Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Reckon if they get that kind of draw they should get to play and practice in some decent facilities. :clint:

But on the other hand it's high school and you can't recruit so what if their team sucks in a few years and they have to play in the sissies division or something. You can't guarantee a good team or a draw with random population coming through.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect A
Jan 1, 2015

Nap Ghost
I believe In football. I think it's a real thing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Reckon if they get that kind of draw they should get to play and practice in some decent facilities. :clint:

But on the other hand it's high school and you can't recruit so what if their team sucks in a few years and they have to play in the sissies division or something. You can't guarantee a good team or a draw with random population coming through.

I always just assumed you got run out of the district if your kid sucked at football in one of these places where they build ridiculous stadiums for their highschool teams

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

"My life is so dull and pointless I voted to spend millions on high school football because we have nothing else around here"

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Actually, and I wish I was kidding, they DO recruit for high schools in Texas. Families will move to other districts, if necessary.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
Texas really should secede.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Although McKinney's new field might be the most expensive, it is far from the only mega-priced project in the area. The stadium will be built approximately four miles north of a $60 million football stadium which seats 18,000 in Allen, Texas. The town of Katy, Texas is currently building at $62.5 million stadium set to open in 2017.

meanwhile they cut state spending for entitlement programs so the federal government (ie you and me) has to pay more to cover Texas' growing population of poor people

fyodor posted:

Actually, and I wish I was kidding, they DO recruit for high schools in Texas. Families will move to other districts, if necessary.

lol jfc

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
texas, steers and queers

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Schlonged Again posted:

this may seem like an extravagant waste for something as silly as high school sports, but you have to look at it as an investment in our youth. not every child can be a doctor or a scientist, especially in texas where the only science we teach is how God took a bone from adam and made a lady out of it. for some kids, the only path to success is through sports. thanks to this facility and others like it, dozens, maybe hundreds of kids will have what it takes to achieve fame and fortune, beat their fiances up pretty good, and kill themselves at the ripe old age of 45.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I'm trying to make a list of positive things about Texas.

I uh...I've got nothing so far.

dad gay. so what
Feb 18, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

TheNightmanCum-eth posted:

I'm trying to make a list of positive things about Texas.

I uh...I've got nothing so far.

They make the best brisket. Sorry Jews.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

fyodor posted:

They do this in every state that I've lived. Even Iowa! Some for baseball, other football, etc.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Moridin920 posted:

meanwhile they cut state spending for entitlement programs so the federal government (ie you and me) has to pay more to cover Texas' growing population of poor people
Almost sounds like you don't like paying for entitlements either? Weird.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Nill posted:

Almost sounds like you don't like paying for entitlements either? Weird.

i seriously think this guy has cte

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
to make a texas take one part steer to one part queer and mix thouroughly

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

crabcakes66 posted:

Texas really should secede.

Some dumbass I work with was telling me how Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana should secede and make Cruz president.

I christen this country, Dumbfuckistan!

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Dreddout posted:

Some dumbass I work with was telling me how Oklahoma, Texas, and Louisiana should secede and make Cruz president.

He's right

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Aralan posted:

He's right

It might be good for you Yankees, but I like being a welfare queen thank you very much!

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Dreddout posted:

I would unironically live there. Also, a lot of nonathletic fuckboys itt

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Dreddout posted:

It might be good for you Yankees, but I like being a welfare queen thank you very much!

As long as I can still get my doublegulp...

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Lime Tonics posted:

This time for 62.8 million.

The town of McKinney, Texas voted in favor of a bond Saturday that will allow the school district to build a $62.8 million, 12,000-seat high school football stadium. According to USA Today, that price tag would make it the most expensive high school football stadium in the country.

Saturday's vote allowed the town to devote $50.3 million toward the stadium out of a new $220 million bond. The other $12.5 million for the football stadium project will come from a bond approved by the town in 2000.

Although McKinney's new field might be the most expensive, it is far from the only mega-priced project in the area. The stadium will be built approximately four miles north of a $60 million football stadium which seats 18,000 in Allen, Texas. The town of Katy, Texas is currently building at $62.5 million stadium set to open in 2017.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mckinney-texas-high-school-football-new-stadium-bond-050916

Last time they did this, the thing was deemed unsafe after spending 60 million. The stadium in allen texas started cracking and developed significant structural deficiencies

Good use of funds in my opinion. I wonder if this one will be structurally sound.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Dreddout posted:

I promise we won't try to stop you guys this time if you want to secede again, I think we've learned our lesson

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Schlonged Again posted:

this may seem like an extravagant waste for something as silly as high school sports, but you have to look at it as an investment in our youth. not every child can be a doctor or a scientist, especially in texas where the only science we teach is how God took a bone from adam and made a lady out of it. for some kids, the only path to success is through sports. thanks to this facility and others like it, dozens, maybe hundreds of kids will have what it takes to achieve fame and fortune, beat their fiances up pretty good, and kill themselves at the ripe old age of 45.

in texas they invest in banging kids' heads together; in this way they dumb them down so they know not to expect anything of themselves (coming from Texas as they do)

mayhaps it is a blessing that they kill themselves at 45, otherwise they might grow to be a FL retiree

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
It'll make a good auditorium for the arts when the state goes blue in three years.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
You just know that kid tackling Jesus is carved to look stereotypically Jewish.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Lime Tonics posted:

This time for 62.8 million.

