Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

a personal favorite of mine, The Execution of Gary Glitter.

Hold the phone. This is a real flick? Tracking down a copy of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

Hold the phone. This is a real flick? Tracking down a copy of this.

Fuckin A right it's real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPtEWA2BzZQ

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

I'm so glad you post here. You're taste matches up with mine so well. I watch almost everything you recommend. This looks awesome. Why was I sick the last two days, could have watched this at home!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Same actually. I learned about a lot of movies I never even knew existed thanks to CD.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

As soon as work stops taking 90% of my life I'm going to check out those suggestions.

I'm both thrilled and not that basketball season is starting up again. Nothing like making 140 gallons of kettle pop.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

MacheteZombie posted:

I'm so glad you post here. You're taste matches up with mine so well. I watch almost everything you recommend. This looks awesome. Why was I sick the last two days, could have watched this at home!

Sharing this sentiment right now, lot of really cool horror I wouldve never seen if not for this forum.

More on the movie, joining in on the "it happens to them because they believe it will" I thought it was a neat that Lane (Lain??) Points out theres debate about whether or not rustin parr killed kids in the attic or basement and of course we end up in the attic later. The last 30 minutes almost feels like a mess of theories and explanations people have come up with over the years both within the movies universe and real life.

We even got a dang slender man and ufo lights in there!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

LividLiquid posted:

Nothing wasn't not suggesting it, either, as who he hosed wasn't important to the books, but knowing that one of your childhood heroes is gay is kind of a huge deal for a lot of us queerfolk, so needlessly making GBS threads on it is a little irksome.

And saying "that wasn't the wtich" lends credence to the theory that the woods will show you whatever fear you have about them, which would explain why the powers the "witch" has are different between movies.

The books do very lightly imply that Dumbledore hosed wizard Hitler.

moths posted:

That's kind of a wag-the-dog reading though. Once you accept the premise that it shows people their fears, we have to assume what we are being shown is more than disconnected, unrelated witch-theme crap thrown on-screen.

There's absolutely nothing to indicate anyone was afraid of the wiggly-witch before her appearance. And that monster's "don't look at me" nonsense was attributed to both the witch and Rustin. Everything about the attic sequence suggests creepypasta over thematically consistency.

No, John. You are the demons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I would pay cash money for a copy of that VHS. That's an extremely rare film that you should digitize or something.

Two seconds of Google later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSv9baM4ns

You're welcome. :)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

precision posted:

Two seconds of Google later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HSv9baM4ns

You're welcome. :)

Unfortunately, that's the director's cut. The TV cut is half an hour shorter, and is actually much better edited.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah okay. Thats what's been tripping me up when you keep saying it's rare.

I get you now.

I'm also gonna remake that movie one day.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Was there ever anything else similar to that, other than the fact that it's apparently a remake of a 1989 version? I remember another alien abduction found footage thing on TV, but the only thing I remember specifically was very bright lights shining into the house and a shot of 2 or 3 aliens inside the house, and they looked like typical grey aliens and not the things you see at the end of that. It would have also been in the mid-90s, and kid me thought it was real. It was probably this and I just remembered it incorrectly.

Also if you want a modern, very well done alien abduction found footage film, watch the final segment of VHS 2. Oh, and the one before it is insane as well.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Caught this yesterday and I really enjoyed it.

I cannot deny the faults brought up in the thread by people less enthused by the film, but it just clicked for me. I think I went in trying or intending to enjoy it more as a mood/sensation piece than a story or plot-driven film just because my memories of the original were of a movie in which not much happens but the experience of it was tense and scary nonetheless. The idea of the dark woods as a place that amplifies your fears totally resonates with me and I thought that part was done well.

Specifically, I thought they did a great job of making it feel like something tall and terrifying was just kind of loping through the woods out of sight. Everything in the house was great, I loved the confusing geometry of the house and the way it was just this nexus of terrible visions. The tunnel scene was the worst for me as I am claustrophobic and I was crawling out of my skin when she was stuck. I thought the brief glimpses of Slenderwoman were great and a lesser filmmaker would've shown EVERYTHING so I'm glad Wingard kept her veiled throughout.

As for what I didn't like? The "shaky running through woods" lasted a little too long and the fake video artifacting/glitching was a little overdone. It actually makes me accept the found footage aspect LESS. Like, I can commit to the POV style and the contrivance of found footage just fine, but for some reason the glitchy bits remind me it's "fake".

