Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Microsoft SQL Server is the best, thread loving over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Ok I'll allow a limited number of alternative SQL databases. Go

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lmfao

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

first post to refute the ultimate truth of my post, and you bring up loving postgres

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

SQL server has had absolutely no parallel since 2012. Maybe oracle but that poo poo is loving expensive for what you get.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

microsoft are even putting it on linux now so really there is no excuse to not use it if you're actually serious about your databases

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

im enjoying* the op taking the anti-shaggar gimmick in one thread and the shaggar gimmick in another

*not in the least

this has nothing to do with gimmicks. to tell you the truth i really don't like windows poo poo but i have to hand it to microsoft, SQL Server is ridiculously versatile.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

yard salad posted:

my company uses oracle. that's not the funny part. the funny part is that we promoted half the DBAs to management and fired almost all the rest, so if we want a table change it's a 2+ month wait. DBAs dont actually design the table changes, they just make sure the table and column names fit with the company policy and press the "Approve" button. upper management is helpless to fix the situation

:wtc:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Captain Foo posted:

you're out of your depth.

sounds like you have something interesting to say about this database technology. let's hear it then

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

my stepdads beer posted:

hope you've intenalised the 1000 weird mysql edge cases
here's a bunch of them from someone who likes mysql http://mysql.rjweb.org/doc.php/ricksrots
eg

ah yes, good query optimiser we have here

Although you could probably make a list this large on the MSSQL MERGE syntax alone

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

YeOldeButchere posted:

mysql has a query optimizer?

the best thing about mysql is the stored procedures don't have their query plans cached server side. they are generated every single time a connection is opened.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

At least mysql has on the wire compression going for it. It's a real shame nothing like that is supported by SQL server.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Yes?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

tef posted:

isn't that about the same time it got row numbering, or was that 2008

2012 was the first version that came with alwayson availability groups, which are super great

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Share Bear posted:

im curious how mysql got more adoption than postgres, or seems to have been more widely adopted in the 00s

i'd be money on the default php library being made to target it or something like that

mongo is a pos i will never work with mongo again as long as i live unless the money is really good

yes it's because php

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I'm getting a poor vibe about oracle ITT. I mean I've not actually had to use it personally, and I've heard it has some nice performance features which are unrivaled, but also that it costs an order of magnitude higher than basically everything else. Databases corrupting themselves on a semi regular basis isn't something that sounds all that great to work with, however.

qhat fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 13, 2016

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Bloody posted:

we use a combination of xlsx, cvs, and mat files stored in SVN

lmaao

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

compuserved posted:

vertica is p deece for olap

yeah it is. it's also got a weird bug where if you're using more than say 2000+ placeholders in a query the driver will suck up many gigs of memory and won't give it back to the OS

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

how do you do foreign keys in excel

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

you know you can just save it all to csv and probably load it into an sqlite db in about 5 seconds right

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

akadajet posted:

but there are better dbs out there that don't have limits and run non-poo poo-tier OSes that don't require you to buy expensive licenses

for example

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i mean if you're making some awful hobbyist website then you can easily get away with mysql or even sqlite, or basically loving anything since it doesn't matter

but if you care about enterprise features for example not complete dog poo poo replication and failover then you should be seriously considering investing some money into what's going to be one of the most critical technologies in your business

and microsoft is putting sql server on linux soon anyway so the windows requirement won't even be a thing eventually

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

ok so he was talking about personal project things anyway but since there's no reason to use mysql in the real world then you're should probably learn how to make dbs the correct way, else you may as well just check plaintext csv files into svn because who cares

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

so it's at least equally as useful as mysql

nice

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

one thing that annoys me about sql server is SSMS 2014 is horse poo poo and doesn't save connection parameters in the dialog box so the program disconnects from the DB every 5 minutes and you have to type out the loving connection string again.

SSMS 2016 fixed that though so once again SQL server is the best

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

doesn't do that on my pc.

we use multisubnetfailover and idk if you use that but apparently it's a known problem, since without that option half of the connection attempts will just fail. they should just do the logical thing and have that setting as a checkbox somewhere like in visual studio, but they don't so idk. at least the connection parameters are actually saved between connection attempts now.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

why can you not trust the tool that has been provided by the exact same company that creates the database

apart from the fact that that company happens to be oracle

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's cool how you can make a boatload of money while knowing next to nothing about your primary trade

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Shaggar posted:

we have a consultant with us right now whos contracted for 6 months cause hes actually really goddamned good. first consultant I've ever met who knew what he was doing.

this is how i imagined it should be, you pay more money and you get someone who can do the job right now. evidently not though.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

zen death robot posted:

The Bible didn't tell them it was OK to set the systems max shared memory size to be absolute maximum a 64 bit OS would ever allow and go hog wild with SGA sizes and then bitch to me that the storage speeds are loving trash because they're swapping the loving DB cache out to disk constantly like a bunch of loving idiots/

Lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

zen death robot posted:

I mentioned they could just allow orcale to automatically handle the memory management and they argued with me that there's a "bug" that wouldn't allow them to use more memory than existed on the system.

Lmao

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Idk is Oracle one of those DB that expects you to start loving around with resource and memory management? I know some of our systems guys do that for Vertica but still end up blocking users out of the clusters when some team runs a huge data load.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

sql server can do that also

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"Why Do Computers Stop and What Can Be Done About It?" Lol

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

i've only ever implemented a non-trivial mysql production database once and that was and will be the last time

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

it's un loving believable the amount of hoops you have to jump through to get that DB to work well enough to be considered production ready. but hey i guess if you hate stored procedures and replication because you see those features as just unnecessary and for spergs only, then go loving nuts

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Tiny Bug Child posted:

you can do both of those things w MySQL and it's not hard

i already said you can do them but the way they are implemented in mysql is near totally worthless for production systems

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

why is that? just wondering because we have a thing in maria db and it sucks rear end and we want to go to post gres but we wont be able to get `platinum support` from our massive ops team so we're sorta stuck with mysql unless we want to support the db ourselves (we do not)

i was going to try to make the db situation better with sprocs but if that's not an option ugh

easily the most glaring and severe problem with mysql replication is it's all done in a single thread on the replicas. basically when changes happen on the master they get written to what's called a binary log, and when a slave connects to the master two threads are set up, one that streams the log constantly from the master and the other which executes replication events contained within the log. the thread which executes the replication events from the log is what i mean by single threaded being a limitation. i suppose it's not a huge deal if your use case is fairly small with a low amount of writes and mostly reads, but if you have fucktons of writes coming in then it's a real possibility that your replication will not be able to keep up. ratio doesn't even really matter with large enough DBs, eventually writes are going to scale up. we used to use mysql at our company back in the earlier days and the way we got around it was building an application layer toolkit which literally replicates write queries out to two identical db hosts lol. yeah it's ugly, especially when one of the boxes goes out of service for whatever reason, but still more scalable than dogshit mysql replication. now we use SQL server mostly though and it's great.

also wrt stored procedures, when most people think of server side stored procedures, they think about the performance benefits of having the query plans generated and cached server-side waiting and ready for any lucky soul who wants to call it. no not with mysql though, query plans are generated every single time for each new connection, so it's kind of pointless for application that have a high volume of re-connections (like basically any web app that doesn't cache connection objects).

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I know how to HTML is that like sql?

how about i inner join your face with a table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

lol i read that article about the nuclear material and saw "SQL Server 6.5" and thought god dang that's old as gently caress, but then i realised the article was written 14 years ago

• Locked thread