The town of McKinney, Texas voted in favor of a bond Saturday that will allow the school district to build a $62.8 million, 12,000-seat high school football stadium. According to USA Today, that price tag would make it the most expensive high school football stadium in the country.

Saturday's vote allowed the town to devote $50.3 million toward the stadium out of a new $220 million bond. The other $12.5 million for the football stadium project will come from a bond approved by the town in 2000.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/mckinney-texas-high-school-football-new-stadium-bond-050916

Last time they did this, the thing was deemed unsafe after spending 60 million. The stadium in allen texas started cracking and developed significant structural deficiencies

Good use of funds in my opinion. I wonder if this one will be structurally sound.

Looked up that stadium that start cracking. I suspected China somehow, but nope, Texas.

quote:

In its latest report, Nelson Forensics said its review of engineering documents discovered areas of the stadium where the design-load demand exceeds the code-permitted capacity by 10-20% at multiple locations, and by greater than 70% at isolated locations.

Somebody forgot to carry the one when calculating load. Oh hey what's this

quote:

In a statement to USA TODAY Sports, PBK said in part: "We continue to work closely with the Allen Independent School District to reopen Eagle Stadium as soon as possible. In the coming weeks, findings will be presented and a repair solution jointly determined with the district. We will do whatever it takes to implement the repairs at absolutely no cost to the Allen ISD or taxpayers."

:lol: Good loving luck. Maybe if it was the general contractor but there's going to be arbitration over the architects insurance claim, so that'll take forever. Plus their insurance is probably a fraction of the GCs.

I'm actually Tarantinoing this article because the lead was the real kicker for me.

quote:

Not only is Allen grappling with the notion that its back-to-back Class 5A Division I state championship football team will have to play its home games for the upcoming season in neighboring Plano, but many locals have been rankled that the news, announced two weeks ago, provided fuel for critics nationwide.

But what about football?? The haters better not say they told us so! Those are the real tragedies here.

criscodisco posted:

Here are Texas lawmakers literally having a cake party to celebrate 10 years of banning gay marriage last year. gently caress Texas. I really wish they'd just secede again.

I lived in Lubbock for a while, and you'd have to pay me to live there again. And I mean good money.

Irony is a celebrate anti gay laws with a gay cake.

Of course Texan politicians only care about foobawl and gays.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SlipUp posted:

Of course Texan politicians only care about foobawl and gays.

only people who are gay are so obsessed with gay bashing

and them piling up tons of teen boys together is just more evidence imo

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

cravius posted:

I would unironically live there. Also, a lot of nonathletic fuckboys itt

and i would unironically want you to live there, because you deserve no better you piece of poo poo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
football f*cking rules

soccer is for losers and bitchmade retards

hope this helps

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i played football and it's hella gay

fun, but hella gay

still don't know why 'slap every player's rear end as the team runs out the locker room' is a thing but it was more weird than encouraging I tell you hwat

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

cravius posted:

As long as I can still get my doublegulp...

Sure, but it only comes in chaw flavor!

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Moridin920 posted:

i played football and it's hella gay

fun, but hella gay

still don't know why 'slap every player's rear end as the team runs out the locker room' is a thing but it was more weird than encouraging I tell you hwat

I think it has something to do with the tight, tiny, n' shiny pants.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Aralan posted:

I promise we won't try to stop you guys this time if you want to secede again, I think we've learned our lesson

The Southwest will rise again!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

fyodor posted:

Any competitive hs program does this. South Florida does this for baseball, football and soccer especially. Free books, free tuition whatever. Private schools are super dirty with it cause families don't have to relocate

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
that sounds like there's some serious graft/corruption going as well as a massive waste of taxpayer resources that would ultimately be better spent actually educating the other 98% of students attending the school

like hey brilliant idea if the South wants to add Creationism to our Biology textbooks, they have to stop spending so much on football programs to the exclusion of everything else.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Waroduce posted:

Any competitive hs program does this. South Florida does this for baseball, football and soccer especially. Free books, free tuition whatever. Private schools are super dirty with it cause families don't have to relocate

Yes, because South Florida has the same level of football insanity that Texas does. See: the patron saint of South Florida, Howard Schnellenberger.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Lol, you think the kids will get to actually use that collosal waste of money? You don't understand wasteful mega stadiums at all, that thing'll sit empty except for a dozen or so friday's every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Schlonged Again posted:

• Locked thread