Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMEgSLetjHw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=girSv9UH_V8

Director: Adam Wingard
Writer: Simon Barrett

Starring
Callie Hernandez
James Allen McCune
Brandon Scott
Wes Robinson
Corbin Reid

Originally announced as The Woods, Adam Wingard's latest has been revealed as a stealth continuation of the Blair Witch franchise. Following 1999's The Blair Witch Project and 2000's Book of Shadows: Blair Witch 2, a new group of young adults get themselves lost in the woods and subjected to various spooky happenings. You're Next was a fun take on the trapped-in-a-house-by-crazed-killers genre, and The Guest was a blast, and with the writer and director both back this one should have a lot to offer for boths fans of the franchise and horror fans in general.

Releases September 16

http://i.imgur.com/a4eSHwF.gifv

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
reserved for whatever dumb poo poo I come up with later.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Jst0rm posted:

reserved for whatever dumb poo poo I come up with later.

You're the guy who works on Wingard's films right? I'm looking forward to this one, and I hope it gets a wide enough release that I can see it in theaters.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

CopywrightMMXI posted:

You're the guy who works on Wingard's films right? I'm looking forward to this one, and I hope it gets a wide enough release that I can see it in theaters.

I think it's gonna get a big push. We will see though. I'm gonna keep away from any spoiler talk which means I can't say really anything at this point.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
I loved The Guest and You're Next, so I'm intrigued, especially by the claim that it's "the next genre-defying movie like Paranormal Activity". Looking forward to seeing more!

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
I worked in a concession booth at a theater for two years and it left me with a hatred of movies and the people who go to see movies but SA turned me on to The Guest recently and through that You're Next and I will definitely go see this movie.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I loved both The Guest and You're Next (as have all the people I've shown them to, although that might have to do with me only recommending it to people who share tastes in movies with me), so I'm pretty excited to see this. I'm trying to avoid watching trailers and whatnot, so maybe even following this thread will be a bad idea.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Not only do I enjoy horror, The Guest, and You're Next, but The Woods is my favorite Sleater-Kinney album. I'm just going to go ahead and attribute that to this completely unrelated movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Isn't there like 6 different movies with the name The Woods in fact i think Lucky McKee even made a movie called The Woods. It looks good but seriously that was all they could come up with for a movie title?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
So far it looks like the quality of Adam Wingard's movies are inversely related to the originality of his movie titles. This is the guy whose previous movies were called "You're Next" and "The Guest".

Looking forward to his future movies The Place, The River, You're Dead, The House, You Die and The Guy.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
:) Fun reading these comments...

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

If you're in this thread and haven't seen The Guest, it's currently streaming on American Netflix, so you should go watch it. It's great.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

So far it looks like the quality of Adam Wingard's movies are inversely related to the originality of his movie titles. This is the guy whose previous movies were called "You're Next" and "The Guest".

Looking forward to his future movies The Place, The River, You're Dead, The House, You Die and The Guy.

I've been wanting to add those to my list for a Vague Title Horror Movie Marathon night, so I legit hope this happens.

So far I've got:
It
Them
The Thing
They Live

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

sticklefifer posted:

I've been wanting to add those to my list for a Vague Title Horror Movie Marathon night, so I legit hope this happens.

So far I've got:
It
Them
The Thing
They Live

It Follows

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I know this isn't just a horror movie thing but jesus, every single time someone wants to hard sell their horror movie the pull quote is always "The Scariest Film. OF ALL TIME."

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
"Go see the Woods, it's like, pretty good. Probably better than what you were planning on watching anyways."

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism

sticklefifer posted:

So far I've got:
It
Them
The Thing
They Live

The Stuff

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sir Kodiak posted:

If you're in this thread and haven't seen The Guest, it's currently streaming on American Netflix, so you should go watch it. It's great.

Oh cool I liked You're Next a lot and I didn't know there was another movie by the same team. Gonna check it out

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm mainly wondering what possible conceit could be central to this film so as to be "genre-defining" the way Blair Witch was. I feel like the answer to that is going to disappoint me.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I know this isn't just a horror movie thing but jesus, every single time someone wants to hard sell their horror movie the pull quote is always "The Scariest Film. OF ALL TIME."

Aside from the clickbait aspects of a pull quote like that, people are real drat bad at putting intense emotional reactions into a broader context. No movie is scaring me as much as The Woods right now, so...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sticklefifer posted:

I'm mainly wondering what possible conceit could be central to this film so as to be "genre-defining" the way Blair Witch was. I feel like the answer to that is going to disappoint me.

I'm worried it's going to be some stupid bullshit like there's a framing device or it's Cabin in the Woods all over again etc.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Considering You're Next was Wingard and Barrett delivering a lot of the same broad metanarrative points as Cabin in the Woods but with like ten times the nuance and insight, I'm not that worried

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

sticklefifer posted:

hehehe... Give it a bit more time guys. All will be revealed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope it's not about an Alien who brings people down into it's secret government funded Dulce-like base to turn them into rat people. If it is, I'm gonna be pissed because I wanted to make that movie. :v:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The twist is that it's not even a horror movie at all!

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Jenny Angel posted:

Considering You're Next was Wingard and Barrett delivering a lot of the same broad metanarrative points as Cabin in the Woods but with like ten times the nuance and insight, I'm not that worried

You're Next was Home Alone: All Growed Up.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
After how much the Guest and You're Next owned, I'm not at all concerned about the marketing for this one. I just hope I get a chance to see this one in a theater.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Tickets for Friday's screening will be available at the Lionsgate Comic-Con booth (#4045). They may go quick, so if you have a badge, I highly recommend you pick some up early so you can come out and see our movie! - sb

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Jst0rm how about you leak the film just to me, I'll give u $6 & record a scream on my laptop mic that'll be yours royalty free.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hat Thoughts posted:

Jst0rm how about you leak the film just to me, I'll give u $6 & record a scream on my laptop mic that'll be yours royalty free.

Ill take that scream regardless ;)

Yuo dont want my copy. Its got tc and marks all over it and its not color corrected ;)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I attribute this to the fact that on most horror discussion forums, the only two consistent threads are "WHAT MOVIES ARE ACTUALLY SCARY?!?" and "WHAT IS THE MOST EXTREME MOVIE?!?".

Because those two things are super important you see.

Jst0rm posted:

Ill take that scream regardless ;)

Be careful when seeking out the perfect scream ...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Welp, the movie isn't actually called The Woods, it's Blair Witch.
http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3400062/the-woods-actually-the-blair-witch-project/

Jst0rm posted:

Makes sense in context now.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 23, 2016

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I'm even more hyped now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I'm even more hyped now.

I am having a real hard time believing this is actually happening (Not so much that there is a new Blair Witch but the fact Wingard is actually doing it)
I am really excited for this. Blair Witch is probably one of my favorite movies.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jst0rm posted:

You sneaky fucker.

I'm so pumped for this.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
what the fuuuuuuuuuck

okay, the lovely blair witch trailer has a whole new context now

edit: now I'm even more excited for this

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 23, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Holy poo poo, gently caress yes. I wonder if he's still gonna play with horror movie conventions/tropes, or just make a more traditional all out scary movie now that it's Blair Witch themed.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

okay, the lovely blair witch trailer has a whole new context now

Wait there was a lovely Blair Witch trailer?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I had not realized there was that much enthusiasm for a return to the Blair Witch franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maaaannn....

• Locked thread