Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You never thought your career as a Guild would start with gardening work, but here you are anyway.

You didn't even make it into the Guild Hall before this request dropped into your laps. Which is probably for the best - you don't quite have all the money you need to register. Yet! Yet.

But this'll take care of that problem, for sure. You're clearing monsters out of a mansion's garden! Mansions mean money!

Mrs. Rhoquepallast's estate lies on the surface not far from Blue Valley. Of course, it's mostly protected by the hedges surrounding the place, and while the topiary and the flower beds are indeed lovely, some strong-smelling flowers and prickly bushes aren't enough to deter most monsters. It's kind of a wonder she's made it this long without something nasty prowling around the grounds already. Still, the elderly schaf lady promised you enough cash to incorporate, plus a little on the side, if you get rid of the monsters on her property.

And there they are. There's a macroraptor, easily the size of a modest grosspanzer, drinking out of the ornamental fish pond in front of the house. And where macroraptors go, there are miniraptors not far behind. One of the little bird-like lizards is capering in and out of the big monster's feet, while another two snap at each other over by the eastern hedge arrangements. There's probably another one somewhere around back, from the cawing and squawking.

Time to do some pest control.

It's a game of Strike! I'm going to use roll20 for the map and rolling, unless that turns out to be a crappy idea, then we won't.

You're facing an elite monster, plus four stooges. There's six of you, so they'll be doing extra damage and I get more AP.

Big Raptor and all the little raptors all rolled 4 for their initiative.

Word on terrain:
Light green is grass. Just regular old terrain.
Dark green are the hedges, trees, and other thick vegetation. You can move through it, but it's difficult terrain, and each square costs 2 move to pass through. It will give you cover and concealment, however.
White-and-grey is the house. Nobody, you or monsters, may pass through it.
Red dots are Mrs. Rochepallast's flower beds. If a PC moves through them, you're in deep trouble and may forfeit the guild's payment. The monsters are assholes, though, and they'll trample the flowers as they see fit.

You'll start on the south edge of the map. Place your marker as you see fit.

Shout if you have any questions or issues.

-

Crafting rules thus far:

1x common mat + crafting = one-time Advantage to a roll
3x common mat + crafting = Permanent advantage in specific situation (fire weapon gives advantage versus ice, etc)
3x rare mat + crafting = permanent advantage to a specific kind of roll (attack, skill, etc.)
Lots of mats rare and common = sweet ride

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo Is Ready !!

actually he sorta isn't, I don't have token ownership right now so I can't move him. Do you know how to set up character journal pages in Roll20 as the GM? If not I can tell you how, it'll make things much easier going forward.

Also, I assume we start with one (1) Action Point apiece? Additionally you're supposed to get a freebie AP per session and one more "give out to someone" per session, but since we don't really have sessions per se how would you like to handle that? I'm fine with having grassy gnoll just say "ok, everyone gets an AP now and can give out another one" every now and then but I wanted to iron that out since AP are pretty important.

Also-Also, should we post our character sheets here? This is actually my first play by post/hybrid game, I've only done real-time before, so I don't really know protocol.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 11, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Actually I'll just explain how to make journal pages now just in case.

Under the "Journal" tap in the top right click the "+Add" button then "Character" in the drop-down. It'll bring up a window where you can make a page, assign a default token, give players control/access, etc. Just make one for every character and give access to their respective player once they join the game. This also lets them "speak" as that character in the chat which makes rolls/etc smoother. Then any time you need to put a token of that character on the map you merely drag it from the Journal tab onto the map and it'll work.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Guillaume

Will had to get off his bike to get here. It's not exactly quiet, and he's not exactly happy about that.

So when he sees the big ol' raptor there, the grin on his face is a mite bit disturbing.

He carefully checks the fuel level on his bike. Checks his weapons.

And then says the most dangerous of all words when it comes to Monster Hunting.

"I got the big one."

Rolled init, got a 6. Suck it, raptors.

K Prime fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 11, 2016

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey

"You know, this is the first time I've been involved in monster hunting- I mean, t-that is to say, the first uh- organized attempt. At hunting monsters in specific- monsters like these. I absolutely do not mean to imply that I do not know what I am doing. Quite the contrary really, you'll find I am, uh- very good at fighting, uh... in.. in general."

Gilfrey wipes at his brow; he's nervous- very nervous. You only get one first impression really, and he has a very poor record when it comes to those. The whole trip over to the mansion he's been checking and double checking everything he has with him. Bookmarks set to the right pages, correct ammunition calibers, hat properly adjusted- everything. This time, at least, nothing will be out of place.

As he finishes his last rundown he fetches a small, glowing cartridge labeled 'dangerous!!! please don't touch! thanks' from his bag. He pushes it into the rear receiver of his launcher, and the whole thing comes to life with a dizzying array of small lights and gauges. He shoulders the weapon, tightens the straps, and claps his hands together in a little fit of excitement.

