Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Countblanc posted:

He also has no real substantial burst. He's like a Damage with a bit more mobility and worse effective range.

In some ways he's even worse than Skye. At least Skye has Invisibility, more burst thanks to her legendaries, and her ult is more likely to secure kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh cool, now there's overtime on Onslaught so the enemy team can gank you and steal the win for no reason at all.

I was fine with the barely losing 398 - 400; it was a lot less scummy than overtime.

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
I've not played Talus, but I've not found him difficult to deal with, even as a support. Granted his escape gets him out before death, but if he's neutralized and his healer is dead that doesn't matter much.
Though I've been paired with 3 teams where the enemy Talus was constantly wrecking my partners (what's the matter? Just shoot him or move past him, he's way forward and can't really keep up with most of you) so maybe there's something there.

Also going quadruple tank on the small onslaught maps is hilarious

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Oh cool, now there's overtime on Onslaught so the enemy team can gank you and steal the win for no reason at all.

I was fine with the barely losing 398 - 400; it was a lot less scummy than overtime.

Now that Overtime is gone again the game needs a "you literally cannot win" timer for Onslaught and Payload. If the other team needs to move the cart from spawn to the end in 40 seconds when it'll take at least a minute to do that the game should just end. Same with if one team has 300 points and the other has 100 in Onslaught with X seconds left and you need X+Y seconds to get 201 points. Have some sort of HUD element that basically says "hey, get moving or you actually won't be able to win in time" so people don't get confused.

Basically I just hated when my team was losing in Onslaught, then we took control but even holding the point flawlessly for the allotted time wasn't enough to win since that can actually be a decent chunk of time in that mode.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Myriarch posted:

I've not played Talus, but I've not found him difficult to deal with, even as a support. Granted his escape gets him out before death, but if he's neutralized and his healer is dead that doesn't matter much.
Though I've been paired with 3 teams where the enemy Talus was constantly wrecking my partners (what's the matter? Just shoot him or move past him, he's way forward and can't really keep up with most of you) so maybe there's something there.

Also going quadruple tank on the small onslaught maps is hilarious

Can confirm: Talus is weak and Willo is insane, imagine Drogoz if you needed even less buttons and your abilities had bigger AOEs to reduce needing to bother with aiming much

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Anyone still play this? Looking for some casual friends to play a few games a night with. I plopped down the $20 since I've had fun with this and like where it's going. Just hate playing solo sometimes.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

cage-free egghead posted:

Anyone still play this? Looking for some casual friends to play a few games a night with. I plopped down the $20 since I've had fun with this and like where it's going. Just hate playing solo sometimes.

I exclusively play casual.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/QTforlife/

Not done a lot of paladins lately, But I'm typically down for a round or two. Just say something about the thread when you add me, I really need to clean up my friends list.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Feel like Maeve is so loving overpowered. Unless I am just terrible with just about every character in that if she gets the drop on you, you're pretty much dead.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

cage-free egghead posted:

Feel like Maeve is so loving overpowered. Unless I am just terrible with just about every character in that if she gets the drop on you, you're pretty much dead.

That's all the flanks really. Even Skye, and everyone hates Skye

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Anyone still playing? There's basically nowhere to talk about the new patch that isn't overwhelmingly negative, but I really like it. The game is basically free now except for having to unlock characters and people are super mad about a mode you don't even have to play. Balance got hosed, but it isn't like they can't fix that.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

They're adding a pubg mode and it looks cool. Maybe it will bring new life to the game

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Another thing that would revive the game is reverting OB 64 back to the old system.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Annointed posted:

Another thing that would revive the game is reverting OB 64 back to the old system.

It would not.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I’m pretty sure backing away from EA tier business practices would be a viable option.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

You can't buy cards and you can't buy the chests with crystals and you don't have to play unbound.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Yet. That was the keyword on their official statements, yet. They’re going to as soon as they can get away with it, bleed the game and use that to fun their next IP. Not to mention that Unbound mode replaced Casual mode aka the most played mode. Yeah make your most popular mode into a grind to win system where you get no say in the cards you want. Oh you can play Comp mode so you don’t need to grind. And then comp gets bogged down between the casuals and tryhards having completely different mindsets and goals.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

There's a non comp bounded queue they made specifically for people like you. I don't think you've actually played the game since ob64.

