Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tran posted:

C & B

Everyone knows devils delight in tormenting Sigmar's children. As for the truth of the matter, there's no way some poor dumb boat kid knows what he just did in there.
I'm probably just gonna second Tran's vote every time here. This is what I was leaning towards anyway. CB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
1B
2B

Warhammer Fantasy gods are actually cool, and even if we don't become a priest, we should pay attention to them. gently caress your no gods no masters anti-authoritarian gimmick, Verena and Shallya are awesome and deserve our praise.

Whether this guy is a priest of Verena or a witch hunter, lying would be a terrible idea. Please don't commit suicide by cop.

Waci fucked around with this message at 19:18 on May 27, 2016

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1D If the Gods can prove themselves useful in gaining mastery of this gift, then I see value in them. Otherwise...

2D "You tell me. I was in the temple to Verena, then manacled in a cell, and now I am here, but of your volition, not mine. So, in order for me to answer truthful and full, I must in turn ask: Why am I here?"

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
1D: I am over my head and Father Pauleus is my only hope for answers right now. 2D: I don't understand what what happened. A guy was about to kill a lady, then there were sensations, then I got stabbed, then he died, then I wasn't stabbed anymore, and then I wound up here.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Vote currently stands at:

A: 2
B: 1
C: 3
D Waci 1
D AJ: 1
D RandomPaul: 1

A: 0
B: 3
D Waci: 1
D AJ: 1
D RandomPaul: 1

By my count.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 08:37 on May 28, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I had two D's also.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Sorry, adjusted the count.

haunted bear tale
May 14, 2013
A C

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Voting 1A is a path for a bad end in this setting, just FYI

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'm pretty sure I voted for B for both options, not D.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Voting 1A is a path for a bad end in this setting, just FYI

For this weak slave of Verena, perhaps. We have proven our strength, tapped into a power that that petty gods of men cannot hope to understand or match! A new world awaits us, one free of divine chains, we only have to make it!

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

For this weak slave of Verena, perhaps. We have proven our strength, tapped into a power that that petty gods of men cannot hope to understand or match! A new world awaits us, one free of divine chains, we only have to make it!

More than 95% of the population would turn us over to the witch hunters for a proper pyre if anyone even thought that is what we believe.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Waci posted:

I'm pretty sure I voted for B for both options, not D.

Sorry if I misread your B's as D's and thanks for posting for clarification. I'll make sure to change it when I make the final count.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Apocron posted:

Sorry if I misread your B's as D's and thanks for posting for clarification. I'll make sure to change it when I make the final count.

It's ok, just wanted to clarify that my votes were for B even if my post included additional explanation of my reasons for doing so that might have been construed as Ds. Thank you for your understanding.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tran posted:

More than 95% of the population would turn us over to the witch hunters for a proper pyre if anyone even thought that is what we believe.
"Who cares about the Witch Hunters, no mods no masters, we can take them"

We're a dumb as poo poo teenager who knows nothing is what we are

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
If I'm right the count is now:

A: 3
B: 1
D: 1/1

A: 0
B: 4
D: 1/1

Which leave us in need of a tie breaker!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ok flipping the coin on the tie break and we got heads which means the winning vote is:

1.A
2.B

Voting closed.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Blowing in the Wind

You feel your heart leap to your throat. The question feels loaded and you know that if you answer it wrong that you could die here and now. Your mind begins searching around. What had happened? Why am I here?

The more you try and understand the more what happened seems distant and alien. You remember win, fire, crying but what happened is unclear. Like a dream you remembered just moments ago but now elides any attempt to be put into words.

Tears well up in your eyes. Tears of confusion. Tears of fear. Tears of anger at the gods that had put you here and now. In your heart you cursed the street of the gods that had been your pathway to this dark place. You would sooner cut your hand off than ever cast another coin into the coffers of Ranald or any of the other "gods." If Sigmar had ascended then you thought surely it must have been a curse. Better if he had just died a legend than live as one of the slanted pillars that supported this crooked world.

As your mind races you feel the man's eyes tracing your shifting expressions, discerning your intentions. Finally you settle for the truth.

"I don't know."

You sit in silence. He doesn't seem perturbed by your exclamation. He doesn't rage at you to confess or take your head off in judgement. Just looks at you.

"Well boy, it was magic."

Magic?

"I know that look. How could it be magic. Damned if I know. I've been working with it since I was a lad myself and still don't understand it. The wind blows where it wills and we have no clue why it goes hither or tither. But it was magic that breathed through you boy. And that's special. Some people would have your tongue cut out and salted, your hands and feet chopped off and sent to the four corners of the empire and your body sent to the bottom of the river Reik for just breathing it too."

His words cause your eyes to widen. Magic. Witchcraft. Chaos. You'd seen people burned from it before. Thrown sticks onto the pyre and cheered yourself. This couldn't be...

"But I don't see things that way."

He stands up and raises you up off your chair with a firm hand so that you stand before him.

"Some people think the winds are chaos itself and must be observed, forecast and controlled as much as possible. But me? I think these winds know more than we. I think you were chosen. And now it's your choice what to do. The one thing you cannot choose is to go back to the way things were before."

A"You can choose to try and use your powers yourself. If you do you could do much good. Healing ailments, working amongst the common people like many hedge wizards do to ease the lot amongst the working man."

