Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm disappointed that Cutter doesn't show up or is mentioned which is kind of weird

Welp this is what me buying it or not hinged on so I guess I'll be getting it when it goes cheap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Lost Legacy Ending Spoilers: I didn't play 3 but I'm glad they finally got the treasure and got to keep it unlike 1,2, and 4. Sam freaking out that they're selling it to probably the lowest paying buyer was great

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm disappointed that Cutter doesn't show up or is mentioned which is kind of weird

Yeah, I would have loved that. Apparently Graham McTavish is in a lot of stuff these days though, so I imagine scheduling was an issue. He was originally supposed to be in 4 and did some work for it so it's not like they forgot about the character.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have never been so annoyed by how much you stick to poo poo than I am in LL. Like, it's always been an annoyance in UC but gently caress, there seriously needs to be a button to hold that makes it so you don't magnetize to the nearest cover while dodging. Dodging is pretty much the only way to not get instantly killed on hard, but ironically it's also the cause of pretty much all of my deaths because the game has a mind of its own. "Exposed cover surrounded by enemies? Sure let's just park right here and die instead of evading"

Also once Sam comes into the picture it's like I'm always fighting over whatever little cover there is. Argh.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 26, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The context sensitive stuff has always been the worst part of UC, sure I would like to pick up some ammo in the middle of a fight instead of reloading (or vice versa) and I hope they do something about it in 5, should it ever happen.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm not too far into the story yet but it's cool that they released this at the £25 mark. They could easily have marketed and sold it as a £40+ game. Hell there are a lot of full price narrative games that are shorter and lighter than this.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Just beat Lost Legacy, completely enjoyed it, really had a great time with it, no complaints, it's a fun romp. I played on Hard and found the gunfights really enjoyable and focused, felt it had some of the best puzzles of the series, writing top notch as to be expected from a Naughty Dog game at this point.

The two take-aways for me were that it shows Uncharted as a formula and franchise has legs beyond Nathan Drake, and also that Naughty Dog can pull off semi open-world sections in a way that doesn't feel like a dull grind. I don't think I would want a "full open-world" game as some have been calling them for them to make, I think their bread-and-butter is and should continue to be linear games, but I hope they keep doing more semi-open sections like the one early in the game here.

Lakbay posted:

Lost Legacy Ending Spoilers: I didn't play 3 but I'm glad they finally got the treasure and got to keep it unlike 1,2, and 4. Sam freaking out that they're selling it to probably the lowest paying buyer was great

Yeah, they also don't "get" or keep the treasure in Uncharted 3. By the way, I hope you do intend to go back and play U3 one day, like most people I probably don't like it as much as 2 or 4 but it has some excellent things going for it. It has kind of a slower pace and different tone than the other games, it's a cool thing.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm very late to the party, but I finally made my way through Uncharted 4.

And it was.... good, I guess? As an emotional capper to the series, naughty dog delivered.

The pacing sagged, and I'm surprised at just how many "walk around and look at stuff" sequences there are. I love me some walking simulators (like the liberal artsy dipshit that I am), but there are some long, long stretches where I felt like the rhythm was off.

Most crucially though, I really didn't care for Sam. I get his narrative and thematic purpose, but the vast majority of the game relies upon his personality when exploring levels. And he's basically just... another Nathan Drake. Same sense of humor, with nowhere near the inherent tension or fun that the series is known for.

The sequences with Elena towards the last quarter do a lot to redeem the title, with their banter and relationship on full display. Suddenly the Uncharted I loved was back, sparked back to life. But until you get there, literally 90% of the game is you dicking around with Sam.

Maybe its because I don't have siblings, but their brother relationship just did nothing for me. Am I alone in this?

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm very late to the party, but I finally made my way through Uncharted 4.

And it was.... good, I guess? As an emotional capper to the series, naughty dog delivered.

The pacing sagged, and I'm surprised at just how many "walk around and look at stuff" sequences there are. I love me some walking simulators (like the liberal artsy dipshit that I am), but there are some long, long stretches where I felt like the rhythm was off.

Most crucially though, I really didn't care for Sam. I get his narrative and thematic purpose, but the vast majority of the game relies upon his personality when exploring levels. And he's basically just... another Nathan Drake. Same sense of humor, with nowhere near the inherent tension or fun that the series is known for.

The sequences with Elena towards the last quarter do a lot to redeem the title, with their banter and relationship on full display. Suddenly the Uncharted I loved was back, sparked back to life. But until you get there, literally 90% of the game is you dicking around with Sam.

Maybe its because I don't have siblings, but their brother relationship just did nothing for me. Am I alone in this?

