Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

i can't help but think if the teenage me knew that i would look back on these games as the best video game experiences i will ever have...

he'd be a little pissed off, what the gently caress happened? how did we gently caress up so hard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Mandator posted:

i can't help but think if the teenage me knew that i would look back on these games as the best video game experiences i will ever have...

he'd be a little pissed off, what the gently caress happened? how did we gently caress up so hard?

After awhile people realized that they need money to make this stuff. That and the games that kept coming out had little to no support to make mods. That's why we went from custom maps for days in Counter Strike (alot of lovely maps, some really really good), to having to pay 15 bucks for three maybe well made maps in Call of Duty 4 and above.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Fargin Icehole posted:

After awhile people realized that they need money to make this stuff. That and the games that kept coming out had little to no support to make mods. That's why we went from custom maps for days in Counter Strike (alot of lovely maps, some really really good), to having to pay 15 bucks for three maybe well made maps in Call of Duty 4 and above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39BIdOP0D6E

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

The best mod, which has already been mentioned in this thread sven coop, still has active servers and is free even if you don't have a copy of half life 1.

Macrowave Oven
Nov 20, 2008

Guitar, bass, drums, keyboards, clavinet, piano, keytar, lap steel guitar, slide bass guitar, mandolin, violin, and FRESH POTS.

Mandator posted:

any love for battlegrounds or bgmod as we called it?

it made way for mount & blade napoleonic wars

Oh my goodness why was that game fun. I felt like it was boring but I distinctly remember sensations of fun

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Macrowave Oven posted:

Oh my goodness why was that game fun. I felt like it was boring but I distinctly remember sensations of fun

novelty? everyone cared more about the concept of the game than winning so impromptu line battles were common

especially on that snow lake level

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
Oh I also forgot, shoutout to hl2jks. The best half-life mod.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
No mention of Scientist Killing Club I don't think, had a lot of fun with that.

There were lots of good Quake mods too, I probably played more Quake Rally than the original game.

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers
Half-Life mods, Tribes, and Diablo II were really the halcyon era of gaming.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
What was that one single player one that ended up being sold stand-alone were you were some space bounty hunter or something and you had like weird confederate uniforms.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Spoke Lee posted:

What was that one single player one that ended up being sold stand-alone were you were some space bounty hunter or something and you had like weird confederate uniforms.

I think you're thinking of the one you had to pay for that was made by a company? Forgot the name

EDIT: Gunman Chronicles. That's the one.

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
That's the one, was it any good? I played like an hour at a friends house and it seemed cool. Had like some kinda Judge Dredd meets Cadillacs and Dinosaurs vibe.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i think the big mod game in this day and age is more minecraft

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Pound_Coin posted:

I blame stat tracking poo poo, like, BF1942 had a ton of mods and poo poo like total retardation, but then comes BF2 where you have an account with persistent stats and ranks that could take weeks to climb at the upper end to get a new gun, suddnely not even half as many mods as everyones too invested in MY KDR

:corsair:

amen, I play TF2 without the regard that steam exists. No main class.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

BlueBlazer posted:

amen, I play TF2 without the regard that steam exists. No main class.

I play tf2 exclusively to troll, and it fills me with glee

everyone hates the battle medic

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Pound_Coin posted:

I blame stat tracking poo poo, like, BF1942 had a ton of mods and poo poo like total retardation, but then comes BF2 where you have an account with persistent stats and ranks that could take weeks to climb at the upper end to get a new gun, suddnely not even half as many mods as everyones too invested in MY KDR

:corsair:

I'm glad that the only thing leveling does in Overwatch is unlock skins and poses and sprays and voices and poo poo. But yeah, stat tracking really did a number on FPSs. I don't recall Battlefield 2 having that though? There weren't any guns to unlock as far as I remember, that came after in BF3. BF2 was full of a bunch of ridiculously fun and funny poo poo you could do -- it was the last game of that series worth playing.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

LGD posted:

Also a big fan of The Opera, even if it never *quite* lived up to its potential it was rad as heck to do wall flips and headshot people with your pistols while diving through the air

Another mod that was in development hell for so long by the time it actually had a release no one really cared anymore.

Still had a HEAP of fun playing its single player mook maps though. Game was really well done but youre right in that it never quite lived up to its potential.

Part of the problem is the development teams trying to act like a proper game studio and "releasing when its 100%" which just ignores the fact that people doing it in their spare time is incredibly unreliable. The mods that released early and updated incrementally were the ones that succeeded.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Mandator posted:

game tech budgets scaled and so did consumer expectations for graphics mainly

games stayed simple, making weird interesting games match consumer aesthetic demands isn't sustainable given how hard it is to make even simple games look decent

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I remember this weird mod that had you ending up in like heaven or something and there were ghosts/holograms of the enemies you killed and also anime wallpapers everywhere.

HELP?

Flavor Truck
Nov 5, 2007

My Love for You is like a Truck
Science & Industry was pretty good.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Spoke Lee posted:

That's the one, was it any good? I played like an hour at a friends house and it seemed cool. Had like some kinda Judge Dredd meets Cadillacs and Dinosaurs vibe.