"Ah, excellent! Okay, now let me show you that you have not chosen your company poorly, my new friends! For it is time-" He pops out a small sight "-to put theory into practice. And please do be careful, I would hate to see any injuries on our first semi-official mission!"

(I've rolled a six on initiative, it's time to responsibly dispose of these monsters.)

pre:
Name: Gilfrey
Class: Bombardier (Lasting)
Role: Leader
Background: Alchemist
Origin: Nu Mou, uh, lookalike
Resources Poor [1]
Fallback: None Yet

Motivation
To find recognition for his abilities, and a place in the world (friends included!)

Kit: The Scholar
I've got it! (Baseline) - When you discover something strange or inexplicable, gain an Insight Token and write down the 
strangeness. You may spend three Insight Tokens to have a eureka moment about one of the things on your list. This is a 
sudden stroke of insight, equivalent to rolling a 6 on a knowledge roll. And yes, this can be used to learn knowledge Skills.

Broad Expertise (Alchemy) - Pick a fairly broad area of knowledge, such as History, Finance, or  Biology. You are an 
expert in that field. When researching or recalling information in that field, you gain a Bonus on a roll of 4 or 5 (as though 
you had rolled a 6). 

Skills:
Arcana
Potion Brewing
Machinery
Explosives
Dissuasion
Myths and Legends
Herbalism
Tea Preparation and Service
+Baking

Tricks:
Focused Mind - When he has a moment to collect himself and focus on a task, Gilfrey's concentration can be nearly 
impossible to break.
Functional Insight - Everything worked once, and Gilfrey can make it work again. Broken down engines, faded 
enchantments, or even disused ballistae, Gilfrey knows how to make it work one last time.

Complications:
Dutiful Scholar - Gilfrey has an overwhelming drive to find out how or why the mysterious or complex works, 
regardless of if such investigations are safe or appropriate.
Terminally Lame - Unless he possess a position of unassailable advantage, Gilfrey is simply incapable of appearing 
threatening or awe inspiring.

Feats:
Lucky: Once per encounter you may force an enemy to reroll one attack against you. Once per encounter you may 
reroll one Saving Throw, escape attempt, or Panic Roll.

Powers:
Shaped Blasts:
Crosses: A cross or X shape extending 2 squares in four directions from the central square.
Cones: Essentially one fourth of a 5x5 square, divded along two diagonals (and including those dividing lines). In 
other words, a pyramid of 1, 3, then 5 squares.

At-Will:
Magitek Strike (Grenade): Range 10, 2 Damage, Effect - Create a zone including your target based on the Ammo you choose. The 
zone will last until the start of your following turn and have effects based on the type of Ammo you chose.

Aetherochemical Blast (Toxic Bomb): Ammo - Creatures starting their turn in the zone or entering it must 
make a Saving Throw. If they fail, they take Ongoing 2 Damage (save ends).

Near-field Pulse (Sonic Bomb): Ammo - All creatures in the zone are pushed 2 squares (pushed away from 
the bomb, not from you). Entering the zone costs 2 extra squares of movement.

Encounter:
Aerosolized Ether (Energizing Bomb): Friendly Ammo - Creatures starting their turn in the zone or entering it 
gain an extra Move Action.

Role:
Teamwork Boost: Gain the Tactics encounter power. When you roll a 5 or 6 on an attack, you gain an additional 
use of said power.
Tactics: Encounter - One ally of your choice may spend a Move Action immediately.

Heal: Ranged 5 - Target may regain Hit Points equal to half its maximum (round down). The target may pick one 
of the following options:
* If prone, stand up.
* Make a Saving Throw against one status that allows one or attempt to escape a Grab.
* Enemies have Disadvantage to attack the target until the end of the target's next turn.
* If this brings the target to full health, they may also choose to have Advantage on their next attack.

Try again!: Encounter, Reaction - Trigger: An ally makes an attack and dislikes the result. Spend an Action Point. 
The ally may reroll the attack.

Inventory:
Arcane tome, modified MK .7 launcher, reinforced Robe, shell casings, alchemy kit, Old-world Alchemist's Hat

brennon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 21, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo

Nemo has never really got on well in the more decadent parts of society - He'd rather be on the road or in the tavern than in a mansion's garden, and his time in the Ackademy was, uh, a trial - but work is work and if he and his to-be friends are going to make this work he'll need to start smelling the roses.

"'Careful'? We aren't going to get anything done like that." Nemo unclasps his weapon from his back and levels it, staring down the macroraptor... Or he would be, if the drat thing would actually notice him instead of his admittedly-more-intimidating canine companion.

He growls an adorable growl; "Beast! Your fight is with me, and if we are to engage in the honorable duel mundane you must step away from the fountain!" Nonplussed, the monster continues its morning ritual. "Very well then," the diminutive samurai offers with a smirk, running his claws down the edge of his blade and offering a nod to Will. "I shall show you what happens to those who deny the proper rules of combat."

