Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kyrosiris posted:

That said, do take lessons from Kittens Game: glacial pace of play combined with painfully low caps on resources is loving awful.

Unless there's a drat good reason for it I would probably say that there shouldn't be storage caps at all, and if there are, introduce the ability to automate improving them early.

The big issue with Kittens Game is that it's paced like an idle game but isn't really one. The game is clearly designed for active play through and through and even the automation options you can unlock later on are woefully inefficient compared to simply managing your resources yourself. But because everything moves so slowly it's hard to really feel like you're progressing as you spend all your time fiddling with all the resource management.

That said, the game improves significantly with an autoclicker of some kind that allows you to actually focus on big-picture macro decisions that impact the growth of your arbitrary numbers. Nobody should have to suffer the hassle of mass clicking craft all beams/slabs/steel/alloys/concrete/etc etc etc again and again and again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I just wish Kittens Game didn't go into endless grindy purgatory right when all of its balls-to-the-wall options start becoming viable.

I definitely recommend an auto-clicker for that one lest progressing in it starts to become a full-time job.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Samuringa posted:

I thought I'd eventually unlock some automation but I guess I'm jumping to Paperclips then :v:

Oh you do unlock automation.

And it suuuuuuuucks.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Devor posted:

This experience is so different from mine that we're basically playing different games, and the recent additions of expensive minimally-beneficial multipliers as the PP rewards is very indicative of a lot of the recent updates.

I'm not saying it's the wrong thing for your how you earn your dollars - but 5% multipliers for pixaal that take a couple days of PP production from him, is a 5% multiplier that would take me several weeks of PP production - and that's ignoring that I already have a dozen better things to spend PP on.

Lots of these features are 'rich get richer' - and again, I'm not saying that's wrong - but I would just suggest that you think about how you can incorporate features such that some minimal investment gets you a lot of benefit, before introducing the big ticket items for whales to buy. The 'newbie' purchases for PP are a good example, and I think if you included more of them, it would feel better.

I think there are enough cheap boosts in these updates to facilitate newer players so I don't see the problem. The expensive stuff is there for people who can get it.

Don't save up for expensive/time-consuming stuff in NGU. It's almost never worth it, and the cases where it is it will be immediately obvious.

Simply buy what you can afford. Prioritize EXP gain to be able to buy things that will help you do everything else and don't sweat the big stuff because by the time you need them you'll be in a position to acquire them with less hassle.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The game keeps listing my optimal ITOPOD floor at 0 no matter what my actual stats are or anything else that affects my game.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

something posted:

Are you on the latest hotfix, 403-1? There was a bug in 403 that cause optimal floor to set start/end floors to 0/20.

Ah, I didn't see an update so I didn't bother refreshing, wonder how often it actually checks for them.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Maybe make the normal NGUs still available and buildable in Evil mode but slash their diminishing returns starting point and curve harshly, kind of like how Realm Grinder Ascension levels still let's you use all the old upgrades but at severely reduced effect. Basically they'd still provide a smaller but noticeable boost to players that invested into them before switching to Evil (and could even still be raised if needed) but quickly become outpaced by the new Evil NGUs until eventually they're no longer worth investing energy and magic into.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Phssthpok posted:

Some notable ones from the last several months:

Bitburner - programming idle game. Most of the content consists of challenges. The custom scripting language has a ton of bugs the developer keeps trying to patch, so if you like hunting for zero-days, this is a lot of fun.

Heart of Galaxy (fullscreen link) - 4x idle game, gets impossible to manage the trade routes without tampermonkey scripts. Great paradigm shifts when you unlock technologies that enable new resources on old planets. Offline progress limited to 1000 minutes.

Idle Loops - simulation of creating a script to play an idle game. Lots of interesting paradigm shifts for such a small set of core mechanics. It has an ending. Offline progress limited to 80% speed (but set the "offlineRatio" javascript variable to change that).

Clickpocalypse 2 - dungeon crawling idle game. A few years old, but discussed here recently. Most of the content consists of unlocking new classes and completing challenges and achievements. Offline progress limited to 12-16 hours.

Structure - abstract idle game, introduces new mechanics very slowly over several weeks. Most of the gameplay consists of learning how these new mechanics work. Full offline progress.

Artist Idle - pretty straightforward. 3 or 4 tiers of resets. Offline "speed boost" mechanic seems incredibly crippled (about 1% time accumulation, or maybe limited to 1 hour?).

