Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
This was essentially a soft-reboot of the original film, aimed at people who complained that "nothing happened" in the original. Echoing other sentiments, the original works so well because it's very easy to suspend disbelief that what you're watching is real footage (if you have any imagination at all). This was very much a slick, modern horror film just done in first person with more than normal amounts of shaky cam. The higher production values take you right out of it feeling real. As a modern, fun horror film I do think it works reasonably well, if only because the final 30 minutes are very intense and effective. This would fit right in as a segment in VHS 1 and 2.

Another thing that helps drive home the realism of the original is that the characters look like real, average college students. Here, they're very much generic pretty Hollywood horror film types, though i thought the main girl's performance in the final 20 minutes or so of the film was excellent, especially her wavering voice in the final moments. Hated that the black couple was there just to die first, of course.

Speaking of those final moments, the decision to have her turn around only a minute after her friend fell for the same trick was baffling, even more so than the missed opportunities with the drone. I was totally expecting an intense, drawn out sequence where she would attempt to slowly make her way out of the house backwards and staring at walls/through the handheld cam, all shot from the ear camera POV, only to have it become increasingly difficult to not look at the witch, but instead it was like, ehh, gently caress it, end it here.

I liked that they showed the witch, but just barely. You know if they hadn't then everyone would have bitched about not seeing anything once again.

Agreed that the sound design is excellent, but out of place in this movie. If this is supposed to be found footage, then there shouldn't be all these sound enhancements since they, along with the slick video production, take you out of it feeling real. As RedLetterMedia pointed out, its kind of stupid to have them say "I think I heard something outside" and then have a massive explosion noise follow.

The feeling of being hopelessly lost and deep, deep into the woods wasn't effectively portrayed here and that was a big aspect of the uneasy feeling in the original, where it took several days and nights to establish, and time and space fuckery is only ever hinted at.

SweetMercifulCrap! fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing I can think of that they changed/modified was staring at the wall because "she can't get you if you don't look at her"

Before, the killer, either the witch or Rustin Parr, forced the other victim to face the wall while they killed the other.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's funny that they put in literally 100% more visuals and things happening in this vs. the original but apparently it still wasn't enough for ADHD audiences. It bothers me that people still don't "get" found footage movies after all this time. I don't see how you couldn't enjoy or get a thrill out of the final 20-30 minutes at least.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

moths posted:

"Project" was also in the title, suggesting something people worked on. For all we know there was never even a murder house to burn down.

?? It's because they were doing a film project for school.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
"You guys its totally NOT the Blair Witch, even though that was one of the few interesting things about this movie, we want you to keep thinking about this and make it really convoluted even though it's not supposed to be"

I'm sure they just said this in hopes that nerds will keep discussing and debating the vague lore the franchise has instead of the film being forgotten in a month.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
All of the lore both in the films and viral marketing says that Elly was the "witch", there can be an evil presence in the woods controlling her but she's still "the witch". Saying that the thing you saw in the movie that you had every right to assume was the witch wasn't the witch is a really stupid way to drum up publicity and only hurts this movie overall.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Was there ever anything else similar to that, other than the fact that it's apparently a remake of a 1989 version? I remember another alien abduction found footage thing on TV, but the only thing I remember specifically was very bright lights shining into the house and a shot of 2 or 3 aliens inside the house, and they looked like typical grey aliens and not the things you see at the end of that. It would have also been in the mid-90s, and kid me thought it was real. It was probably this and I just remembered it incorrectly.

Also if you want a modern, very well done alien abduction found footage film, watch the final segment of VHS 2. Oh, and the one before it is insane as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
that's absolutely not what they were going for but they made the whole thing vague enough so you can say "you can't prove that it isn't". The fact that they straight up said "yeah there's meaning behind this but the film didn't do well so now we're not going to tell you" only further supports that there isn't any deeper meaning.

The cameras were able to record her infection so that kills the idea that they're delusional and creating it in their head. Did the witch/supernatural entity also magically manipulate their cameras to film what they are seeing in their minds?

• Locked thread