Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It looks like the game has gone into some kind of open beta. I don't know if it's a limited thing but I'm :f5: downloading now!!

I didn't like Overwatch much when I played it briefly, installed this game for free today and it owns big time. It's a little cheesy, very simple and flashy, the interface (and the hero unlock system, skin buying etc) is all much more like League than it is like Dota. But it's free, so I expected it.

Also we not only can do referrals for something like a week after a person begins, but you actually get a bunch of bonus coins for every hour you play together. Definitely a good goon game, someone less lazy than I am should make a Steam group and if they don't, I will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ScorpioMajesty posted:

I'm in too. It's pretty fun. I like drago.

Did you buy the unlock everything bundle or grind him out? I am thinking of buying it while it's only 13 bucks, but then I wonder what I do with all this gold? Seems like the only thing gold does is unlock heroes

Also a dumb rear end group is up because no one else made one for me, as promised!

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/POVERTYPALADINS

I think you click a button and then I approve you, make sure to say 'stairs' a lot or I can't confirm you're part of this secret elite forum

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Blizzard is the company who sued Valve for using characters a guy who works for Valve designed while making a free mod for a Blizzard game, a Blizzard game which stole most of it's ideas directly from Warhammer and Tolkien. What I'm saying is this: It is at least as legal as The WLich King

ScorpioMajesty posted:

No, he was one of the free heroes. Is it different for everyone? I also ended up getting his skin in a chest! The heroe im grinding out is the engineer guy.

You're right, just didn't try him yet. Unlocked the tree man, and I can confirm he owns

Also the client of this game is good, the only menu that sucks is the social panel so make sure to add each other in game several times til it works, and if you refer each other or me, you also get bonus coins and eventually crystals the more hours you play with that person.

Current in game name is LONGBEARD add me goons

extra stout fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Sep 18, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Barik is bad. Fernando is a bit broken and Sky's special strike should probably be nerfed too. Pubbies continue to impress me with how awful they are. Also I did not know that Hi-Rez were the ones behind Global Agenda. GA owned tons and actually worked pretty well as a F2P shooter.

I haven't tried all the heroes but the formula that is true is that the most important thing is a team mate pick Fernando and know how to hold the shield up while we capture. Then and only then, I can pick the Tree Man and hatchet the poo poo out of people while mass healing my team. What's your in game name?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sputnik posted:

Are there any champion giveaways happening now? I found a skin giveaway (plus the facebook/twitter/youtube cross-promotions), but no classes.

i didn't find a give away but you should all absolutely look at the argument on their facebook on the video called 'gabe said so' , currently second to last post

jesus christ lmao. alright lets play some paladins boys

extra stout fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 19, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

ScorpioMajesty posted:

Also drogoz is a really good starting hero but falls off once you fight the sniper lady

His ultimate having a three-four second delay where every sniper and bow in the game hits you makes him unfortunate, I think he's good in that he is fun and people will keep playing, but not that good.

Bodacious I agree with most of that but I don't think the hero design is that bad, I like the ent even if he's unoriginal and the turtle man even if every tank who isn't Fernando isn't as good as if your team had a Fernando.

The most probable way to lose a pub though is what you described, multiple people pick an 'FPS looking' hero and don't help with the objectives.

Who's got a vent/ts/mumble we can use?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Every time I'm in the middle of a video game rapidly clicking buttons, shooting mens, owning noobs, I pause and go "wait a second the character designs aren't complex!!!!" and then alt f4 and look at a wall until I become dead

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Thanks for linking the other ones (these fuckers make you verify and share data from every social media account that exists though)

WHO'S UP FOR SOME PALADINS TONIGHT? We just need a voice chat and some Fernandos

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Woodburger posted:

I am a big overwatch fan and I like free games so I tried this and boy is it mediocre in just about every way. There is no weight behind anything.

Thanks to all the bitter Overwatch fanboys this thread has actually exceeded it's weight limit

I saw Lutha's reply but clicked the button anyway because he was too easy on your non contributing post.

TIME TO PLAY SOME PALADINS!, add LONGBEARD if you want to play a game.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Verranicus posted:

I dunno if calling people who are trying out this new game, this new game that needs new people to succeed in a currently very competitive market, fanboys is a great idea. I'm downloading the game and plan to give it a try and you better believe I'll be making comparisons to TF2 and Overwatch in my trip report because they're the current gold standard for the genre. It's great if you love a game, don't get shrill about any criticism.

