Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Dragonatrix posted:

It's very new and very short (and doesn't even save or anything) but I'm kinda digging Lawnmower Game despite its simplicity. It has some, uh, UI issues that become apparent pretty quickly and it won't take long to "finish" but it still seems to be kind of a WIP so like the Wasteland one from before it's more of a test than anything else I think.

I do wish it wasn't quite so simple, but it's a fun, short distraction at least. :shobon:

e; Though it might warrant an epilepsy warning once you get further in, depending on what order you buy stuff. Doesn't look it should at first, but once it gets fast I can see it possibly being an issue.

This is pretty neat. Does anything new come after the people field or am I missing something? I prestiged up to 8.3 billion mulch but nothing new seems to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmm, after I grab the five newbie ITOPOD perks, is there anything worth prioritizing over Double Basic Training? That one's gonna take ages to save up for, but it seems absurdly useful.

Energy Cap/Power/NGU would be my next priorities.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah, the energy cap/power, and then magic cap/power are amazing perks because they're multiplicative with everything else you have. Getting to 50% in both cap and power more than doubles your total output of energy/magic!

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Klungar posted:

Energy Cap/Power/NGU would be my next priorities.

Then boosted boosts 1/2 and improved cube boosting.

Double basic training isn't actually that useful outside of when you're doing challenges. By the time you get to the endgame, you're not rebirthing enough that it makes a big difference. (29 days, 16 hours on my current rebirth...)

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Merijn posted:

This is pretty neat. Does anything new come after the people field or am I missing something? I prestiged up to 8.3 billion mulch but nothing new seems to happen.

Yeah, that's the end point right now. Sorta hoping it does get updated in the (near) future to add some more content at the very least,

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 19, 2018

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay, thanks for the clarification! Energy it is :)

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING
Hey, Something, it's... uh, really frustrating that the Time Machine tab opens and can be upgraded despite being in the "No Time Machine" challenge. I know it's my own fault, but I just spend all of an hour's worth of gold on upgrading the time machine in less than a minute (thanks, energy power) because I wasn't paying enough attention. :negative:

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've got all the most important QOL AP upgrades in NGU, both accessories as well as the half-price beard slot and digger slot. I'm up to 200k AP again, What the hell do I buy next? Is this the time to get those hearts? Or more beard/digger slots?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Elswyyr posted:

I've got all the most important QOL AP upgrades in NGU, both accessories as well as the half-price beard slot and digger slot. I'm up to 200k AP again, What the hell do I buy next? Is this the time to get those hearts? Or more beard/digger slots?

Hearts are going to be thrown into the daycare for their completion bonuses (which are all extremely good) they take awhile to level so getting them early could be very useful. The Yellow one increases AP gains, so it should pay for itself.

Beard slots are all really good, digger slots aren't bad to toggle, you don't miss anything by not having one active unlike beards, where you miss growth.

After that the Beta potions are loving amazing for building your NGUs since it effectively doubles your progress in them, if you are doing a longer run don't be afraid of buying a pair (energy / magic) and doing a run that lasts several days to min/max the benefit. I'd avoid alpha and gamma pots unless you plan on stacking them with beta pots, and even then they are a massive luxury and probably best avoided unless you are spending real money. (F2P should be able to keep betas rolling since the current end game is basically rebirth whenever, you'll want a stock pile for when new content comes out though!).

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Elswyyr posted:

How are the hearts valued anyways? I have a daycare slot I'm not really using in a useful way right now and assumed that would be better than nothing, but I'm 2 beard slots in and am not sure if it's better to get a 5th beard slot, more diggers, or the second AP acc slot.

Now that I have the special ring I really wouldn't mind the extra slot so I can run all 3 NGU accs with energy/greed/forest or potentially throw on an extra ring to get a little higher in ITOPOD. Beards I think will take a backseat for now as I'm cresting most of the 1k perm beard levels, and I'm not really sure what I should be running diggers for other than adventure/NGU/NGU. I know there was a post about it, but I'm currently running drop chance since the rest seem pretty meh. I guess with one more I could do beard/beard? They're prohibitively expensive to level for where I'm at and I can't afford anything on the last page.

