eventually comes out, and the MC reveals your Agenda. Anyone who guessed correctly (MC’s call) gains Influence on you. If you went along with a spurious and incorrect accusation, instead you take Influence on them. If anyone guessed correctly at all, you mark Curses!

Plan Moves
When you meddle in the plots of others… ask them if they’ll trust you, just this once. If they give you a chance, they take +1 forward and give you Influence on them. If they deny you this chance, mark a condition and Curses!

When others meddle in your plots… decide if they actually know something or if they are following smoke and mirrors. If they actually know something, add a Plan point to the pool. If they are following smoke and mirrors, shift Menace up and any other label down.

When you stop to gloat about your master plan… reveal and explain how your target was actually working with you all along. Roll +Trouble. On a 10+, this is actually true. Add a Plan point to the pool, and they are now no longer a threat. On a 7-9, this is a bluff, and they choose one.
They deny it ardently. They make themselves vulnerable in the process.
They play along, but turn the tables with the story. They give you Influence on them, but also take Influence on you.
They are confused. They mark a condition.

Moment of Triumph
For just a moment, they trust you. For a moment, whatever you say, people take at face value. You can lie to anyone, you can sell ice to an Eskimo, you can sell real estate on Earth to Galactus. You are the master manipulator, and don’t have to bother with the whole worrying about gaining trust. Given this gift, of course, you squander it and abuse it, so when your deceit becomes obvious to all, it’s hard to say if anyone can trust you again.

During our first caper…
Someone got some very dangerous information that they could use on us. Who holds this information, and what kind of information is it?

Relationships
You want to earn the genuine trust of ___________________ .
You and ___________________ used to be an item. It didn’t end well.

Influence
You leave broken hearts and broken glass wherever you go, but you care more than you’d ever let on. Give three of your peers Influence on you.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Silver sits in a chair, impatiently tapping, swinging her legs around, and other assorted things to alleviate her boredom. When she came here, hitching a ride on Shadowcloak's teleport powers, she certainly did not expect to be waiting this long.Doctor's appointments go by faster than this, she mused.

At the very least Shadowcloak gave her advice. A lot of advice, actually. Almost like he cares. How sweet.

Finally, someone arrives to break the awkward silence in the waiting room, which only happened because people kind of ran out of things to say to each othe within an hour or two. It's... uhm... quite the curious sight, that's for sure!

"Who are you?"

"I'm Silver. Not much else to say. Ran with Shadowcloak for a bit."

"What can the Association do for you?"

"Well, we can start with what you advertise with. You know, schooling, legal security, whatever. I don't care about much else - maybe a roof over my head and some food when things go down the drain, I guess."

"What can you do for the Association?"

"I can mess with time. Surely an organization of this caliber can find lots of uses for that."

Last but not least, Counter-Culture speaks up:

"Hey, I know it's pretty boring sometimes. You feel like there's something missing to it all, and that nobody really gets it. I get it, girl. I get you. You know, it's a crazy topsy-turvy world, and hard to figure out. Maybe if you need some help, look at it a different way... Just gotta share, you know? Give a little to get a little."

Silver perks up at the question, and the gears in her head begin to turn. Has to be believable, right?

"Ah, but of course. As expected, a villain of your caliber would see through my playful facade! Of course I actually have a motivation behind my actions. It's power. And I know just how to go about it... All I need to do is kidnap the seven richest people in Valley City, replace them with body doubles and have all the money redirected my off-shore accounts! It's simplicity itself! Money, after all, is power...

Freak Roll: 2d6+0 8

Trying out the limits of ones power is always interesting. For this reason, Silver was very eager to start off with it.

A large array of tests later, it was figured out that it works in a roughly 20-meter radius around Silver, in which she can alter the flow of time selectively, even slowing down one object while speeding up another, freezing an object or person completely in time, or even reversing what just happened a few seconds ago. Curiously, even the perception of time can be sped up - great for road trips or boring meetings!

So, of course, she ended up trying to impress them by writing a message in dropped marbles that then jumped back into the air.

