Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Kin posted:

And that's why it doesn't work in a found footage film because the core premise of that type of film is its ability to suspend disbelief.
I really, really want to see this film because I loved the original, but really don't want to see it because the trailers made it really obvious this film has a ton of unambiguously supernatural stuff it in, and with a couple of exceptions stuff like that tends to snap me out of a movie. Plus with the comments in here it sounds kinda cliched, derivative and lazy, which is a shame, because...

Jst0rm posted:

hehehe... Give it a bit more time guys. All will be revealed.
Is this film a run of the mill jump-scare horror or does it actually do something new with the genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah there is. Stuff happens in the first film that cannot be explained by an entirely unsupported hillbilly theory. Unless you're of the opinion that a bunch of people can build a house in the woods that a search party can't find, make compasses not work, or build piles of rocks outside campsites without waking people up (which even the filmmakers couldn't do, tacos tacos).

E: Not to mention the advertising special they did. The tapes were found in a location that was impossible to have been disturbed for centuries.
That's still not unambiguously supernatural though, just unexplainable. I'm just disappointed you see the 'witch' etc in this because I tend to lose interest in horror films once visual supernatural stuff happens, because it's rarely ever scary and almost always dumb lookin. Plus I just find the mystery of things to be way spookier. To be fair though despite it being one of my fave films I kinda lose interest in Alien after the chest-burster scene for this reason. All personal taste though.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

Bit of a spoiler here if you haven't seen it, but Barrett says what you see isn't exactly what you think.

http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/191494/simon-barrett-teases-massive-blair-witch-shocker/
LOL he's literally pulling a No Mans Sky. 'no no no this movie totally isnt paper thin, it's really deep and interesting! I can't tell you why cos it would ruin it but trust me guys!'

I'm frustrated because I really want to see this film as I'll probably like bits of it but by buying a ticket I'm saying 'please keep making this garbage' and I don't want to do that.

• Locked thread