Honestly all I want is to be able to kill Walderp idle is that so much to ask? All these no aug/no equip challenges are staring me directly in my face because of how much I should do them too.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I just hit 250 PP. I'm buying the accessory slot, cost be damned.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So uh, in NGU the listed calculations for Blood Spaghetti and Counterfeit Gold seem to be off? They're both listed as logarithmic functions but it seems you're adding a +1 to those log results without telling us. It's inconsequential for Blood Spaghetti since the bonus just ends up being +1 from what it should be, but for Counterfeit Gold there's a slight but measurable difference in the final result if you're squaring a number +1 higher than expected. In my current rebirth for example I have 585,660,000 blood sacrificed for a 103% gold bonus. Plugging in the numbers for log2(585.66)^2 gives a result of 84 (rounded down) instead though. However, if I do (log2(585.66)+1)^2 it gives me the 103 number the game is telling me.

So either the calculation needs to be corrected to match the tooltips, or the tooltips should be changed to reflect this error. Which you decide to do is up to you of course. :v:

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

So uh, in NGU the listed calculations for Blood Spaghetti and Counterfeit Gold seem to be off? They're both listed as logarithmic functions but it seems you're adding a +1 to those log results without telling us. It's inconsequential for Blood Spaghetti since the bonus just ends up being +1 from what it should be, but for Counterfeit Gold there's a slight but measurable difference in the final result if you're squaring a number +1 higher than expected. In my current rebirth for example I have 585,660,000 blood sacrificed for a 103% gold bonus. Plugging in the numbers for log2(585.66)^2 gives a result of 84 (rounded down) instead though. However, if I do (log2(585.66)+1)^2 it gives me the 103 number the game is telling me.

So either the calculation needs to be corrected to match the tooltips, or the tooltips should be changed to reflect this error. Which you decide to do is up to you of course. :v:

snitches get stitches

Also, is there a bug preventing the money pit from giving out Wandoos levels? I got 100/100 for everything except 64/100 for money pit and I haven't gotten any in like 2 weeks. Real annoying since the rest of the rewards are either rounding errors or helping level Looty or AAAFP at this point.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

:vince:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

comingafteryouall posted:

snitches get stitches

Also, is there a bug preventing the money pit from giving out Wandoos levels? I got 100/100 for everything except 64/100 for money pit and I haven't gotten any in like 2 weeks. Real annoying since the rest of the rewards are either rounding errors or helping level Looty or AAAFP at this point.

I got a +3 yesterday, with the new focus on longer runs you are likely getting far less pits since they are hourly if you rebirth every hour, if you rebirth once a day you can probably get 4-5 in in a day, and if you do it weekly you'll probably get 12-13 in during that time. Diggers are also using a ton of your gold, so you might just be throwing your gold in at too low a pit level. I could be misremembering but I believe different pit gold levels have different wandoos level caps.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

pixaal posted:

I got a +3 yesterday, with the new focus on longer runs you are likely getting far less pits since they are hourly if you rebirth every hour, if you rebirth once a day you can probably get 4-5 in in a day, and if you do it weekly you'll probably get 12-13 in during that time. Diggers are also using a ton of your gold, so you might just be throwing your gold in at too low a pit level. I could be misremembering but I believe different pit gold levels have different wandoos level caps.

I'm definitely hitting the highest level of money for rewards. But I guess I'm just running into bad luck.

I don't see why anyone with the Yggdrasil and Titan perks wouldn't be RBing every 24h now though. I can get it set back up again with minimal attention and those 2 perks are a pretty big boost to EXP once you have the fruit of knowledge set up right.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I'm definitely hitting the highest level of money for rewards. But I guess I'm just running into bad luck.

I don't see why anyone with the Yggdrasil and Titan perks wouldn't be RBing every 24h now though. I can get it set back up again with minimal attention and those 2 perks are a pretty big boost to EXP once you have the fruit of knowledge set up right.