... It might have looked cool, if she didn't get bored and stopped halfway through. Perhaps, Silver's lack of an attention span is one of her greater if not her greatest weaknesses.

Silver is entirely unaware her ridiculous luck is actually a secondary power of hers. It works by sucking out the luck of others nearby (superpowered people are less affected, but not entirely immune to this.)

Danger Roll: 2d6-1 3

Silver walked in to the room, smiling smugly as usual. Surely, there aren't a lot of superpowers that can beat control over time itself, right? All she had to do was get into range to freeze him in time and it's over. Hero opponent was called Raymancer. Surely, that means he can shoot laser beams and whatever, but what does it matter? Should be easy enough to dodge.

Teleporting away is cheating. Of that, Silver was convinced. Not that it helped, because she was kind of downed on the ground, thanks to Raymancers stun beam from behind. Of course, it would have been nicer if they didn't constantly have platforms raise and lower themselves to make it even more confusing. It probably wouldn't have made a bloody difference, anyway.

Trouble Roll: 2d6+1 7

Her good mood gone thanks to the danger room, she moved on... to an obstacle course? With teams? Ugh.

The fact there was this stuck-up bitch did not help at all. She claimed to be a fairy princess or whatever. Well, Silver didn't see any tiny wings on there so she's probably just delusional. But goddamn, is she full of herself. Constantly calling herself perfect and whatever. Turns out, she wasn't! Perfect people don't fall into pit-traps. ... Of course, Silver may have re-winded her above said pitfall after she jumped, but if she was perfect she would have avoided that.

Right before the next pit, she stopped just to see someone fall of the ceiling and into the very same hole. On closer inspection, another one of these smug idiots sabotaged him. After recovering from her laughing fit (finger pointing included), she helped the poor guy out of the hole, before moving on.

She was, of course, intensely amused by watching said smug idiot fall into two traps one after another, and made sure to cackle as loudly as possible at him. ... Only to fall into the same hole as him. So, turns out, there was a time normalizer field in that area... and Silver might have depended on her acceleration to clear the distance. Whoops.

Superior Roll: 2d6+0 7

Silver sighed. She got into villainy to avoid exactly this crap. Well, she h oped it would be an one-time thing. There's an awful lot of things she quite frankly had no idea about! Going from worst to best, it'd be Sinister Science, Torturous Thinking, Maniacal Maths and Hardcore History. Awful lot of the later two was covered in the borefest of the studies she had to do instead of having a childhood!. Well, that, and her hobbies: Superheroes. Well, her ex-hobby.

'Why are gangs so much more prevalent than they were 100 years ago?'. The answer is... deceptively simple. See, not all superpowered people become heroes, or even supervillains. Some do some more down to earth things, like joining gangs, the mob, or whatever. But, unlike mundane gangs, gangs with superpowered people are so much harder to actually crack down on. What with being able to punch out an army of cops, most of the time.

Anyway... Silver got irritated. These Sinister Science questions ate up most of her time. How would someone like Silver know how planes of reality work? This jackass over there, however, seemed pretty smug about it. Perhaps, if she accelerated herself, but only moved her eyes... get a nice long look at his answers from just a glance... Done! Easy...-ish. She sure hope nobody noticed. Other than Madame Mode, of course.

Moving on... This one smells like a trick question. 'Why is going back in time to kill your grandmother a bad idea?'

Uh... Because the planet will have moved, your relative position in space will be different and you'd space yourself? Probably? Sounds good enough.

And last, essay on what it means to be a villain? "Meh, too much effort", she thought. Her essay:

Essay posted:

Going against the rules. Speaking about which, I'm too lazy to do this. And I'm not even sorry about it.

;) [Authors note: The smiley is drawn detailed enough to suggest it took more time to draw than to write the three sentences preceding it...]

Menace Roll: 2d6+3 9

Silver takes one look around the room, and instantly falls in love with the... interesting aesthetic of it. "Glad to see not everyone feels pushed to do things a certain way. Feels... relatable, in a way", she noted.

Picking a bunch of beanbags, and then lying down on them, Silver jokingly references the way you'd lie down talking to a psychiatrist doing so.

