Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Is there a crash course guide to the new UI that returning old-UI RG players can peek at? Every time I've thought about going back to it, I see that disaster of a UI and am like "nah, nevermind."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I was an idiot and was using druid bloodline on a faceless/dragons build and started struggling at e68ish. I then switched to undead bloodline and immediately got e75 on my first abdication after. Holy poo poo.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Teddybear posted:

Is there a crash course guide to the new UI that returning old-UI RG players can peek at? Every time I've thought about going back to it, I see that disaster of a UI and am like "nah, nevermind."

Options are the cogwheel in the lower right corner. Check "don't group upgrades by category" and "disable menu sliding animation". Most other things you're good if you start off leaving them unchecked, and then you can tweak at your convenience (I like "disable warning for exchanges" and "buy all exchanges" but that's just me). With options set like that, overall gameplay feels a lot like it did in the old UI except for where exactly on the screen everything is (plus some new QoL updates). So as for where to find stuff...

Options screen is also where you export, import, and do manual saves. (And where you set yourself to scientific/engineering notation if you're foolish enough not to have done so already.) Stats are the blue lowercase "i" button next to the options.

Most things that were along the top are now along the left instead, but work basically the same way. Big QoL improvements include save and load buttons for both mercenary and research builds, as well as a "buy all" button. (The buy-all on the upgrades screen buys most upgrades except a. unique buildings and b. things that involve Deciding Something. The buy-all on the research screen buys RP, which you can also do manually by clicking the giant icon for each research branch.) I cannot understate how awesome buy-all and loading builds both are.

Spells are along the right next to the buildings, but basically work the same drat way - only noticeable difference is that the mana pool is an orb instead of a bar.

You abdicate and reincarnate at the top of the upgrades screen. The number shown on the reincarnation button is your current R, and if it's not available yet the button itself will say how many more gems you need. The abdicate button will similarly show how many (if any) gems you'll get by abdicating.

Most of the time you'll be sitting with one or another window (probably upgrades, both for buying poo poo and seeing how many gems you'd get by abdicating) open so you don't really need to give a poo poo about the background or the art style, any more than you really needed to give a poo poo about the treasure chest per se. It'll usually be covered up.

Along the bottom of the screen you have, left to right: coins, income, gems, rubies, and assistants. Faction coins are shown in the lower left if you've got upgrades, excavation, or research open.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Vil posted:

Options are the cogwheel in the lower right corner. Check "don't group upgrades by category" and "disable menu sliding animation". Most other things you're good if you start off leaving them unchecked, and then you can tweak at your convenience (I like "disable warning for exchanges" and "buy all exchanges" but that's just me). With options set like that, overall gameplay feels a lot like it did in the old UI except for where exactly on the screen everything is (plus some new QoL updates). So as for where to find stuff...

Options screen is also where you export, import, and do manual saves. (And where you set yourself to scientific/engineering notation if you're foolish enough not to have done so already.) Stats are the blue lowercase "i" button next to the options.

Most things that were along the top are now along the left instead, but work basically the same way. Big QoL improvements include save and load buttons for both mercenary and research builds, as well as a "buy all" button. (The buy-all on the upgrades screen buys most upgrades except a. unique buildings and b. things that involve Deciding Something. The buy-all on the research screen buys RP, which you can also do manually by clicking the giant icon for each research branch.) I cannot understate how awesome buy-all and loading builds both are.

Spells are along the right next to the buildings, but basically work the same drat way - only noticeable difference is that the mana pool is an orb instead of a bar.

You abdicate and reincarnate at the top of the upgrades screen. The number shown on the reincarnation button is your current R, and if it's not available yet the button itself will say how many more gems you need. The abdicate button will similarly show how many (if any) gems you'll get by abdicating.

Most of the time you'll be sitting with one or another window (probably upgrades, both for buying poo poo and seeing how many gems you'd get by abdicating) open so you don't really need to give a poo poo about the background or the art style, any more than you really needed to give a poo poo about the treasure chest per se. It'll usually be covered up.

Along the bottom of the screen you have, left to right: coins, income, gems, rubies, and assistants. Faction coins are shown in the lower left if you've got upgrades, excavation, or research open.

Thanks a ton, this is super helpful!