I personally loved it, and had always held out the hope there would be sequel. The game was all about super customizeable weapons, and I loved the setting.

It also had DM and basic poo poo like that, but not many people played it.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

the best part of cs for me were the nipper maps. anyone up for some crazy car?????

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

ive played cs since beta 1 like when you didnt spawn with money and only 2 clips so the first round almost always ended in a knife fight

action: half-life is missing here and i liked the high damage and the game modes and whatever but a neat thing were the secret levels in Hondo's maps that were obtuse and very hard to figure out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjdpxPegMk8

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
sven co-op had loads of hosed up levels that made no sense and it owned

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Jesus Christ posted:

I'm glad that the only thing leveling does in Overwatch is unlock skins and poses and sprays and voices and poo poo. But yeah, stat tracking really did a number on FPSs. I don't recall Battlefield 2 having that though? There weren't any guns to unlock as far as I remember, that came after in BF3. BF2 was full of a bunch of ridiculously fun and funny poo poo you could do -- it was the last game of that series worth playing.

Vanilla wasn't too bad, there were only 6 unlocks, 1 alternate gun for each class and you could get them all by the time you hit 20k total points on a account, but then all the expansion packs like SF, euro and armoured fury added another unlock per class and poo poo just got silly, to this day I don't think i got half of them.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Phobophilia posted:

i think the big mod game in this day and age is more minecraft

Fallout and elder scrolls as well

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Jesus Christ posted:

Half-Life mods, Tribes, and Diablo II were really the halcyon era of gaming.

I'd add a few more things like Command & Conquer, the LucasArts adventure games, but yeah really it was this late 90s/early 00s period the golden age of videogaming

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Justin Tyme posted:

BF1942 Galactic Conquest motherfuckers. Simply being able to walk around inside stuff as it was flying all over the place was something else, no matter how janky it was.

Any BF1942 mod really. Desert Combat (Battlefield 2 and 3 lol) , BF 1918 (Battlefield 1 lol), Forgotten Hope. They were all so great.

Silent Heroes was a mod about a war between :sweden: and :norway: and it was amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyIBWkau9Q4

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Lot of helmcamming hijinks in anything which let people go prone but overall A Good Time. The Trenches was a fairly sick mod, although BF1918 kinda pissed on it.

e: that said UT99 mod Infiltration is still in my brain at least the best "real combat" mod ever. Had some really good mechanics involving weapon length that haven't been copied despite being solid.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
TacOps for UT99 was pretty fun for a CS clone until they released a retail version and the player base collapsed. There was a similar mod for the Q3A engine whose name I can't recall right now, but it wasn't as good

It's not a mod, but Wolfenstein Enemy Territory was probably the best free game

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

jBrereton posted:

Lot of helmcamming hijinks in anything which let people go prone but overall A Good Time. The Trenches was a fairly sick mod, although BF1918 kinda pissed on it.

e: that said UT99 mod Infiltration is still in my brain at least the best "real combat" mod ever. Had some really good mechanics involving weapon length that haven't been copied despite being solid.

Nice to see someone else liked Infiltration. I loved the grenade launcher with the multi-staged ladder sight that could be real trouble unless you knew how to use it. It was a change of pace from the "noob tubes" they usually are in most games.

Supposedly Criterion Games' Black used physical weapons where you could get snagged on a door jam or break windows by accident. The only improvement I could see on the weapon length would be to allow other players to grab or parry longer weapons with their off-hand, making guys with knives or pistols or even unarmed deadly in close-quarters if you were stupid enough to run with your sniper rifle out.

TracerBullet
Apr 26, 2003

Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it.

Doctor Rope
Agreed on Action HL - that game was most certainly my poo poo. I felt it did a great job of balancing the 'action movie' stuff of diving and akimbo guns with the low HP, one-shot headshots that made for really tense fire fights. With the added bonus of all the maps being really good and designed with 'action' in mind I always had a great time.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Philosopher King posted:

Earth Special Forces (Dragonball Z) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0NKxgX7hTs

Apparently they've kept up with modding this game and the new rendition looks pretty good. I remember getting my rear end handed to me by one of the coders for this game.

That was the modding community back then, it was so small you ended up playing the guy who made the game.

How it looks today - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCL5I39yQE8

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was big into this...and now I've got to try out the newest updated version. Thanks for the inspiration!

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

ZPS was the bomb.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not the HL1 era, but what was that one UT2004 mod that added a bunch of over the top but ridiculously satisfying guns?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I am very glad that doom modding is still highly alive and active

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

Ahundredbux posted:

Brutal Doom is like a whole new game, but in the same maps. Gore aside, the new guns and mechanics are great.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ahundredbux posted:

Calling Brutal Doom "better than Doom" in Games is an easy way to bait a whole bunch of people.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I saw someone hating on brutal doom because the gore was trying too hard to be edgy

Hmm yes I shot the top of this skeleton of now his whacky skeleton legs are running around help the edge is too much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Mordja posted:

Calling Brutal Doom "better than Doom" in Games is an easy way to bait a whole bunch of people.

It's even easier in the new YCS forum, they get twice as triggered.

• Locked thread