Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope it's not about an Alien who brings people down into it's secret government funded Dulce-like base to turn them into rat people. If it is, I'm gonna be pissed because I wanted to make that movie. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Maaaannn....

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh good, I forgot about this thread. It's an okay movie. I think at the end of the day, the thing that keeps it from not holding up as great in my eyes is it not feeling authentic. Wingard talked about it in the live Q&A that he wanted a balance between cinematic and found footage and that it would be something new, but I think he hasn't seen the worst this genre has to offer because that's exactly what they all do. They shoot with film quality cameras, they light the shots as they would a regular film, they often frame the shots like regular films. The only difference between a modern found footage film and a hand held shot movie is the FF is just a lil bit shakier.

What makes TBWP work so well, even to this day, is how real it looks. You could imagine this being a real tape. It's not that hard. You never get the sense that filmmakers made this. And that's why it works. While I think a lot of the new Blair Witch works, the overall aesthetic kinda dulls it down a bit. I mean I know they're not using RED cameras and stuff, and this day and age, people shooting birthday parties will add a cinematic flair, but it still takes you out. I wish they would've shot the whole film using the DV camera.

Since I'm on the subject of the stuff I didn't like, I'm adding that loving drone to the list. That drone could've been used to do pretty cool things, but it just didn't. It just fell in a tree and set up a jump scare. I was real disappointed at that.

I liked the characters for the most part. They were fairly likable. But outside of Peter and Lane, they never felt all that strong. Like who was the main character? As a person? I dunno. He misses his sister I guess. The main girl kinda likes the main character. Not so great.

But the end though! From the twig snapping scene to the end credits it's a blast! Especially the quick shot of.....something. Whatever it was. Creeped me the gently caress out.

It's a decent flick. Maybe worth checking at a matinee or when you're bored one night and one a fun horror flick to check out. Really great sound design. But it's nothing I'd go out of your way to see.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean, the only way this could've been as unique as the original is if they got a bunch of random kids, shoved them into the woods and started loving with them without their knowledge. Pretty much the same thing they did in the original except no notes and no direction. Just 3 days of terrorizing people.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This movie already happened. And it's just a love letter to the original by two filmmakers who are fans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's the Aliens to Blair Witch Project's Alien. It has to be basically an action movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MisterBibs posted:

I don't understand how you can come out of the first one and not understand that something supernatural happened. There's no evidence that anyone went out there to gently caress with the kids; if anything they make it clear that the people of the town wouldn't do it. Either they don't believe in the Blair Witch, or they do believe and aren't about to start poking the Witch's backside.

A bunch of rednecks can't build a house that was burned down 50 years prior, or make someone's mechanical compass not work. When a movie has the word Witch in the title, and you don't see people being the culprit, there's a loving Witch in the movie.

Unrelated, does anyone know the URL for the original Blair Witch thread?

There's no evidence that a bunch of hillbillies didn't gently caress with them either. Or Josh might've been loving with them. You don't know! You will never know! It's up to you! You believe it's a witch? Awesome! You believe it's an Alien? gently caress why not! There's no answer and thats why TBWP owns.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the witch is actually an alien.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He's stuck inside his own nightmare.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Only if it's an Alien. Other wise no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ah okay. Thats what's been tripping me up when you keep saying it's rare.

I get you now.

I'm also gonna remake that movie one day.

• Locked thread