Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
I miss payload still.

But, Logging in to a billion free everything was pretty cool. And not having to "reunlock" every god drat card is nice. That level system was really stupid as poo poo.

Had fun tonight. I think paladins may come back into regular rotation. At least casually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
And now that Paladins is essentially becoming Overwatch I don't see the point in continuing to play. Skins and voices will be locked together (so no more plushy Makoa with volcanic skin) and from what it looks like, they're copying Overwatch's main menu.

It really sucks since I liked the customization freedom. :smith:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The game is fundamentally different in so many ways from overwatch.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Rubellavator posted:

The game is fundamentally different in so many ways from overwatch.

And yet with every update they seem to make themselves closer to Overwatch. :negative:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Like Overwatch... or like Smite. Skins being complete replacements instead of using the limiting pieces system and including an appropriate voice is a much better system than the one used before.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Game is officially out of beta since last week even though there was no release patch. Tomorrow will be the first patch since release.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really want to like this game but it is super buggy and has a lot of serious issues.

Whitefire
Oct 9, 2007

DEE DEEEEE
Logging in to 1.0 for piles of stuff and playing all night with some friends was awesome. Twitch prime is great for getting a handful of free purple skins for very little money, and the battle pass is actually jam packed with good stuff for the small price. So all of that is cheap and fun if the champion pack isn't enough for you. Had to remake all my decks but it gave me a good chance to relearn the game and and come up with some better strategy.

Couple of things hi-rez did right with this game now that they are wasting their time making a battle royale:
Lock-in hero select makes for an engaging draft with bans and a rotating meta in ranked mode, I can understand how it might be annoying in casuals when your team picks themselves into a corner.
Good array of ultimate abilities and counters to them that makes building and using them a core mechanic of point contention while not slowing down the pace while playing without them.
Deckbuilding and talent selection is engaging and can enable multiple playstyles on just about every hero.
Game is finally a refined shooter that rewards good aiming, movement, and positioning and a handful of heroes with extremely large skill floors.

I have 14 levels on Barik and I took the Tinkerin blunderbuss for the first time tonight, never once thought i'd be keeping snipers off rooftops with this little guy.

Name's Spoool I'd be happy to play with some goons.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
The mobile Paladins game is surprisingly fun, with some exceptions:

- Kinessa is annoyingly useless and you'll usually be really pissed that your kinessa ally is jerking off in a bush while the enemy team captures the payload. So, eerily accurate to FPS Kinessa.

- Runes are kind of....really gross. Unlike FPS Paladins where cards are just ways to customize a hero, or League where there's a stat cap where they become customization and less a grinding advantage, Paladins Strike runes have no stat cap, no customization options, and the stat gains are REALLY steep; my Makoa has a 25% damage boost right now and can often oneshot chained targets that aren't frontline.

- Drogoz is kind of overpowered (his ult is way easier to land on a 2d plane than a 3d space)...and incidentally is the hero you get for free when making an IAP.

- Ying continues to be overpowered garbage, Terminus is hilariously useless

With that bad stuff out of the way, it's still a pretty fun MOBA translation, and it's hitting a sweet spot for me where the matches are shorter than Vainglory but not as short as other mobile MOBA's.

Krazuel
Nov 23, 2004

Not doing that again!
Picked this up and played a few games with a friend.
Up to level 7 now, first 5 levels were all bot matches which was weird, but not bad gave a chance to get used to things.
Seems pretty fun so far.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I dunno but this whole "Furia and Lian are entirely removed from the game because of 'audio issues'" is pretty nice. It's too bad I haven't seen any legit reasons from Hi-Rez to remove them, as much as I'm enjoying them gone.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
I have been playing online competitive games basically my entire life, but Paladins is the only game I have uninstalled because the community was absolutely brain dead. Like, absolutely no communication whatsoever, ignoring the objective and trying to deathmatch while all 5 of the other team stands on the objective, flanks just standing there shooting head on and dying. It was legitimately like that for 20ish games every time before I just gave up. Not even any banter or blame after the match ended, just everyone disconnecting and hoping into the next QM shitfest.

That was about a year ago. I reinstalled the other day and ... everything was essentially the same.

Like, I have played MOBAs, shooters, etc. for years. Of course you will always have some bad games and teamates, but that is balanced out by the good games too.

I just could not find people who knew what to do. It was legit bizarre. Another 15-20 games where every single player on my team just had severe tunnel visions and would be wiped by flanks (while our flanks, again, just stand back and shoot at them from a distance like the damage dudes). I played tank and healer in the vast majority of matches and got top player just for standing on the point. It was seriously like playing with a bunch of bots. Communication was fruitless.

