Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Det_no posted:

Oh I was literally just looking for this thread five minutes ago. Neat game, surprised I already have most champions but I guess that happens when you unlock 5 through giveaways.

Fernando is too beefy, assassin elf is far too good, Barik's blunderbuss is loving garbage and sniper chick is infinitely superior to archer chick but other than that game is pretty solid.

Are there any champion giveaways happening now? I found a skin giveaway (plus the facebook/twitter/youtube cross-promotions), but no classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sputnik posted:

Are there any champion giveaways happening now? I found a skin giveaway (plus the facebook/twitter/youtube cross-promotions), but no classes.

i didn't find a give away but you should all absolutely look at the argument on their facebook on the video called 'gabe said so' , currently second to last post

jesus christ lmao. alright lets play some paladins boys

extra stout fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 19, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Wow this game is basically chinese overwatch but I really like it. Pretty much everyone but the pharah knock off is fun to play. Groot is dope also.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This game is infinitely superior to Overwatch because it has good map design.

Which is to say it has none at all, I forgot how weirdly mishmashed these maps where.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Knifegrab posted:

Wow this game is basically chinese overwatch but I really like it. Pretty much everyone but the pharah knock off is fun to play. Groot is dope also.

It really doesn't play anything like OW though

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Sputnik posted:

There were, dunno if there's still codes cause most these pages just show me the ones I used.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/09/16/paladins-free-champion-skin/
http://www.pcgamesn.com/Paladins/Paladins-open-beta-champion-giveaway
http://massivelyop.com/2016/09/16/paladins-giveaway/#keys
http://www.gameitems.com/get-your-paladins-open-beta-giveaway-1102.html

There might be other pages around. There should be a code for Evie, one for Buck and one for Cassie. Following the game's page on facebook/youtube/twitter gets you Viktor, a gun and a black horse.

I also got a free Pip a while back and you could get Androxus through the E3 humble bundle ticket but those are not obtainable anymore (not even if you get an unused E3 ticket code, they expired at some point.)

Fake edit: oh the skins unlock the heroes too, as far as I know.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 19, 2016

ChickenWyngz
Apr 3, 2015

Got them WMD's! Got that Pandemic!
This is pretty fun. Should we set up a discord server?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
In as HerrBatz

Feel free to add me.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Is there free hero rotation or are the ones that came unlocked just permanently unlocked?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

extra stout posted:

Blizzard is the company who sued Valve for using characters a guy who works for Valve designed while making a free mod for a Blizzard game, a Blizzard game which stole most of it's ideas directly from Warhammer and Tolkien. What I'm saying is this: It is at least as legal as The WLich King

Didn't dota make a version of the skeleton king from D2? And named a support after a character from warcraft 3 itself? And I don't think games workshop has a license for "giant shoulder armor" so that case would be a little hard to make.

Also it'd be interesting to see what legal rulings have actually been made about Tolkien's stuff, since basically everyone is ripping him off all the time and will continue to do so forever.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Knifegrab posted:

Is there free hero rotation or are the ones that came unlocked just permanently unlocked?

I don't know what a hero rotation is but every hero i had so far i still have and you can unlock them anyway for 5k gold which isn't that much.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Just unlocked berik and he's fun but a little under powered.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Also drogoz is a really good starting hero but falls off once you fight the sniper lady

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010

Knifegrab posted:

Apparently there is no rotation right now and those heroes are free starting ones.

I've played about a dozen matches and here's some quick observations:

Every match I have played so far has been extremely one sided one way or the other. I have yet to have a match where I said "Dang, that was tense!" Maybe that will come if people improve but holy smokes, people get really bad tunnel vision and ignore everything behind them.

I have no idea why they decided to make sniper lady a free champion. She is on both teams most matches due to the MUST BE SNIPER mentality and it gets old reeaaal quick.

The comparisons to overwatch are fair but also not, at the same time. You can't change characters mid match and the card system allows you to adjust your character to counter specific strengths of the other team.

Game has potential but there is still work to be done. Some characters seem pretty lackluster right now or need ability's tweaked (Buck's leap seems impossible to aim reliably right now for me).

Also, the character designs are pretty cringe-worthy. Video Game Stereotypes-R-Us.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also drogoz is a really good starting hero but falls off once you fight the sniper lady

His ultimate having a three-four second delay where every sniper and bow in the game hits you makes him unfortunate, I think he's good in that he is fun and people will keep playing, but not that good.

Bodacious I agree with most of that but I don't think the hero design is that bad, I like the ent even if he's unoriginal and the turtle man even if every tank who isn't Fernando isn't as good as if your team had a Fernando.

The most probable way to lose a pub though is what you described, multiple people pick an 'FPS looking' hero and don't help with the objectives.

Who's got a vent/ts/mumble we can use?

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Can we get like a referral spreadsheet or something? I want that Pip skin.

