Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
my least favorite part of clicking games is the part where I have to actually click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I played the outside game once and tried to reincarnate but all that happened was I got locked in a padded room for a little while

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I think the art looks okay but realm grinder sounds like it requires actual effort to progress through so instead of playing it I'll just continue idling vicariously through other people

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's called money.
You earn it while you're at work instead of playing video games.

But I can't idle at work and the upgrades take years to earn and all the managers are way too expensive to buy :(

Whoever released work needs to do a balance patch, thanks in advance

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Poultron posted:

I'm kind of feeling this way too. I've played a lot of different incrementals lately that all individually have some interesting idea or gimmick, but none that have really kept my interest for very long at all. Realm Grinder was the last one I sunk many, many hours in, but I haven't come back since the new stuff was added recently. It just seems like it takes too long.

I think the "genre" as weird as it still is to call it that could really use more games like Shark Clicker or Crank. Games that either have a story or at least have an aesthetic that implies one. For me, just seeing the numbers go up isn't quite enough anymore. I want a reward too! It's basically impossible to find any games like this, though. Even the monstrously huge tapper market on mobile is basically devoid of anything new that I've found.

There definitely hasn't been anything new under the sun recently.

One thing I'd like to try and make if I ever have any free time again is something with a multiplayer element. The singleplayer part would have the expected idle/mmo-esque elements. You'd have a character that automatically fights monsters, can be geared and dressed up, factions to join, etc. For the multiplayer part, you'd submit your character data to a database, then a client I have my own computer would fetch random characters and form a sort of idle raid group that fights monsters together, while streaming everything to twitchtv. Random people in chat could contribute... something. Maybe bet on who they think will die first.

Unfortunately I don't have time for anything new right now.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I downloaded Realm Grinder onto my Fire tablet and somehow it loaded my Kongregate save from when I briefly played the game 6+ months ago :tinfoil:

The text is very small and I can't imagine how anyone plays this on a regular phone.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

pixaal posted:

Realm Grinder chat had been basically dead for almost a year, everyone is relapsing. We need new idle games that are good and worth discussing.

Someday I might finish my idle side project/spin off game and then maybe I'll become the flavor of the week again. It's actually around 70% done but :effort:

Here is a preview of things that might come to be sooner or later but probably not for awhile

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Didn't you make a few other neat ones, an RPG guild and some sort of spaceship factory thing?

I have a few others idle games I've made and posted in this thread. Some were kind of bad, others were alright but pretty forgettable. My newest thing makes my previous projects look like baby's first attempt at making a game, and I haven't even finished putting in all the features yet.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

I posted this a few weeks/months ago. Here is a link if anyone wants to try it:

Test the game

Keep in mind this isn't a release, this is a limited edition test version. There are probably a lot of glitches, unbalanced things and other issues. If your save data doesn't fall into the abyss, it won't carry over into in future versions. It's also only going to be available for a few days.

But I do have an online ticket system, so if you play test it for me, or if you find some kind of game breaking issue or a really unbalanced build, I can gift you fabulous rewards in the future :wink:

shs
Feb 14, 2012
The game not running in a tab is some browser technical thing that I can't do anything about. You can fix it by pulling the tab out into its own window.

Xtanstic posted:

Immediate impression: the upgrade menu is a tad confusing. Each character having differing attack bonus is weird. Feels more natural to just have a scaling atk bonus? Also there's sound/music options but I'm guessing it's not implemented yet?

The upgrade menu is probably something I'll reorganize before the end. I was trying to avoid doing the exact same thing every other idle game does with building/unit upgrades.

And music and sound effects aren't implemented, because I don't actually have any music or sound effects to use :whitewater:

shs
Feb 14, 2012
Generic exceptions and out of memory errors are going to going to be an unfortunate part of life right now. Definitely don't go in expecting a release ready game.

I uploaded a new version (0.36) with some small improvements. Same link as before

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I think the host I'm using treats each new upload as a brand new, unique game and thus doesn't recognize older saves. That's... undesirable. I guess I won't update the game again.

On the bright side, I wasn't planning to use them for the official release.