E: any system that provides new players with every card up front is miles better than essence or the gold exchange they had before imo. Matchmaking guarantees you are probably not playing against people with high-level cards as a noob.

But you won't hear any of this because you are one of those retards who believes in hirez conspiracies.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 5, 2018

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
I was slowly starting to wind down my playtime on this (PS4) due to OB65 but the BG mode has me hyped again!

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
The world championship is up now on twitch, Na'Vi vs Fnatic

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011
So huge youtuber uproar about OB64 aside, is the game still fun/better now that classic bound was introduced and competitive is bound?

I've not played much of this yet but it seems really fun but also incredibly overwhelming all the poo poo each character can do. I thought Id watch some of the world championship matches to see if I can figure out how to do things but it's all utterly incoherent to me right now

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Game is still fun, core mechanics are about the same, but there were a lot of balance shakeups with the new card system and legendaries. Worth noting that the world championships were played on OB63 so a lot of the meta has changed since then.

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011
I'm really digging this aesthetic. Sorry if that's a lame thing to wanna talk about but it's like if Jak and Daxter and Warcraft had an art baby

It kinda looks more like a Blizzard game than Overwatch does, to me

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008
Yeh most of the character design is top notch. Its much more fun that overwatch for me too, the ultimates arent completely gamechanging.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

StrawmanUK posted:

Yeh most of the character design is top notch. Its much more fun that overwatch for me too, the ultimates arent completely gamechanging.

I'm really getting into this too. It's a lot of fun coming from Overwatch.

Stuff I like:

1) No hero switching mid-match to counter ad nauseam. This is actually a positive for me.
2) No rezzes except for the one character Terminus, which is a self only rez.
3) Health regen out of combat.
4) I find the supports a lot more fun to play.
5) Makoa, who is real and strong and is my friend.

Don't like:

1) 20 seconds or whatever to set up skins before a match. Ain't nobody got time for that
2) Willo, the creepy Bratz doll

I never played before the card change that apparently made everyone super mad but as someone who started playing after all the changes, I don't see why it's so bad? I dunno.

PepperKeibu
May 1, 2009
Assuming you mean the OB64 thing, The complaint was 1) that it makes the game pay to win and 2) that it removes some of the customization. On top of that there were bugs like Skye being able to spam infinite smoke bombs (which now do damage) and balancing problems like Lex instantly shredding tanks. The Devs also gave some rather nonsensical explanations for the changes. Complaining about the changes became a meme on Reddit and snowballed.

I don't think the game has suddenly become terrible, though while I'm not sure customization has actually decreased, you can certainly give yourself an advantage in arcade mode by buying boosters or bundles that reward gold/vip.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

PepperKeibu posted:

Complaining about the changes became a meme on Reddit and snowballed.

Gotcha. Probably been the third game since christmas I've tried where this was the explanation.

Either way, I've found this to be a fun time and not the goofy ripoff I thought it was at first glance.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
I miss payload.

I really hope it comes back. It was my fav casual game type. Siege sucks. Its just toooo long for casual play. Worst case payload is what, 14 min? or something? Siege can last a month :(

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Tom Gorman posted:

Don't like:

1) 20 seconds or whatever to set up skins before a match. Ain't nobody got time for that
2) Willo, the creepy Bratz doll

1) I do because the PS4 keeps loving up my skin settings.
2) She's actually pretty great, load her with the Seedlings legendary card, and any thing that reduces cooldowns and you are an area denial monster.