It's a large amount of XP, but you give up a ton of NGU if you don't chug another pair of beta pots. Doubling NGU gain is really massive, and you'd need to increase your XP by ~50% to get the same effect (you will be leveling both cap and power, beta is power only (to be more exact it's going to be closer √2 or 41.4% with a balanced set of stats). Run length should be roughly equal to how long it takes you to get 20,000AP.

edit: Also it takes awhile to get your GPS up to speed right now since you have to get the adventure stats to kill beast V4, then kill him wearing gold drop gear, then wait for time machine and beards to catch up so you can actually activate all your diggers at full power. My current setup takes ~3 hours to get going (with about 5 minutes of active time total, but some of it is pretty exact timing unless I want to sit in gold gear for a longer period of time basically destroying my other gains during that time)

So it turns into hour 1: farm ADV stats, get a kill on V4, or a gold kill on V3 if the stats are too low. Use the increased gold to boost diggers more and keep farming adv stats with beard and training, Once the stats get high enough switch to NGU farm, switch to gold gear at hour 2 for V4 and maximize your base gold drop. Beards are going to keep increasing and so will time machine, so you are going to upgrade your diggers some more in the next hour or two.

Diggers are a good idea but they require a ton of babysitting to make proper use of even running 12/12

pixaal fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 20, 2018

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Maybe I hit some kind of tipping point since I have the V4 accessories maxed, which made a huge difference, but I'm maxing out the easier NGUs without pots these days.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Maybe I hit some kind of tipping point since I have the V4 accessories maxed, which made a huge difference, but I'm maxing out the easier NGUs without pots these days.

Yes but you want to max all of them at the same time, it'll take most of a year at max speed to reach the cap on NGUs.

I probably have pretty similar stats but picture says 1000 words: yellow MSpaint %s are the percentage of max energy I shoved into each. These bars are stable where they are they aren't jumping (the labeled ones, magic is jumping, and PP is unallocated in the shot). Magic is NGU still needs a ton of building to get this stable.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Here's my energy:

and magic:

I do have two beta pots running right now cause the latest challenges gave me some extra AP and I wouldn't use the extra diggers at this point. But all that extra power is just going into the MNGU and ENGU atm, my last run had Ygg, Exp, and the top Energy NGUs maxed out without the pots.

I know there are people way ahead of me too. It seems like once I got the Fruit of Knowledge at max level and got the perks that affect it I jumped the NGU curve and I'm adding power faster than the NGUs are scaling. But I'm not a math guy.

Kluliss
Mar 6, 2011

Cake, is it a drug, or is it simply a delicious chocolatey piece of heaven?

Dragonatrix posted:

It's very new and very short (and doesn't even save or anything) but I'm kinda digging Lawnmower Game despite its simplicity. It has some, uh, UI issues that become apparent pretty quickly and it won't take long to "finish" but it still seems to be kind of a WIP so like the Wasteland one from before it's more of a test than anything else I think.

I do wish it wasn't quite so simple, but it's a fun, short distraction at least. :shobon:

e; Though it might warrant an epilepsy warning once you get further in, depending on what order you buy stuff. Doesn't look it should at first, but once it gets fast I can see it possibly being an issue.

I started playing this yesterday, shut my pc down for the night and when I came back to it, I was at 0 again...is there any way to save progress or have I messed up somewhere?

vvvv balls, totally missed that, my bad!

Kluliss fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 20, 2018

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Kluliss posted:

I started playing this yesterday, shut my pc down for the night and when I came back to it, I was at 0 again...is there any way to save progress or have I messed up somewhere?

Re-read what you quoted, they specifically mention saving hasn't been added yet but it's so short it shouldn't matter.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

NGU: once my basic skills all have their speed cap down to 1, what should my rule of thumb be for rebirthing? I've been doing 30-minute runs because that's how long it took to cap everything out.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yep, that's the rule of thumb until you unlock and can see decent progress with longer forms of progression like NGU or ITOPOD.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmkay, so just generally rebirth around 30 minutes unless it guts my number or I have an explicit plan that takes longer to enact? Makes sense, thanks :)

tolaziforname
Nov 30, 2008
NGU: I beat up the mean chef for the first time and got wandoos 98 and NGU unlocked. I assume I'm not going to touch either of those for a long time. Also the "Wandoos 98" item remained in my inventory, should I throw it in daycare or what?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

tolaziforname posted:

NGU: I beat up the mean chef for the first time and got wandoos 98 and NGU unlocked. I assume I'm not going to touch either of those for a long time. Also the "Wandoos 98" item remained in my inventory, should I throw it in daycare or what?