As he admitted in his post above mine just now 'overwatch good 'this game mediocre' is not really helping anyone decide if they want to play Paladins or not. Legitimate criticism: If you're from Dota you'll have to deal with game using a League of Legends system to unlock two heroes a week or whatever the speed is for an average amount of game time, the better skins typically can't be bought with the gold currency easily grindable from playing the game, the social menu has a few bugs. Honestly for a beta the game is really smooth, I paid the 13 bucks to unlock all content and get the bonus goodies, but I would have unlocked all of the heroes pretty quickly even just playing for fun every night.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Verranicus posted:

Like I'm not saying the game is bad or good but you've gotta be less defensive with this coming out on the coattails of Overwatch which was a massive success. Mediocre isn't even that bad when put beside Battleborn which was just terrible.

I replied to a post that served no purpose with a mild joke that served very little purpose, I'm fine with people thinking "Well I already paid 50 bucks for Overwatch and it's Blizzard, I'd better not quit!"

But I'm gonna keep playing some casual Paladins, today brings yet another free skin code and this one requires zero social media or effort, enjoy

http://www.ign.com/prime/promo/paladins-evie

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lmao sick burn bro :xd:

My posts are like Fernando mashing that F and holding his left click til it's all over.

FrostyPox posted:

My last game had a Brazilian Grover who spent the entire game calling the Sniper Lady on our team a noob (I presume it was because the sniper was not standing on the objective but hanging back and, you know, sniping).

This game is really starting to grow on me, it's actually kinda fun despite its flaws and I'm enjoying the nuclear salt I encounter every other match. :allears:

Just by picking grover he was probably helping your team more with his passive aoe heal than any dps character in this game could do, I for one would like to befriend A Brazilian Grover, or maybe pay to change my in game name to that.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 22, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
It's the weekend and that means free to play video game betas with people I can refer to as my friends when I call my grandma again!!

LONGBEARD is online and playing some Paladins tonight if anyone is game send me an add or an in game message.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Garbanian posted:

Added referral. Lets get you some hours for your bonus! IGN: Garbanian

Accepted friend request!

neogeo0823 posted:

Truly, I am THE WORST GUY ON THE TEAM.

EDIT: Also, who should I use as my referral?

EDIT2: I'm in as WORSTGUYONTEAM, because 20 characters is not enough.

Added you too, I'll be on for a few hours tonight. I would say use someone who plays enough that they'll hit 15 so you get a bigger reward, HerrBatz is a cool goon who is up to 11 or so I think.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Bodacious posted:

This game is not worth playing until Skye's ult is fixed. It kills any character even they are at full health and has an absurd AOE range.

This can't be intentional.

It's definitely the best and most broken ulti in the game, your option (your only option) is to dodge out of the way, fly out of the way, etc, and keep walking even once you think you're out of the range. I imagine the range of it will be cut in half if the devs play the game.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

neogeo0823 posted:

Some impressions after playing a few matches:

There's barely any jump in this game. By barely, I mean the characters generally jump what feels like half a head high. it's not that much of a problem, per se, but some people are used to having the high ground and being very vertically mobile and this game does not support that unless you're a character that has a jump boost of some type.

I agree with all of your post so I'm just replying to this part. I found it interesting for a game that seems to be a bit easier than the games people wish it had more in common with, Evie's left click actually boosts you in the air slightly like a plasma gun (or 5 percent of a rocket jump) in Quake. I doubt it's enough to be used too much mid game, but interesting to see. I hope they do some more of this to really raise the limit on possible 'skill caps' in this game. Pip's left click can damage himself too. Some of the weapons are actually really well done and fun, Drogoz? for example seems like the worst hero in the game, then you realize he's actually incredibly fun once you learn to 'flap' your wings with space bar, get your combo in the right order, spread it out more etc. I still think he suffers the same problem as most DPS: Even if they double the speed his right click travels at (and they need to badly) and reduce the time it takes for his ulti to channel he still just cannot help with objectives too much beyond flying up high and demolishing half the health bars of the enemy team.

I don't feel confident it's even a major problem in the game, it's more of a major problem only if the players do not learn the game. If everyone can learn that the DPS class in this game is for 1-2 people who are very very good at it and no one else, unranked and ranked would change a lot for the better. But I don't know, it seems unlikely they'll 'take away' the funnest simplest classes from new potential customers.

Oh and news from HiRez is that the previously removed hero I believe called Ying will be added in next patch.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sailor Dave posted:

Having a blast as Fernando, at least when my team is smart enough to actually get on the point with me.
Name's CorvidaeVN ingame.