Nemo, ever the honorable fighter, has gifted his opponents an opportunity to act first by rolling a 2 on initiative.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

I hate Suits. All of them.
Radios

Of all the potential sponsors Radios'd ever considered, the 'esteemed' Rhoquepallast family was probably the last he'd expected to offer to back a handful of nobodies off the streets. 'Course, that was more on account of the opinion that a family that chose and continued to choose to live on the surface above Blue Valley probably didn't think too much of folks they considered beneath them.

Didn't get much more beneath than literally so.

Still, a job was a job, and more importantly, this job was rife with long-term potential. The kinda potential that hadn't come around in the near half-decade he'd spent in Blue Valley; potential for a future of more than just creating commissions and scraping by with whatever materials he had on hand or had been delivered, all thanks to the less-than-confident, but passionate words of the kobold(?) beside him.

He hadn't known Gilfrey much, but the way the man spoke about what really got him passionate was more than enough for Radios to sense a somewhat kindred spirit.

So here he was, with the others that Gilfrey'd manage to charm or wow or convince to join him, witnessing some lizards...inhabiting the Rhoquepallast garden?

"Strange, innit?" Radios mused, adjusting his satchel and the supplies within. A muffled clank of vials on bones was its response. He glanced over at the blonde Gilfrey'd recruited. Her and her giant pet. Between it and the dogman's vehicle, what good were the odds of the garden's alleged natural beauty staying intact? "Just one Bigliz and its hatchlings? I wonder what they're doing here without any others..."

Radios rolled a 1 on Initiative, and a 1 on Chaos Adept. Has Lambyay's Sleeptrap for his Encounter.

Velyoukai fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 15, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Gwenivere's initial contribution to the conversation is the click-snack of her inserting a magazine into her SMG and dropping the bolt closed. She can't match Will's fangs, but her expression is no less predatory.

"You can have the big one this time, I'll keep the little ones off your flanks."

I too rolled a 6 on init.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 18, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Temporary map while I get learned on roll20.

Tell me where you want to go in terms of "one forward, use X power, two forward, then one right," or whatever is relevant to your intent. I apologize if your starting position sucks, but I wanted to get this up as soon as possible.

Init is currently

6 - Gwen, Gil, Will
5 -
4 - Macroraptor, miniraptor
3 -
2 - Nemo
1 - Radios

Still waiting on ARB.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Suggestion: Just let the three 6's start, with whoever posts first starting it off. Odds are that ARB won't act before them anyway.

Also, I have enough faith in brennon/Gilfrey's tactical expertise to give him control over my movements for his various Leader movement-granting powers.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Bleu Cornflower
and Tura and Keu

Hopping off of Tura, Bleu looks over to Guillaume. "Ah, I'd be careful about getting in Tura's way... he always goes big...", she says nervously. Tura just looms quietly as she pulls out her pair of short swords, looking to the dinosaurs. "I wonder if they smelled something she was cooking?", she muses, trying to think of why they might be attracted to the house. "She isn't growing velocinip, is she? That stuff's dangerous!"

Initiative is a 4.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 12, 2016

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

As posted in the recruit thread, everyone should be mobile now. Please let me know if this continues to fail to be the case.

K, brennon and Gorbash are all up.

I'm adding control of Nemo to Gil.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo

He shoots a glance to Bleu. "Dangerous how, exactly?... Actually, hold that thought, my blade's thirst must be sated before my brain's; Horticulture can wait."

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenivere leaps into action - literally. She charges towards the pair of miniraptors, leaping through the hedge before skidding to a halt at nearly point blank range. Before they have a chance to react, she levels her SMG and opens fire on them, aiming mostly for the further one. Then she falls back again, still firing harassing bursts, to take cover in the hedge.

"Come and get it!"

Gwen moved diagonally up/right 3 squares up 2 more (6 movement total), then fired on the miniraptor 3 squares up (the further one). The hit deals 3 damage, and creates a 3x3 zone, that I've drawn on the map. If either miniraptor is still in the zone at the end of their turn, they take 3 damage.

Then, taking advantage of Blitzer, she moves three squares down so she can get cover and concealment.

If someone can keep those miniraptors where they are, that'd be awesome.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 18, 2016

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey

"Nemo, it's time! Move in under cover of my fire just like you and I have practiced!" Gilfrey squints into his sight, exhales slowly, and squeezes the trigger. A shell spirals through the air, exploding into a fine, neon yellow mist on contact with the Megaraptor. It smells distinctly like almonds. He hurries up behind a group of bushes, and starts chambering another shot. "Please do not inhale any of the gas, my friends. I would be extremely distressed if one of you fell ill from it."

I begin by granting a move to Nemo, and then firing a toxic cross shot with the primary target being the macroraptor (which I'll elect to have stay for just one round). It hits, deals 2 damage, and spreads the zone. I then move up so I can remain in range of the fight for my healer powers.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Will

As the others move up, Will mounts his bike.
"Alright. Let's get dangerous."

With a roar, the bike tears up some valuable grass and heads straight at the macroraptor.

Then, Will kicks it into a slide.

