Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Microsoft SQL Server is the best, thread loving over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ok I'll allow a limited number of alternative SQL databases. Go

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

postgres rules everything around me

also get out you're a fuckin terrible poster

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lmfao

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

first post to refute the ultimate truth of my post, and you bring up loving postgres

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph im requestin' a pity ban for the op here

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop
who cares, sql is shite that needs to be used sometimes, and it's very boring

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

who cares, sql is shite that needs to be used sometimes, and it's very boring

SQL is more important to the modern economy than anything you do on the reg

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

SQL server has had absolutely no parallel since 2012. Maybe oracle but that poo poo is loving expensive for what you get.

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

Captain Foo posted:

it's still very boring though.

LP0 ON FIRE
Jan 25, 2006

beep boop

Captain Foo posted:

important and boring. just like it's very difficult to master the game go, go is still boring

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

microsoft are even putting it on linux now so really there is no excuse to not use it if you're actually serious about your databases

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

im enjoying* the op taking the anti-shaggar gimmick in one thread and the shaggar gimmick in another

*not in the least

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

mongodb, the database of idiots who think fat32 permissions are too complicated

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

mongodb, the database of idiots who think fat32 permissions are too complicated

write permission equivalent to /dev/null, read permission equivalent to /dev/zero

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

qhat posted:

SQL server has had absolutely no parallel since 2012. Maybe oracle but that poo poo is loving expensive for what you get.

we had three different oracle db's manage to corrupt themselves while rebooting for patches this month. never had a single blip on the mssql ones. oracle is for SAP backends or if you hate yourself and love to do a bunch of bullshit busywork to justify your existence

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

gas op ban thread

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
This thread while Tori is probed? Cowardly move, bitch.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

This thread while Tori is probed? Cowardly move, bitch.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sqlite op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

im going to say the phrase db2 and see what happens

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

im enjoying* the op taking the anti-shaggar gimmick in one thread and the shaggar gimmick in another

*not in the least

this has nothing to do with gimmicks. to tell you the truth i really don't like windows poo poo but i have to hand it to microsoft, SQL Server is ridiculously versatile.

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

my company uses oracle. that's not the funny part. the funny part is that we promoted half the DBAs to management and fired almost all the rest, so if we want a table change it's a 2+ month wait. DBAs dont actually design the table changes, they just make sure the table and column names fit with the company policy and press the "Approve" button. upper management is helpless to fix the situation

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

yard salad posted:

my company uses oracle. that's not the funny part. the funny part is that we promoted half the DBAs to management and fired almost all the rest, so if we want a table change it's a 2+ month wait. DBAs dont actually design the table changes, they just make sure the table and column names fit with the company policy and press the "Approve" button. upper management is helpless to fix the situation

:wtc:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

this has nothing to do with gimmicks. to tell you the truth i really don't like windows poo poo but i have to hand it to microsoft, SQL Server is ridiculously versatile.

you're out of your depth.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

you're out of your depth.

sounds like you have something interesting to say about this database technology. let's hear it then

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

qhat posted:

sounds like you have something interesting to say about this database technology. let's hear it then
I will GRANT that mssql is better than your posts

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

it's really weird up how oracle's hosed up proprietary sql syntax is frozen immediately at the moment when it got really huge and popular

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

when would you use postgres instead of mysql besides hating on the man, the myth, the legend

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
mariadb is a good database (works) but i hear postgres is faster. my queries are simple though so why bother changing what works.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

paying for oracle DB indirectly contributed to a federal judge learning java, so that's a mega argument in one column or another for oracle, but I can't tell which tbqh

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Share Bear posted:

when would you use postgres instead of mysql besides hating on the man, the myth, the legend

when you need to do more than just shove data in tables and then retrieve the exact same thing later. or you need to use an index more complex than a b-tree or hash. or you actually care about transaction support for more than crud operations. or you sort of care about preserving the integrity of your database and not being able to do poo poo like deleting the tables behind your views without your db having a problem with that

i can't say that the mysql c client barfing out gigabytes of warnings at me the last time i had to compile it really helped my perception either

i'm also gonna say db2 is the best even though i've never used it or read anything about it since i really like mainframes and that kind of fancy hardware crap

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i have to use embarcadero software sometimes at work and that poo poo is the loving worst.

not a db but i just wanted to say it

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

mariadb is a good database (works) but i hear postgres is faster. my queries are simple though so why bother changing what works.

hope you've intenalised the 1000 weird mysql edge cases
here's a bunch of them from someone who likes mysql http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/ricksrots
eg

quote:

⚈ OR may be very inefficient; turn into UNION.

ah yes, good query optimiser we have here

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
mysql has a query optimizer?

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i mean, other than the dude you pay to rewrite queries all day

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It doesn't matter which one you use because your boss wants to store every single hit to the website in a single 300gb table with no index.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

my stepdads beer posted:

hope you've intenalised the 1000 weird mysql edge cases
here's a bunch of them from someone who likes mysql http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/ricksrots
eg

ah yes, good query optimiser we have here

Although you could probably make a list this large on the MSSQL MERGE syntax alone

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

YeOldeButchere posted:

mysql has a query optimizer?

the best thing about mysql is the stored procedures don't have their query plans cached server side. they are generated every single time a connection is opened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Share Bear posted:

Also if you care about standards

If you're doing a group by and try to include a column in the select statement that isn't part of the group by then every other SQL backend complains, but MySQL will just helpfully return some value without complaining making it seem like it's correct and then later the query planner fucks you and actually returns a different unexpected value.

If you ask MySQL to return a null date column it will instead return 0000-00-00 which then breaks your Java code, hopefully your admin changed the mode of MySQL to not do this poo poo

• Locked thread