Fernando is so good because shield blocks pretty much everything, including Skye's ult. Or at least, I'm pretty sure I've blocked it before.

This is my loadout currently:

Last Stand is REALLY good, getting those heals in while shielding is huge. I don't use the two charge cards much, I'm thinking about what to swap them out with.

Fernando owns, looks like he got a minor nerf but then it's more of a change than a nerf, I don't know. Seems like this is more focused on small balances than really loving with anyone. New hero out today/tomorrow? And a well needed Ruckus buff.

http://forums.paladins.com/showthread.php?13122-Open-Beta-34-Patch-Troublemaker

edit

Most interesting part for me as I like Grover:

Grohk
Healing Totem
Reduced healing per second from 400 to 340.

---

Grover
General
Increased Health from 2750 to 2900.
Reduced the size of Grover by 8%.
Whirlwind
Now plays an associated voice line when activated.
Cards
Verdant Expanse
Fixed an issue where the range increase would not apply to Blossom’s passive healing.

So Grohk gets a nerf, Grover becomes 8 percent harder to hit assuming his hitbox shrunk too, only 150 health buff but still something, and the card to extend his heal range now applies to both his AOE heal and his AOE passive heal. Seems good to me, since he was already good.

Skye's ulti got some kind of nerf where it still does a fuckload of damage but no longer has a DoT. Just gotta react fast, get out of the way, and only supports with no dodge/run/leap off cool down will get owned in one hit.

extra stout fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 28, 2016

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

The Jumpoff posted:

I didn't realize goons were playing this game. I've been enjoying it a fair bit (Bomb King/Ruckus/Grohk are all extremely my poo poo) and would like other people to play it with. I'm TheJumpoff in game if people wanna play. I didn't see anyone mention a discord/mumble server to use though so I'm curious what people use for voice comms?

Invited you to the group, I haven't been on but I'll add you in game in a second, name is LONGBEARD

Tsurupettan posted:

Anyone know when the discount on steam ends?

I nearly called this post lazy until I realized the sale ends in 12 hours, so even if you could have checked Steam I'm glad you asked, if anyone wants every champion current and future, 20? chests to open, a Fernando skin that is one of the only ones that they put real effort into in the game, and a fiery footed horse you should spend the 13 bucks now, I think it'll go to $20 tomorrow once the sale ends.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Neurolimal posted:

I was going to get Bomb King because I love Demoman, love his design, and love his VA, but decided to do the sensible good-guy thing and pick up a front-liner (Makoa, AKA Roadston)

What I'm saying is, I totally deserve a BK code, pls gief

I saw the amazon prime/twitch bomb king skin in game last night and if it makes you feel better: It is lovely marketing. Turns your bomb into a purple bomb with a twitch logo. Woo!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Ranked is somewhat more competitive, but still a joke. You can have a team with the 9th best tank, the 20th best healer, etc etc all on the leaderboards: And nobody knows what the gently caress they're doing or how to draft. They need to give skins or some poo poo as incentives for more people to try to play ranked.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

liddledragon posted:

I THINK I added you in game, but yeah already added you as a referrer. Could I get a group invite? IG: LiddleDragon Steam: vengefuldesires

Not finding you on Steam so maybe that's your log-in and not your name? But I'll add you in game for now.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Paladins update: Two patches later the old metagame is useless, match making is still a worse joke than even Dota 2, and I hate this loving game. Still very fun if you find a way to turn off your brain, click buttons, etc until you die irl

edit

I'm mad about video games, very sweaty because I went from being 14th in the world on grover to losing like 9 games in a row while my team mates go "DON'T WORRY I GET HEADSHOTS ON ANDROXUS XD"

Also add voice chat or at least all chat, I need to be able to belittle people for making me feel belittled

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Sputnik posted:

FYI, this weekend is double gold weekend, so for any newbies out there who want to try it, that means you can unlock new characters twice as fast! With a lack of new promo code options, this is as good as it gets!

(and, as always, new players should always have a referral from another goon, as it doesn't just help the referrer BUT THE REFERRED PLAYER ALSO GETS LOOT. You have 10 days from when your HiRez account is created to input a referral.)

Good post, also HiRez confirmed on Facebook that next weekend is double EXP weekend, which is probably much better for everyone. Get levels, get a free crate and it's the only way to get emotes without paying. Maybe get some more cards too, and also that will be the perfect weekend for everyone to get to level 15, get a few of your friends to 15, so we can all finally get some rewards other than gold coins.