Combine it with other wandoos drops up to 100, then use it. Every level up will subtract that many levels from the item and leave the remainder, but it's worth getting the bonus for leveling it up to 100 earlier than later.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
If you check the Item List in your Inventory tab, then hover over the Wandoos 98 item, you'll see what you will get from maxing out its level. The other option is consuming it and adding a level to your Wandoos, which adds 4% to the base speed per level. You may as well keep it in Daycare because the 300 xp is the biggest plus out of it at the moment.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Idle Loops: Holy poo poo, I have to do the entire journey to the Forest every time? I expected it would open a new area and I'd start from 0 there but this way my Action List is going to get huge

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Omi no Kami posted:

Hmkay, so just generally rebirth around 30 minutes unless it guts my number or I have an explicit plan that takes longer to enact? Makes sense, thanks :)

At 30 minutes, your time multiplier (actually a penalty until 1 hr) doubles at that instant - you can watch it in the rebirth window. So waiting from 29:59 t o 30:00 gives you 2x the number. Same thing happens at 1:00 - but by 30 minutes your training has been working on the maximum rate for a while, you should have had enough chance to get some augments, and it's more exp efficient to just hit it at 30min.

An important thing to remember is don't stress about your number going down over rebirths after you do a long run - especially at this phase of the game you can get back to where you were really quickly. The big benefit of pushing higher bosses with long runs is that you can unlock new zones/titans in Adventure. So if you have a zone unlocked that you can't beat yet, there's not that much reason to spend time pushing bosses over doing 30-min or 1-hr rebirths.

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So I've been thinking a lot lately on what I might do for a 2nd game (it won't happen any time soon though), and was wondering what you guys think of this premise:

An NGU -take on the factorio/reactor idle style of idle game. You'd have a tile grid where you can place down structures that consume some sort of material and after some time spit out a more advanced material. These could be literally anything (presumably funny things). You'd start with a couple of very basic material gatherers which act as a basis for all things made. You'd produce something out of them to unlock more structures that produce the base materials or convert into a more advanced item, combine sets of items to produce science-like currencies from factorio which unlock huge swaths of new tech, to keep creating items further up the chain. You'd unlock new plots of land like in reactor-idle, which may have bonuses to certain types of production. The choices would come from how you set up your structures for maximum efficiency, how many you have making item Y which consumes X, without consuming more X than you make per second. Stuff like that.

Basically I want an excuse to have you producing dumb things like an actual Robutt or trump's hair or whatever lovely references I can dream of.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you think you can make it fun, go for it. There used to be a lot of games in that genre and they've all died.

Just try to make sure that there's a smooth progression and stuff to do, for most of them it ended up being a game of copying diagrams to find the optimal one and waiting a week to upgrade a turbine.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

something posted:

So I've been thinking a lot lately on what I might do for a 2nd game (it won't happen any time soon though), and was wondering what you guys think of this premise:

An NGU -take on the factorio/reactor idle style of idle game. You'd have a tile grid where you can place down structures that consume some sort of material and after some time spit out a more advanced material. These could be literally anything (presumably funny things). You'd start with a couple of very basic material gatherers which act as a basis for all things made. You'd produce something out of them to unlock more structures that produce the base materials or convert into a more advanced item, combine sets of items to produce science-like currencies from factorio which unlock huge swaths of new tech, to keep creating items further up the chain. You'd unlock new plots of land like in reactor-idle, which may have bonuses to certain types of production. The choices would come from how you set up your structures for maximum efficiency, how many you have making item Y which consumes X, without consuming more X than you make per second. Stuff like that.

Basically I want an excuse to have you producing dumb things like an actual Robutt or trump's hair or whatever lovely references I can dream of.

I get zero amusement from the 'story' and wacky elements, to the point where they might detract from the experience

But I love the heck out of some Factorio gameplay and Factorio Idle would be cool

You could research trains, then spend iron and wood to create the tracks, and unlock new resource maps - have different games-within-games to organize a resource outpost vs. your manufacturing base

And just to reiterate, I would much rather have 'logical' things like iron and copper wires and gold circuit and whatnot rather than assembling three Robutts into a Tier 3 Power Plant.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Devor posted:

I get zero amusement from the 'story' and wacky elements, to the point where they might detract from the experience

But I love the heck out of some Factorio gameplay and Factorio Idle would be cool

You could research trains, then spend iron and wood to create the tracks, and unlock new resource maps - have different games-within-games to organize a resource outpost vs. your manufacturing base

And just to reiterate, I would much rather have 'logical' things like iron and copper wires and gold circuit and whatnot rather than assembling three Robutts into a Tier 3 Power Plant.