Not sure if PC players get matched with console people? Maybe that could explain some of it, but this game just feels like it is on life support.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Bodacious posted:

I have been playing online competitive games basically my entire life, but Paladins is the only game I have uninstalled because the community was absolutely brain dead. Like, absolutely no communication whatsoever, ignoring the objective and trying to deathmatch while all 5 of the other team stands on the objective, flanks just standing there shooting head on and dying. It was legitimately like that for 20ish games every time before I just gave up. Not even any banter or blame after the match ended, just everyone disconnecting and hoping into the next QM shitfest.

That was about a year ago. I reinstalled the other day and ... everything was essentially the same.

Like, I have played MOBAs, shooters, etc. for years. Of course you will always have some bad games and teamates, but that is balanced out by the good games too.

I just could not find people who knew what to do. It was legit bizarre. Another 15-20 games where every single player on my team just had severe tunnel visions and would be wiped by flanks (while our flanks, again, just stand back and shoot at them from a distance like the damage dudes). I played tank and healer in the vast majority of matches and got top player just for standing on the point. It was seriously like playing with a bunch of bots. Communication was fruitless.

Not sure if PC players get matched with console people? Maybe that could explain some of it, but this game just feels like it is on life support.

I can't say you're wrong, but your issues seem the same of any comp scene; it really seems whether you know anyone on the internet to play with.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I would say keep with casuals until the game starts matchmaking you with pros. By then you will be able to skip right past all the very poor players in ranked.

Ranked really doesn't even offer much better games. There are pros who dont even play it at all because of how long the queues take. Even then, it's rare to get a game where people use the comms because this game doesn't really require it. Play your role and use some vgs when needed.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I just hopped into this out of sheer boredom, and it's....

good?

I'm sort of amazed at the depth, the loadouts aren't just little stat boosts, they're completely transformative. That plus the number of heroes means just loving around and playing with different builds and unlocking stuff is actually pretty fun. The big problem, of course, is the community. I have no idea why this isn't more popular, but the lack of playerbase and shoddy skillmatching means most of my matches are just roll or be rolled. When an actual fight breaks out, it's fantastic, but man there's a lot of downtime to suffer through.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

It's a good game, tell your friends to try it. The matchmaking suffers mostly from low population. Also there tends to be a snowball effect in games where the winning side gets stronger as the game progresses.

A lot of people get burnt out on the game because the developers aren't great when it comes to fixing bugs or champs that dont get nerfed quickly enough or make baffling design decisions. In spite of that, I think the game is well designed and there is no other customizable champ-based fps.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Yeah, the more I play the more I can see what's wrong here. The F2P model isn't doing the game any favors at all, since even character voices and music are locked behind a grind/pay wall. It feels unfinished and cheap without them. I don't mind grinding for cosmetics but why would you bring in a whole voice cast and write lines for dozens of characters if you're gonna lock the whole mess behind a paywall that a tiny fraction of your playerbase will unlock? Reading through the thread, it seems like it's in a better place now than it used to be but I guess that's a pretty low bar.

It's frustrating because the game is, mechanically, so loving good. It basically fixes everything I don't like about Overwatch.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Voices used to be included in the founders pack, I wish they had kept that, but they said the game wasn't making money at the time. The grind is at least limited only to champions themselves and cosmetics now. Used to have to buy the loadout cards.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

The new patch came out and Dredge has arrived. He is awesome but like with any damage hero he requires aim to make his best Legendary Hurl work. It turns him into like a Cassie but can get multiple buffs like more health, triple damage against shields and gives you infinite ammo for your main weapon.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Some of the simple mechanics in Paladins push it past Overwatch in my book. Really it just comes down to no hero switching and you regen health out of combat. Those two things right there are so critical to how much I enjoy these types of arena shooters that I can't really see playing OW instead anymore.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Tom Gorman posted:

Some of the simple mechanics in Paladins push it past Overwatch in my book. Really it just comes down to no hero switching and you regen health out of combat. Those two things right there are so critical to how much I enjoy these types of arena shooters that I can't really see playing OW instead anymore.

I really wish some of the stuff around the core gameplay was tighter, because Paladins is definitely in a different space and the macro level plays different because of those changes.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Also whoever named this game "Paladins" should be sad because that's just about the lamest name ever. Why even call it that? What does it have to do with anything? Even something 10x more generic like "Champions of the Realm" would have done better.

I like this game but I've always disliked it's stupid name.