Other than that, I found it pretty effective and eerie as an experience, very nightmarish. It's a "lesser" Wingard, but I appreciate his willingness to play and experiment and try things. He's definitely a favorite up-and-comer for me.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

mary had a little clam posted:

As for what I didn't like? The "shaky running through woods" lasted a little too long and the fake video artifacting/glitching was a little overdone. It actually makes me accept the found footage aspect LESS. Like, I can commit to the POV style and the contrivance of found footage just fine, but for some reason the glitchy bits remind me it's "fake".

I was introduced to Wingard through the V/H/S series, which made the mishandling of the found footage aspect of Blair Witch particularly jarring. Part of the reason I went to see the film was "That guy from V/H/S is doing the Blair Witch sequel!"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

Videogames really do make any discussion worse.

When it comes to ghost stories/movies that have a "the ghost makes you a little scared in order to make you really scared" component, my playing of the obscure game Ghost Master informs said movies significantly.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Going to post in this thread real late to say I only just caught this and wanted to like it more than I did. I usually like what Wingard and Barrat come up with, but this didn't quite do it for me. In part because it seemed like they were holding stuff back for a sequel. Their commentary kind of confirms this and hints that had there been a sequel then you would've seen more of Peter, who they seem to build up quite a bit only to take him out early one.

Also, they cut out an early scene with Lane and his girlfriend where they talk about what is and isn't 'real' when it comes to the Witch, which I think would've helped people with the ending. It sort of implies that the whole thing just takes on its own mythology, which is in the film anyway to a degree.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is the commentary worth a listen? I work next door to a rental store and will rent it if so

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Len posted:

Is the commentary worth a listen? I work next door to a rental store and will rent it if so

Eh...no. Wingard and Barrett actually come off hilariously bitter. Some people have been really annoyed by it. It was basically recorded as the movie came out long enough for them to see it was a flop, and so they spend a lot of time complaining about how people didn't go and see it. So it veers between some interesting stuff and then "Well you didn't see it opening weekend so gently caress you". They explicitly state that the explanation for the lights you see outside the house would've been elaborated on but now they're not going to explain it. There's some interesting tidbits, but it's not worth going out of your way to listen.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

drat I was hoping there would have been some neat information given ):

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is this out at Redbox now? I'd been meaning to catch it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

Eh...no. Wingard and Barrett actually come off hilariously bitter. Some people have been really annoyed by it. It was basically recorded as the movie came out long enough for them to see it was a flop, and so they spend a lot of time complaining about how people didn't go and see it. So it veers between some interesting stuff and then "Well you didn't see it opening weekend so gently caress you". They explicitly state that the explanation for the lights you see outside the house would've been elaborated on but now they're not going to explain it.

That's some mind boggling self-entitlement there on their parts. gently caress those guys.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

DrVenkman posted:

Eh...no. Wingard and Barrett actually come off hilariously bitter. Some people have been really annoyed by it. It was basically recorded as the movie came out long enough for them to see it was a flop, and so they spend a lot of time complaining about how people didn't go and see it. So it veers between some interesting stuff and then "Well you didn't see it opening weekend so gently caress you". They explicitly state that the explanation for the lights you see outside the house would've been elaborated on but now they're not going to explain it. There's some interesting tidbits, but it's not worth going out of your way to listen.

God this makes me dislike the movie even more.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

That's some mind boggling self-entitlement there on their parts. gently caress those guys.

I'm sure their "explanation" would have been dumb and probably not very creative anyway, so gently caress them.

It's pretty clear that the house exists in some place that is separate from time as we know it, so the lights were probably like their own flashlights running through the woods a day earlier or some bullshit.

There, I just explained it, probably just as well as they would have.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure their "explanation" would have been dumb and probably not very creative anyway, so gently caress them.

The thing is, I don't give a poo poo about that.

They're acting like douches because people didn't like their bad reboot and decided to punish and lash out at people who actually did apparently give a poo poo. So once again: gently caress those guys.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

They're acting like douches because people didn't like their bad reboot and decided to punish and lash out at people who actually did apparently give a poo poo. So once again: gently caress those guys.

Yeah seriously. Was going to post the same.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

To be fair I've probably made it sound worse than it is. There are points where they clearly have their tongue in cheek and I doubt they were ever going to give things away in the commentary, but they go back to that well too many times.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

To be fair I've probably made it sound worse than it is. There are points where they clearly have their tongue in cheek and I doubt they were ever going to give things away in the commentary, but they go back to that well too many times.

