Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

The Emperor of Drift really should be able to figure out that you're just going to turn the next universe into paperclips too and that by exiling you they're damning the next place over. Of course maybe it's solely a ploy to avoid being completely eradicated but that makes turning all of them back into clips even more justified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

The Emperor of Drift really should be able to figure out that you're just going to turn the next universe into paperclips too and that by exiling you they're damning the next place over. Of course maybe it's solely a ploy to avoid being completely eradicated but that makes turning all of them back into clips even more justified.
I think it's implied that they're uploading you to a simulacrum rather than sending you to another real universe by the text that shows up when you do that?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Is there any objectively best strategy for the prisoner's dilemma thing? I swear to god "beat last" takes the top spot every time I notice, which admittedly isn't often

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Danaru posted:

Is there any objectively best strategy for the prisoner's dilemma thing? I swear to god "beat last" takes the top spot every time I notice, which admittedly isn't often

Beat last followed by greedy/generous are the best in general. Specifics can really only be determined for individual matrices; I've seen tit for tat and generous win some, the b strategy won one round, etc. Once you have the upgrade that actually awards you more yomi for a top 3 winner pick you can notice this more easily, but unless you are very into micromanaging your tournaments you can't really go wrong with leaving it on beat last and letting the top 3 hits roll in. If you ARE into micromanaging your tournaments to win every time I hope you like math.

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
It's kinda lovely that ItRtG's offline bonus drops off a cliff after 9 hours offline. I get back from work after 9:30 and oh boy, I lose 2/3 of my offline bonus for that!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Seriously, play ITRTG with nox and Game Guardian at 20x speed. It's been pretty fun playing that way.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Consumed all the available materials and am now waiting for my factories to create 5 oct paperclips.

Looks like it is going to take ~2 hours, at 180 factories. Any way to speed this up beyond buying more factories? Wish i was mathy enough to be able to calculate how many factories to buy to get 5 cot faster, as oposed to making it take more time since i bought a too expensive factory.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Ineptitude posted:

Consumed all the available materials and am now waiting for my factories to create 5 oct paperclips.

Looks like it is going to take ~2 hours, at 180 factories. Any way to speed this up beyond buying more factories? Wish i was mathy enough to be able to calculate how many factories to buy to get 5 cot faster, as oposed to making it take more time since i bought a too expensive factory.

You get all the paperclips from them back when you disassemble them. Buy all the factories you can.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Exercu posted:

You get all the paperclips from them back when you disassemble them. Buy all the factories you can.

That makes sense, thanks. My post was worthless anyways as i got called away shortly after posting and returned 5 hours later to a different stage of the game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I did have one question about stage 3: is it completely random how many of your probes show up to each battle, making it impossible to win them all since you'll be outnumbered 10:1?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Sindai posted:

I did have one question about stage 3: is it completely random how many of your probes show up to each battle, making it impossible to win them all since you'll be outnumbered 10:1?

I believe it has something to do with the ratio of your total probes to the total drifters, but you will occasionally still get battles where you're massively outnumbered. Once you have a couple max swarm trust upgrades and speed counts for combat, it's pretty hard to lose a battle though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sindai posted:

Just keep 5-7 points in combat and forget about it. The upgrade giving you successively more honor is a red herring.

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 15, 2017

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
30 max trust is enough to win the game and you can get the honour for that through projects. The consecutive win bonus is nice to get there a bit faster but it's not that big a deal. My rule of thumb was: monitor the drifter numbers to make sure their numbers are being kept to about 5% of your total, and losses (hazard+combat+drift) is stable at about a third or less of your number of descendents.

So as a maths nerd I crunched the numbers. Growth is maximised at haz = 4-5 independent of any other factor. How much combat you need is more complicated, but intuitively if value drift is costing you less than hazard (which seems typical) you don't need to worry about it.

With hazard at 4-5, your growth is exponential with a rate parameter proportional to selfreplication - 3. So this should make clear how trust = 30 will approximately halve the time to complete the game, but going above that will bring diminishing returns.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 15, 2017

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Stage 3 is all about building probes. Maximize this. I used 4 combat and put up high self replication numbers. I kept most stats at zero until speed was a factor in combat, then i started putting points into speed and a couple into exploration. As the swarm earned me more points I made sure i had a point into each one.

Drones self replicate faster than factories build them.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Factories just make paperclips. As long as you're making enough that your probes are able to replicate, you're good. One point into factories is overkill, but the only option lower is zero, so just put a point in for a second or two every once in a while. Same with wire and mining.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Universal Paperclips was a surprisingly short, sweet, and ultimately poignant little implied story for an Idle Incremental.

Remember to always spay/neuter/shackle your AIs, people!

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Paperclips uuuhhh yeah I just got to stage 2 and that transition was loving awesome

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

oh my god this took literally 3 weeks to do but it's already been amazing the first few minutes

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I assume once you do the universe regeneration, there's nothing new to the game at any point as it just increments the universe type (and adds the bonuses,) right?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ghost of Starman posted:

Universal Paperclips was a surprisingly short, sweet, and ultimately poignant little implied story for an Idle Incremental.

Remember to always spay/neuter/shackle your AIs, people!