B"You can choose to learn. The winds you felt are far too much for any one man or woman to grasp. Here in the city we have colleges dedicated to training those with the gift such as yours. I pursued that path and there is much good to be done, though like any path there is danger. Others who will want to control you and use you."

C"You could choose to travel. I wouldn't recommend it but like I said the wind blows where it wills and perhaps you will find a place in this world where you will learn things you could never learn in the classroom. You would be in great danger of being misunderstood and burned for your gift."

D"Finally, there is the path which I cannot recommend but lies dark in every person's heart. If you were to pursue such a path then your journey ends here."

When he finishes his lecture his stern face breaks into a broad, easy smile.

"My name is Bran Bruckenhawer. Wizard of the Light Order."

He reaches across and shakes your hand vigorously.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Best to be prepared for what is to come. Let's get educated. B

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Questions

Is there any way I can learn and then help the common people like a hedge wizard? Like some sort of super-hedge wizard?

For the path that lies dark in every person's heart, that's using it for some sort of evil purpose right? Or is it using it in any way that benefits us and that doesn't help other people?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B

This is a trap vote with 3 out of 4 options being "burn at the stake" at best.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

B

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waci posted:

B

This is a trap vote with 3 out of 4 options being "burn at the stake" at best.

Only if they catch you!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kind of wonder if hes a dark wizard in deep cover, and just does the whole 'if you choose darkness your journey ends here' to filter out the less worthy.

Vote D is what Im saying :unsmigghh:

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Kind of wonder if hes a dark wizard in deep cover, and just does the whole 'if you choose darkness your journey ends here' to filter out the less worthy.

Vote D is what Im saying :unsmigghh:

Hey man, I will if you will, as long as hobo healer doesn't look like it'll come out on top.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
To be honest, the only reason I can imagine for voting for hobo healer instead of educated and licensed healer that doesn't get shot by the cops after accidentally summoning a daemon instead of a bandage would be to piss in your cheerios.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Seems like B is the most popular. One question that maybe isn't worth an update is will you go back to your dad's house or not? You've been missing for a few days so he's liable to be pissed and he's unlikely to be pumped about you going to Wizard school. But did he did out a roof over your head and give you steady employment.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Nah, we don't need him anymore. I would like to go back and visit him once we've graduated though, just show him how far we were able to go without him.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Honestly, I could see the appeal of being a Hedge Wizard. It kind of means you can be a free agent, not directly beholden to Chaos, nor part of the Imperial Warmachine. It's a dangerous, a short life, and you can always end up falling, but I can see its appeal.

You know what?
A No gods, no masters. We won't be as powerful, but we will be free as the winds of magic, even if those same winds might snuff us out like a candle sooner than later.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
B: The path least likely to end in catastrophic implosion.

Hedge wizards have an extremely high likelihood of ending their lives with a splortch sound.

Edit: Oh, and it should be mentioned that learning one school's methods doesn't necessarily prevent us from learning other magical traditions later. It'd be highly irregular, but not completely unheard of.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
B

Got to go to meteor-summoning school.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Being trained by the colleges doesn't mean necessarily becoming an imperial battle wizard. We can become a travelling healer later even if we become a licensed member of the Light Order, which would also be helpful when it comes not having us and anyone who has possibly heard of us burned alive.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Just going to reiterate this since I only got one response and it affects the flavour of the game a bit.

Are we wholesale abandoning our former life for Wizard school and claiming to be an orphan or are we going to visit our father before we try and go to Wizard school?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Orphan works for me.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Wyzard Lyfe

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

New life, shed the old.

Most colleges would encourage the boy to abandon past attachments anyway, and it's entirely likely his father would disown him on learning he's a witch.

Edit:

Waci posted:

I'd say consider our personal knowledge of our father, and if we don't think he would disown us on the spot, go visit him. We can remind him that hint hint wizards tend to make mad bucks when older, sure we wont be scraping anyone's arse for a few years, but a decade down the line we can have our own personal scraper.

I don't actually want to become shamelessly capitalist, but we don't need to tell the old man that.

Alright, sure. That's reasonable.

Tran fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 31, 2016

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I'd say consider our personal knowledge of our father, and if we don't think he would disown us on the spot, go visit him. We can remind him that hint hint wizards tend to make mad bucks when older, sure we wont be scraping anyone's arse for a few years, but a decade down the line we can have our own personal scraper.

I don't actually want to become shamelessly capitalist, but we don't need to tell the old man that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waci posted:

I like this idea.

Also B for me too.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Waci posted:

Since nothing like this has happened before you're not sure how he'll take it. You know that he has an explosive temper, is controlling and becoming rich is his goal in life. Having said that, although he clips you round the ear occasionally he's never been abusive so that you really feared for your safety and seems to take his responsibility to provide for you seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Once you finish your study being part of the Colleges of Magic is sort of like being part of a guild. You have your skills, so you can go out and do stuff as a representative of the Colleges. I think the Colleges handles most of the high-end official placements so if you want to be the court wizard of some Elector or be assigned to advise a general or whatever you have to go through them.

Staying at the Colleges for your whole life learning stuff and doing experiments is a viable yet extremely boring career path. The real fun and profit comes from wandering around solving/causing disasters.

• Locked thread