Nah. I agree. Would've been better had Sam been the bad guy.*

*i am in no way condoning a bad guy twist. Just seemed like he would have made a better adversary.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I think that Troy Baker did an incredible job with the voice acting, and that Sam as a character is actually pretty interesting, but retconning him into the mythology of the series was always going to be a hard sell.

UC4's story is actually pretty interesting in the abstract, especially the political implications of what the devs are getting at in New Devon, but its character interactions are quite a bit weaker than UC2 and especially UC3, which still has the most genuine emotional cuts of the series.

Overall, UC4's attempt to 'grow up' sort of fell flat to me and didn't resonate as much as similar attempts in UC3. The game is an astonishing technical achievement, to be sure, but a bit of a step back for Naughty Dog (forever in the shadow of tlou) in terms its narrative, and is the Uncharted game I'm least likely to return to down the road.

edit; I think they also sort of ruined the original appeal of the multiplayer from UC2 when they made it into a crossover COD/MOBA. gently caress that noise.

I will be downright pissed if they go 'bigger-is-better' for TLoU 2's multiplayer.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 29, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I disagree U4 easily has the best story

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Arist posted:

I disagree U4 easily has the best story

I disagree, it easily doesn't.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Funny enough, the first trailer for UC4 when Amy Hennig was still at the studio, it sounded like Sam was going to be an antagonist for Drake. I liked 4 a whole lot but its tone just didn't jive with me in a way the first three games' did. Lost Legacy was a more turn to form for me, but still didn't quite capture the Indiana Jones pulp vibes from the first 3 games. Pacing-wise, Lost Legacy was perfect. On par with 2.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Different strokes for different folks, but I liked it a lot more that Sam clearly struggled with some jealousy of Nate and resentment for being locked away while his brother had all those adventures, but at the same time he still loved Nate and wanted to recapture some of that last time through the Avery quest. It was more nuanced and felt more human than (potentially) "you left me for dead so I hate you now."

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
the last third (fourth?) when Nate is with Elena is easily my favourite part of the whole series and UC4 is probably my favourite as a whole, even if I don't particularly care for Sam. I do wish that Elena had a slightly larger/more active role in the series as a whole (or that, like TLoU, you got to play as her for a little while since Nate was incapacitated) though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Here are some pics I took during the story mode.

Spoilers for setpieces and stuff.
http://imgur.com/a/Azn0o

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The tone, pacing and story in 4 were my favorite. I wouldn't fault someone for thinking it dragged, but I love the long walky talky segments. Easily the best uncharted game for me.

Lost Legacy should be a big winner for people who liked the first 3 games more than 4. it's basically the first 3 games with the graphics and more open ended gameplay of UC4.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm gonna get Lost Legacy eventually but man I really feel like it should be $10 cheaper if you own UC4 already :mad:

I guess the lesson is "buy the season pass for TLOU 2"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Never buy season passes, especially from Naught Dog. On two occasions they've taken a year to get the content out. You're basically just funding development of the game at that point.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I bought the season pass (well, the explorer's pass or whatever it was called) a year in advance, assuming I'd enjoy whatever the DLC turned out to be. I loved it and got it much cheaper than buying separately. Worked out pretty well for me. :smuggo:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The two take-aways for me were that it shows Uncharted as a formula and franchise has legs beyond Nathan Drake, and also that Naughty Dog can pull off semi open-world sections in a way that doesn't feel like a dull grind. I don't think I would want a "full open-world" game as some have been calling them for them to make, I think their bread-and-butter is and should continue to be linear games, but I hope they keep doing more semi-open sections like the one early in the game here.
Eh even though they are ancient games I thought ND did pretty well with open world games with the Jak and Daxter sequels

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

effervescible posted:

I bought the season pass (well, the explorer's pass or whatever it was called) a year in advance, assuming I'd enjoy whatever the DLC turned out to be. I loved it and got it much cheaper than buying separately. Worked out pretty well for me. :smuggo:

Same, the "deluxe" edition of UC4 was like NZ$10 more than the standard one, and Lost legacy is $60 in shops/PSN store here. It's like they gave me a good game, and $50. :smuggo:

achillesforever6 posted:

Eh even though they are ancient games I thought ND did pretty well with open world games with the Jak and Daxter sequels

One day I'll finish Jak 2, but ugh there's just too much tedious poo poo, and it's not fun like the PS2 era GTAs

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 30, 2017

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Chalupa Joe posted:

One day I'll finish Jak 2, but ugh there's just too much tedious poo poo, and it's not fun like the PS2 era GTAs

my advice for Jak 2 would be to ignore everything that isn't the main story, because the side quests aren't interesting. otherwise the worst sin of Jak 2 is its abysmal checkpointing, but it's a pretty decent game overall, if not as good as the first.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Finished Lost Legacy. Loved Uncharted 4, enjoyed Chloe & Nadine's Excellent Adventure as well.