PepperKeibu
May 1, 2009

Tom Gorman posted:

Why even call it that? What does it have to do with anything?
It is from the storyline. There was a group called the Paladins that saved the world. Afterwards they set up the Magistrate to govern things. Crystal power was discovered and the Magistrate wanted to horde it for itself. The former leader of the Paladins decided to revive the Paladins to oppose the Magistrate. Now there is a war between the two sides. Also angels and fairies showed up for some reason. So the game is just named after the good guys.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Right, but the good guys could have been named something different, too.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Came back to play Paladins and drat I seem to have a lot of gold refunded to me. Also Viktor's redesign looks kind of weird to me, I prefer his old one.

Tom Gorman posted:

Plus there's no Medic/Mercy type of healer - the kind who just stands there and does nothing but heal. The support characters in this game are a lot more active and fun to play.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I think originally they were all supposed to be paladins of the gods from smite, but the lore has changed and the name stayed.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tom Gorman posted:

I played overwatch a few times and was surprised to see how every match seemed to devolve into a deathmatch where everybody just ran off and did their own thing. Its easy to say the reason for this is its community, but I really didnt see any incentives to teamplay with the various classes from how the gameplay is set up.

Paladins however have very clear outlines of how the basics of teamplay should work; You need someone to soak up damage to be able to control the point, you need a healer to back the tank, and flankers plus damage classes that range around the point keeping the incoming damage on the tank as low as possible.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Been playing this for some time on the Switch. I'm liking it so far, even though sometimes the players act like headless chickens. I'm glad the company has done work on it to improve overall performance on the game patch after patch. One point of contention I've had with the game is the controls - I mean, playing Splatoon 2 and having to go back to twin stick controls is kinda iffy, but I'm glad they're now adding that control scheme later in November. It's also not as stylish as Splatoon, but eh, can't have it all.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
I started playing this on switch this week. It’s fun and I like some of the differences from Overwatch. However the people I group with are pretty terrible. No one wants to play support, so I always end up switching even after I’ve selected my character first. I like playing healer but not every game. A lot of people are also bad about just getting on the objective. Would love some other people to play with on Switch

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
https://twitter.com/PaladinsGame/status/1058079044888154113
Next week's Season Pass update will include gyro controls for Nintendo Switch and PS4 players. (Xbox users need not apply.) PC players are not left out, since apparently you can use the PS4 controller on the PC also - that is, if you prefer the gamepad to the mouse.

EDIT: You can see the gyro controls live in use from the reveal stream.

No. 1 Callie Fan fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Nov 2, 2018

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
Looks like this patch they're attempting to get rid of the burst meta. A bunch of champions have various talents that give bonus damage nerfed (Heads Will Roll no longer grants bonus damage and give 3 extra rounds instead of 2, Shrapnel just gives increased area but no bonus damage, Lex does less damage overall, etc).

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Update 1.8 is up. The gyro aiming is far from perfect on the Switch, but it really helps my game. The PS4 should have the same system, dunno how well it works there.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE
Season 2 and version 2.1 is coming mid-January, and with that a lot of changes are coming to the game.

I'll just list the important bits:
  • Crossplay between platforms (sans PS4 because Sony)
  • Special abilities are reduced from four to just three
  • You can buy up to any four items instead of one for each category
  • Burst meta is dead
  • Various tweaks and such on several champions, for example Khan's ultimate can now miss
  • Maps will have location callouts for better teamplay
  • 2019 will be the year of the bug hunt: More resources are assigned on fixing bugs

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Started playing this yesterday, having a pretty good time but Lex is loving stupid.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

BadLlama posted:

Started playing this yesterday, having a pretty good time but Lex is loving stupid.

Why do you think so? He was pretty unbalanced when they first introduced him but I feel he is much better now.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

hes supposed to be a flanker and so like a glass cannon and yet everytime in a 1v1 him generally stomps my DPS. His guns like 4 shot my frontline characters I dunno. I do not know enough about the game but generally when ever there is a lex in game they dominate the entire match.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

BadLlama posted:

hes supposed to be a flanker and so like a glass cannon and yet everytime in a 1v1 him generally stomps my DPS. His guns like 4 shot my frontline characters I dunno. I do not know enough about the game but generally when ever there is a lex in game they dominate the entire match.

If you just started the game like you said, then it's probably a good time to look into items, specifically Haven that reduces damage from direct damage weapons. Personally I find Skye to be an insanely powerful Flanker, and she usually ends up banned in ranked.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Lex has the problem of not having any vertical mobility and not having a good escape. Talus is more effective on the current patch thanks to built-in caut, and he fills the same niche.

E: I can only speak for PC.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 31, 2018

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

She fights for LOVE

Rubellavator posted:

E: I can only speak for PC.

It'll be interesting to see how different platform players will interact when they bring multiplat gaming on in 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
I just starting playing too. So far I really like Pip because he seems to be great at damage and healing. At the scrublord tier I seem to be at I often out damage the damage and flank classes as Pip.