Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
I used to believe that people who didn't treat homeless people nicely were bigots until I moved to a major city and now I have to tell schizophrenics and crackheads to gently caress off a lot.

I also used to toe the party line hardcore in D&D until I realized I was constantly being challenged to defend indefensible positions and die on stupid hills. It was then that I came to embrace sweet lady Nihilism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

One time a homeless guy asked my girlfriend and I for money, I ignored him but she pulled out a granola bar she had and tried to give it to him. He sneered and said gently caress you bitch!

A valuable lesson was learned that day.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
that i was special :(

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Commie NedFlanders posted:

I'm sorry but you're wrong dude, you're obviously basing this off of some game of telephone style 3rd hand BS, if you read Freud and post-Freudian theorists it actually makes perfect sense and is totally observable in every day occurrences

:lol:

story checks out though everyone I meet it's like "you wanna gently caress your mom it's so obvious"

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Until 19 I believed most "facts" my parents had told me. It started to fall apart real fast thanks to finding SA, but it shattered when a friend told me hydro electric power from the Niagara river didn't power all of new England.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Yeah man for sure, I've got some great books I'll need to gather to assist but I would to do some effort posts to demystify the whole Oedipus thing, it's really the Big Idea in psychoanalysis and the most poorly understood in popular culture.

It may take a few days since I'm a working man and all but I'll try to pin a reminder or something to do this, especially if anyone else is interested

I would actually love to read that.

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot
It's not that Freud was wrong about everything ever I mean he founded psychology but taking all of his writings seriously as canon is like ignoring everything we know about how evolution works and sticking to Darwin's original writings

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought I had a big weiner then I saw ops moms. :chanpop:

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

when i was a kid i used to believe the adult world was one of superior motivations and ideals but no it's just grade school with bigger toys

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

mdm posted:

It's not that Freud was wrong about everything ever I mean he founded psychology but taking all of his writings seriously as canon is like ignoring everything we know about how evolution works and sticking to Darwin's original writings

I agree, I prefers Klein and Lacan but there's no psychoanalysis without Freud like no modern biology without Darwin

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

I agree, I prefers Klein and Lacan but there's no psychoanalysis without Freud like no modern biology without Darwin

At least biology is a real science

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mdm posted:

At least biology is a real science

But biology is just chemistry and chemistry is just physics. :science:

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

yes, real sciences

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

and psychology is just biology

it's physics all the way down

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

VectorSigma posted:

you're thinking of neurobiology which is not really psychology

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

VectorSigma posted:

this is true if you keep going and going down the logic hole, however, its pretty well known a lot of psychology is just made up theories based on what some person thought up that makes sense that one time. Even the more concrete foundations of psychology are poorly understood (specifically the chemistry). In 50 years a lot of what is "fact" today will be laughable, which you can't really say about a lot of the hard sciences - when theyre proven wrong its more or less a revision of "why" rather than what's observable.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

mdm posted:

you're thinking of neurobiology which is not really psychology

psychology is sorta the hardware abstraction layer to neurobiology's real mode driver

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Claverjoe posted:

Upon a re-read of what I wrote, yeah that was pretty poo poo of me.

That goons could be introspective and apologize.

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Kuato posted:

Salt makes things cool and pepper makes things hot. Just learned this morning this is not the case

umm actually bud you were 100% right before

why do you think they put salt on meat back when ice was hard to make without the aid of witches and frigidaires? even today you can buy a bag of salty meat that tastes great even though it's been sittin on a shelf at seven eleven all month. when you open the bag spices like teriyaki and chipotle (forms of pepper) coat the salty meat making it warm and scrumptious again, tho still cool enough that you can taste the salt.

heck salt is so cold, it freezes ice: take a lil ice cube and lay the end of a string atop the cube and sprinkle a lil pinchlet of salt upon them, the string will freeze to the ice and you can grab the other end of the string and drag the ice cube around the table like a cold lil pupp on a leash :3:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
know how if you leave ice tray in the freezer too long the ice gets tiny and eventually vanishes? see also: salt on your icy driveway/public road

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mdm posted:

:lol:

story checks out though everyone I meet it's like "you wanna gently caress your mom it's so obvious"

metaphorically

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I wanna gently caress my mother metaphorically

KomodoWagon
May 10, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Thank god for modern psychology or every time I talk to a blind person I'd believe they were real human beings and not unconscious objects with no sense of self

Because no mirrors

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
used to belief 9/11 was done by Islam. IN fact it was the government all along

also if any of you didn't know that, well, now you're in for a fact

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Used to think that UN makes a difference. Then they watched NATO bomb people on Christmas chillin in their blue helmets.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

OctoberBlues posted:

One time a homeless guy asked my girlfriend and I for money, I ignored him but she pulled out a granola bar she had and tried to give it to him. He sneered and said gently caress you bitch!

A valuable lesson was learned that day.

he wanted drugs you idiot!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
I used to think my dad was heterosexual. Then one day, I learned my dad is gay. But you know what I said? I said, "and what?"

• Locked thread