Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Hogge Wild posted:

well, you are called a racist if you try to stop that kind of stuff

no but that would be colonialism which is bad

also we have established that colonialism causes all these rear end backwards traditions, which colonialist monetary aid then fails to stop because doing so would be colonialist

its all white peoples fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What's wrong with cannibalism per se

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

In this case, it spreads crazy brain diseases

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons in Papua New Guinea face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Male same-sex sexual activity is prohibited by Section 210 of the Papua New Guinea Penal Code. Those caught engaging in anal sex can get punished with up to fourteen years imprisonment. Other same-sex sexual acts can be punished with up to three years imprisonment.[1] Papua New Guinea has a traditional Christian society.[2] In 2011, the government informed the United Nations that it will not decriminalise homosexuality.[3]

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

In this case, it spreads crazy brain diseases

So can eating beef if the production chain is compromised.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Pick posted:

per se, nothing

as long as there are no murders involved or you don't get some hosed up disease

also i really like to use the words per se because perse means arse in my native tongue

persepolis was also a funny movie

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pick posted:

So can eating beef if the production chain is compromised.

BSE (Mad Cow)-tainted beef comes from cows that were fed the remains of other cows. People get CJD (the human version) when they eat that beef.

Cannibalism spreads crazy brain diseases.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In no sense is cannibalism required or inherent, prion diseases spread by organisms consuming those prions (natch). If pigs with trichinosis (parasite) and humans did a trade-off on eating one another's corpses that would spread just as well, even though trich is generally associated with pigs eating the infested flesh of other pigs.

Pick fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 15, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

In no sense is cannibalism required or inherent, prion diseases spread by organisms consuming those prions (natch). If pigs with trichinosis (parasite) and humans did a one-off on eating one another's corpses that would spread just as well, even though trich is generally associated with pigs eating the infested flesh of other pigs.

Islam and Judaism both banned eating pigs

checkmate

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

The Island of Dr. Nauru

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

Islam and Judaism both banned eating pigs

checkmate

Trich is also common in bears.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Pick posted:

if you're telling me I shouldn't have bear in my mouth I'm gonna have to change my plans for this evening

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Pick posted:

I've heard of bears doing tricks but this is ridiculous

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Pick posted:

In no sense is cannibalism required or inherent, prion diseases spread by organisms consuming those prions (natch). If pigs with trichinosis (parasite) and humans did a trade-off on eating one another's corpses that would spread just as well, even though trich is generally associated with pigs eating the infested flesh of other pigs.

You're getting completely off the original point which was that in the case mentioned, the spread of Kuru is specifically linked to cannibalism in the mentioned tribe

And I didn't say it was required or inherent, I just said that in addition to the well-documented cases of Kuru being endemic in a population known for cannibalism, BSE is also well-known to spread when cows are fed other cows. As in, the number one accepted form of controlling BSE outbreaks is "don't feed cows meat and bone meal" which you would think would be pretty obvious considering cows are obligate herbivores

Cannibalism spreads crazy brain diseases

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm gonna say what we're all thinking. Pick is sensitive about this subject because she regularly eats human meat.

Pick is an active cannibal.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

I'm gonna say what we're all thinking. Pick is sensitive about this subject because she regularly eats human meat.

:eyepop:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

boom boom boom posted:

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) persons in Papua New Guinea face legal challenges not experienced by non-LGBT residents. Male same-sex sexual activity is prohibited by Section 210 of the Papua New Guinea Penal Code. Those caught engaging in anal sex can get punished with up to fourteen years imprisonment. Other same-sex sexual acts can be punished with up to three years imprisonment.[1] Papua New Guinea has a traditional Christian society.[2] In 2011, the government informed the United Nations that it will not decriminalise homosexuality.[3]

So no punishment for chick on chick, sweet.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

boom boom boom posted:

Not regularly

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten

Darth123123 posted:

So no punishment for chick on chick, sweet.

In countries like this it's assumed there's no such thing, why make laws.

Oh, but there's an exception, this is ok, just fine:

https://sexual-communication.wikispaces.com/Sambian+Tribal+Sexual+Ritual

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

meselfs posted:

ffs

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

BeefThief posted:

this place is literally a shithole. and theyre running out of poo poo.

you cant make this poo poo up (you can only slowly accumulate it over thousands of years)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Plucky Brit posted:

I'm all for understanding cultural differences up to a point, but there are some which are hosed up by any reasonable metric and shouldn't be tolerated.