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
Picking up RG for the first time in months, trying to get my bearings again. e58 is still lightning forge territory, right?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Teddybear posted:

I also found it helpful to backup my save (double check to make double sure it's ACTUALLY backed up, then start from scratch, maybe in a new browser or something. Once I got the hang of things I swapped back.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Teddybear posted:

Also after a bit of playing you'll start recognizing the icons for all the factions without having to read the tooltip, which will probably help when playing on mobile.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I have tried several times to get back into RG since last year but the graphical update just turns me off so much :argh:

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

ProfessorProf posted:

Picking up RG for the first time in months, trying to get my bearings again. e58 is still lightning forge territory, right?

lightning forge is pretty much just used for the very end of mercs at this point. i used diamond forge before i unlocked elf challenge 3, and moonshine after. both are a lot more consistent than lightning forge. there was a big update last month that changed some stuff, so it's worth taking a look around for new builds i think.

Jaff
Aug 25, 2004

Picking RG back up after stopping it forever ago. About to hit ascension, is there anything in particular I should make sure I have done before that?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Jaff posted:

Picking RG back up after stopping it forever ago. About to hit ascension, is there anything in particular I should make sure I have done before that?

Make sure all the challenges are unlocked for all the factions.
Make sure all available research is unlocked.
Make sure you got Iron Rush, Stoic Resistance, and Vanishment secret trophies, I think those are tough to get post-ascension for a while.
Basically, get as many trophies as possible. Of course, if you're right at the end of R39, you missed your last chance to get Stoic Resistance. It's okay. You'll be able to get it no problem, but probably not until a bit later.

There's nothing that's impossible to get post-ascension, but if you miss some things right now it may be a while before you can get it again.

Jaff
Aug 25, 2004

I spent a fair amount of time getting everything available at the time so I don't need too much work, but out of that list it looks like I still need Iron Rush and Vanishment so I will look into the best way to crank those out real quick before pushing the button, thanks!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Also make sure you have No Recruiting, though you may have missed your chance on that one as well. I'm at the same point you are, and preparing to go over the cliff. From what I've read, though, Iron Rush is very easy to get after Ascension, so I wouldn't worry too much about that one.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Alright, I've plunged off the Ascension cliff and am now at R42. What do I need to know about going about unlocking Spell Tiers? Special research builds to accomplish this? Wait until later R?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Klungar posted:

Alright, I've plunged off the Ascension cliff and am now at R42. What do I need to know about going about unlocking Spell Tiers? Special research builds to accomplish this? Wait until later R?

Honestly you'll probably get them as you need them, assuming you run some stuff overnight / over weekends. They get easier to unlock as you go up in R, and there's a couple dedicated builds for Spell Cataclysm / dragon challenge 2/3

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Klungar posted:

Wait. You'll unlock them as you go, and eventually you'll hit a point where you won't make any more progress without unlocking tiers. Once you get to T3 or so, it's worth waiting it out to get all the way to T6 unlocked, even if you have no way of affording it for a while. The time spent resets on reincarnation, so you'll just have to wait 3+ days to get back to where you were before reincarnation.

CtA/SS you'll get eventually no matter what, so don't worry about them.
Gem Grinder you'll get because you're going to be using entirely titan and faceless for a while.
Dragon's Breath, same thing as above.

The most important ones after that are going to be (roughly in order):
Brainwave -- You'll be using faceless/dragon builds up into R80+ for sure.
Night Time -- Same as above, but this will start to come into play once you unlock lineages. Undead is the best production lineage until R75 or so
Grand Balance/God's Hand -- Merc research builds use these starting around R76.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Okay, I'm at R36, and can reincarnate again to R37. I'm... not entirely sure if I remember what I was doing at this point. It's been months and months, and even reorienting myself with the UI, I'm still lost. Is the wikia still the go-to source for things, or is there another site that's surpassed it for advice?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

ReactorIdle bit: Nuclear energy has me concerned in terms of expanding. Here's my 2nd plant:

As of now, those Gen 2's can hold 307k and processes 43k/tick, while the heat transporters can hold 960k a piece. I want to add another nuclear buuuut it'd possibly be ridiculously pricey if everything blows up again.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Wait. You'll unlock them as you go, and eventually you'll hit a point where you won't make any more progress without unlocking tiers. Once you get to T3 or so, it's worth waiting it out to get all the way to T6 unlocked, even if you have no way of affording it for a while. The time spent resets on reincarnation, so you'll just have to wait 3+ days to get back to where you were before reincarnation.

CtA/SS you'll get eventually no matter what, so don't worry about them.
Gem Grinder you'll get because you're going to be using entirely titan and faceless for a while.
Dragon's Breath, same thing as above.