Edit: Ah gently caress it, use this if you want to play. You'll get stuff too.
http://www.paladins.com/play-for-free?ref=Detrian

Det_no fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 19, 2016

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Pip owns, specced him for bouncing and heal range. Barik is difficult to play and tough to do well in :( Skye needs a nerf. Pubs are bad snipers that don't understand if they don't push up you're going to lose real bad.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
I've actually gotten pretty good on berik. His shotgun needs a buff but he's pretty solid everywhere else.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I once had a sniper who was loving raging about no one protecting him, when he was like forty seven miles from the objective

Also everyone was so far away from him that he should've been able to snipe everyone who tried to get close to him anyway

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
I had a card or two that buffed the turrets a bit so pushed Barik that way, but I think he needs a little more HP and the shotgun needs a little help. The sniper chick I found stupid easy to play. Nuke the tank on cap then move up and start taking out the damages/supports. It basically locks onto things so yellow diamond appears and BAM 1400 damage.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Pip owns, specced him for bouncing and heal range. Barik is difficult to play and tough to do well in :( Skye needs a nerf. Pubs are bad snipers that don't understand if they don't push up you're going to lose real bad.

He really lives and dies with his turrets because you'll do little to no direct damage with the gun's insane spread. I've had a fair amount of success placing down a shield then dropping a turret, firing a few shots and then either dropping another turret if we are doing well in the fight or immediately retreating with rocket boots and finding a better place to drop another shield + turret. If your team gets the payload then you can quickly hop on it and drop turrets right on top of the thing, guaranteed to kill at least a couple enemies either by acting as decoys while your team unloads or blasting fools on their own.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
My berik build is a card that whenever a turret dies you get X health over time combined with the quick turret ready card and the shield when you charge with 2 extras until I find better. than I buy the cool down card in battle as much as I can.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Why do I need to get 12 heroes to lvl 4 to unlock ranked mode....

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
this game is, uh, pretty bad

Orv
May 4, 2011

Antoine Silvere posted:

this game is, uh, pretty bad

Yeah it seems like they've refactored this game from "Just kind of okay" to "Hey here's all the worst parts of Overwatch!" so that's cool.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

Yeah it seems like they've refactored this game from "Just kind of okay" to "Hey here's all the worst parts of Overwatch!" so that's cool.

the "lets just take all the overwatch characters and splice them together" school of character design combined with the game somehow having even less personality than battleborn and some stupid card system make this really unfun to play

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I actually don't think this game is awful but it's not great. It seems kinda pointless. I'm not sure what the audience is for "Overwatch with shorter rounds and bland characters that doesn't play as well". Like I guess I can see the appeal in ults that don't just wipe the enemy team. The card thing seems like, in a vacuum, it'll draw some people and repel others. I'd rather not deal with the cards, personally.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Every time I'm in the middle of a video game rapidly clicking buttons, shooting mens, owning noobs, I pause and go "wait a second the character designs aren't complex!!!!" and then alt f4 and look at a wall until I become dead

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

extra stout posted:

Every time I'm in the middle of a video game rapidly clicking buttons, shooting mens, owning noobs, I pause and go "wait a second the character designs aren't complex!!!!" and then alt f4 and look at a wall until I become dead

We were wrong to have fun with this game. I hope we find more awful people who don't know about good games so we can get a full group going.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

yeah despite what I've said I've actually put in about an hour a day in this game since last Wednesday and I can't say I haven't enjoyed it. I just find its entire existence a bit odd.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
There's definitely a market of people that have heard of Overwatch but don't want to spend the money to buy it. I would probably be in that crowd if I didn't wise up and just buy Overwatch, which is an awesome and consistently fun game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I don't need any quality from a game, as long as I can click buttons. That's the only thing I ever look for.

let me click the button.

button.

button.

button.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

FrostyPox posted:

I actually don't think this game is awful but it's not great. It seems kinda pointless. I'm not sure what the audience is for "Overwatch with shorter rounds and bland characters that doesn't play as well". Like I guess I can see the appeal in ults that don't just wipe the enemy team. The card thing seems like, in a vacuum, it'll draw some people and repel others. I'd rather not deal with the cards, personally.

Overwatch with shorter rounds would actually be baller as gently caress. Sit through a couple of 40 minute competitive games and you'll appreciate shorter games, too.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Another skin giveaway Two giveaways.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/paladins-onslaught-giveaway/1100-6443670/
https://gleam.io/9neOw/paladins-open-beta-skin-giveaway

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Thanks for linking the other ones (these fuckers make you verify and share data from every social media account that exists though)

WHO'S UP FOR SOME PALADINS TONIGHT? We just need a voice chat and some Fernandos

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So, uh, are the hitboxes in this game ridiculous, or is my internet connection/their network kinda screwy? A few times Sniper Lady shot pretty far to the right or left in my last game and still scored headshots, despite the bullets hitting empty air

Orv
May 4, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

So, uh, are the hitboxes in this game ridiculous, or is my internet connection/their network kinda screwy? A few times Sniper Lady shot pretty far to the right or left in my last game and still scored headshots, despite the bullets hitting empty air

I wasn't joking when I said the worst parts of Overwatch. If she shoots anywhere near you you die.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Guessing Cassie is OP because I just played this for the first time and went about 10 rounds with just her getting most eliminations, damage, solo kills and multi kills. Every. Single. Round.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Dustoph posted:

Guessing Cassie is OP because I just played this for the first time and went about 10 rounds with just her getting most eliminations, damage, solo kills and multi kills. Every. Single. Round.

She might be OP but it seems to start your matchmaking rank at zero and sometimes you compete against what appear to be sentient potatoes who have never touched a video game before in their lives

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

For me it has the appeal of being OW but f2p instead of ridiculously overpriced.