Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Emissary666 posted:

The only thing she keeps bringing up is Ashley (the black girl) and her foot/leg wound and how she thinks it went nowhere. She really wants to know what other people thought about it (probably because it was the only thing she kept her eyes even slightly open for)

This is what I came into the Blair Witch thread to look for. Ashley had a foot injury, then it moved up to her shin (by witchcraft or continuity error), and then she pulled a fish skeleton out of it?

And it gave her a bad infection and the power to snap people in half? But her powers left after pulling the fish bones out of her leg, which was emphasised by her getting the only mundane "natural causes" death of the film.
(And it happens while doing something effortless if she had used The Force.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That whole thing with the foot seemed like an artifact from a previous draft of the script. I was also disappointed that with all the implied time fuckery Darkweb666 didn't become Rustin Parr and we never saw the village of Blair. I was almost expecting an Evil Dead 2 ending where one of the girls gets mistakenly executed by the village as the original Blair Witch. (Since they foreshadowed that horrible death, the witch protested that she was innocent, and the one girl was developing Sith powers.)

As for the "UFO," I think it was supposed to be a single lightning bolt, incredibly slowed down because the house exists outside of normal time when the witch is near. Which I liked as a small detail, and then wish the movie had been given as much care

I was also annoyed that the sole purpose of the tunnels was to remind us that The Descent was a better movie.

MisterBibs posted:

A bunch of rednecks can't build a house that was burned down 50 years prior, or make someone's mechanical compass not work. When a movie has the word Witch in the title, and you don't see people being the culprit, there's a loving Witch in the movie.

"Project" was also in the title, suggesting something people worked on. For all we know there was never even a murder house to burn down.

As fir the rest, it wouldn't be the first horror movie where people crack under stress and act out roles from a legend.

moths fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 25, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

:ssh: Horror movies have used deliberately misleading titles before.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I just saw a kind of terrible YouTube video that explains the read where nothing supernatural happens in the first movie. It makes more sense than most crackpot YouTube videos, the premise is that the two guys conspire to murder Heather, using a local legend to both throw off suspicion and explain their own disappearance.

It seems to make sense, except for some obvious problems ("Let's go into hiding... By starring in a movie!") and the host is an insufferable ADD YouTube personality, but it was still an interesting concept.

https://youtu.be/YASj8IuQ_Yw

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Huh. So that was either Heather, or future Lisa or Ashley because there are literally no other female characters in the franchise who aren't confirmed dead.

E: Oh, duh it's Elly and he's just saying she wasn't the witch either.

moths fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 28, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That's kind of a wag-the-dog reading though. Once you accept the premise that it shows people their fears, we have to assume what we are being shown is more than disconnected, unrelated witch-theme crap thrown on-screen.

There's absolutely nothing to indicate anyone was afraid of the wiggly-witch before her appearance. And that monster's "don't look at me" nonsense was attributed to both the witch and Rustin. Everything about the attic sequence suggests creepypasta over thematically consistency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Videogames really do make any discussion worse.

• Locked thread