There is a sickening crunch as the bike impacts a raptor leg and the creature topples, shrieking, to the ground. With a smirk, Will revs the bike back up and reverses course to the entrance, conveniently spraying down the next raptor over as he does with a mix of mud, water, and blood.

Then, he pulls his goggles down. "Alright. Next run I finish you off, birdie!"

Move up 5 charging, transform into BIKE MAN, hit macroraptor with a critical strike, dealing 6 damage, proning, and distracting him. On that 6 I trigger Control Boost and slide him 3 spaces to the left as well. Then for my Role Action I weaken the microraptor to his left. Then, with my Sprinter off-turn movement I scoot back 2 spaces to line up charges on whoever I please. Still have 3 movement left to bob and weave on other turns!

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Garden Warfare

Gwen hustles up and lays down a withering spray of fire against the miniraptors. It's a little unsporting to use the tactics of war against a pest species, but the bird-lizard-fish-things are mean little bastards anyway. The miniraptors screech and run in opposite directions, panicking from the sudden clatter of gunfire. One of them takes a bullet and goes down with a thump.

Gilfrey's shell flies straight and true, impacting on the macroraptor's shoulder. The beast pulls up from the fountain, drooling water from its muzzle. It looks confused, and not just a little angry. As it sniffs, trying to scent whatever just slapped it, it breathes deep of Gilfrey's aerosol poison, sputtering and trying to shake the gas from its face to little effect.

The macroraptor's day is not improved by Will slamming it in the shins with a motorcycle. The giant beast staggers, backing up a goodly ways as it attempts to right itself. Bleeding and angry, it stomps away, attempting to get clear of the noxious gas that clouds its vision and burns its lungs.

There is one bird-lizard-thingy that is not okay with just sitting here and taking it, and that's the one Will sprayed with mud while he was being a Cool Guy. Not satisfied with having sand kicked in its face in front of its girlfriend, the plucky little creature scampers low to the ground, beneath the floating gas cloud and the motorcycle's exhaust, only to rear up and bite Will right in the kobold's keister. It scuttles back off, personal slight avenged.

Gwen uses Area Denial with a 3 to hit. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a three means you either deal your damage or use the effect, not both, right? I flipped a coin in chat and it came up as the area effect, so I'm keeping that for now. If you'd rather focus down on the one miniraptor, let me know. 4 to hit, area is suppressed and the initial target dies. Goodbye, Mini Green.

Gilfrey tags his target with a 4, getting effect and a regular damage hit. Macroraptor is Elite and not bloodied, so it automatically passes saves, and takes 2 damage from the regular attack value. Miniraptor saves out of damage. Unless the damage affects all targets in the burst - I'm not clear on that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Will criticals against the macroraptor. Macro automatically saves, is not knocked prone. Macro resists forced movement, sliding left only 2. Miniraptor Red is weakened until the end of its next turn, dealing half damage until then.

Monsters go before ties, so minis and macro, in that order. Minis are also updated so they have individual color markers, which is a handy feature.

Mini Red (providing it isn't killed by Gil's attack) shifts down two and right one, next to Will. Rolls a 6! Ouch. I'm pretty sure monsters crit - again, if this isn't the case, let me know. Damage is (3x2) = 3, 2 total and the monster's effect makes it shift back one.

Mini Green runs away from Gwen's damage zone, as does Mini Blue. Mini Orange continues to play in the flower bed.

Macro retreats, moving left and up out of the gas cloud.

Bleu, Nemo and Radios are up.

grassy gnoll fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 13, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bleu Cornflower
and Tura and Keu

Tura rushes up, pawing at the raptor, but mostly just gets a paw caught in a bush. It takes some shaking to free the bush from his paw, sending it flying, and he backs up as Bleu trails after, making a swift swipe mini-raptor's direction, though darts away from the attack. "Ugh, more bees than honey, huh, Tura!"

The tiger's more focused on the macro raptor, thought, turning towards it and getting ready to pounce, but his whiskers are well aware of the raptor at his side.

Tura moves up three spaces and Bleu moves up two spaces. Using Coordinated Attack to move up and Team Attack the (red) miniraptor for a 1, taking the strike and skipping Tura's shift. (I'm presuming Tura's leading edge is the only part that counts for Difficult Terrain.) Oh, and let's Mark the miniraptor he just attacked, for what it's worth.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

grassy gnoll posted:

Gilfrey tags his target with a 4, getting effect and a regular damage hit. Macroraptor is Elite and not bloodied, so it automatically passes saves, and takes 2 damage from the regular attack value. Miniraptor saves out of damage. Unless the damage affects all targets in the burst - I'm not clear on that. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Will criticals against the macroraptor. Macro automatically saves, is not knocked prone. Macro resists forced movement, sliding left only 2. Miniraptor Red is weakened until the end of its next turn, dealing half damage until then.

Will's prone/distracted isn't a save effect, it just happens:

Also, for future reference, you're correct regarding Gilfrey's explosions: Only one target takes the initial damage, the attack's effect is what spreads through the zone.