Supply Chain Idle - idle capitalism simulation. Just got an update after 2 years. Fun, but seems a little too heavily monetized.

Heart of Galaxy is pretty fun in the few hours I dabbled with it, though I'm already starting to get Anno flashbacks given just how quickly it demands complex supply-chan management right from the word go. Pretty interested to see how the gameplay progresses, though it's so dense already that I fear it'll only be something I can check on every so often.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Investing in energy/magic cap/power is your foremost concern right now, as you need it to facilitate anything else. Completing the early armor sets is also a plus as you get pretty solid EXP and very useful early flat boosts to several important Energy/Magic related stats. The Forest Set and the Cave Set in particular are both very very important, providing roughly the equivalent of ~3000 EXP between both their completion bonuses. And while doing both Power and Cap at a 4:1 ratio is fine, you'll probably be better off leaning just a bit towards prioritizing Power during this time as much of the early game gear provides boosts specifically to Power.

Also, if you haven't already, get a level 100 Forest Pendant. That is arguably the single most important investment you need to make in the early game to make the transition to Time Machine gold generation work smoothly.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I just wanna be able to reserve slots for Titan loot so that I can actually idle Adventure without having to filter everything non-Titan.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Early on you only really want enough magic power/cap to get to level 1 or 2 in the time machine in a not-unreasonable time frame, anything beyond that is just diminishing returns that aren't nearly worth it when doubling/tripling your gold rate from the jump is more than good enough.

You need energy for pretty much everything so focus on that pretty hard.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

tolaziforname posted:

I'm kind of confused on where to go in NGU. I'm early on at about 4.5k xp spent, highest boss of 58 after an overnight run. My highest training cap is 381. I hit time machine 3 on my 30m rebirths. I'm farming the cave to level my cheese set. Am I just supposed to be farming XP to keep increasing energy or should I focus on magic?

I'm unsure of where the next break/milestone is and how fast I'm exactly heading for it.

Edit: just read the previous post on this page with much the same question. :downs: I guess I'll focus on energy and farming xp to get my time machine (energy) to higher levels each run

Your most immediate goal should probably be getting strong enough to defeat the first Titan, since you've gotten as far as Boss 58. The gear he drops is definitely better than anything else you can get for a while and he drops significantly more gold than any enemy you can fight in the available Adventure fields. A higher base gold drop for your Time Machine is crucial as the higher GPS cascades into being able to level up augments faster and run more blood magic which in turn lets you fight more bosses for experience in a given rebirth. Aside from that just keep pumping into energy power and cap and bars in any way possible and it'll eventually start paying dividends.

Also don't ignore challenges.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Huh, so I'm at Mega Lands now in NGU in the middle of a long rebirth just to grind up adventure stats so I can idle it and max out the gear before going for quick EXP runs into back-filling a bunch of challenges I've been neglecting, and I'm starting to see why there was so much talk about this section earlier in the thread. I'm really not sure where the transition point was supposed to be from Gaudy Gear to Mega Gear without the multiplier from Adventure Diggers and without some of the gear dropping fully boosted. Not unless you spend days grinding out AT levels and NGU stats anyway, not to mention getting the lv 0 sword to 40000 attack from wherever it started on before.

As it is in my experience anyway the transition has been relatively painless so far, only about a day total to get to the rough break-even point for idling Mega Lands after leveling up the gaudy set, though I still needed several hundred AT levels and every GPS I could squeeze out for level 22 diggers to get there. Not to mention all the Fruit/Pill stats which add up surprisingly quickly over time. UUG is probably gonna take some work though but if you needed any more feedback about how this part of the game goes with the last several updates, I'm happy to say it seems fine so far.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Man I had been planning on doing at least two troll challenges today cause I really want that Magic NGU multiplier and accessory slot, and in fact I probably still could, but after the first one I'm like "nuts to that"

It's not even hard so much as it's like babysitting a small child and I refuse to do anymore unless I can just blow through them.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The troll challenge is just a regular rebirth except every couple minutes 4G personally fucks your game up in some way (i assume he does them all by hand rather than having it done via code).

It starts off small like 50 popup boxes to close, or a giant stupid goddamn loving cat that slowly, ever so slowly inches its way up your screen, obscuring everything. Maybe he resets your energy to 0 (which also halts your basic training until you re-assign the energy). Annoying poo poo, setbacks, etc.