Boo this man.

There's already 100 thousand weak rear end mining idle games that are basically IAP farms.

He's right about factorio though and using that as a guide would probably be good since it gets so crazy so fast with all the juggling. I imagine in an idling sense it'd need to be less about building a space to confirm to Future expansion and more essentially supply chain?

The point is yes do it how else you gonna pay off the lambo

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Eldercain posted:

Boo this man.

There's already 100 thousand weak rear end mining idle games that are basically IAP farms.

He's right about factorio though and using that as a guide would probably be good since it gets so crazy so fast with all the juggling. I imagine in an idling sense it'd need to be less about building a space to confirm to Future expansion and more essentially supply chain?

The point is yes do it how else you gonna pay off the lambo

I think organizing around "space" being a limited commodity is a dangerous path, because the way to maximize your output under that regime is to do stupidly complicated, dense, inelegant solutions.

Interesting progression things from Factorio:
1. Researching new items - discovering how they are used, what goes into them, what comes out of them
2. Laying out new items without disrupting your existing item flows too much
3. Balancing your mid-products to meet your output-need
4. Making it pretty

Perhaps the idea of The Bus could be abstracted away and not require the player to create it - just have individual rooms with a belt of your raw materials at the top, and the goal is to spit out your output at the bottom of the room.

Edit: Maybe the reward for producing X units/sec of something is that you get rewarded with a Bus of that item instead of manufacturing it as a mid product?

Devor fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 21, 2018

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
Currently, my thought is to do away with a belting system entirely - while i think it works really well in a game like factorio, it makes things a bit too fidgety when you just want to set up your system for an idle game. So, you'd have counts of all your resources, and a structure would simply remove the required materials and then produce one of its results, independent of placement. There could be special structures you can unlock and place that improve the efficiency or speed of building within a small radius to improve output (like those isolators in reactor idle, but have it affect more aspects of production/efficiency), but you wouldn't need to worry about pathing the flow of your goods.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you think you can make it fun, go for it. There used to be a lot of games in that genre and they've all died.

Just try to make sure that there's a smooth progression and stuff to do, for most of them it ended up being a game of copying diagrams to find the optimal one and waiting a week to upgrade a turbine.

The hope would be there would be so many avenues to progress, like in NGU, that it's hard to tell someone to just make a specific setup, because it would entirely depend on what your goal is. Do I make a lot of product X so i can upgrade the number of buildings that help make more of it? Do I set up a space to mass produce a collection of products to then produce a certain science? Etc etc

something fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 21, 2018

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's time to make an idle game about gacha games

NOT succubox

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So, a game where you produce lootboxes and then pay real money to open them up, giving you more materials to make better (and more expensive) loot boxes?

Or skip all that and give me a cheque with the amount left blank :eyepop:

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

something posted:

Currently, my thought is to do away with a belting system entirely - while i think it works really well in a game like factorio, it makes things a bit too fidgety when you just want to set up your system for an idle game. So, you'd have counts of all your resources, and a structure would simply remove the required materials and then produce one of its results, independent of placement. There could be special structures you can unlock and place that improve the efficiency or speed of building within a small radius to improve output (like those isolators in reactor idle, but have it affect more aspects of production/efficiency), but you wouldn't need to worry about pathing the flow of your goods.

The hope would be there would be so many avenues to progress, like in NGU, that it's hard to tell someone to just make a specific setup, because it would entirely depend on what your goal is. Do I make a lot of product X so i can upgrade the number of buildings that help make more of it? Do I set up a space to mass produce a collection of products to then produce a certain science? Etc etc

Sounds kind of like Shark Game, but without the placement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Klungar posted:

Sounds kind of like Shark Game, but without the placement.

Let's redo Mine Defense instead, using technology instead of fantasy McGuffins