Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is this out at Redbox now? I'd been meaning to catch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Quote-Unquote posted:

I too enjoy campy horror movies

Holy poo poo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I just got done watching this, I liked it! I think it did a good job of balancing showing new stuff while also keeping a lot unseen.

I will say that nearly everything that happened with Ashley felt weirdly executed and didn't have a whole lot of payoff. Like her foot gets infected and we see something weird pulsing in her foot and that goes nowhere, her leg spurts a shitload of pus because I guess we needed a gross-out gag for some reason, and her death gets telegraphed from a mile away the moment she started climbing the tree.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

quote:

I am inclined to believe that you are not the type to make objectively false statements to fit your interpretation
I've got some bad news for you

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Egbert Souse posted:

Most of Kino's Buster Keaton releases are now OOP*, but they have clearance on the 15-disc set for $100
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/busterkeatonclearance

They are replacing the four public domain features with two double feature releases and already replaced the shorts with an updated edition with the Arbuckle films.
Is one of them a found footage movie?

I'm only half joking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Emissary666 posted:

A lot of the hate does not come from the movie itself as it does from its relation with its predecessors. If it were a stand-alone film, it would be received more warmly, but the many stylistic divergences do not seem to be welcomed by those who appreciate the original Blair Witch Project.

I think it's a bit of a balancing act. Mimic the original film too closely, and audiences will say "why bother? The original did it first and/or better". Stray too far, and you get fans of the original saying "it doesn't feel like a Blair Witch movie, it's just coasting on name recognition". I think some of the new stuff it brought to the table worked pretty well (the earpiece-cams), some of it didn't (the body-horror felt out of place), and some had potential but felt under-utilized (the RC drone was a neat way to modernize things, but it wasn't really used in a way that was scary or had an interesting payoff).

• Locked thread