If anyone wants to test the support code system (it's under Game status), here are some Heroic Gem codes:

bo1-d8d6-5hi
7kf-wc3o-6sy
1yg-18pt-46m
gs4-cx8s-nto
5i8-eta5-h5s
fw4-oco5-hs6
tjm-1o4w-ssr
i4y-dsxw-4op
7u8-roac-ra4
313-5ti9-sfc

You have to manually type them in (including the hyphen) because ~Unity~.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Suggestion: The dismiss all button shouldn't dismiss tutorial messages.

Edit: Suggestion2: A manual save button, or some indicator that I've successfully saved.

Edit2: Was the new version supposed to delete my save?

Edit3: How does the online ticket system work? I don't see that option.

Are you sure the close all button closed the tutorial messages? Aside from the two intro messages (which I fixed now), it shouldn't be. The tutorial messages all have yellow titles.

I'll add a manual save before the real release.

habituallyred posted:

The new version certainly deleted my save. I don't like the mouse over gems to collect them system, but at least it seems to be optional here.

The gems get auto picked up after 2-3 seconds, or you can change the Graphics Level to low (it's the one setting that does things).

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Experience seems weird. I've got a bunch of bonuses to it, but the Mission/Combat level increases don't seem to reflect it at all, and there's no way to see actually what my bonuses from it are.

Also, you misspelt additional power on the basic enchant scroll.

e: also, you can instantly heal yourself anytime you want to by going back or forward.

Are you talking about the experience boosting consumables? Those are just one time increases, they don't give you a multiplier. But that's something I might change in the future, since there are currently very few ways to increase your experience gains.

It might not be obvious since I haven't updated the game, but I am fixing all of the typos everyone points out.

edit: the craft item rewards are broken, but they (and many other things) will be fixed before release :science:

shs fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 6, 2017

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

When scrapping items, there needs to be a faster way to clear the "Are you sure you want to scrap this" popup. Either let me tap enter or have some way to mass scrap things.

I'll add enter as a way to confirm.

Kyrosiris posted:

I'd also like to have a comparison of what I'm switching against when changing equipment.

Also dealing with trinkets are so fiddly.

Can we also have any sort of indication when a proc-based one triggers?

If you aren't already, you should go to the equipment tab and use the Weapon/Armor/Shield/Trinket Inventory buttons. It makes changing gear easier.

When an active trinket is active there should be some yellow text with a timer underneath the HP bars that shows the buff and a timer. Depending on the region it might be hard to see. If it never appears that might be an issue.

Ghostlight posted:

I guess I am? But also the experience boosting equipment and achievements - I got far enough to find out that levels were consumable, but it seems then that experience is a huge trap stat.

It turns out the mission and combat level experience calculators had some issues but rest assured they'll be taken out behind the shed and put down tenderly cared for in the future.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I'm working on a sort of item comparer. When you open the inventory through the equipment tab, your currently equipped item(s) will show up on top of the list, like this. That's probably the best I can do while still keeping the UI mobile friendly. Because I might actually put this on mobile instead of just claiming I will then never doing it, or so I tell myself.

In case anyone was wondering, I have invisible leader boards implemented into the game, so you can't see me but I'm silently watching you progress through the game :cthulhu:. Whoever reached level 55 and has 106 rewards unlocked is currently winning the test build.

I'm probably going to take down the test build in ~12 hours or so, so if you have any input you'd like to get in, you'd better hurry.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Klungar posted:

Is the game down now? I can't get past the "Checking Server" step of initialization.

Yeah, that's it for now.

Thanks to everyone who tried it out. I don't when the real release will be, but I'll post here when it happens. Expect to see a bunch of incremental improvements. I'll also give everyone free premium currency and maybe something more.

The highest level someone reached was 67.Whoever you are, you won the thing.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
Once I posted here complaining about how the Lost Idols game had daily quest type things that required you to click. Well I want you to know that in my game I posted here a little while ago I added not just daily click events but also achievements that require you to complete daily click events because I'm just the worst person :kheldragar:

The click events have a low chance to appear, at least.