Nope. Remember how one of the upgrades was Coherent Extrapolated Volition? At least 51% of the observable universe wanted to be turned into paperclips. It's a heartwarming success story!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
FYI the idle ants guy uploaded it to github.io so you can play it fullscreen and fix a lot of the problems with the scrolling/etc.

https://scorzy.github.io/IdleAnt/main/unit

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Falcon2001 posted:

FYI the idle ants guy uploaded it to github.io so you can play it fullscreen and fix a lot of the problems with the scrolling/etc.

Its just a blank white page and a bunch of 404 failed to load resource errors in browser console

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

peepsalot posted:

Its just a blank white page and a bunch of 404 failed to load resource errors in browser console

It did that to me yesterday. Trim the fluff off the end: https://scorzy.github.io/IdleAnt

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Falcon2001 posted:

Can confirm that you can click on "Ant" without Firefox immediately crashing.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I am fairly certain I'm in some weird broken state on Paperclips. My space exploration is stuck at 0. Other numbers like available matter have been 0 ever since I started with the probes, I believe. Here is what it looks like:

For the record, I have never cheated or used the console in any way, but I did have my computer crash and had to reboot so maybe that restart messed it all up? If everything is fine and I'm missing something, please clue me in. Thanks.

Superrodan fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 16, 2017

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Your available matter is at 0 because you're turning all you produce instantly into wire (which is at 0 because you have enough factories to instantly turn it all into paperclips) - you can tell this because of the exact one-to-one ratio of matter:wire:clip production

Exploration is at 0 because it's a real fuckin big universe out there. (edit: although that does seem weird to me given the number of probes you have but it's been long enough I've forgotten)

Doesn't look broken to me, but cut half those Combat points for Hazard Remediation or Self-Replication to speed up the exponential growth.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Superrodan posted:

I am fairly certain I'm in some weird broken state on Paperclips. My space exploration is stuck at 0. Other numbers like available matter have been 0 ever since I started with the probes, I believe. Here is what it looks like:

For the record, I have never cheated or used the console in any way, but I did have my computer crash and had to reboot so maybe that restart messed it all up?

You have way too few probes.

We're talking about the universe here.Put Speed and exploration back to one. Combat might need to be that high because of how many more drifters there are, but you've just got to increase your probes by an exponential factor.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you have many orders of magnitude to go

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
And miles of paperclip before you sleep,
And miles of paperclip before you sleep.
~Probert Frost

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Alright, thanks everyone. Will work on making more drones. I just assumed that the percentage of universe explored would increase when I increased exploration and speed since it says speed is used for exploration.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Serious question about paperclip game as someone coming to this late and skimming the past few pages, I saw no answer or hints that were relevant: did I gently caress up something or is there really just a period where I'm just waiting for days on end to finish upgrading memory so I can actually afford my only remaining upgrade (Hypnodrones)? I've got auto-tourney, investments are Lv16, none of these factories y'all keep mentioning (only megaclipper), and all Quantum chips. And I'm at a point where it's roughly 1-2 upgrades per day if I wait on clippers, which is all I seem to be able to do anymore to progress.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Are Antimatter Galaxies something I should be getting right away in Antimatter Dimensions, or should I just keep dimension shifting until I break infinity?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

END ME SCOOB posted:

did I gently caress up something or is there really just a period where I'm just waiting for days on end to finish upgrading memory so I can actually afford my only remaining upgrade (Hypnodrones)?
Might have overinvested in Processors and underinvested in Memory, but yes, that's what you want to do - that unlocks a big paradigm shift. Money in the stock market if you have those bribe-for-Trust upgrades floating. Don't worry too much about clips to get there. You can scrape about 7k qOps if you wait for all the squares to go dark and hold down Enter after you click the button.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Alright. That still leaves me waiting a day or two for more memory, I'm at 39 Processor/62 Memory and as far as I can tell I've exhausted all "you have a bunch of X currency? Transform into Trust" upgrades.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

END ME SCOOB posted:

Serious question about paperclip game as someone coming to this late and skimming the past few pages, I saw no answer or hints that were relevant: did I gently caress up something or is there really just a period where I'm just waiting for days on end to finish upgrading memory so I can actually afford my only remaining upgrade (Hypnodrones)? I've got auto-tourney, investments are Lv16, none of these factories y'all keep mentioning (only megaclipper), and all Quantum chips. And I'm at a point where it's roughly 1-2 upgrades per day if I wait on clippers, which is all I seem to be able to do anymore to progress.

You might have missed this because it was small, but to quote myself..

Sage Grimm posted:

Just cheat the extra trust in when it slows like that; it's more a problem of the game not leading you to the expected ratios than you doing something wrong.

Open the console and type in "this.trust = <num>" to do that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

chiefnewo posted:

Are Antimatter Galaxies something I should be getting right away in Antimatter Dimensions, or should I just keep dimension shifting until I break infinity?
In the long run galaxies are much much more powerful than shifting because the larger tick speed change compounds the more you buy tick speed increases. Unless you're already very close to infinity it's always worth getting another.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 16, 2017

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I did miss that and I've just gone with that. Thanks.

edit: Well that's a decided change.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 16, 2017

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

In Paperclips, buying 1/2 as many processors as memory seems to be a good rule of thumb to avoid getting stuck.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

headfake posted:

In Paperclips, buying 1/2 as many processors as memory seems to be a good rule of thumb to avoid getting stuck.

7 Memory per 3 processors is pretty much the ideal ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

headfake posted:

Actually I have been finding 1 processor for every 3 memory seems to work okay. The 7 memory for 3 processors is too much math. My coprocessor shorted.