Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
If you had asked me like a week ago if I wanted a new Blair Witch movie I'd have laughed in your face, but put Wingard behind it and It's my most anticipated movie of the year. I'm still kind of hoping they dropped the found footage aspect, but I know they didn't because it's loving Blair Witch. Either way, I've been waiting for this since The Guest came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Well that's a bummer. Going to check it out tomorrow night still but I was hoping for some kind of spin on it like You're Next had. I guess once it's a legit licensed Blair Witch movie you only have so much wiggle room.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Caught it Friday night and I hate to admit I'm pretty disappointed in it. It felt like they rushed the initial slowly losing sanity bits and wasted some potential there. The whole thing felt like it could have benefited from some breathing room. There were some really creepy bits (twig snap, "you look exactly how I remember you") but coming off of Wingard last two movies it feels really boring.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Heh. If you actually paid attention you'd have realized it was all a dream.

I'm all for reading into poo poo but man you are reaching.

My real secret theory: a witch did it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ok, so what is her motive.

Why is she using her virtual omnipotence to make coyote sounds & knock over tents, instead of simply becoming a millionaire.

For your reading to be stronger, it needs to be able to account for more textual evidence.

She doesn't like people cause they killed her. She wants to be alone. She is an unknowable force of evil born of the evil of man. It's spooky.

Take your pick.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

a cop posted:

The whole 'sun never comes up' bit should have had so much more weight than it did. If they'd developed the characters more and built tension better it could have been so effective. I hate all the wasted potential more than anything.

Totally agree. That and the different characters experiencing time differently was pretty creepy concepts but they didn't do anything with it. It was only 89 minutes long, they absolutely could have had a slower ramp up to the craziness at the end and it would have been much more effective. It went from "eh, sorta spooky noises" to "well they're hosed as hell, the tents were just ripped into the sky" in like a minute. I love a quick "get in get out" movie with a lean run time if it is super effective in what it wants to do but here I don't really know what they wanted to do.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah that's a really lame way to drum up speculation and publicity. Oh OK, the monster witch lady wasn't the witch even though nothing in the movie suggests that isn't the case. Whatever. It's like JK Rowling adding that dumbledore was gay after the books were over even though nothing ever suggests this in books. Ooh ya got me person who wrote this fictional work. I'm a loving rube for assuming that the witch monster thing was the witch.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
If it's supposed to be Elly and not "the witch," that would be like having Rustin Parr show up and and then saying, actually you didn't see the child murderer! You made up another secret character, owning everyone who watched the movie. Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I mean the end of the film is the same footage they watch to get there in the first place. It's magic. It doesn't make sense.

• Locked thread