Nemo

The furry fighter is tired of waiting; He has given his quarry ample time to answer his call to arms, but the beast ignores him. Oh sure, it may have just taken a tire to its shin, but that's no excuse for a true warrior.

"Enough of your mockery! Stand now and whet my blade's appetite; Falling Blossoms: Bloody Petal Dance!" Nemo punctuates his flowery exclamation by leaping up and cleaving his sword across the Macroraptor's jaw and throat, severely injuring her and, at least for a moment, disabling any of the strange calls and tricks her kind is known for. It seems Nemo's assault has left a mental mark as well as a physical one, as the Macroraptor finally turns to face him, anger and desperation in her eyes. "Yes! That is what I want! Now, show me your might!"

Nemo performs a basic attack against the Macroraptor and rolls a 6. He chooses to use his Minor Striker feat to add 2 damage, for a total of 6 (2 x 2 + 2).

Next he uses his Brawler class bonus to Disable the monster (it may only perform basic attacks, and deals no damage on triggered or opportunity attacks, until the end of its next turn). Note that this is assuming the Macroraptor was, in fact, Proned by Will per the above note; If this is not the case for some other reason like a feature specific to the raptor, then I instead Immobilize (save ends) it. Remember that saving throws happen at the end of a player/monster's turn, so it shouldn't be moving next turn (again, short of a raptor-specific feature).

Then he uses Trap on the Macroraptor, meaning if it ends its next turn within 5 squares of Nemo, Nemo has Advantage against it on his next attack.

Finally he Marks the Macroraptor.

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 13, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Radios

"Hah...I'd forgotten." Radios muses as he reaches into his bag, cackling a bit at the unrepentant and unlimited violence from both parties now that his allies have initiated things. "You hunter types tend to be 'Beat up first, get information later' folks."

Still, no skin off his nose. So long as their violence didn't break too many teeth or wear down the hides of the nasty lizards to the point of disuse, then there wasn't a single problem Radios could consider with how his new teammates did things. The Rhoquepallasts might have a few words to say, but, considering what was in their garden—provided the Rhoquepallasts weren't exactly watching how this went down; a glance up towards the mansion windows to make sure—it wasn't like they could complain too much, right?

"Now, now, let's not get too hasty here, folks." Radios grins as he spies one of the miniraptors making its way down to flank around them. Nasty buggers, even on good days. It was really just bad luck for them that they were the targets of his new friends' first official mission for patrons. He pulls out a soft, almost fleshy bundle from his satchel and loads it into his slingin'-stick, sending it flying right into the little beast's face with a nasty snap.

Leaving the miniraptor to its sticky situation, Radios moves to get closer to his allies, joining their formation to encourage some good ol'fashioned flanking.

"Y'can't bring me back any good parts if you get too chewed up now, " He laughs as he hands Will a tincture composed of Nectar and fadeleaf.

Mechanical
  • Slings his At-Will, Sticky Bomb, at Miniraptor Blue. Rolls 1d6=4, dealing 2 damage and inflicting "If the target attempts to move on its next turn, it must make a Saving Throw.
    If it fails, it falls Prone."
  • Moves W -> W -> N, to be SW of Will.
  • Uses Role: Minor Leader, to allow Will to regain 2 HP.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Sticky Lizards

It's a bad day to be a raptoid, apparently.

The macroraptor howls in frustration as the tiny hairy thing keeps slashing at its face and neck. It flails and lashes, trying to break free of Nemo's field of damage, but there's just something irresistible about the kobold(?)'s deadly dance that keeps the beast fixated on him.

Radios, meanwhile, starts hucking caustic, splattery chemicals around your benefactor's prized shrubberies, then offering Will some drugs. Such a great role model. The miniraptor behind the hedge, however, is surprised as hell when a glass vial rains down from the sky and splatters something gross and painful all over it, and whatever was in that suspicious wad Will ate makes the kobold feel better.

Macroraptor takes 6 damage, is bloodied, is Marked and Trapped.

Mini Blue is hurt and glued to a bush.

Will should be back to full health.

Top of the round again! Gil, Will, and Gwen are up.

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey

Gilfrey's quite used to being able to work literal magic from a safe space, and the sudden crowding combined with not-entirely-familiar technical weaponry can be a recipe for disaster.

"P-please do not crowd the sight lines, I need room to operate this-" Gilfrey looks down the sights, and takes a step back right into a bush. The weapon tilts forward slightly, and a glowing shell unceremoniously slides out of the chamber and plops on the ground. "-oh dear. Well give me a momen-"

The instant Gilfrey touches the shell, a light engages on the casing and gas begins venting from it. He starts sputtering, and flees behind a bush with in a combination of panic and deep shame. He wipes most of the compound away from his face before he suffers any adverse effects, but he's too embarrassed to speak up and warn Guilliaume in a timely manner. Instead, he spends his time pondering important things, such as 'Why does it always have to be like this!?' and 'I was supposed to make a good first impression!'