Yea I'd expect there to be at least some sarcasm involved, because I'd think a legit movie director like Wingard to understand that most people who saw Blair Witch don't give a poo poo about whatever little tidbit of extra lore he was going to "elaborate on" in a commentary track.

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
my favorite part of this movie was the haunted, flying tent. I want a ghost tent spin off film

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Trollipop posted:

my favorite part of this movie was the haunted, flying tent. I want a ghost tent spin off film

I too enjoy campy horror movies

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quote-Unquote posted:

I too enjoy campy horror movies

Holy poo poo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just got done watching this, I liked it! I think it did a good job of balancing showing new stuff while also keeping a lot unseen.

I will say that nearly everything that happened with Ashley felt weirdly executed and didn't have a whole lot of payoff. Like her foot gets infected and we see something weird pulsing in her foot and that goes nowhere, her leg spurts a shitload of pus because I guess we needed a gross-out gag for some reason, and her death gets telegraphed from a mile away the moment she started climbing the tree.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I just got done watching this, I liked it! I think it did a good job of balancing showing new stuff while also keeping a lot unseen.

I will say that nearly everything that happened with Ashley felt weirdly executed and didn't have a whole lot of payoff. Like her foot gets infected and we see something weird pulsing in her foot and that goes nowhere, her leg spurts a shitload of pus because I guess we needed a gross-out gag for some reason, and her death gets telegraphed from a mile away the moment she started climbing the tree.

Yeah, that was weird. I thought she was going to start sprouting one of those tree figures inside of her and then it went nowhere.

My initial impression after it was over was "ehhhhhhhh" but with some distance from it now I like a lot of the elements and ideas, even if they weren't executed as well as I would have hoped.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
E: turns out I just needed to restart the computer.

To add content to this, the commentary is deliciously salty. Almost as salty as Book of Shadow's commentary, which the director starts off saying "the execs hosed my movie" and gets more hostile as it goes on.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 16, 2017

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Why does it sound like a bone cracking every time Ashley's foot hurts.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

IMB posted:

stock_pain_noise.wav

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

stock_pain_noise.wav

She's like a Mortal Kombat character

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

IMB posted:

It's the sound of a branch breaking, part of the overall point that there's nothing 'actually' there. It's all fear and misperception.

The image of her leg, combined with the sound of the branch, is enough to make the injury seem cartoonishly bad - not only for the audience but for the other characters.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's the sound of a branch breaking, part of the overall point that there's nothing 'actually' there. It's all fear and misperception.

The image of her leg, combined with the sound of the branch, is enough to make the injury seem cartoonishly bad - not only for the audience but for the other characters.

I like it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
that's absolutely not what they were going for but they made the whole thing vague enough so you can say "you can't prove that it isn't". The fact that they straight up said "yeah there's meaning behind this but the film didn't do well so now we're not going to tell you" only further supports that there isn't any deeper meaning.

The cameras were able to record her infection so that kills the idea that they're delusional and creating it in their head. Did the witch/supernatural entity also magically manipulate their cameras to film what they are seeing in their minds?

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I mean the end of the film is the same footage they watch to get there in the first place. It's magic. It doesn't make sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

that's absolutely not what they were going for but they made the whole thing vague enough so you can say "you can't prove that it isn't". The fact that they straight up said "yeah there's meaning behind this but the film didn't do well so now we're not going to tell you" only further supports that there isn't any deeper meaning.

The cameras were able to record her infection so that kills the idea that they're delusional and creating it in their head. Did the witch/supernatural entity also magically manipulate their cameras to film what they are seeing in their minds?

The film is a hybrid of pseudo-documentary films like Blair Witch and 'immersive' POV films like Maniac. The supernatural events appear exclusively on the footage from the bluetooth headset cameras. Other cameras - the drone, the handheld cameras, the trail cams - pick up absolutely nothing unusual. This is on the surface: different types of footage stand for different things.

The 'objective' documentary footage (there is nothing supernatural, they are just being scared by animal sounds and whatever) is in collision with the subjective fiction (the character is hunted by her literalized nightmare of a witch that appears onscreen). The film expresses this concept through the fictional conceit that these specific headset cams can record hallucinations. Much is made of the headcams' 'sci-fi' properties, like that they are all connected to central hub via GPS - information that has no bearing on the plot.

• Locked thread