My in game name is still LONGBEARD and one of you should be a cool and good dude and be my 5th referral to hit 15, I'm busy for most of tomorrow but will probably be on for a few games tomorrow night.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
The double exp weekend thing should be starting now, I saw the servers are going down for a patch or maintenance or some poo poo though. Haven't been playing much but this is a good weekend to play, too bad it's also loving Halloween where I have things to do.

Anyone know anything about the current ranked metagame? I went from 14th and platinum on Grover to losing like 7 in a row, seems like everyone plays Mal'Damba now, and even the DPS metagame has shifted. People are getting good at Drogoz, Call of Duty guy's damage is OP, and Grohk seems almost as forgotten as Grover. I forget her name, the new healer girl champion also took over the heal job. So basically all of the healing classes have been League of Legends'd out of the metagame.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Bloodmobile posted:

Grover is considered to be among the 3 weakest characters along with Ruckus and Skye. His heals are good but his damage is just too pitiful for him to be viable. If someone on the other team builds cauterize 3 you're literally useless.

Cassie, Androxus and Drogoz are considered the top-tier DPS characters. Cassie does less overall DPS than Viktor but with more range and obscene mobility and survivability with the cards that reduce roll cooldown and give lifesteal to the post-roll shot. Viktor's escape is really weak when you need to get away from danger quickly.

Grohk is still perfectly viable because of his ability to out-DPS any other healer in the game but Mal'Damba has better heals and the ability to deal good damage up close. Ying continues to be overpowered and the top priority pick alongside Fernando.

I agree with most of this, and while I hate HiRez and think they should all murder themselves until they delete Ying from the game and allow Grover to work in the metagame again, there is this thing I came here to post, so please feel free to organize a play date with other retarded adults, all males, who play this video game, and let's play it together to unlock crystals to unlock skins which are mostly still recolors of textures but we want them anyway

quote:

"Earn up to 225 Crystals this weekend by playing Paladins! Collect 75 Crystals for completing 3 First Wins of the Day EACH day, Friday through Sunday!"

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

JazzFlight posted:

Does this mean winning 3 times a day or winning 1 time a day?
How can you get 3 "first" wins in a day? :psyduck:

EDIT: I looked it up, looks like you get 25 crystals for each win up to 75 a day.
It should really be called first 3 wins, not 3 first wins.

I posted that before running out the door and didn't even notice how poorly it's phrased, which makes sense because the same people who wrote it balanced the current metagame and added an extra game mode that divides the queue time into 1/3rds instead of 1/2, and is not even fun or anything to justify it

But forget about that, are you poor? Do you have free time? Add LONGBEARD as your friend and as your referral and let's try to grind out some crystals before the last five of us playing quit this dead gay game!!!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rubellavator posted:

I've been playing this with some buds and enjoying it a lot. If anyone wants to play my IGN is greendevil23

I took a few months off but I actually like the new hero even though I've played here 3 times and can't remember if the name is Kyra or Tyra, the napalm nade being as big as the objective spot and also burning you too makes it a more interesting hero than viktor, also the gun shoots better in burst, easier than an AK in cs:go but harder than Viktor's constant bullshit accuracy.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
Haven't played this game in weeks but I just patched and saw you get a loot chest for your first win of the day this weekend, starting once the servers come back up, enjoy!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

DarklyDreaming posted:

Not gonna lie, I'm probably gonna have a blast with this dude:

But I'm not sure if I want to be lumped in with the people who typically play sniper

Reinstalled today after many months away, this fella looks fun to play. Not used to the stealth mechanic or awkward hotkeys, but he shoots simply and fun.

Is there any current list of in game names? I've still got the steam group POVERTY PALADINS, if anyone wants an invite and get it going again post here or tell me a better way to do it. Is the teamspeak or any voice chat group still going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Myriarch posted:

I've not played Talus, but I've not found him difficult to deal with, even as a support. Granted his escape gets him out before death, but if he's neutralized and his healer is dead that doesn't matter much.
Though I've been paired with 3 teams where the enemy Talus was constantly wrecking my partners (what's the matter? Just shoot him or move past him, he's way forward and can't really keep up with most of you) so maybe there's something there.

Also going quadruple tank on the small onslaught maps is hilarious

Can confirm: Talus is weak and Willo is insane, imagine Drogoz if you needed even less buttons and your abilities had bigger AOEs to reduce needing to bother with aiming much