Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

There are many permutations of the Signal. This one is more inclined to shitposting.

There's no ending because the trend at the time was for incremental games to never end and have some ridiculous infinite prestige cycle, and because the developer couldn't think of a suitable ending. Really, the ending is when you think you've seen enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

There are many permutations of the Signal. This one is more inclined to shitposting.

keldon posted:

I like it when games have a well-defined end point.

Aurora posted:

I don't!

I guess the only solution to this problem is to accept alienating large chunks of audience either way!

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Hey so I suspect people here might have an idea of this sort of thing in terms of what they don't like to encounter as players. This might not be suited to this thread as it's not directly discussing an idle game, lemme know if it's inappropriate and I'll take it to one of the gamedev threads instead.

Let's define an event as some sort of pop up box that allows a selection of choices, with or without resource costs, that lead to some action, positive or negative.

Given this definition, which of the following things would you prefer to happen?

1. Events trigger over time. This pauses resource gathering and the game in general until you make a selection.
2. Events trigger over time. Resource gathering continues, although for the purposes of the event you're treated as having whatever resources you had when the event popped up instead of what you had now, so you can't just wait out a cost for a week or whatever.
3. Events trigger over time, resource gathering continues, and you have about two minutes to make a decision before a default decision (the least risky one) is made for you.
4. Events are exclusively triggered by player action or in direct response to player action.

I'm trying to figure out a way to have effectively Paradox-style events in a game you can theoretically throw into the background, and pausing everything until you pay attention to the event seems like it's going to make some people mad. What would you prefer?

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Sindai posted:

I think 1 is fine as long as the game isn't designed to require lots of idling to progress, or there's a toggle you can hit to go between active and idle modes, and in idle mode you obviously wouldn't get blocking events.

Hm. Hadn't thought of having an active vs idle mode change. Although to be fair, I feel like if I was going to go down that route I'd just go with 4. If you're saying "I'm ready for events, give me events!", why not just give the player the event there and then?

DACK FAYDEN posted:

(are you asking for shark game 2 )

there's a reason it's gonna be shark game 2 and not an update to the main one and it's probably because it'll turn out almost completely unrecognisable sorry

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Indefensible. It is not that hard to have something update in the background at a reasonable rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

Hi, it's been a while since I've checked in on the incremental game scene, any major developments over 2016 I missed?