Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Seeing this after work tonight. I'm psyched because Blair Witch Project is my second favourite horror ever, behind The Exorcist. I really hope it doesn't suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Just saw this at the cinema and overall really liked it. Not as great as the original, but a lot of fun with an interesting cast. A bit heavy on really dumb jump scares, but there's a nice bit where a character openly calls out how stupid the unearned scares are, and they stop... Then poo poo gets real crazy. Like the intensity of the original film's ending amped up full.

Great use of time and space fuckery like the original (and the sequel) and a bit of expanding on the mythology which was nice.

Criminally underused drone camera though. So much cool stuff could've been done and they do nothing with it.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

toiletbrush posted:

Is this film a run of the mill jump-scare horror or does it actually do something new with the genre?

There are a few dumb jump scares, almost all of which are from someone approaching somebody else without announcing their presence and then the person suddenly shrieking when they realise someone is nearby. I liked the little bit of fourth-wall breaking where a character openly says "Will everyone please stop doing that?!" and then everything goes loving crazy.

I really like the time/space fuckery in this movie, but I generally love stuff like that (Grave Encounters, The Shining, House of Leaves) and it genuinely creeps me out. And the last 20 minutes or so are some of the most intense scenes I've seen in a horror movie since Evidence (the found footage one from 2012, not the 2013 murder mystery thingy). It's nothing new, but it took a whole bunch of stuff from films that I already liked and mashed it together into some gloriously tense insanity.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

FreudianSlippers posted:

A movie about a witch succeeding in the world of business by using her dark powers to rig the stock market or something would be pretty rad though.

They should've done that more in The Omen III. The Antichrist manipulating the world markets and governments is more interesting than killing every baby in England because one of them might be Jesus.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Trollipop posted:

my favorite part of this movie was the haunted, flying tent. I want a ghost tent spin off film

I too enjoy campy horror movies

• Locked thread