Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I know this isn't just a horror movie thing but jesus, every single time someone wants to hard sell their horror movie the pull quote is always "The Scariest Film. OF ALL TIME."

I attribute this to the fact that on most horror discussion forums, the only two consistent threads are "WHAT MOVIES ARE ACTUALLY SCARY?!?" and "WHAT IS THE MOST EXTREME MOVIE?!?".

Because those two things are super important you see.

Jst0rm posted:

Ill take that scream regardless ;)

Be careful when seeking out the perfect scream ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

Not to mention that cover of a Police song... that I seem to recall being used in some other horror movie trailer. Was it just what they used in the previous teaser when it was called "The Woods"?

To be fair: if you've ever read the lyrics for that song, it is creepy as gently caress.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

King Vidiot posted:

True, but it's just ridiculous how many times somebody has taken (or made) a slowed-down, stripped-down eerie cover of a pop song and used it in a horror trailer or on a film soundtrack. Or used a totally innocuous 50's or 60's pop song playing on an old record player as something "creepy" or atmospheric.

Horror movies are often formulaic and trailers even more so. Might as well embrace it. Reward creators who try to bring something new to the table, sure. But if the formulas make you mad, the genre will make you mad.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ironic doo-wop in horror has been a thing for like, decades.

Same with breathy sparse singing in an echo chamber ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lfzuBij18w

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Ehud posted:

all the glowing reviews we saw early on spoke about reinventing the horror genre and stuff.

When a review for a horror movie talks about "reinventing the genre" or claims "a fresh new take on [x]", 99.9% of the time it just means the reviewer is lazy/inept.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jst0rm posted:

plenty of people have seen it. Ill let them respond to that question. We got to let it go into the wild and what will be will be. These things live on their own.

Genre films typically open big and fall off a cliff with regards to box office, because fans are always ready to see new films and rush out that first weekend.

Jst0rm posted:

2nd place at the box office isnt so bad. 15 mill opening weekend world wide? I know money doesnt mean something is popular or good but yeah.

Don't Breathe did nearly $27M in its opening weekend. The Conjuring 2 did $40M. Lights Out did $21M.

Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows did $13M in its opening weekend 16 years ago and was considered a failure. Joel Berlinger appears to be having a fun time reminding the media about this right now.

For better or worse, I think Blair Witch as a franchise probably just died.

All this considered: box office doesn't determine if a film is good or bad. If you're going to consider box office though, trying to rationalize or explain the numbers away is probably just going to make you look foolish.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jenny Angel posted:

Like, it's very well possible that Blair Witch might kill the franchise because studios are more often than not gormless motherfuckers who have no idea what they're doing

This is the most relevant part. They were expecting numbers comparable or larger than what Don't Breathe, Lights Out, and the other summer horror films made. They didn't get it, therefore the swimming pool upgrades might be slowed and therefore Blair Witch as a property is hosed.

It would be fitting for Blair Witch to be cursed, so it all works out in the end. Hopefully this doesn't stick on Wingard.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jenny Angel posted:

Yeah despite the obvious frustration in my post I don't actually really disagree with you, which is kinda the saddest part

Have you watched the Good Bad Flicks episode about Book Of Shadows? It's really interesting how badly that film got hosed over by the studio. That video is blocked in Canada now :canada: but maybe you can find it on YouTube. Alternatively, Berlinger's director's commentary on the DVD outlines it all quite clearly (I'm still kind of shocked his commentary made it to release).

Long live the curse of the Blair Witch.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DrVenkman posted:

Eh...no. Wingard and Barrett actually come off hilariously bitter. Some people have been really annoyed by it. It was basically recorded as the movie came out long enough for them to see it was a flop, and so they spend a lot of time complaining about how people didn't go and see it. So it veers between some interesting stuff and then "Well you didn't see it opening weekend so gently caress you". They explicitly state that the explanation for the lights you see outside the house would've been elaborated on but now they're not going to explain it.

That's some mind boggling self-entitlement there on their parts. gently caress those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

I'm sure their "explanation" would have been dumb and probably not very creative anyway, so gently caress them.

The thing is, I don't give a poo poo about that.

They're acting like douches because people didn't like their bad reboot and decided to punish and lash out at people who actually did apparently give a poo poo. So once again: gently caress those guys.

• Locked thread