Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I'm going to see it this Saturday. I perused the RT reviews so far and most people who did not like it said that the biggest problem is that it's too much like the original, which is funny since all the glowing reviews we saw early on spoke about reinventing the horror genre and stuff.

But still, I'm excited because I like found footage movies and if the movie is "The Blair Witch Project but with more scares" then that's fine with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The thought of being stuck in the woods at night for eternity with a horrible witch stalking you is actually pretty terrifying.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I had mixed feelings about the movie. Somebody said that this is the "Aliens" to Blair Witch Project's "Alien" and that is probably the best description. It's balls to the walls with the supernatural elements and doesn't leave any room for interpretation.

I thought that it would have been interesting to keep going with the Lane and Talia might be behind the whole thing angle. They started down that road and I got excited about the premise, but they confirmed there is an actual witch fairly early on.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

toiletbrush posted:

Is this film a run of the mill jump-scare horror or does it actually do something new with the genre?

There is nothing new about it that I can think of, but the last 30 minutes are very frantic and stressful and I enjoyed that.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

When the pink-haired girl is killed, it's ambiguous as to whether she was struck or not. That's the logic this film is working with: each individual event is only slightly exaggerated beyond plausibility. So, shoving a girl causes her spine to break. The footage at the start of the film is not just similar but identical. Noises are amplified, and so-on. And that has a cumulative effect.

I know you do your own thing or whatever, but you missed what happened in this scene. There was nothing ambiguous about it. She died because Ashley broke the totem that had her pink hair tied to it. That was confirmation that there is an actual witch with actual magical powers. The little figures made of sticks are voodoo dolls. Breaking the Talia voodoo doll = breaking her back in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No, I didn't miss that plot point. I'm talking about how it's filmed: as a mid shot, camera whipping around violently, characters lunging at eachother while screaming accusations, etc. While you can absolutely grab the blu-ray and go frame-by-frame to get a clear look at 'what really happened', the basic joke of the opening scene is that 'getting a better look' at the supernatural thing this way will actually distort your understanding of events and cause the narrative to make less sense.

Every effect in the film is deliberately ambiguous that way. Like people complain that the 'witch' makes loud screams, but those are animal noises: coyotes or foxes, and things of that sort. Why does the witch sound like some coyotes? Simply because it is just some coyotes - and they're causing the characters to freak out, to imagine that they hear human laughter.

The conceit of the film is that, in this mysterious Zone, your hallucinations become real. But that means, in order for these things to occur, you must first hallucinate. That's also why the witch can't hurt people who stay calm.

Your imagination is incredible :stare:

• Locked thread