"You know, I've realized something. I'm not like the others. Why? I can't fail. My goal isn't money, fame, or power. All of these things? They can elude your grasp. Slide right between the cracks between your fingers. But for me? Those things are merely a bonus. Maybe I just got ruined by my own father too hard, but none of these really matter to me anymore. All I need is a place to stay, some food and clothes, really."

Counter-Culture continues to remain silent, as if waiting for her to continue.

"What, you want more? Hah. I'll charge premium for that. Alright. I guess I have... trust issues. Nah, that's not quite it. I just feel like I can't properly relate to people. Like, I get them well enough, most of the time. But there's just not much in the way of empathy. I know it's kind of part of being a villain, but you know the saying 'even bad guys have loved ones', right? I... don't.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 19, 2016

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Silver smirks as Madame Mode enters the room with a stack of paper in her hand.

quote:

Silver: "I have a stack about six inches of complaints against your behavior, little miss... I like that. A team needs a little trouble to keep them on their toes, and maybe make sure they are not taking themselves too seriously. When all the chips are down there, and when the act is played out, what's left to you when you've betrayed them one too many times? What is it really that is going to keep you in their graces, if already they can't stand you?"

"Ooh, can I have those? Probably going to frame them. I mean, it's not like you guys are gonna anything about it. Hah, what's left to me? Fat stacks of money, that's what. You know why. And with that money, and my powers. I'll bail them out. Make them owe me. Make them dependent. They'll be boiling with anger, but unable to do a thing about it. Oh, it's gonna be great.

quote:

Describe one of the benefits provided by your M.A.D.D. membership beyond the standard.

Wuuuh--? Sorry, stopped paying attention halfway through. Legal talk is booring. Something about a fake civilian identity? And a legal guardian and bla bla bla. But hey, at least I know what to name myself! Whitney Whateley. ... What? You're saying that's awfully familiar? I have no idea what you're talking about. :angel:

Can't wait for Centipede to find this one out.

Also I got myself special access to high-end equipment. See, time control is really awesome. Buuut if someone can deal with it I'm kind of as tough as a normal person which isn't the greatest. So I might as well take some goodies with me. You know, Smoke bombs, tasers, knives... all that good stuff.

quote:

Describe one critical weakness of your character, or a piece of blackmail that could truly and materially stop you in your tracks.

Me simply hands him the letter from her father. "This should do, yes? Don't worry, I already answered it.

quote:

Describe the form your contract takes.

A standard contract. Nothing fancy. Looks nice, and is easy to burn in a hurry, which is the more important part.

quote:

Describe how your character unwinds over their summer at MurderDome.

Silver sits on a random bench, stretching her legs out onto the table, because obviously. In her hands are the complaint files from Madame Mode. She reads them with glee. "Hah, check these out. 'Was mean to me.' 'Stole my phone'... Oh, hey, that's Nadia. 'Stuck a kick me sign onto my back'. 'Tried to flush me down the toilet.' Oh, that's the squirrel. Gaah, turns out reading it matter of fact is really boring. Wanna go party?"

quote:

Silver: Everything is going great, you’re having fun, and making a nuisance of yourself, when Counter-Culture tells you that he has a letter. It’s a letter from your father. You sometimes get these. They often are necessary for you because they let you get access to daddy’s bank accounts if you perform some small token action or make yourself known in some way. But this time, after everything that you experienced, this new lease… Are you going to open up that letter? If you do, what does it say? What does he want from you? And how does it make you feel?

'Oh, come the gently caress on. How the gently caress did he get a letter HERE!? Of all the places!? Ugh. Fine.' Against her urges, she decides to read the letter.

Letter (The one handed to Lord Playfair) posted:

Hello, Priscilla.

I just wanted to say... I miss you. I... didn't realize it was that bad. That you wanted more freedom this badly. I... I won't try to force you to come back. Just... call me from time to time, okay? Or write. Attached is some bank account data for you to use if you need money. And... if you ever want to come home, just do so. I... I'm not going to be mad.

Stay safe.

Love, Dad.

... for a moment, Silver lost her trademark grin.

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 27, 2016

• Locked thread