I'll probably actually release the game (on web) in October. Maybe.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
There's 5 possible daily bonuses that can appear each day, all of which are counted for the achievements, and one of which involves clicking between 250 and 500 times, which you'll probably get without thinking about when you're trying to push through a boss. Not only will this likely not ruin the game or make it unplayable, you might even enjoy the free items you get afterwards.

shs fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 4, 2017

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I've posted things I've made here in the past and have just about always made change when people have made suggestions. There's not really a need to run a smear campaign against me me because 1 brand new feature that's not in the release yet (because the game isn't actually going to be released for another month or two).

Since it's not a popular thing, I'll remove the daily click bonuses.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

GrossMurpel posted:

Incidentally, is there any accessible version of the game anywhere since I missed it the first time around?

I'll probably do another round of testing before I release it, but I don't when exactly. Monitoring forums and responding to questions/comments/complaints is actually very taxing and I don't have the time or energy for it right now.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
Unity WebPlayer builds (which require the addon, and ran moderately well, and was actually nice to developer for) ran in the background. But then addon was killed. Unity WebGL builds (which use javascript and are unfun for everyone involved) need to be focused or in their own window or they get throttled.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Play them in Steam, where it can log the hours you've wasted in the game and show them to all of your friends! :downs:

I always wondered, do people on Steam actually like idle games and spend money of them? (other than Adventure Capitalist and Clicker Heroes, which would make money anywhere). I remember back when Steam Greenlight was a thing and games needed votes to get onto Steam, people would show up in mobs to express how much they hated idle games.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Poultron posted:

Moral quandary: Does the new Lineage 2 Revolution on Mobile count as an idle game? I was thinking of starting a clan or something on it if I can't find a goon one.

It has has some idle elements but I think calling it an idle game is stretching it.

I'm still playing it though (on iphone) because I played massive amount of Lineage 2 when I was in highschool and it's really weird to me that Lineage 2 is a thing again. I wonder how much it costs to siege Aden or fight Anthras or skip my class change quest.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
just :aslol: if you're not playing your clicker games on a 5ghz overclocked battlecruiser

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Samuringa posted:

Well, I might as well dump Clicker Heroes before I get invested and begin Realm Grinder then.

Thanks for the tips.

chaos option: play both games at the same time and also two or three others as well

shs
Feb 14, 2012

shs fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 12, 2018

shs
Feb 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

feedback: I can't Tab between fields on the "create a cloud save account" page on your local website

That's something I'm aware of but for a simple thing it takes a surprising amount of effort to implement :eng99:

I assure you the rest of the game has much more effort put into it

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Oenis posted:

Uhm, how do you buy anything other than Attack Up upgrades? Does that come later?

edit: Nevermind, apparently that's through mastery upgrades.

edit2: One small gripe/pet peeve is that you unlock daily missions before you can do most of them. I'd sure love to do infusions and start a mission, but I have no idea how or what they even are and when they unlock.

edit3: Also holy smokes that scaling. The first two bosses felt well balanced and just manageable, suddenly the level 30 boss is just a huge wad of HP and I can barely make him maybe half dead before the enrage timer kicks in. The grind is real and if that's par for the course, eh. Like, I know this is an idle game, but everyone knows you gotta feed the players rewards and progress in the first few hours.

The level 30 boss is a wall but you should be beatable within an hour or two of reaching him if you're using all the mechanics available to you. The game does have a lot of little features that aren't immediately obvious, though. Some of the information here might help:

https://www.kongregate.com/forums/1002340-ef-universe-endless-battle/topics/1635692-faq-for-newer-players

After you beat him everything you need to complete daily bonuses is available.

Elixirs work like this: Press Create -> Receive permanent stat increase.

Violet nuggets make them 35% stronger. This is something I'll add to the confirmation prompt in the next update.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I really like some of your older games, specifically Spaceport Command and Idle Raid Guild. Any plans to remake them?

I wouldn't count on it. Working on this game plus the other game I'm making are extremely time intensive and I have very little time for anything else.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
If anyone tried to play my game earlier in the day, you might've encountered a ton of errors. The game's back end service provider decided to crash and burn and take me with them, but it's "probably" fixed now. Such great timing :mad:

If you look at these graphs you can probably identify when the issue took place

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

@shs: Any word on any of this?

