Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
alternative opinion:

buy EVERYTHING

:lron:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Eldercain posted:

I just have auto train and boost filter to cube, both of which have been pretty nice qol. Improved filter is my next target, but from what I understand beard slots are very similar to acc slots: more is super better

Improved loot filter is considered a must have and usually the first thing you get. Without it titans are a massive problem when you auto kill them overnight. Several later zones also have items you want to filter out for overnight. You want to leave boosts enabled, the recycle bonus isn't added when that happens, which is over a 50% increase, nevermind that you will need tens of millions for later sets so you will need auto boost while wearing the gear overnight to even make a dent in progressing them.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

pixaal posted:

Improved loot filter is considered a must have and usually the first thing you get. Without it titans are a massive problem when you auto kill them overnight. Several later zones also have items you want to filter out for overnight. You want to leave boosts enabled, the recycle bonus isn't added when that happens, which is over a 50% increase, nevermind that you will need tens of millions for later sets so you will need auto boost while wearing the gear overnight to even make a dent in progressing them.

Yeah but I haven't spent any Kong bux so I went with some of the cheaper AP options. Now that I'm auto killing 3 Titans and hoarding sets with different specials and would still like to get the red potion etc I'm seeing the value.

The boost recycle thing makes sense but I'm only at 2 slots into the second page so sometimes I'd rather pull items, I think once I max out spoopy boosts I'll get back on the challenge grind

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
something: I know this is incredibly stupid, given the fact that it is an Idle game, but could we get some sort of Pause button? I like to plan my 15/30/60 runs and not overshoot my Number from leaving the game running the entire day because I had to work or something like that.

No need to make it a priority or anything, it's just a very specific broken brain issue.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
A pause button would actually be a really involved thing to make, so i'm kinda "meh" on the prospect.

Sorry for the bad response, but I still think you're cute.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.
It's alright, if I need to take another break I'll just leave it in a 24 Hour Challenge again :v:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Filter boosts into cube is excellent, and faster auto boost/merge is also important.

I forgot I bought boost cube filter too, since it was cheap so I bought it a while ago. Sounds like it's worth picking up the faster auto boost/merge while it's on sale, then saving all my AP for beard slots forever.

something posted:

alternative opinion:

buy EVERYTHING

:lron:

You already got my :10bux: (or whatever your cut of it is) for the starter pack, that's already infinity times more than I've spent on any other idle game.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Samuringa posted:

something: I know this is incredibly stupid, given the fact that it is an Idle game, but could we get some sort of Pause button? I like to plan my 15/30/60 runs and not overshoot my Number from leaving the game running the entire day because I had to work or something like that.

No need to make it a priority or anything, it's just a very specific broken brain issue.

It's actually beneficial to go over your number as you'll get more boss kills for that and the next few runs. You also get more titan kills.

Also why are you doing 15 or 30 minute long runs? With how titans are 60 minute runs are very close in XP/hr but you also get Ygg, and beard progress which makes 60 minute runs superior.

You should be aiming for 10 minute long runs, but even that is questionable. You probably want to do 5 minute runs or 60 minute runs and nothing between in 394, it's been this way since around Jake.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
All my runs are at least a couple days.

Idle game yknow?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
Wait, you’re supposed to start with two beard slots when you unlock it? I purchased the exp beard slot shortly before unlocking beards and I’m 90% certain I only have two slots. I can’t check it until sometime tomorrow night but I’ll throw Something my save file then if it’s still 2.

I would like to point out the AP store stopped me from buying a beard slot when they were on sale since I didn’t have beards unlocked yet, so I was pretty glad to buy the exp slot early :downs:

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

pixaal posted:

It's actually beneficial to go over your number as you'll get more boss kills for that and the next few runs. You also get more titan kills.

Also why are you doing 15 or 30 minute long runs? With how titans are 60 minute runs are very close in XP/hr but you also get Ygg, and beard progress which makes 60 minute runs superior.

You should be aiming for 10 minute long runs, but even that is questionable. You probably want to do 5 minute runs or 60 minute runs and nothing between in 394, it's been this way since around Jake.

I think what he's saying is that it's purely an OCD type issue where he doesn't derive satisfaction without manipulating his number in a very precise way.

In other words, get some drugs and make your brain stop caring so you can play NGU better.