Then every 5 trolls or something is a big troll that just RUINS your run like totally disabling beards, wandoos, or NGU, or dividing your boss multiplier (thus lowering your number on rebirth).

Somehow it's the most compelling, infuriating, interesting challenge and no other idle game has ever done something so brilliant.

gently caress you, 4G. I mean that in the best way possible.

I'm a personal fan of the big troll that makes every button have a 75% chance to take you to a random menu instead of the one you actually want, that's a barrel of fun when you have to reassign everything after you inevitably get ruined by another troll :suicide:

Also getting your blood rebirth wiped out is the literal worst because even the regular trolls can do that so every two minutes you're playing chicken with your own rebirth number.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 19, 2018

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

So uh, in NGU the listed calculations for Blood Spaghetti and Counterfeit Gold seem to be off? They're both listed as logarithmic functions but it seems you're adding a +1 to those log results without telling us. It's inconsequential for Blood Spaghetti since the bonus just ends up being +1 from what it should be, but for Counterfeit Gold there's a slight but measurable difference in the final result if you're squaring a number +1 higher than expected. In my current rebirth for example I have 585,660,000 blood sacrificed for a 103% gold bonus. Plugging in the numbers for log2(585.66)^2 gives a result of 84 (rounded down) instead though. However, if I do (log2(585.66)+1)^2 it gives me the 103 number the game is telling me.

So either the calculation needs to be corrected to match the tooltips, or the tooltips should be changed to reflect this error. Which you decide to do is up to you of course. :v:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

If you want to do something about building placement/supply chain mechanics and whatnot, you probably want to look at something like Anno as much as you would Factorio. Factorio's gameplay emphasizes aesthetics and interesting methods of automation to achieve a goal with the added subgoal of not getting run over by aliens. Anno (the good ones anyway) are more focused on other aspects like supply-and-demand, resource and space scarcity, and supply chain efficiency (efficiency isn't as important in Factorio because resource scarcity isn't really a thing).

Not that I'm advocating any specific approach from these but I think it's useful to look at contrasting examples of gameplay systems in similar genres to see what tradeoffs and what direction in gameplay you want to go for rather than just looking at one game you really like and using that as a primary template.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I stopped playing RG partly because I reached the end of the current content at the time but also partly because it just became a game of "copy the most efficient build from the wiki for what you want to do and wait"

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Thread, convince me that 50k AP is worth a cute kitty with a cute ribbon :thunk:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Would you say it's worth going for the 50 PP perk to get macguffins from ITOPOD immediately (I'm making about 1 PP every 1.25 hours or so in my current hands-off rebirth and have 19 banked currently) or just keep pumping it into gold and other relatively cheap stuff? The EM Power/Cap perks and both NGU perks are maxed out already for what it's worth.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

For what it's worth Evolve seems to be a lot better about giving you decent options for both active and idle play without arbitrarily locking you into either than Kitten's Game ever was. To give some examples, the marketplace lets you actually balance your economy by letting you easily convert excess resources into the One Thing you actually need without having to wait for said One Thing to tick up slowly, trade routes do basically the same thing except while idle, craftsmen are actually good and quite useful unlike their Kitten's Game counterparts, and any deficiency in basic resources that you can't easily buy can probably be made up for by occasionally pressing the button to loot and pillage, provided RNG doesn't screw you.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

GrossMurpel posted:

I finished a monument before resetting just to see what it does.
Not worth it lol

When you're going into space and swimming in morale you're going to want all the morale cap bonuses you can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Sage Grimm posted:

I also bounced from Idle Idle Gamedev. The prestiging idea is sound but the challenges are Fan-gated pretty heavily so you aren't changing the game environment enough to satisfy me. Balance is still in the alpha stages of development too, it feels like.

The trek to the Blackhole achievement in Evolve is uuuugh. There's incentive to pursue it because it gives a substantial storage bonus. But it's literally the only thing you're working on at that point in the game so it's really boring. Ship's built, maxed out current capacity for probes and maybe I can develop the Red Planet out more for increasing Mine/Ziggurat production but I've been more limited by Cement than anything else so far.

Yeah in my current Evolve experience Cement ends up being the single biggest bottleneck in pretty much all stages of the game. Everything else, even the late Space stuff, seems to eventually ramp up in a way where they're no longer holding things up but you never ever have enough Cement.