Misfire causes me to take two damage (but not a strike), and I create a square toxic zone on my tile. I am able to move before taking any ill effects, Will is not so fortunate, and will have to save at the start of his turn or be subject to damage.

At end of my turn, my previous cross-shaped toxic zone vanishes.

That reminds me, don't forget that I have the leader ability "Try Again!", meaning if you make a disastrous roll or didn't roll well on something you absolutely needed to hit, let me know and I might be able to spend an AP to let you re-roll the attack.

brennon fucked around with this message at 22:32 on May 13, 2016

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

As one miniraptor goes down and the other scatters, Gwenivere pops out of the hedge on the other side. Gilfrey's troubles and the ongoing fighting make the place feel down right cozy. Just like home. Hedgerows, random gas clouds, the rattle of automatic fire... not as many shell craters though.

Regardless, she doesn't stop to admire the scene. Swapping magazines as she runs flat out, she skirts around the group and hops back through the hedge, spotting the megaraptor. Gwenivere charges in towards it, dropping to a knee and skidding to halt before she opens up on it, scoring a solid hit with her first burst, and then keeping up the pressure to make it keep its big tooth filled head down.

Made a big move, comboing a move action of 10 squares and a Blizter action to get close. I rolled a 6 on Pin Down. As a result of my Damage Boost, I deal 6 total damage to it, and if it moves more than 2 squares on its next turn, it takes 3 more damage.

Comrade Gorbash fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 18, 2016

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Guillaume

"Whoa there, friend, you may need to slow down," says Will, completely hypocritically, as he ducks out of the gas cloud posthaste.

Pulling out his shotgun, he revs up and engages the bastard that bit him and peppers it with shot from up close, keeping it too busy to fight anybody effectively. A few shots narrowly miss Bleu on the raptor's other side, but miss they do.

"Try bitin' me with this," he grows, and pulls the trigger in the creature's face. As it reels backwards, Will is already reversing, pulling back to a position of relative safety and control. And readying for the next reckless charge.

Using my off-turn movement to dance out of the danger zone before it triggers, avoiding having to make the save at all. Then, I charge the microraptor that freakin' bit me and flank it with Bleu. With the advantage reroll I get a 5, meaning it takes 2 damage and I can push it up to the distance of my charge, so I shove it one into the difficult terrain directly to its south to make it hard to catch me. Then, I retreat back to where I began my turn. I have up to 6 off-turn movement remaining.
On my hit, I trigger control boost and Slow the microraptor as well.
As my Role Action, I weaken the miniraptor.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

So that kills the macroraptor pretty handily and the miniraptors only have one HP.

Important Moral Decision moment: are you guys going to go kill the miniraptor playing in the flowers, which has not yet noticed anything is amiss?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo

Nemo has no reason to kill an unaware foe, though he recognizes the need to finish the mission. He looks to his inventor pals; "Either of you have a way to ensnare that one without killing it? It appears to be unaware of our presence, despite our considerable volume."

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey

"If it hasn't been scared by the gunfire and shouting yet, I'm not sure anything will frighten it off.. maybe we could lure it away or trick it into a situation wherein we could trap it by using a few of these flowers? Given the mess the raptors have made, I'm sure the lady of this manor would not mind just one or two being picked by us..."

Speaking of which, I'd kind of like to know if and how the flowers are affecting them, and if we can use that to our advantage. Can I roll Herbalism here?

edit: Just remembered you're supposed to phrase skills as specific actions in Strike! So how about I use my Herbalism to try to use the flowers they're clearly interested in to make some kind of potion to either lure them away or fend them off?

brennon fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 15, 2016

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Radios

"Hah! 'Have a way'?" Radios saunter-sneaks up to join Nemo by the fountain, already digging into his satchel. "More like 'any and every way'! That's why your man Gillers brought me along, after all. Full-time access to the Radioshack supply of every hunter's dream stock."

After a few moments and the unsettling sounds of glass breaking and being shoved into things, Radios' bag produces the intended item. A glass globe, barely bigger than an apple, filled with murky smoke and some strange sort of blue liquid, rests in Radios' palm as he displays it with obvious pride.

"A mixture of Morphemoth pollen and Slumbizzard venom makes a fine sleep grenade, friend." After a moment, and with obvious difficulty, Radios grimaces and looks back towards their mostly quiet party member. And her giant cat. "Though...if that one has a less...violent approach, I suppose we should hear it..."

Don't forget to loot! Radios can't make you fun goodies without lootssssss.

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Will

"If it flees I'll run it down. Otherwise, I got nothin' to help," says Will. He looks vaguely disappointed - too short and too easy a mission, would be the best guess.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bleu Cornflower
and Tura and Keu

Patting Tura, Bleu says, "Don't worry, we'll get 'em next time.", as Keu lands on the tiger's head. The tiger looks around impassively as Bleu marches forward confidently. "I'm a wildbreaker. I've got this.", she states with a bold confidence. "Hey there.", she says as she sheathes her swords, raising a hand and making a cautious step towards the not-reptile. "I just need you to come over here, out of the flowers...", she adds, gently. Ominously, even.

