Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Azyr-Divine the truth of their conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Hysh. Let there be light!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Chaos Reigns

You can see it. Beyond the white and black, the colors call out in their various sing song harmonies, yellow, green, blue purple, red and brown. If you touch them maybe you can use them. You can help somehow. You reach out and hesitate. You can sense that each color has a different nature and character which will you... But in that moment of hesitation the many colors shift and change sharply. They now sound not harmonious but discordant. Not inviting but repulsive.

You make to draw back but are frozen in place. The colorful wind rushes at you and entering your ears, eyes, nose and mouth. All is noise, all is energy, all is power. You feel like you will explode and you lash out. The door before you explodes and you hear a scream and cry.

You cannot see her but are aware that the woman has fallen behind the table. The man in green now stands before you sword drawn. His fine garb is torn in several places from the door shrapnel and blood runs down his bulbous forehead. A look of grim determination in his eye.

"B-b-begone! Thi-th- Verena compels!"

You are conscious that you seem to be looking down on him.

Write in

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Bit early to become a daemonhost.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Let go of the magic, hope to not die or worse.

Okay, so this is why humans only use one wind. Trying to use all of them at once is really fuckin' hard, and without some way to filter them you end up with what is called Dark magic. Without a whole lot of outside assistance, dark magic will likely devour us and leave a disintegrating pile of meat. The fact that we're still alive even fractions of a second later means we're either very lucky or gifted with a great deal of inborn talent.

Best case scenario is to collapse into unconsciousness and not get stabbed.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Skellybones posted:

Bit early to become a daemonhost.

Its never too early to become a daemonhost

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The only thing that comes to mind is running away and muttering "Can't die, still a virgin. Can't die, still a virgin" while we run.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Back down, shut out the impending wave of Dhar.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Embrace this power, cast down those corrupt priests!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Let go of the power before it overwhelms us.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Channel the power creatively.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
No one boy should have all that power

outoutout you have to let it out somehow you need to free this power before it overtakes you you see eyes you hear laughter you know this is all just a bad dream am i dying i wanted to help scraping poo poo is all i ever did now ill never see her again why did i...

The man with the fluffed collar screams, bravely before thrusting his sword at you. The sword drives into your navel, except instead of cutting it sinks in like a stick pushed into marshy ground. You cry out and out of your mouth flows fire like that which bursts from imperial steam tank's guns, scorching the man's face. Lightning jumps along the sword and blows him over the desk and across the room, hitting the wall with a crunch.

You feel... relieved... the power that had been overwhelming you a moment before quietens to a kind of low buzzing. You feel your feet settle once more onto the ground. Looking down you see the sword standing out of your stomach by the hilt. You refrain from looking behind you to see whether the rest of the blade is there and grasp the hilt in your hands before pulling it out. It slides easily and when you remove it you see the blade shines like it was newly forged. Wherever it catches the light you see a rainbow of colors.

From behind the desk you hear the woman gibber.

"Verenaverenaverena."

What do you do?
1.A I run. I don't know what just happened but I need to get out of here. Away from this man and woman.
1.B I stay. The woman obviously needs help and the man might not be beyond saving.
1.C I magic. I can still feel the connection. It's like it's always been here but I never knew it. I can fix things.
1.D Write in.

How about the sword?
2.A I take the sword.
2.B I leave the sword.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hows our stomach?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

CA

Yessss, clearly we've been chosen for greatness! Embrace it! We will remake the world in our image, starting with this room!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

LowellDND posted:

Hows our stomach?

Your blood freezes in your veins, a sword had been in your waist moments before! Your free hand clamps onto the spot where you had been pierced but instead of the warm pumping blood you expected all you feel is your tunic. Looking down you see that your tunic is undamaged. You take an experimental tug and try pushing but everything behaves perfectly normally.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sounds good. CA

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
B & B

Kid is either the luckiest poo poo scraper alive or destined to be a goddamn legend of a magician. Successfully using dhar on his first ever brush with magic is kind of a big deal. Still, it's the kind of big deal that risks us being hunted by entire orders of witch hunters.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B, B
fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tran posted:

B & B

Kid is either the luckiest poo poo scraper alive or destined to be a goddamn legend of a magician. Successfully using dhar on his first ever brush with magic is kind of a big deal. Still, it's the kind of big deal that risks us being hunted by entire orders of witch hunters.
Sure why not, BB

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
CA

Oh, hey, we can fix things! Let's magic some more!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
If we keep magicking, soon enough out entire lineage will be sterile and the whole temple of Verena pantsless can we please stop while we still have pants

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Do we still have pants? :ohdear:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I think we still have them but if some of the voters have their way our pants will end up running away with our skeleton to go on buddycop adventures while we languish on the temple floor as a boneless pile of shamefully unclothed flesh and magic.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
We could magic up some new pants and bones, should that ever come to pass.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
What if the ritual requires waving and all we can do is flop because our skeleton ran away because it felt we were holding it back?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Waci posted:

What if the ritual requires waving and all we can do is flop because our skeleton ran away because it felt we were holding it back?