It's been just enough time to want some more in the series. I think the emotional highs (both in the story beats and the action set pieces) hit me harder in UC4, but that isn't a bad thing because it's a long and excellent game (and I can identify more since I have a brother). Not sure anything in the series will ever beat (late UC4) the crumbling tower, but I like the freedom of exploration in Lost Legacy and the (early-mid) Queen's Ruby is an inspired design choice. The interactions felt a little disconnected at the start, but they got better over time. May have been intentional, or just a quirk of development. The visuals are, as usual, ridiculously good, and the gameplay was fun.

Hope this sells well and we keep getting more games like this. For the cost I think the length of the game is good (especially with all the extras), but I'd happily pay full price for a UC4-length game.

*edit - also the choice in setting is great! India rules.

isk fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 1, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

UC4 is easily my favourite of the series, but mostly because I really, really love the way they handled the Libertalia/New Devon stuff. It's the only game that made me genuinely feel like I was exploring and unravelling the history of a lost location. As you go through the locations you actively follow the story of Avery and the other pirate captains, from beginning to grisly end. The plot of the game becomes as much about them as it is about the Drake crew.

As much as I love the rest of the series (Lost Legacy included), they do a lot less to make the history and story of these undiscovered locales interesting.

The Hoysala lore in Lost Legacy is certainly a step up from the original trilogy, but the locations still don't feel lived in or steeped in their own stories the same way the locations in UC4 do.

What The Lost Legacy has taught me is that as formulaic as this series is, it'll be a long time before I get sick of it. I must have seen Nate and Nadine jump to catch something only for it to crumble and slip down to the ledge below a million times, and I still find it fun. Whether the series carries on with Sam, Nadine or babby Drake I'll keep lapping it up.

Not to say I don't want to see Naughty Dog move on to something new though. I don't think TLoU needs to be a full blown series (I don't even agree that a sequel was necessary, as much as I adore the original). I can't wait to see what they come up with next.

stev fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 3, 2017

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I totally agree and that's a good point. It's definitely the only UC title that really makes you feel engaged with the history of what you are looking for to a degree that it feels like an important part of the story.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The Libertalia/New Devon thing is definitely the most interesting part of the UC4 story, which is a shame because they spend so much time dicking around in other matters for most of the game. It's also the only time a UC story has latched onto narrative with hidden depth, with the devs basically telling a story about the overall mindset and future dissolution of American empire in the background of what is apparently a swashbuckling treasure hunt.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Just finished Lost legacy. Game owned. I really enjoyed the open world-ish area and the train segment was up there with best Uncharted set pieces, even if it was a bigger revisit of the Uncharted 2 train section. Jumping from the train to a 4x4 and then back again as the car explodes was great.

Also, any future Uncharted games should star a slightly older Meenu, with Chloe as her Sully. She was great and the Mid-credits scene made me laugh really hard.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Aw man why'd they get rid of the grenade throwback mechanic in UC4, I loved that.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

snoremac posted:

Aw man why'd they get rid of the grenade throwback mechanic in UC4, I loved that.

Seriously, one of my absolute biggest knocks against UC4, and that together with its dawdling narrative make it way less fun to replay than UC3.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am confident I have killed myself with the grenade toss mechanic more than once because Drake picked it up and chucked it directly at the wall I was hiding behind, which is a terrible flaw in the system, but hilarious!

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 10, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've killed myself because he decided to pick up some ammo instead of tossing the grenade back.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Multitasking buttons has always been my biggest annoyance in naughty dog games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I've killed myself because he decided to pick up some ammo instead of tossing the grenade back.

Different button prompt logos tho

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Or reloaded my gun or stuck to cover or whatever else the toss grenade back button does

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The think that made me straight up lose my poo poo, was in the last of us multiplayer, triangle did everything. Revive, pick up items, execute, maybe something else. So, your teammate and an enemy would KO each other, and there would be two guys crawling around at your feet. I'd go in to revive my buddy and instead it would trigger an execute, leaving me totally vulnerable, and bam, I'm dead and my teammate is dead, all because naughty dog can't give functions their own loving buttons.

Then in Uncharted it was always trying to roll away form someone and sticking to exposed cover then getting murdered because its the same drat button.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

snoremac posted:

It was too overpowered and made grenades barely a threat. In UC4 and LL grenades effectively have to force you your cover.

I'll admit I kept trying to figure out what the button to it was for a while in UC4 though before realising it was gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah I saw the grenades in UC4 as a way to force you to be mobile. trying to camp behind cover will get you dead in about 10 seconds.

• Locked thread