You'll find out if it's dangerous soon enough.

Taming toll is a 1, so Bleu probably has a face full of raptor now.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenivere jogs over, putting her SMG back into its stock/carrying case. "I could drag it out of there, but wildlife is Bleu's specialty." Still, the former subaltern unslings her carbine, flips a toggle, and fishes a grappling hook attachment out of her satchel.

"Got your back..." she starts, right before it becomes clear Bleu's back is very much in need of getting.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Flower Power

The last miniraptor is rolling around on its back in the flower bed around the back of the mansion. It stops and freezes when it sees Bleu approach, body and head nearly turned a hundred and eighty degrees from each other. It tracks the animal wrangler with its eyes, breathing shallowly and slowly.

As Bleu reaches out one careful hand, the raptor springs up in the air like a mousetrap snapping closed. It makes a noise like someone wheezing and saying "blaaargh" at the same time, claws the hell out of her face, and then unceremoniously flees out of the garden and into the wilds.

Apart from her wounded pride and a couple of cosmetic bite-and-scratch marks all over her face, Bleu is otherwise unhurt.

Which is much the state of Mrs. Rhoquepallast's mansion. There may be a couple of discreet bullet holes in some planters, and some discolorations on the lawn from the blood, and that big tire mark where Will peeled out, but that definitely could have gone a lot worse. The most important thing is that there's not much damage to the flowers, and absolutely none of it looks like a person was at fault. Your butts are covered.

Now you just have to get this megaraptor carcass back to town.

-

You collectively notify Mrs. Rhoquepallast that her request is fulfilled. It takes her about a day to pack up from the hotel she's been lording over and get back to her place, and another day on top of that for her letter to arrive. It's hand-written in a lovely blue ink, on paper that probably costs more than a week's provisioning for you.

Dear hunters, it reads.

Thank you ever so much for removing those pests from my garden. My glory days are behind me, I fear, and harsh words were not enough to dissuade them.

Please find enclosed your payment.

I have also forwarded a letter of credit to the hunter's guild in the west bank. Please do put it to good use.

Gratefully yours,

Joanna Grettle Edrigal Rhoquepallast

The letter arrives attached to what appears to be a jewelry box, but inside are velvet-lined compartments perfectly fitted to hold six daffodil bulbs. Guess these are yours, now.

Still, that should be your ticket in the door at the guild, and a contact from old money would probably be enough to land you some new gear or a night on the town. How do you celebrate your new move up in the world?

-

A note on crafting. I'm going to eyeball the hell out of this, and if it turns out to be a terrible idea, we'll come up with something else.

Each miniraptor was worth one common material, miniraptor themed. A hide, a set of fangs, a talon, etc. The macroraptor was worth 1 common mat and one rare mat.

What can you do with this stuff?

Well, for now, let's say that you can turn two commons into a one-time-use item that gives you an advantage as part of its use. A flashbomb, a fancy handkerchief to show off at a party, a cool necklace to barter with, etc. Two rares can be combined to make a thematically appropriate item that grants a permanent advantage in its use case - turn a macroraptor femur and a scarab lens into a telescope, for instance.

I'm going to kick around some forumulas to make fancier things.

Also, currently debating on having gathering quests for other material themes. You could conceivably build a panzer of your own if you got good at mining for stuff, let's say.

Anyway, this is a little free time to play out like you want, and then we'll get to picking your next job.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo

Back at the tavern with his comrades, Nemo idly shuffles the flower bulbs around in his claws like one would those steel orbs you'd find collecting dust in some traveling huckster's caravan. "I cannot say I am pleased with our reimbursement, but I suppose the Lady's letter has opened a few proverbial doors for us. For the time taken it wasn't a bad hunt, all said and done."

The kobold waiter arrives with the table's food, and Nemo quickly replaces the bulbs into their case and latches it closed, the mechanism making a satisfying click as it locks. Unfortunately all the group can afford right now is some mashed popotos and a small side of raptor kebabs, but protein is protein and Nemo isn't about to let... ahem, good food go to waste. He nods at the waiter and begins shoveling the burnt meat and barely-smashed tubers into his face.

"Sssho, wffhats next?" He manages to say with only minimal spittle. He pauses a moment and swallows. "I'd rather hold onto what few materials we managed to procure during our last hunt and try to fashion myself a new blade, but that'd require some sort of steel or particularly large bone to sharpen. The hides we have should work well as a grip, though. " Nemo kicks the loot bag under the table, a dull thump punctuating his suggestion.

"Perhaps after our meal we should see what Lady Marm is willing to offer us."

