Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jesus. It's Maniac. I always thought it was Manic. Doy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maniac Mansion was in 1987, Day of the Tentacle was in 1993, and it's amazing how much changed between the two. Day of the Tentacle is worlds prettier and smoother and bigger than its predecessor, which is way more change than you'd see in 6 years these days.

Ron Gilbert also made The Cave, which is designed around the same principle of having a bunch of different characters who can solve the puzzles in different ways. Not sure how good it was.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I was hoping to have another DOTT video up but I've had nothing but a lot of technical issues during this window. One recording failed due to Steam updating itself during the middle of recording and deciding to take everything down with it, another was the recording software crapping out after the previous unexpected closure towards the end. I'm aiming to have something up over the weekend.

I've also decided not to continue with Maniac Mansion, I don't know what part of my brain made me miss BT already completing it in his LP. My original intention was to show off the remastered version of DOTT, I can do that without doing anything previously covered.

I'm going to add this to an amended OP, but for anyone who wants to learn more about Maniac Mansion I found a site that covers a lot of bases. It gives details about the characters, the different endings, different versions and a whole lot more. You can access it here if you wish to learn more: http://www.maniacmansionfan.50webs.com/index.html

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

This cover's the rest of Laverne's initial exploration with a few missed interactions. I thought I'd start off the puzzle solving with her as the other two have pretty much had two episodes devoted to themselves. I promise that there'll be a lot more puzzle solving in the next episode.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

So that's why Laverne is in med school, she loves cutting people. And she's been in jail for it at least once already.

I wonder how many puzzles she could solve a lot easier if she didn't have that agreement. Just saying. :ese:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The V.A.s of the main characters are all so good.

Edit: Homicidal Bernard is actually kinda scary.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 21, 2016

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

These characters are really rather charming. I really wish they had more games to their names.

That being said, I don't think I'd want Laverne to operate me, even after she gets her medical license.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This episode involves more puzzle solving, there's more that can be done with Laverne at this point but I thought that it's been a while since we've seen the other characters.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, you have to push a few old ladies down stairs. Bernard simply did that before the game started.

Edit: Hah, Franklin genuinely DID want the Turkey to be the national bird.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jun 30, 2016

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Chewing gum fresh from cheap motel floors. :gonk: :barf:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Hello,

Just to let you all know I haven't given up on this Let's Play. I was pretty ill for a while and through recovery a family holiday was around the corner. I didn't feel that recording a new video and then disappearing for another week or so would be fair. I probably should have updated sooner but I didn't expect to be out for so long as this was meant to be a short-lived LP. I apologise for the delay and services will be resumed shortly.

RBD.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Hello,

Just to let you all know I haven't given up on this Let's Play. I was pretty ill for a while and through recovery a family holiday was around the corner. I didn't feel that recording a new video and then disappearing for another week or so would be fair. I probably should have updated sooner but I didn't expect to be out for so long as this was meant to be a short-lived LP. I apologise for the delay and services will be resumed shortly.

RBD.

No problem. Real life is more important after all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Delvio posted:

No problem. Real life is more important after all.

What he said.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate it.

I'm pretty certain that this will be the penultimate episode, if I had realised that I was going to cut out five minutes of walking time this would be even closer to completion. I tried a little experimentation with things that I hadn't tried before, some worked out and some didn't. I think I've exhausted the dialogue options with the characters in their current situations, I know there's probably a lot of inventory moments that I've probably missed. My next day off is a week away but I'm planning to record the last episode over the weekend. If you have any suggestions or know of things that I've missed then it would probably be best to view them sooner rather than later.

Apologies again for the long delay.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Glad to see more of this. My son loved the Sam and Max LP, and we were enjoying this one together as well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How does Laverne know that a microwave can "really pop a hamster good"? :stare:

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!
Because you could do that exact thing in Maniac Mansion

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ah, that explains it. I haven't actually played that but a friend of mine has. Draining the pool was fun though.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Alas, Purple Tentacle becoming a G.O.P. politician is now perfectly believable, if not actually understated, nowadays.

Edit: Oh God, Dr. Fred's a sovcit? That explains so much...

Samovar fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Aug 4, 2016

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The clue to putting the sweater in the dryer with all the quarters, aside from the need for a tiny sweater in the future, is the sign on the wall saying "25c for 30 minutes". You've got enough quarters to run that dryer for 200 years.

There are actually a couple of things you can put in the Recyclotron in the future. I know the hubcap is one, and the trophy might be another. I don't remember whether you can throw in the gum once you've extracted the dime from it. None of these actions are at all useful, but you can do them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Lotish posted:

Glad to see more of this. My son loved the Sam and Max LP, and we were enjoying this one together as well.

Oh wow, I'm glad you're enjoying them with your son. This makes this even more worthwhile in continuing onwards. When I was ill and going through other stuff in real life I was in a frame of mind of just to jack it all in for a variety of reasons, even recording the latest I felt a lack of enthusiasm at first and had to re-record when I started to feel enjoyment in it again. This means a lot to me, thank you.

Nidoking posted:

The clue to putting the sweater in the dryer with all the quarters, aside from the need for a tiny sweater in the future, is the sign on the wall saying "25c for 30 minutes". You've got enough quarters to run that dryer for 200 years.

There are actually a couple of things you can put in the Recyclotron in the future. I know the hubcap is one, and the trophy might be another. I don't remember whether you can throw in the gum once you've extracted the dime from it. None of these actions are at all useful, but you can do them.

I completely forgot about that poster, even if I had I still probably wouldn't have made that connection. Thank you for the suggestions, I'll definitely try them out. I forgot about the hubcap until it emerged during gameplay, despite the numerous times I've played it I never found anything useful to use it with.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah I choose to watch the update on the ipad and he chose to watch it by lying on my back and jumping up and down whenever he saw something funny.

I remember he spent days repeating the Sammun-Mak chant.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The final episode! I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it. I completely forgot to try out some items on the recyclotron it doesn't detract from the main storyline.

Thank you everyone for coming along for a little ride, this didn't turn out as originally planned due to some issues with my PTSD and I apologise for the delays and not following through with Maniac Mansion. It's been enjoyable showing off the remaster, I said at the end of the video that the remake isn't perfect but I still think it's worthy. The icon system definitely needs some work along with the subtitles, there's no way that there should be missing\delayed\skipped dialogue in this day and age. But anyway, apart from a few niggles it's still one of the best adventure games ever made. I'm glad I did a short LP after the year and a half long Sam & Max marathon too. I'm already gearing up for the next project, it's going to take a lot of prep work initially for various reasons.

If anyone is interested I'm planning to LP The Journeyman Project trilogy. A big step away from LucasArts (and Telltale) and point and click. I've never played the first game, to be frank I've only actually completed the third in the series so I'm going to get myself familiar again with them before I proceed ahead.

Thank you again for your time, input, suggestion's and support.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

There actually is a second working phone, upstairs in the same room as the TV you see the diamond ad on originally.

Thanks for showcasing all this RBD. It's been a great trip down memory lane.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's weird to look up the voice actors and see what the rest of their careers were like. Hoagie's VA did a million other video game roles. Laverne's VA has barely done anything. Bernard's VA has had a fairly successful career, including an on-camera role on WKRP as Les Nessman.

Nice LP, look forward to whatever comes next.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Thank you for saving the world from being overrun by tentacles. :)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The resolution to the merging thing is possibly the best joke in the game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

After all the bizarre and convoluted hoops to fix the rest of the problems in this game, that the most seemingly awkward and bizarre should have the most mundane solution is pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

You don't mess with Laverne!

• Locked thread