Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Ineptitude posted:

Lots of wasted space it is not possible to use due to awkward sizes of buildings and/or inability to rotate them

But that is the point, they are part-idler, part puzzle game. The puzzle part is getting an efficient layout from the parts that you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

widespread posted:

How do I make this efficiency problem with up to A4 in Factory Idle.

How to win at factory idle:
1 fill all available floor space with most profitable process
2 buy more floor space
3 fill floor space with best returning research and leave a bit of space for income generating process so that you don't out of money
4 wait loving ages
5 buy new process
6 back to 1

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, it's definitely in Flash. I was just workposting and my brain wasn't on - thus the (?).

And the language that flash uses is a javascript derivative, so it's sorta right.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

pixaal posted:

I've seen several games that do this, seems to be the best solution. Maybe throw up a message about background tabs when it happens.

It's caused by games doing a loop something like this:

code:
60 times a second:
{
     doStuff()
}
when they should be doing something like:

code:
whenever you can:
{
    doStuff( secondsSinceLastLoop )
    showStuff()
}
or the more sophisticated:

code:
whenever you can:
{
    do 60*secondsSinceLastLoop:
    {
        doStuff()
    }
    showStuff()
}
It's pretty simple programming to do this, I'm not too sure why this mistake is made so often.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012
When advancement of your number slows down you should:
1) set a specified time that you want to reset by (1h, 30m etc) to get that EXP.
2) Farm your current/next adventuring set, this and EXP are the main perm upgrades.
3) Do challenges. ( This can prolly wait until you pump up EXP/gear alot, the rewards are not that great, and the Rebirth Time Factor stops most easy ways of speeding through early bosses)

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Eldercain posted:

The biggest problem I have with it is how little the base loop changes and how wonky money is. It's currently a better use of my time not to buy more inspiration and to wait for fame than it is to do anything else. Nothing I can buy will make that less true since adding more gallery space becomes abhorrently more expensive with almost no benefit.

The school needs to add some meaningful goal or modify how you approach other features significantly. As it is since visas don't appear to scale in cost I might see what happens afternoon you get them all as well, but essentially you have to slog through 4 pictures, idle, and then you can slam into a visa the next day and it means most of the automation is never accessible and etc.

I think it shows a lack of insight into the fundimental reward pathways for games, let alone idlers. Got that micro store though!

You are doing it wrong. What you should be doing is getting as many museums filled out as possible, then moving. As long as you can do this fast enough, you'll be getting most of your fame from museums.

Although, you'll note that this strategy relies on fast first paintings after moves, so getting visas is vital, since they are on the only thing (well apart from $$$) that can speed up these first paintings.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Sell me on Artist Idle, please. I reached the point where I just gave a lecture for the first time only to see that the requirements loving increased twofold when my fame generation is .9 a second. There doesn't seem to be move forward except 'see what getting a second museum will do.'

By that time you've got students, and then the optimal game loop changes to:
- Max out students
- get all the max students you can afford
- put all your paintings into museums
- optional: build lots of museums and idle, only do this if you are like going to bed or something, and in the early part of this phase
- get a million dollars
- reset and go back to the start

Basically fame is only needed at this point for getting more max students per run. Money will be no problem because students excel at making it.

Still, I gotta say that I'm on a hiatus after doing the first successor.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

crime weed posted:

so, one reason why i love idle game is for the sake of writing scripts that play them for me (and optimizing said scripts) --- anti-idle RPG, NGU (thanks NGU guy!), among others have been great for that

i've been using AutoHotKey this entire time for my scripts, but its syntax sucks major rear end, and i hate it

does anyone know of any tutorials or example scripts out there for windows scripting in a better language (such as C#)?

thanks!

For doing scripting heavily, i recommend trying to script a javascript game. Just open up the developer console and cut and paste your javascript into that.

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

Other than Armory & Machine there's really just Clickpocalypse 2 (which despite the name has very little clicking). I played Idle Tap Zoo (before a name change) for quite a while but hit the edge of content before it came out of beta and other than sporadic releases of palette-swapped gem sinks the dev has moved on to his next attempt.

Everything else I've seen is tap-heavy, iap-heavy, or both.

I’ll add zombidle, and as a bonus, development has basically finished on it so you will have a chance to catch up to the end game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

something posted:

And so 4G learns a valuable lesson about future proofing code.

The real lesson about future proofing code should be that unless you can predict the future accurately, all the future proofing will be a waste of time.
All that work to make sure that your class structure can handle functionality X? A complete waste of time when it turns out that Y is needed and all the work for X just made Y harder to implement.