So, what all do we have right now in total then? 5 common materials and 1 rare one?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Four commons, one rare. One miniraptor escaped after it tried to eat Bleu's face. But perhaps you have not seen the last of it???

brennon
Sep 15, 2004

Gilfrey

"What's next!? Why, filing our official registration forms with the guild of course! How could you not be excited about that? I've already got about fifty of the general registration forms filled out, I'll just need everyone to fill out an identity paper stating your age, position in the guild and all that-" Gilfrey excitedly brings out a rather large looking stack of papers. "-I've already marked everyone's with their name. Nemo, I've taken the liberty of filling most of yours out, I apologize but I just couldn't help myself. It's interesting the way they've structured these ones, much more functional than the old clan style of paperwork which itself was an interesting administrative offshoot of old akademy style academic registration procedures which themselves derive from old judge scripts from the most ancient form of clan based systems-" Gilfrey slowly trails off after receiving more than a few looks.

"Well, I mean- just.. j-just uh fill out your papers. We also need a name for the registry and to designate our officials; the only mandatory one is the leader. I, uh, hope nobody minds if I put my own name down- t-that is, I mean, feel free to volunteer yourself but I warn you the position is very much administrative."

Gilfrey raises his mug of water sheepishly. "In any case, I am glad everything went off without any serious incidents. A toast, my new friends, to a hopefully successful future!" He takes a swig, and then looks to Nemo. "Oh, and as for our reimbursement, perhaps those bulbs are of some value. If they are not, we should plant them in some planters or around our guild hall when we can afford one. It would be a sentimental reminder of our team's first foray into hunting."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Bleu Cornflower

Her face at least bandaged lightly, Bleu pokes at her tuber as if trying to work up the enthusiasm to eat it. "Ah, next time, I cook the meat.", she says, sighing softly before biting meat off the kebab, chewing laboriously. Raising her mug wordlessly to Gilfrey, she clinks the glass, and then looks over to Nemo. "Yeah, let's stop by, I'd like to see if they have any bounties." She takes the tuber up towards her mouth, braces herself, and bites down before chewing.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

Gwenivere, as per usual, took advantage of a stable flat surface to start doing maintenance on her firearms. She's wiping down the barrel of her primary pistol when she spots the waiter heading towards the table. With a speed and smoothness bordering on magic, she converts the scattering of springs, pins, and metal pieces back into a gun with a few metal on metal clicks, then puts it back in its holster.

"I agree with Bleu, no point in lazing about." She clinks her glass with the others, then drains most of its contents in one long pull. "I"m fine with you holding down the guild leader spot, Gilfrey. Just don't order any forlorn charges."

She takes a bite of the kebab, frowns at it, shrugs, and takes another bite. "I was thinking about a name again, after we couldn't come up with one before. I'm still against Blades United since I don't use a blade. But I liked the idea of reflecting how many different places we come from, and the Valley. Out of the blue. So, how about Clear Sky Union?"

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Nemo

The swordsman frowns deeply for a moment and sighs, clanking his glass with the others. "Well, the blades were supposed to me metaphorical, but your suggestion is good as well. Besides, the sooner we agree--" He sinks his fangs into one last lump of meat, barely able to pierce its burnt skin. "--The sooner we can get something decent to eat."

"...I don't suppose any of you know how to cook?"

Like I said before, I'm not really on the up-and-up on proper pbp etiquette and procedure; Is there an agreed-upon way to transition the scene? I'm not asking to do that right now, I just don't know if like, someone just does it or if it's the GM's responsibility once the scene plays out, or what.

Velyoukai
Mar 4, 2011

Radios

"I've no real care for whatever our name or leadership is, so long as it doesn't use my family name."

Radios reaches up from his position hidden beneath the tablecloth of the guild's dinner table and blindly gropes for some more kebabs. He manages to find one after some inconsequential difficulty and drags it back down to his position. Honestly, the meat is sub-par if he's being generous, but it's leagues better than standard rations and Radios can tell there's at least a little affection cooked into it. Not sure for who, but it's there, and, more importantly, he's being more than generous with his own secret sauce he's pulling packets of out of his satchel while he's safe beneath the table with the loot.

Well, mostly safe. Nemo can kick pretty hard for a little fuzzball. He wants a sword, though, does he?

Radios hefts a few of the lighter materials in his free hand as he reaches up and gropes for Gilfrey's important papers, wherever they might be. He tosses a packet of sweet secret sauce in the general direction of Nemo's voice and kick. "If we get something that can spit fire, I bet I could fix an ignitable membrane over your sword, Nemo."

Generally, these sorts of scenes are just free periods for open socialization and RPing while the GM gets the next major event ready. Think of it like a loading screen, but one you can interact in. We could always surprise Gnoll with a BAR FIGHT if we really wanted to be deviating from the path, but I imagine this is just a cooldown period where we chat and toss around ideas and IC desires/plans while Gnoll works on the next Hunt.

Velyoukai fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

Will

"I can do a pretty decent stew, so I'm told," says Will. "Never tried it with raptor, but it's probably just the thing for that sort of tough cut. You don't wanna roast it. Just makes it worse."

He yawns, bored. "Get me some onions and a touch o' carrots and I'll do it up right now. Gilfrey can deal with the drat paperwork all he pleases."

• Locked thread