Beard edit: (Beardit?) You get one beard slot to start, one from Troll Challenge, and 4 from AP. With the new beard there are still not enough slots to run every beard active. Which is fine because Beard Cage has such a tiny active bonus.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I think what he's saying is that it's purely an OCD type issue where he doesn't derive satisfaction without manipulating his number in a very precise way.

In other words, get some drugs and make your brain stop caring so you can play NGU better.

Beard edit: (Beardit?) You get one beard slot to start, one from Troll Challenge, and 4 from AP. With the new beard there are still not enough slots to run every beard active. Which is fine because Beard Cage has such a tiny active bonus.

There's one for XP, I run 7/7

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I did not know when i pulled my loot face out of daycare he would turn into the monopoly man. I kind of want to kill him now.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Eldercain posted:

I did not know when i pulled my loot face out of daycare he would turn into the monopoly man. I kind of want to kill him now.

He has 3 stages of evolution. Do you like crowns more?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Hey, something, are there plans to add level 100 completion bonuses (bonii) for individual pieces like Dragon Wings or A Beanie or Stapler? Or am I just finishing these out of the same OCD that's made me always make sure every NGU ability has the same number of levels even if they're way past the diminishing returns point.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
For now, OCD. In the future, who knows?

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
If I'm just getting started again in NGU, is it worth using the spreadsheet to see where to focus on?

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
What NGU spreadsheet are you guys referring to?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Don't use a spreadsheet, the math is too easy (or complicated) to bother. Just take power, multiply by 3.75, and thats how much cap you need (in 10,000s).

The ratio of energy to magic doesn't have an easy relationship so just do whatever, but the ratio of power:cap is super simple.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
I hear people bickering in chat all the time about 1:20k:1 vs 1:30k:1 vs 1:40k:1 for power/cap/bar ratio

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Agent355 posted:

Don't use a spreadsheet, the math is too easy (or complicated) to bother. Just take power, multiply by 3.75, and thats how much cap you need (in 10,000s).

The ratio of energy to magic doesn't have an easy relationship so just do whatever, but the ratio of power:cap is super simple.

This all goes out the window in a speed run build. With a speed run you have to account for the added cost of bars to the cost of cap. This means you need way more power since generating 10,000 energy in under a minute is very expensive, and something you need to do for a 3 minute run to work.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I can't see any purpose to 3 minute runs. I can hit boss 25 within the first 3 minutes of a challenge, but even that XP*20 is crap compared to just autokilling titans on a day long run.

Early game you wouldn't even get to where bosses give XP spamming 3 minute rebirths.

I mean yeah you need to keep your bars so you can hit cap in a reasonable amount of time but 3 minutes is excessive.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I can't see any purpose to 3 minute runs. I can hit boss 25 within the first 3 minutes of a challenge, but even that XP*20 is crap compared to just autokilling titans on a day long run.

Early game you wouldn't even get to where bosses give XP spamming 3 minute rebirths.

I mean yeah you need to keep your bars so you can hit cap in a reasonable amount of time but 3 minutes is excessive.

3 minute runs are very viable. I'm stable at boss 145 chaining 3 min runs, which is the shortest run time you can do. You build XP insanely quick, I net around 2000XP per 3 minute run, so 40,000XP/hr. Titans don't provide nearly enough XP to make good progress.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I'm going to assume that's running some kind of script. I can't imagine trying to maximize 3 minute runs manually for any length of time.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I'm going to assume that's running some kind of script. I can't imagine trying to maximize 3 minute runs manually for any length of time.

I do it manually, ~2-3 hours per weekday. The rest of the day is 1 long run. I chose 1 minute not because it was mathmatically good, but because it let me focus on time machine for a minute then be done with it for the run and throw everything into wandoos to cap then the rest into aug (50/50 split between aug and upgrade because it's easy) and the rest of the magic goes into blood for NUMBER.

This gives me 2 minutes to check on other idle games browse the forums and whatever else.

Anything more complicated and it winds up in a huge mess.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Short runs become better xp/hour once you can sustain above boss 37 so that you have blood magic unlocked. If you're not sustaining at least boss 37, it's not worth it.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Unponderable posted:

Short runs become better xp/hour once you can sustain above boss 37 so that you have blood magic unlocked. If you're not sustaining at least boss 37, it's not worth it.

I'm not even sure that's easy to stay stable since gear scales up to boss 100. That's what I looked for when going from 5 minute to 3 minute runs. Way back when titan's didn't respawn the sweet spot seemed to be around boss 45-50.