Also:
  • What effect does smiley/frowny faces have on party members?
  • Why do party members change active item boost on mission swap?
  • Can we get a better party management interface (sort, sets, etc.)?
  • Can you change the "Buy" button to "Max" after a 1-time purchase is made?
  • Can we get a "Open all lootboxes" button?
  • Can you move the "Loyal Bonding" Forge over with the rest of the "for the rest of this mission" buffs?

You can post here and I'll read it, but 99%+ of the people playing the game are on Kongregate so that's where I spend most of my time. It's actually kind of strange watching 200+ people slam themselves into the game.

• Idle party members transfer 50% of their attack to Hero (this is explained on the party screen). If you make a character active you'll lose the attack bonus (until you get a specific mastery) but they'll give bonuses and item boosts and help you fight.
  • If you click the Advanced button it should become clear what the faces mean.
  • Party member item preferences should change every 2 days. But there are a few edge cases that cause them to change early.
  • All of the Max 1 Purchase items are always active forever.
  • Stat consumables carry over between missions.
  • You get 4 monster points per kill. That's it. Buying the mallet makes it 5 (this isn't listed because there's not enough space on menu).
  • Monsters will occasionally seek asylum in your party (it's random between 2.5 and 5 hours)

UI improvements will happen gradually as time goes on. The game is more complex than most people can comprehend and there's a massive volume of information that needs to be displayed, so things take time.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I really enjoyed this and it was working great at first, but for the last few days it's been super lagged and running at like 1/5 speed and basically not playable.

(I'm running your website version, not Kong)

I've been shotgunning out updates at least once per day. It's possible all the tubes are clogged. You might try clearing your cache.

It's also one of those games that won't run at full speed unless its tab is focused or it's in its own window.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
edit

shs fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 12, 2018

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

what engine/toolset are you using?

Very delayed response, but the game is a Unity WebGl game. Hence why it requires a high end computer and still has questionable performance.

The mobile versions will be much better. My iphone SE runs the game better than my i7 7700k. Those will probably be available in 2 weeks or so.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
edit

shs fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 12, 2018

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Carados posted:

I feel like there is screen size issues... I can't see where to spend my coins at all.

Can you be specific?

Which version are you playing? If it's the web version and your resolution is less than 1280x720, the game might be too large to fit everything into the iframe.
Have you tried clicking 'Hero' then 'Upgrades'?

shs
Feb 14, 2012

Carados posted:

On a galaxy s8+.

I don't have one of those phones with the super massive resolutions, so it's really difficult for me to test and fix issues like that. Can you... maybe lower your phone resolution to 1080p or 720p?

I'm starting to remember why I hate mobile development so much :shepicide:

shs
Feb 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Why do so many idle games have sound and music? It just seems like the worst "feature".

They make the game feel more complete. The hardcore fans of idle games might be annoyed by those things, but the general gaming population will often see a game with no music or sound effects and assume the game is cheap / lovely / broken. Even better if the music actually fits the game and wasn't downloaded for free from some bargain bin music website.

shs
Feb 14, 2012

something posted:

Oof this hits close to home. Just had a group of F2P regulars in the discord talk to me about p2w creep, which quickly turned into accusations that I got a taste of the money and am hamfisting AP slots into everything just to chase the money and other similarly nasty comments. Players that have been playing I believe over 300 days, no less. :smith:

Somebody called me an EA executive because I mentioned that a game I did made money. The dreaded m word that shall not be named makes some people really upset.

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I'm making a new thing. It's an idle game with a collectible card theme (crossing the streams :cthulhu:)

play it here

This is a test build, not an official release. Save data won't carry over to the release, but if you help me find things that are broken, confusing, or unclear, then the actual release will get here sooner.

Some of the art isn't finished. For the time being, all of the regions use the same background, and several hero/support cards share portraits.

This screenshot probably seems incomprehensible, but if you play the game for a few minutes, it'll all makes sense. Probably.

If you played one of my previous games, I want you to know, this is what the cards were for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shs
Feb 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

okay, two seconds in and I'm clicking on a bunch of cards for slow unskippable animations and walls of literally meaningless text because I don't know what anything does yet

The start of the game being overwhelming is something I was concerned about. Of course I have a few ideas about how I can make it easier.

It's still the most complex game I've ever made. It'll take some time to understand all the mechanics.