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011
I really like the fact that you regen out of battle. As a healer main I thought I wouldn't, but it just emphasizes the importance of healing during fights to maximize your odds of winning, and from what I can tell most heals are burst or AoE heal auras so you still need to partake in the fight and actually shoot in this first person shooter

This is probably the most fun I've had healing in any game. I dunno how healers are in overwatch but being a medic in TF2 all too often boils down to being a healbot while hoping your teammates are competent

And Willo definitely looks gross but shes not another right click iron sights assault rifle champion #30 so I'm ok with her

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I've just got into this game and I've been having good amount of fun with it. Scratches the right itch. Got Tyra to lvl 10 and got a set of cards that basically just lets me throw endless firebombs. Helps with dealing with flank and tank characters. I use the firebomb legendary card with all the "reduce refresh time when x" cards and just watch as people get stuck in the flames, die to proc nade launcher, kill someone with a nade which procs firebomb, rinse, repeat. The most damage I've managed to squeeze out of this setup is currently at little over 140K.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Chernobyl baby posted:

I really like the fact that you regen out of battle. As a healer main I thought I wouldn't, but it just emphasizes the importance of healing during fights to maximize your odds of winning, and from what I can tell most heals are burst or AoE heal auras so you still need to partake in the fight and actually shoot in this first person shooter

This is probably the most fun I've had healing in any game. I dunno how healers are in overwatch but being a medic in TF2 all too often boils down to being a healbot while hoping your teammates are competent

And Willo definitely looks gross but shes not another right click iron sights assault rifle champion #30 so I'm ok with her

Yeh Hirez have nailed giving the healers good damage capabilities because of how healing gets less and less effective during a game when cauterize starts to take effect.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

My roommate and I are kind of burnt on LoL and not interested in another MOBA. I thought this would maybe scratch the tactical team-based itch. We played a few rounds last night.

Does it ever get more tactical than siege mode? Would there be a legitimate need for communication and coordination at higher levels, or is the action still going to be pretty twitchy?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

If anyone used to play this and abandoned ship after the lovely lootbox update that made everyone furious, Hi-Rez brought in a new group of people and they're reverting all the changes, card leveling, removing boxes and adding power progression that is pretty much what everyone wanted. Basically a complete overhaul.

The number of changes are bonkers, I won't copy/paste because its huge:

http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?71718-Open-Beta-67-Updates-Notes-March-7

Supposed to drop in a couple days, if you used to like playing more chill but less polished free Overwatch.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Tom Gorman posted:

If anyone used to play this and abandoned ship after the lovely lootbox update that made everyone furious, Hi-Rez brought in a new group of people and they're reverting all the changes, card leveling, removing boxes and adding power progression that is pretty much what everyone wanted. Basically a complete overhaul.

http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?71718-Open-Beta-67-Updates-Notes-March-7

Supposed to drop in a couple days, if you used to like playing more chill but less polished free Overwatch.

Yeah I got back into the game today because of this. I forgot how much I enjoyed having this game in my life

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tom Gorman posted:

Holy moly, time to reinstall this sucker. :eyepop:

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
Got back into this prior to OB 67 dropping in order to find out how bad it was, since I had stopped playing around OB 47. That entire system they had prior to this patch was garbage, holy crap. People had to open hundreds of boxes just to get a single character to max level, at which point they were vastly more powerful than their peers.
Good riddance to that.

But yeah, the game is pretty fun and Makoa is bae.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

I have to give them props for admitting they hosed up instead of doubling down.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I've been playing this pretty consistently for the last couple of months. I welcome the changes as they don't break my previous card strategies. Tyra, Inara, Jenos, and Zhin are my go tos for competitive. When Tyra isn't banned I mean.

I even managed to get to play the single day they had Battleground mode. Was a bit fun but honestly didn't really fit the game.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So I haven't played this game in about a year and a quarter. I see this new update, which goes back on all this grindy bullshit the old team placed in. IIRC, the reason I stopped playing was because it was difficult at best to get people to log in, get hooked up on the same team, and communicate via any means. Has any of that changed? Is this new system hot poo poo now and more fun and less grindy? Should I start playing again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PepperKeibu
May 1, 2009
I wasn't playing the game a year ago, so I don't know what it was like but the grind now is only for talents (formerly legendary cards), which are now tied to character level and characters which now have an increased gold cost. Character levels, and thus talents, can also now be bought with gold. Supposedly character level grind has been reduced, and gold attainment increased but I don't know for sure since current players got to keep all the talents they already had before the patch and got a ton of gold as a refund from the cards unbound system. Radiant chests are also gone, if you care about that.

That said, the game is bugged to the extent that reveals like Cassie's ult don't actually reveal anything.