The most important ones after that are going to be (roughly in order):
Brainwave -- You'll be using faceless/dragon builds up into R80+ for sure.
Night Time -- Same as above, but this will start to come into play once you unlock lineages. Undead is the best production lineage until R75 or so
Grand Balance/God's Hand -- Merc research builds use these starting around R76.

Undead lineage has me rolling through Rs, I'm going to get to 75 before I even unlock Night Time, I think. I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most
Tip for unlocking tiers, assuming you have enough mana without research, you can use mercs to build up your spell times for (almost) any 2 disparate spells

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Teddybear posted:

Okay, I'm at R36, and can reincarnate again to R37. I'm... not entirely sure if I remember what I was doing at this point. It's been months and months, and even reorienting myself with the UI, I'm still lost. Is the wikia still the go-to source for things, or is there another site that's surpassed it for advice?

http://musicfamily.org/realm/

It's basically got all the same basic info as the wikia, except its builds are (somewhat) better curated and more to the point it doesn't get bogged down to hell and back with wikia attempting to load its ads.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

widespread posted:

ReactorIdle bit: Nuclear energy has me concerned in terms of expanding. Here's my 2nd plant:

As of now, those Gen 2's can hold 307k and processes 43k/tick, while the heat transporters can hold 960k a piece. I want to add another nuclear buuuut it'd possibly be ridiculously pricey if everything blows up again.
Dont hurry to change your heat generation. Previous generator will probably be more efficient at least for a while with all those upgrades you already invested in them.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Emron posted:

Undead lineage has me rolling through Rs, I'm going to get to 75 before I even unlock Night Time, I think. I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that.

Undead lineage 15 becomes more or less required by 75. There's a big gem wall around the Sxvg-Spvg mark.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Undead lineage 15 becomes more or less required by 75. There's a big gem wall around the Sxvg-Spvg mark.

Yikes. Are there any recommended lineage-leveling builds? I've only got it at 8.

Edly
Jun 1, 2007
You can easily get it to 15 after you unlock merc research at R75. You can get past Spvg gems without it as long as you have T6 faceless/dragon spells unlocked.

edit: I'm not sure how fast it is to unlock L15 prior to merc research since they rejiggered all of the FC researches in the merc research patch. Before the patch though, people were doing weeks-long runs to get undead L15. If you can do it in <= 1 day now then it'd be worth it.

Edly fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 15, 2017

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times
Found a new (to me) one: Perfect Tower.

It's an incremental, eventually. Takes a lot of work/attention to get going. It's basically a super-simple tower defense, with absolutely shittons of upgrades and prestige tiers. I've only prestiged once, but my suggestion is to spend your first few prestige point on firing speed and a few points in damage, just to get you further into the game before the arse falls out of it, then shunt the rest into resource improvements. Max out interest rate as soon as you can, then resource/wave. The cost of the upgrades ignore the levels you have put into them, so you can get away with interest to 1.5% and buy the remainder. Beyond that, max out anything chance related (crit/bounce/multishot). From there you're on your own.

Oh, skip the defence upgrades altogether. If the little shits are getting to your tower, you're hosed anyway. Buy more damage instead.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

frankenbeans posted:

Found a new (to me) one: Perfect Tower.

It's an incremental, eventually. Takes a lot of work/attention to get going. It's basically a super-simple tower defense, with absolutely shittons of upgrades and prestige tiers. I've only prestiged once, but my suggestion is to spend your first few prestige point on firing speed and a few points in damage, just to get you further into the game before the arse falls out of it, then shunt the rest into resource improvements. Max out interest rate as soon as you can, then resource/wave. The cost of the upgrades ignore the levels you have put into them, so you can get away with interest to 1.5% and buy the remainder. Beyond that, max out anything chance related (crit/bounce/multishot). From there you're on your own.

Oh, skip the defence upgrades altogether. If the little shits are getting to your tower, you're hosed anyway. Buy more damage instead.

Once you get to hard defense is all that matters thanks to reflect monsters. This makes it laggy as gently caress while you wait for auras to kill things for you.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

dis astranagant posted:

Once you get to hard defense is all that matters thanks to reflect monsters. This makes it laggy as gently caress while you wait for auras to kill things for you.

I suspected it would come in useful later. I didn't have any use for it up to the first prestige though (lvl 300 Hard), so I just went for resources and damage to smash through some levels.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Emron posted:

Yikes. Are there any recommended lineage-leveling builds? I've only got it at 8.