It would be useful to get an agreement on whether cultural relativism applies for the following rich and ancient traditions:

Laws placing women as second class citizens
Cannibalism
Having sex with 12 year olds
FGM
Slavery
Sati

Good grief take a gander at this bigot

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes
Could some other country possibly step in to help these people out or should we just let them be until they return to the ocean in like 10 years?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Blizzy_Cow posted:

Could some other country possibly step in to help these people out or should we just let them be until they return to the ocean in like 10 years?

From memory they already receive aid from multiple countries.

Short of the UAE or someone deciding to build them an artificial island, the residents will eventually become refugees themselves and have to be relocated at some point - gently caress knows where and who will pay for it. I suspect many will want to go to other struggling islands, further straining resources in those places.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Lolie posted:

From memory they already receive aid from multiple countries.

Short of the UAE or someone deciding to build them an artificial island, the residents will eventually become refugees themselves and have to be relocated at some point - gently caress knows where and who will pay for it. I suspect many will want to go to other struggling islands, further straining resources in those places.

Didn't all those manmade islands in the UAE sink back into the water after like a year anyway?

e: apparently not, one of them is sinking but the government denies it. The environmental impact of them has been oil spill-level disastrous though

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 15, 2016

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

meselfs posted:

So, this is basically just like Larsmo, Finland, then?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

meselfs posted:

That's a lot of seman drinking

ZombieJesus
Feb 26, 2005

He died for your sins, he rose for your BRAINS
That tribe REALLY loves to suck cock

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

drunk asian neighbor posted:

Didn't all those manmade islands in the UAE sink back into the water after like a year anyway?

e: apparently not, one of them is sinking but the government denies it. The environmental impact of them has been oil spill-level disastrous though

There are artificial islands throughout the world which have been around for a long time. I just can't see any nation paying to build one for the people of Nauru unless it's done as an ostentatious display of wealth.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

autoaim.cfg posted:

p. much yeah, that whole north-western coast is an innsmouth filled with inbred pedocultists

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Hogge Wild posted:

p. much yeah, that whole north-western coast is an innsmouth filled with inbred pedocultists

That doesn't show up on Larmos wikipedia page

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

boom boom boom posted:

That doesn't show up on Larmos wikipedia page

makes u think...

even the finnish pm who's from that area is a member in a pedocult

but anyway, sorry for the derail, i'll stop, if you want to discuss finnish cultists, go to the dd finpol thread

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laestadianism

You wanna gently caress some nice tight 11 year olds? North-west coast of Finland will do for ya!
The religious north up there got some good ol' "let's not speak of this to anyone outside our group" goin' on.

It's like the stereotypical "Catholic Priests" fiddling kids. Except it's protestant. gently caress'em.
I loathe religious people and the Laestadians, doubly so!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

autoaim.cfg posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laestadianism

You wanna gently caress some nice tight 11 year olds? North-west coast of Finland will do for ya!
The religious north up there got some good ol' "let's not speak of this to anyone outside our group" goin' on.

It's like the stereotypical "Catholic Priests" fiddling kids. Except it's protestant. gently caress'em.
I loathe religious people and the Laestadians, doubly so!

that wikipedia page doesn't mention child loving either

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Man, I have no idea what ur talking about this deep into the thread, but there is my idea to Get Nauru Back on Track.

You build a bunch of corridors out in the middle of the island in the shape of Wolfenstein 3D maps and then let tourists go through them w/ saiga shotguns shooting wild dogs (maybe refugees?? too)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Isn't Kuru caused by eating brains? If they stopped doing that they probably wouldn't have any issues.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

meselfs posted:

Apparently all the research into this tribe comes from one researcher?

I am a little bit skeptical of cultural anthropology that comes from one person's observations.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

quote:

The next step in the initiation is to catch an enemy tribes female and kill and enemy tribes warrior. The young bachelor must ingest the enemy’s semen because it is seen to strengthen the warrior and slow the dying process.

so like, one last blowjob before you kill the guy? what's that like, I wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

autoaim.cfg posted:

Whoa, whoa, let's not be drastic here, Nauru at least has contact with the outside world.

• Locked thread