Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

mariadb is a good database (works) but i hear postgres is faster. my queries are simple though so why bother changing what works.

hope you've intenalised the 1000 weird mysql edge cases
here's a bunch of them from someone who likes mysql http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/ricksrots
eg

quote:

⚈ OR may be very inefficient; turn into UNION.

ah yes, good query optimiser we have here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Salt Fish posted:

It doesn't matter which one you use because your boss wants to store every single hit to the website in a single 300gb table with no index.

*adds index to speed up reporting, website slows to a crawl due to huge index size*

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

tmesis posted:

we use mysql and we put it on os x and we like it that way

um

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

SpaceAceJase posted:

Debian mysql stack

don't even say mysql is good tia

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

qhat posted:

it's un loving believable the amount of hoops you have to jump through to get that DB to work well enough to be considered production ready. but hey i guess if you hate stored procedures and replication because you see those features as just unnecessary and for spergs only, then go loving nuts

isn't it just?? getting a slave up on a large existing database is a huge pain in the dick that involves special percona perl tools that barely work and non trivial amounts of downtime due to needing a long global lock on the master. or even more downtime if you do it hte official way and shutdown the master and rsync the data the slave

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

300gb. bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i had some troubles with a percona cluster today, because selinux was enabled. the official advice from percona was "just disable selinux lol". php level garbage.

• Locked thread