My knowledge isn't necessarily accurate because I did UL15 before merc research, which took a while. If you can make the push to merc research, getting all lineages to 20 is trivial. At R82, getting them all to 25 is trivial. I got up to R75 with T5 spells, including Night Time. T6 spells but no Night Time might be equivalent or even superior to what I was using.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
I've been away a few days on a mana build in RG so now I unlocked all the autocasting things except the last one that needs an ascension. Do these ever actually become relevant? Because planned autocasting is confusing as gently caress and I can't think of a situation where priority autocasting isn't enough.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

frankenbeans posted:

I suspected it would come in useful later. I didn't have any use for it up to the first prestige though (lvl 300 Hard), so I just went for resources and damage to smash through some levels.

Must have changed some. Hard 200 used to be basically impossible with regular damage. Or maybe I'm thinking about insane, it's been at least a year since I played.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

GrossMurpel posted:

I've been away a few days on a mana build in RG so now I unlocked all the autocasting things except the last one that needs an ascension. Do these ever actually become relevant? Because planned autocasting is confusing as gently caress and I can't think of a situation where priority autocasting isn't enough.
If you want a spell to be active all the time: make it bronze
If you want to do a bunch of spell after you build up 100% mana, then make them silver
If one of the spells you have expires faster than the others, make it gold, and make TC the last gold one you set. This will give it a chance to cast the quick expiring spell again without waiting for mana to completely refill.
And the stupid slider thing usually stays at 100% because it should work in the opposite way (but then you'd have less reason for convoluted casting upgrade system I guess).

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

My knowledge isn't necessarily accurate because I did UL15 before merc research, which took a while. If you can make the push to merc research, getting all lineages to 20 is trivial. At R82, getting them all to 25 is trivial. I got up to R75 with T5 spells, including Night Time. T6 spells but no Night Time might be equivalent or even superior to what I was using.

In unlocking Dragon 4, I got T6 for all faceless and dragon spells, so I think I'll push on to 75, then. SS T5 to T6 went from a 130,000% boost to 960,000% boost. It's definitely nothing to sneeze at.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

GrossMurpel posted:

Priority autocasting was useful for a while after I got it, but after a certain point your mana regen gets high enough that you can just keep everything on Bronze.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

GrossMurpel posted:

Planned Autocasting is useful to spam tax collection while all your other spells are up, cast a shorter-duration buff multiple times while all the long-duration ones are still active, or if you don't quite have enough max mana to cast all your spells but regen enough to cast the last one before the others all expire.

Efficient Autocasting is much more niche, but still useful if you're trying to build up casts of a particular spell as quickly as possible, or get clicks with the elf spell, and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 15, 2017

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sindai posted:

Planned Autocasting is useful to spam tax collection while all your other spells are up, cast a shorter-duration buff multiple times while all the long-duration ones are still active, or if you don't quite have enough max mana to cast all your spells but regen enough to cast the last one before the others all expire.

Efficient Autocasting is much more niche, but still useful if you're trying to build up casts of a particular spell as quickly as possible, or get clicks with the elf spell, and probably some other things I'm forgetting.

Actually, I need efficient autocasting if I want my TC to fire while my main spells are active, disregarding the maximum mana I've set, right?
Then again it probably doesn't matter too much to be able to cast TC once or twice when mana regenerates if I already cast it 30 times just with my max mana.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I'm trying to get druid faction challenge 3, and it seems like I'm doing everything correct but it won't give it to me. It seems like every time I go for one of these, there's some unwritten caveat that forces me to try 3-5 different times before it takes. really frustrating

If the reincarnate button says reincarnation 19, does that mean I'm on R19 or thats what it costs to get to R19?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

peepsalot posted:

I'm trying to get druid faction challenge 3, and it seems like I'm doing everything correct but it won't give it to me. It seems like every time I go for one of these, there's some unwritten caveat that forces me to try 3-5 different times before it takes. really frustrating

If the reincarnate button says reincarnation 19, does that mean I'm on R19 or thats what it costs to get to R19?

That means you are on R19.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

peepsalot posted:

I had issues with that one too. Following what's on the wiki worked for me:

1.Buy Max Farms, Max Inns, Max Blacksmiths, and Max Deep Mines. > Cast Grand Balance
2.Buy Max Stone Pillars and Max Alchy Labs > Cast Grand Balance
3.Buy Max Monasteries, Max Labys, and Max Iron Strongholds > Cast Grand Balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Ok, so I meet that R19 requirement.

When it says 1000 excavations, do I need exactly that many?

I have no idea what else I could be doing wrong.