I wouldn't try speed runs for anything longer than a 10 minute run, 15 and 30 minute long runs seem to be barely better XP wise than an hour without AP, Ygg, or Bread progress, and you are getting less NGU progress as well. Just overall not worth it. Chaining 1h runs (assuming all no rebirths completed so all titans are 1h spawn) are pretty viable. You miss out on building large fruit, but that's not a major loss, same with the perm beard losses. The extra XP should make up for it, if you plan on chaining 1h runs you are going to have a very different build than someone chaining 3m runs.

The end goal of all this XP farming is to build your NGU faster so you need to overcome whatever deficit you end up with.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 16, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Yeah I guess the main factor to consider is all the stuff you're losing by speed running XP. Fruit of power and luck, adventure stats from fruit and a good iron pills buildip. Beard progress, NGU progress (although those get faster with XP investment)

Personally I'm not going to devote that much time and attention to my idle games, so I'd rather run a slower burn that pushes all those factors up together rather than focusing solely on XP speedruns.

Also if you're stable on boss 145 with 3 minute runs you're so far past most players that you're playing a different phase of the game.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Clicker Heroes 2 is releasing on Steam (or releasing as Early Access?) today. I gather that the game is using a buy-once business model instead of free with IAP.

If anyone is planning a Day-1 purchase I'd be interested in seeing what's up

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Cats Who Stare At Ghosts has come up before, but I've gotten back into it as something to wind down before bed.

The mechanics unlock very slowly, but I've found that it's a good thing because it feels like a big deal each time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twofoldtales.catswhostareatghosts.android

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Devor posted:

Clicker Heroes 2 is releasing on Steam (or releasing as Early Access?) today. I gather that the game is using a buy-once business model instead of free with IAP.

If anyone is planning a Day-1 purchase I'd be interested in seeing what's up

I grabbed it. Once I'm gone from work in a few hours I'll write up something.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Cats Who Stare At Ghosts has come up before, but I've gotten back into it as something to wind down before bed.

The mechanics unlock very slowly, but I've found that it's a good thing because it feels like a big deal each time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twofoldtales.catswhostareatghosts.android

Funny, I also recently played through it again. It's a perfect game for me to leave sitting at work and check when it's slow. Really good example of unfolding mechanics and shifting currency Dynamics that make for a good incremental. Plus every enemy has an alliterative name so it pleases my Inner Dad.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
RG: Getting up to my first Ascension. I already got No Recruiting and Stoic Resistance, anything else I should try and get before I hit it? I'm at R35 right now.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

The name of this game makes me uncomfortable because my cats used to do this all the time. What I'm saying is ghosts are fake but gently caress cats.

(Installing now)

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Eldercain posted:

The name of this game makes me uncomfortable because my cats used to do this all the time. What I'm saying is ghosts are fake but gently caress cats.

(Installing now)

They were probably just staring at Something Strange.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Clicker Heroes 2 is just ok. It's still just as simple as the first. I'm only still playing it cause it's speedhackable. I was going to refund it if it wasn't.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
(I'm sure I'm not the first person to post this, but gently caress it):
I'm stuck at Realm Grinder R44 and feel like I'm doing something wrong. Running Dwelf, and I understand the recommendation is to unlock spell tiers to push past, but I can't even afford the tiers I've unlocked so far (CtA3, MB3, DP2, SS2).

All I can think is I hosed up by A.) not getting Stoic Resistance back before Ascension, or B.) reincarnating before unlocking Holy Light's Tier 3.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Garfu posted:

Clicker Heroes 2 is just ok. It's still just as simple as the first. I'm only still playing it cause it's speedhackable. I was going to refund it if it wasn't.

I agree. It's pretty okay so far. I'm just about to ascend so hopefully it picks up and opens up more. The skill tree is pretty massive I'm curious to see how that all works.

I would say save your money for now. You really aren't missing out on anything

What speedhacks are you using?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
When do I finally get to do a reset on Trimps? The in-game clock says I've been playing for 3 days and my progress has almost slowed to a crawl. I'm at Zone 24 and honestly don't know what do, aside from just waiting even more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Samuringa posted:

When do I finally get to do a reset on Trimps? The in-game clock says I've been playing for 3 days and my progress has almost slowed to a crawl. I'm at Zone 24 and honestly don't know what do, aside from just waiting even more.

You should have the Anger upgrade available, right? Buy it, and then finish the Dimension of Anger.