Well, there's a priest or two in here that probably won't be needing their bones for much longer...

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Goddammit I just wanted to see a temple and maybe pray a bit, find our faith, and now here we are, serving Tzeentch and stealing people's skeletons.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
B, B, and once everyone is safe run the gently caress to the priest who gave us the gold. Holy crap holy crap holy crap

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Or just talk to a priets of Verena and ask what we should do. They'll point us to the colleges of magic, or to the proper authorities.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

As our unfortunate prodigy is just a kid, he probably won't be burned at the stake for this. At least so long as we stop literally melting the faces off of people.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Eh, melt the stake.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tran posted:

As our unfortunate prodigy is just a kid, he probably won't be burned at the stake for this. At least so long as we stop literally melting the faces off of people.

Exactly, and Vereneans are one of the few 40k factions that actually do things like "due process" and "intent" and "fair judgement", so I'd rather be caught by them for being an unlicensed wizard (since we didn't know either, and can still be shipped off to wizard school), rather than by a random witch hunter.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
BB wins, narrowly avoiding our first potential Bad End!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Apocron posted:

BB wins, narrowly avoiding our first potential Bad End!
Good, I wanna see this guy develop a bit

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Sorry for the long break. I got a bit lost after having to reorient myself the fact that you guys weren't going to suicidally commit to chaos.

Time crawls…

You make your way around the heavy desk to the sobbing priestess. The beauty you had spied from the doorway seems a faraway from the broken woman at your mercy. You stand at a loss, comforting not only your elder, but also a member of the opposite sex, is far beyond your humble experiences working on the ferry.

“VerenaVerenaVerena.”

You lay a hand on her shoulder. You want to say something comforting, something encouraging, something, anything. As you hesitate the smell f the burnt man behind you causes your skin to crawl.

How had your world come to this? It felt like everything had broken down when you decided to leave the raft. It had seemed innocuous, exciting even, slipping out, experiencing freedom. Was this punishment? Konrad had never paid much attention to the spiritual. They seemed far removed from the slums around the docks. Father Pauleus had been kind and helpful, but…

1A: The gods have forsaken me. I will forsake them.

1B: This must be a call to pursue the gods fervently

1C: This is the work of those dark ones. I must be more superstitious.

1D: Write in.

As you struggle, hand on the priestess’s shoulder, you feel a presence at the door. Peeking over the desk you see a man with a ruddy red face encompassed by bushy, coarse brown hair. He wears a flowing white robe with silver embroidery and holds a codex in his hands. His expression is wide eyed due to the scene splayed out before him. You stand up, moving to profess your innocence, but the moment you show yourself from behind the desk his eyes fix on you. Before you can utter a word your vision is engulfed in white and silence.

You awake to stale air in your nostrils. The room is dark, too dark to make out any details. You can feel cold manacles holding you, hand and foot, to a wooden chair. Your throat burns and you gag as you realize that some sort of cloth has been forced into your mouth. You try to spit it out but the attempt is futile as it is held in place by another cloth wrapped around your lower face. Tears stream down your cheeks, your joints scream, the pain and confusion you feel overwhelms you into unconsciousness.

When you next awake the room is suffused with a gentle light. Sitting before you is the man who found you at the temple of Verena but his robes look grey in these dim surroundings. Your vision is blurred, swaying from his face to the walls covered in angular writing and back to a cup of water he holds in front of you.

“Drink boy.”

You are pouring the water into your mouth before you realize the gag and manacles are no longer restraining your hands. As you pour the cool, refreshing, luxurious, life giving, ambrosia into your fiery throat your eyes focus a little better. You see the man is watching you, the set of his brow and mouth are set firmly but his eyes regard you with a certain softness.

“Boy, why are you here?”

2A: Truth – I channeled some magical force.

2B: True – I don’t really remember.

2C: Lie – I don’t really remember.

2D: Write in.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AC

No gods, no masters!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Apocron posted:

Sorry for the long break. I got a bit lost after having to reorient myself the fact that you guys weren't going to suicidally commit to chaos.

I know that feeling :v: It's all good, we enjoy your writing.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

AC

No gods, no masters!

And this :anarchists:

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

CB

I fear this guy can probably tell if were lying if he was able to make us fall to our knee and blackout immediately, so I feel like lying to him would be a bad idea. But were still a kid so we probably have no clue what going on, and as a kid we aren't going to go all GODS HAVE ABANDONED me, if anything we'll just get more scared of pissing them off more. The NO GODS NO MASTERS thing can happen once we've learned enough to not get ourselves killed or possessed by just existing.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
If he's a priest of Verena he probably does have divine lie-detecting powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

C & B

Everyone knows devils delight in tormenting Sigmar's children. As for the truth of the matter, there's no way some poor dumb boat kid knows what he just did in there.

• Locked thread